Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
I've only owned the game since January 2021, so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
Patch notes for Anno 1800 https://anno-union.com/updates/anno-1800-game-update-14-1/

Nion
Jun 8, 2008

The patch also seems to have removed the clay deposits on the little island in the Season of Silver scenario.

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

Hey, all - I'm getting back into this game after being away for a couple of years. I wandered away after getting Sunken Treasures and playing that out; what DLC since then is actually worth my time?

I'm mostly looking for more game play; I've done the "single huge city" thing, though if there's enough new stuff for a single huge city, I may rebuilt The Glory of Trelawney again. I've heard mixed things about The Passage, but good things about Land of Lions.

Anyways, reviews and directions appreciated!

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅
All the DLC aside from Botanica are pretty good. Of the two you mentioned though it sounds Land of Lions is more your thing.

The Passage: do you want zepplins and power plants without railways and are willing to build semi-complicated supply lines to do it?

Land of Lions: Do you want a story driven DLC with new mechanics and game breaking reasearch options?

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Darkhold posted:

All the DLC aside from Botanica are pretty good. Of the two you mentioned though it sounds Land of Lions is more your thing.

The Passage: do you want zepplins and power plants without railways and are willing to build semi-complicated supply lines to do it?

Land of Lions: Do you want a story driven DLC with new mechanics and game breaking reasearch options?

Noting that you can completely ignore the story in Land of Lions if you don't want to deal with it.

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

All right, grabbed Land of Lions, the Docks, and one other - the castle one of whatever - and will wait for the cosmetic pack to go on sale.

Thanks for the help!

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis
Oh my God gently caress actually building settlements in the Arctic. gently caress that so hard.

You want me to have how many technicians living on a loving glacier to dig gas out of there?

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis

Albino Squirrel posted:

Oh my God gently caress actually building settlements in the Arctic. gently caress that so hard.

You want me to have how many technicians living on a loving glacier to dig gas out of there? And we have to import everything? Go to hell, Anno.
Double post!

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Albino Squirrel posted:

You want me to have how many technicians living on a loving glacier to dig gas out of there?

I "roleplay" my Artic as a a penal thing, so they basically get 0 luxuries outside of Schnapps. Makes it way easier.
1 Big island for goods outside of those dogsleds.
Second island for dogsleds.

Import a lot of coal and if needed Brass, set up logistics. It's a decent bit upfront but once it get's going it's like a solved puzzle.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Albino Squirrel posted:

This video will help https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CmW7d-IBgyo

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

I have been running the same embark for awhile now and a couple weeks ago I found that I had assigned like seven schooners to schlep coal from my now-mostly-ignored starting map up to the arctic as they had been replaced by newer vessels elsewhere. Those dudes had been sailing mostly-full holds of coal back and forth for like 40 hours of gameplay before I noticed them and replaced them with a single Reefer carrying coal and all the other Old World stuff besides.

Eschatos
Apr 10, 2013

pictured: Big Cum's Most Monstrous Ambassador
The Arctic ain't so bad as long as you import absolutely everything that can be produced elsewhere, in large quantities. I believe this includes some of the Arctic only goods with docklands. I like to have one or two ships only transporting coal, and then a few more dividing up the various relevant goods, including wood and steel. Then an airship or two constantly ferrying consumables to the glaciers, and taking the fuel back to my main Arctic island.

Single Tight Female
Jan 17, 2008

Single Tight Female posted:

FWIW during last year's Ubisoft Forward event they had a reusable coupon for £10/$10 off that worked even on the Season 3 pass, which at that point had only released Docklands and Tourist Season. This was in early June.

This is live now btw, LEGEND22 for £10/$10 off a basket of at least £15/$15. Currently broken in the UK but working elsewhere, it brings Season 4 down to just over half price.

Kris xK
Apr 23, 2010

Single Tight Female posted:

This is live now btw, LEGEND22 for £10/$10 off a basket of at least £15/$15. Currently broken in the UK but working elsewhere, it brings Season 4 down to just over half price.

This also apparently works at the checkout so you can apply it to the cosmetic items.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

I hit a pretty serious bug in my game. All of a sudden I went from 25M to 850K. I checked my finances and I should have been up +42K which is what was shown in the upper left hand corner. Previously to this I'd gotten a mysterious DEFEAT message and lost the game, but I thought maybe it was because the Artic wasn't getting steady heating. I restarted after that and all seemed fine, and then boom lost 24M. When I quit and reloaded all was well but I think I'm putting this down until this bug is fixed. Anyone know how to report bugs?

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005

Mayveena posted:

I hit a pretty serious bug in my game. All of a sudden I went from 25M to 850K. I checked my finances and I should have been up +42K which is what was shown in the upper left hand corner. Previously to this I'd gotten a mysterious DEFEAT message and lost the game, but I thought maybe it was because the Artic wasn't getting steady heating. I restarted after that and all seemed fine, and then boom lost 24M. When I quit and reloaded all was well but I think I'm putting this down until this bug is fixed. Anyone know how to report bugs?

I dug a bit and found someone else who reported the same issue, this is on the Anno bug report forum: https://discussions.ubisoft.com/topic/155915/cash-balance-bug-after-trading-with-archibald-and-isabel?lang=en-US

Sounds like it's somehow caused by leaving a trade window open after buying from NPC harbors. So, I guess save before trading with NPCs, or just avoid that for now and you should be ok.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Yes thanks! It is due to npc trading.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

quote:

Npc trading bug
Interesting, a fairly novel way of balancing out the income from the multi-dlc income synergy. :wotwot:

I've been doing a new run to check out the highrise + newest dlc, and I feel it's a bit sad that they never did anything more with / extended the influence system.
Some of the bonuses and etc cap out fairly early, or not at all (Looking at you newspaper, where only certain combos let you get the maxed bonus, since the average cost has to be 100/article to hit it.), and it makes me wish they'd expand on/allow for more customization with the influence bonuses.

Buller
Nov 6, 2010
I want to start a new game but I can already imagine how long it will take to play :D

What DLCs do you people usually turn off?

Im thinking turning off the palace, dont know about the docklands.

Maybe turning off botany as well.

Shivers
Oct 31, 2011

Buller posted:

I want to start a new game but I can already imagine how long it will take to play :D

What DLCs do you people usually turn off?

Im thinking turning off the palace, dont know about the docklands.

Maybe turning off botany as well.

Why would you want to turn DLC you have off? If you're too overwhelmed, just leave it and don't interact with it until you feel like it.

Eschatos
Apr 10, 2013

Yeah, leave it all on and you can ignore any or all of it until you're ready. No reason to ever disable DLC.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

I have no idea when they did it, but I love that people from tourist-docks now just get auto-accepted, with a message about who you got and where they are.

A real QoL progression:
Popup that there is a person, but you have to go to the dock to check and accept.
Popup that there is a person, with their icon, and a yes/no to quick-accept without going there.
Auto-accept with a popup, because hey, if they're not useful then you can just dump them into the research academy anyhow.

Radiation Cow
Oct 23, 2010

Eschatos posted:

Yeah, leave it all on and you can ignore any or all of it until you're ready. No reason to ever disable DLC.

Unless you have brainworms like me and have to engage with all of the content in the game, and oh god, it's too much.

Banemaster
Mar 31, 2010
Does Anno 1800 update all the time, or just when I have started playthrough with various mods?

Edit. Or my mod loader just randomly wrecked itself. Have to investigate this...

Edit2. Starting the game without mods and then starting with mods solved the issue.

Banemaster fucked around with this message at 08:51 on Jun 1, 2022

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

Banemaster posted:

Does Anno 1800 update all the time, or just when I have started playthrough with various mods?

Edit. Or my mod loader just randomly wrecked itself. Have to investigate this...

Edit2. Starting the game without mods and then starting with mods solved the issue.

Every time the game updates you need to redo the mod activation. Activating mods rewrites/changes one of the configuration files, a change that gets rolled back on updates

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Also sometimes the mod loader just randomly shits itself and procs the error message about the wrong version. More often than not, really.

physeter
Jan 24, 2006

high five, more dead than alive
I’ve spent the last 2 days finally settling in with the new hacienda mechanics, and I imagine I’m not the only one trying to drag island attractiveness up to 1000+ in order to claim the big influence payout from obrero residences. Here’s some random notes in case they help anyone:

- A lot of attractiveness on an island comes from just doing nothing. Unbuilt space increases beauty. So generally being attentive ex. demolishing overproducing farms, cleaning up bad roads & rails, bricking up weak roads, etc etc is a good step forward. Choosing to upgrade warehouses rather than build new ones is another.

- In addition to the attractiveness debuffs most hacienda buildings carry, oil and fish oil buildings make your island uglier.

- The Bronze Age museum exhibit finally comes into its own. The previously unloved 60 influence set was always a vanity effort for me, but the +5 attractiveness and +5% production for New World orchards makes this a dream set for a big NW island that chooses to focus strongly on orchards and is going for the obrero unlock. Continuing the Bronze Age set renaissance, the +5 beauty buff also extends to lumberjack huts. So putting say 7 lumberjacks around a trade union with Ursula Green equipped (+8) will get you +91 attractiveness, if you care to centralize your lumberjackin’.

- Speaking of orchards, Get Rich Quick Vol I: Pestilential Profit has a +15 attractiveness for all orchards in the fine print. That was a big one for me.

- Gods of the Nile museum exhibit as always should be built once you have 3+ trade unions/town halls on an island and you can spare the parts, but don’t forget the set bonus also gives +30 attractiveness per trade union and town hall. So with just 2 TUs and a TH, you get ~130 beauty from the museum and +90 from the buildings, and you break even on the influence investment.

- My worst failed effort so far was building a 20 influence harbormaster in order to drag a tourist pier up to +60 attractiveness. I added an arctic tundra zoo set for an additional 30 influence investment, for a return of ~+250 attractiveness on the whole project. Sargasso Sea botanical garden set brought another ~130 beauty and tosses an additional +50 at the tourist pier, bringing the whole project to around +430 attractiveness in return for a whopping 110 influence investment. Diminishing returns if you add Sargasso Sea, stick to just the boosted pier and arctic tundra zoo set if you go this route.

- While I'm not a big fan of any of them, Marco de la Mocha, Crusher of Beans – adds 10 attractiveness for each coffee roaster. Elise "The Nose" Bouquet – adds 7 attract on Rum distilleries. Sommelier Raymond gives another +5 attract on those distilleries. Victor Perfecto, Cigar Daddy – 7 attract on cigar factories.

- I finally have a place to put all those legendary, non-set botanical gardens items. They are unappealing due to all looking the same once installed, but at +50 attractiveness per, they do a reasonable job of pushing the island over the 1k mark in clinch. It's about the same return you get on the boosted tourist pier/arctic tundra set, but you can keep adding modules.

Anyone else have any good tips?

Caconym
Feb 12, 2013

Do people know Nate will sell special scrap to trade post buy orders in Trelawney? I feel people should know this. Just 1 scrap each trip, but with a lot of trading posts it adds up while you're doing other things.
Now for the godawful arctic scrap...

Belial42
Feb 28, 2007

The Sleeper must awaken...with a damn fine can of Georgia coffee.
Thank you, that’s an amazing tip.

I’d bought Anno 1800 about a year ago and never got past Artisans. I really preferred 2205. Finally made a push about a month ago to get to Engineers and now my life has been subsumed by 1800. It’s an amazing plate spinner with so many different levers to pull. I’m happy with all the DLC except the Arctic (only done it once, felt really annoying like the worst parts of Arctic in 2205 with less space. Really looking forward to the next two DLCs.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
...turns out I was misreading the effects of tractors; I figured they did the same thing as silos (essentially multiplying output by 2.667) - when in fact they multiply it by 4. I need to turn off a bunch of farms. Any I'm glad I discovered this before doing the big New World centralisation overhaul, that's going to be a lot simpler. And given how good they are, I now think it would be worth shipping oil to Enbesa and getting some tractors going there too.

Caconym
Feb 12, 2013

Kazzah posted:

...turns out I was misreading the effects of tractors; I figured they did the same thing as silos (essentially multiplying output by 2.667) - when in fact they multiply it by 4. I need to turn off a bunch of farms. Any I'm glad I discovered this before doing the big New World centralisation overhaul, that's going to be a lot simpler. And given how good they are, I now think it would be worth shipping oil to Enbesa and getting some tractors going there too.

Absolutely worth it. And fertilizer from seeds of change DLC too. Why yes, I would like a single farm (of the 2 items/minute variety) to produce 14 items/minute without trade union bonuses.
I'm overproducing alpaca wool out the wazoo and dumping it to NPC traders just for the dung.

Eschatos
Apr 10, 2013

Caconym posted:

Do people know Nate will sell special scrap to trade post buy orders in Trelawney? I feel people should know this. Just 1 scrap each trip, but with a lot of trading posts it adds up while you're doing other things.
Now for the godawful arctic scrap...

I always keep two airships idling on the Arctic and periodically send them on straight line trips through the wastes when wind is favorable. Can usually get 10 scrap or so a trip for like a minute of work.

Caconym
Feb 12, 2013

Eschatos posted:

I always keep two airships idling on the Arctic and periodically send them on straight line trips through the wastes when wind is favorable. Can usually get 10 scrap or so a trip for like a minute of work.

Yeah, and you can see the outline of crates that are on top of ridges by manipulating the camera (go low so the ridges silhouette against the sky), but I want all the best items in all the things. :argh:

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

I just installed a mod that makes the artic vendor sell those scraps in limited quantity. It's not cheating, it's avoiding tedium.

At least special scrap can be passively bought.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Looking forward to the Industrial Cosmetic DLC, releases on June 28.

https://anno-union.com/devblog-industrial-zone-pack-cosmetic-dlc/

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Is there any reason to use the Hacienda corn farm over the normal corn farm in the New World? They both produce 1 per minute.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Maybe production of dung if you need it?

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

IncredibleIgloo posted:

Maybe production of dung if you need it?

How can corn produce dung?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Buller
Nov 6, 2010

Mayveena posted:

Is there any reason to use the Hacienda corn farm over the normal corn farm in the New World? They both produce 1 per minute.

Hacienda farm takes less space.