Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

bird food bathtub posted:

So if I'm reading that correctly, the definition of "Constitutional" is "What a Republican thinks is good". That about right?

Don't forget, the Democratic party didn't exist when the Constitution was signed. So when the Originalist Militias march leftists into the camps, that'll be the rationale! :shepface:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Woodchip
Mar 28, 2010

Milo and POTUS posted:

Like a lamb to the slaughter

https://twitter.com/lairofclair/status/1526832283151663104?s=21&t=EIsD82vCkbHty8XJofN2vA

Oxygenpoisoning
Feb 21, 2006
$50 says he’s poo poo posting through an incoming SEC investigation.

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1526997132858822658?s=20&t=UkhETJ_HfAaADBILah7RCQ

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Oxygenpoisoning posted:

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1526997132858822658?s=20&t=UkhETJ_HfAaADBILah7RCQ

There is no violence I wouldn't wish on this halfwit

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Oxygenpoisoning posted:

Given that the 5th Circuit just basically said the SEC has no regulatory powers...

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

I just hope I live long enough to see that dumbfuck Event Horizon himself.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Handsome Ralph posted:

I just hope I live long enough to see that dumbfuck Event Horizon himself.

Nah, hold out for the truest billionair death.

Dying on the operating table getting a dick enlargement surgery.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

CainFortea posted:

Nah, hold out for the truest billionair death.

Dying on the operating table getting a dick enlargement surgery.

Yes

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May
https://twitter.com/cmclymer/status/1526934467650232321

Sacrist65
Mar 24, 2007
Frunnkiss
https://twitter.com/TheRightCant/status/1524569437730390017?s=20

This is dark. There is no humor here, no joy, nothing clever. You can see it on his face.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Milo and POTUS posted:

There is no violence I wouldn't wish on this halfwit

Jesus Christ, he's really revealed himself as a douchenozzle to those who didn't already know it in the last few weeks, hasn't he?

Oxygenpoisoning
Feb 21, 2006
It’s literally just weird cult of personality poo poo. How anyone things Donald or Elon are epitome of awesome manliness completely boggles my mind.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".

Sacrist65 posted:

https://twitter.com/TheRightCant/status/1524569437730390017?s=20

This is dark. There is no humor here, no joy, nothing clever. You can see it on his face.

I'm jealous I didn't think of this and get someone to pay me to do it. Fake laugh.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

I love looking at those results and those memes, but it’s worth noting, if you look at Philadelphia he split it nearly evenly with Lamb.* That’s a sign that Fetterman and Dems in general, need to ensure that people who voted for Lamb aren’t discouraged from staying away from the election, and well just general in roads with people in Philadelphia who are POC.

That said Lamb pledged his full support, and so did Malcolm Kenyatta, so hopefully that can be of some help too.

At the same time the man does well in the sticks….and by well I mean curb stop.

https://www.cnn.com/election/2022/results/pennsylvania/democratic-primaries/senate

Marshal Prolapse fucked around with this message at 02:10 on May 19, 2022

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Hell yeah bring on the pox

https://www.9news.com.au/world/portugal-finds-5-monkeypox-cases-in-men-as-outbreak-spreads/288d482f-c92c-4bc8-95fb-99397fd5a62e

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Marshal Prolapse posted:

I love looking at those results and those memes, but it’s worth noting, if you look at Philadelphia he split it nearly evenly with Lamb.* That’s a sign that Fetterman and Dems in general, need to ensure that people who voted for Lamb aren’t discouraged from staying away from the election, and well just general in roads with people in Philadelphia who are POC.

The people who voted Lamb are gonna vote Blue No Matter Who.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
Woopsiedoodlies!

https://twitter.com/samstein/status/1527098123126030336?t=XsQl72l7EH6MuE8VhJW_iQ&s=19

Cyks
Mar 17, 2008

The trenches of IT can scar a muppet for life

Marshal Prolapse posted:

That said Lamb pledged his full support, and so did Malcolm Kenyatta, so hopefully that can be of some help too.

At the same time the man does well in the sticks….and by well I mean curb stop.

https://www.cnn.com/election/2022/results/pennsylvania/democratic-primaries/senate

Did you mean Kenyatta? Fetterman has 20k more votes in Philadelphia over Lamb.

Wrong Theory
Aug 27, 2005

Satellite from days of old, lead me to your access code

:piss: I mean he knows he's untouchable so gently caress it why not.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

FrozenVent posted:

The people who voted Lamb are gonna vote Blue No Matter Who.

I know that’s why it’s important to make sure they vote in November. Mass voter participation in Philadelphia can be a huge cudgel to the idiot parts of the state. My concern is that even though they’re two top ticket races in Pennsylvania, it’s still an off year in terms of no presidential election. I guess my concern isn’t so much convincing people in Philadelphia to vote for Fetterman then, it’s just encouraging high turn out.

Cyks posted:

Did you mean Kenyatta? Fetterman has 20k more votes in Philadelphia over Lamb.

Holy gently caress I misread that last night, but so much the better Kenyatta promptly endorsed him and offered to help. :)

I cannot believe I mixed that up last night. But it was Fetterman’s lowest share of I think anywhere in the state.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
Last I checked/saw, Fetterman clearly blew everyone out, but his percentage of the black democratic vote is kinda on the low side, so he has some work to do to turn them out. But, still hilarious how the establishment lined up behind Lamb and he got blown the gently caress out.

That said, Pennsylvania has some serious lol voting issues:

https://twitter.com/blakehounshell/status/1527104664843472898?t=T9wIDYqZFzjlsmoZq5V2qw&s=19

Granted as a basic poll worker, my job is to basically say "hey precinct captain, what do you need to close this stuff out" and they're *supposed* to know what they're doing. Looks like they *all* whoopsied and then created time for Donnie to yammer on about voter fraud because the Oz margin is dwindling as the late votes get counted.

And of course, shitloads of states refused to allow pre-processing of mail votes just so Donnie can tell fraud some more.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011
I am so glad we still just use a piece of paper and a pencil in Canada. :cripes:

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Kazinsal posted:

I am so glad we still just use a piece of paper and a pencil in Canada. :cripes:

That sounds much harder to complicate and monetize. I mean, I suppose we could develop an entirely new kind of pencil with a "lead" that's made out of a classified hodgepodge of carcinogenic chemicals to further punish poll workers for volunteering their time, and a holographically embossed paper inlaid with metallic fibers making each page cost at least :10bux:.

I mean, voting is the ~Foundation of Our Democracy and a SACRED TRUST~ (:jerkbag:)...we should really pull out all the stops to celebrate it and make sure it's *secure*!

:sigh:

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

Kazinsal posted:

And this is BETTER than it's been in the states for quite some time. There were a lot of states that just used touchscreen balloting and ZERO paper trail was generated at all.

https://youtu.be/EV_c1-YTk8M

But, now there are complete MAGA chud idiots demanding vote results by the end of voting night, while also banning the use of vote counting machines, while banning pre-processing of mailed ballots (or outright banning them).

And then there's the other extreme with New York State, which is so thoroughly infested with patronage hires in the election system that results typically take 2-3 weeks (on the low-side) to process.

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Problems look mighty small from 150 miles up.

facialimpediment posted:

Last I checked/saw, Fetterman clearly blew everyone out, but his percentage of the black democratic vote is kinda on the low side, so he has some work to do to turn them out. But, still hilarious how the establishment lined up behind Lamb and he got blown the gently caress out.

It looks like the establishment took a couple of big Ls last night despite a ton of money getting thrown against progressive candidates:

https://mobile.twitter.com/Redistrict/status/1526969639086989313?cxt=HHwWgoCxif2y8bAqAAAA

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.

And that man: Dick Cheney.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

I can't wait to buy a car without seatbelts or airbags again!

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

Oxygenpoisoning posted:

It’s literally just weird cult of personality poo poo. How anyone things Donald or Elon are epitome of awesome manliness completely boggles my mind.

Donald is the embodiment of the 80s businessman. While we all understand what a loser that makes him, some people actually want 80s businessman, whether it be due to Reagan nostalgia or a love of the "good old times before PC".

Some people really want Tony Stark to exist in real life. Elon is the closest thing we have in that he embodies all of Stark's flaws and looks technology adjacent. Never mind that Elon doesn't even have Stark's good points like being a brilliant engineer.

They've learned to love a fictional archetype that's already really flawed, so they latch on to a real human who happens to be even worse person by a big margin.

https://www.reuters.com/legal/government/us-supreme-court-takes-up-challenge-sec-in-house-tribunal-2022-05-16/

For a while now, the GOP has hated the https://ballotpedia.org/Chevron_deference_%28doctrine%29 and hated the idea of in-house tribunals of independent administrative law judges as used by the SEC, FDA, EPA, and others. This has all been part of a long term project to end that practice and force all regulatory action to be full jury trials, which will slow down regulatory action to a crawl in some places.

golden bubble fucked around with this message at 06:07 on May 19, 2022

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009

facialimpediment posted:

Granted as a basic poll worker, my job is to basically say "hey precinct captain, what do you need to close this stuff out" and they're *supposed* to know what they're doing.

I worked as an election clerk for the first time on Tuesday and boy howdy is "technical difficulties" not a surprising answer. Almost every single clerk, ballot officer and judge are elderly and absolutely incapable of learning anything new. And I mean anything. I basically had to be IT support for the multiple precincts voting at my location and honestly voters aren't much better.

Imagine your racist uncle and meemaw getting together at five am at McDonald's for coffee. Now give them ten minutes to set up a printer and scanner for the first time in their lives. What a horror show!

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

How does one sign up as a poll worker?

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

That Works posted:

How does one sign up as a poll worker?

Contact your local registrar of voters' office and indicate your desire to volunteer.

If you don't have one, figure out which agency handles polling in your area and contact them. They always need people. You'll have to sit through training videos and may or may not have to submit to a background check.

bengy81
May 8, 2010

A.o.D. posted:

Contact your local registrar of voters' office and indicate your desire to volunteer.

If you don't have one, figure out which agency handles polling in your area and contact them. They always need people. You'll have to sit through training videos and may or may not have to submit to a background check.

Contact your local political party of choice as well, at least in Colorado, they provide poll watchers and workers, and assist with counting ballots. The County Clerk is supposed to draw from a pool of volunteers and more or less have an equal amount of R's and D's, sometimes that works, most of the time it doesn't.
Locally, I've worked as a poll watcher and counter ballots, I would like to work an election, but lol at the time requirements. There is a reason only old people work elections.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

golden bubble posted:

For a while now, the GOP has hated the https://ballotpedia.org/Chevron_deference_%28doctrine%29 and hated the idea of in-house tribunals of independent administrative law judges as used by the SEC, FDA, EPA, and others. This has all been part of a long term project to end that practice and force all regulatory action to be full jury trials, which will slow down regulatory action to a crawl in some places.

One of those assholes (Alito I think?) has been specifically gunning for Chevron for a long rear end time. Its the perfect mix of insidious poo poo to basically destroy government as we know it by making laws as we know them unenforceable against anyone/anything with enough money while everyone else gets locked up with fifteen seconds to talk to their public defender before losing their case. You know, the Republican project.

Whichever one it is word vomits some verbal diarrhea about what's in the constitution as a fig leaf but it's the same poo poo where they pretend to be perfectly blind every time someone points out the impact of their decision then go right ahead and do what they want for the end result they want.

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Problems look mighty small from 150 miles up.

What's funny is that deferring to executive-administered agencies for policy decisions and enforcement was originally a Conservative push back in the 70s and 80s as a way to undermine and replace the New Deal and Great Society policies. Congress was still largely Democrat-controlled up through the 90s, so the general idea was to transfer authority over to executive agencies that could be more easily swayed towards business / conservative friendly positions through appointments and staffing versus trying to directly roll back liberal legislation. With Conservative control of the Supreme Court achieved the previous strategy has served its purpose and can now be dismantled to prevent a liberal or progressive administration from leveraging executive agency powers against Conservatism.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

golden bubble posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PKZKETizybw

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

bengy81 posted:

Contact your local political party of choice as well, at least in Colorado, they provide poll watchers and workers, and assist with counting ballots. The County Clerk is supposed to draw from a pool of volunteers and more or less have an equal amount of R's and D's, sometimes that works, most of the time it doesn't.
Locally, I've worked as a poll watcher and counter ballots, I would like to work an election, but lol at the time requirements. There is a reason only old people work elections.

Yeah around here (75% Biden district, 55% trump voters on E-Day) the exact job is called "Election Inspector" and we're the check-in people, we spoil ballots, run the IDs, track the affidavits, etc. Should be rephrased to "Election Worker" since we work directly for the city. Ballot counters/preppers/etc for the big city stuff (centralized locations in Detroit, Philly, etc) are a different deal.

The standard workers like me have to show up for a two hour PowerPoint on everything (most of it the captain does), then election day is an 11-hour day for $195, raised up to $245 for the pandemic. Had zero olds working the polls for my two elections, likely pandemic-related. Need both Ds/Rs/Is per site as there's stuff to sign and if a voter needs ballot-filling help, different party people have to both be there. At the end of the day, the scanner spits out a tape with the numbers on it, a USB drive is created, then we crack open the machine to organize all the ballots (since it's a true mess in there).

Never had a party challenger there loving with things, but did have some chuddy old fucks show up decked in MAGA crap (technically against rules, we were supposed to turn them around). We let them through to keep things quiet and orderly, while giggling "hmm, wonder who they voted for" to ourselves.

I'm a civic sap, so I loving loved the work and I'll happily burn the vacation time for it.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

facialimpediment posted:

but did have some chuddy old fucks show up decked in MAGA crap (technically against rules, we were supposed to turn them around). We let them through to keep things quiet and orderly, while giggling "hmm, wonder who they voted for" to ourselves.

I'm a civic sap, so I loving loved the work and I'll happily burn the vacation time for it.

boy if that doesn't explain Democrats in a nut shell i don't know what does

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
In the brave new world we're entering I wouldn't work a polling place without body armor and a guarantee of anonymity for my family. These fascist fucks are absolutely going to start killing people over the Stop The Steal rhetoric.

By the numbers its probably not that dangerous a job, they'll want to maintain the absurd fig leaf of a democracy they'll have destroyed. It's a dice roll I wouldn't be comfortable with though. There will be examples made somewhere and I'm a pessimist so I'd expect it to be me.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

I'm not saying I want the world to go pear shaped.

I am saying that killing fascists is a long family standing tradition, and I need a hobby.

(That's a joke)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

bird food bathtub posted:

In the brave new world we're entering I wouldn't work a polling place without body armor and a guarantee of anonymity for my family. These fascist fucks are absolutely going to start killing people over the Stop The Steal rhetoric.

By the numbers its probably not that dangerous a job, they'll want to maintain the absurd fig leaf of a democracy they'll have destroyed. It's a dice roll I wouldn't be comfortable with though. There will be examples made somewhere and I'm a pessimist so I'd expect it to be me.

If your first priorities are personal survival and convenience, keep doing what you're doing.