Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nice Van My Man
Jan 1, 2008

cant cook creole bream posted:

So yeah, it's pretty much how git works if you.don't bother to merge branches.

Something something merging minds...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Tunicate posted:

The chips only are connecting specific timelines.

So when we have 2 ulfs we have communication between A' and B'. Those are two timelines out of an infinite number, so at any moment an infinite number of ulf As split off, and can no longer talk to B, since only A' is connected to B'. In a week the orphaned ulfs would start off a new network, presumably.

In almost every universe ulf A suddenly realizes he can't talk to ulf B, but since we were anthropically following A', none of that ever came up until now.
You have Ulf A' and Ulf B'. Ulf A' splits off an exponentially increasing number of Ulf Ans and Ulf B' splits off an infinity Ulf Bns. Each Ulf An maintains contact with the matching Ulf Bn. The exception is the weekly "multiplication" split, where instead xn Ulf As and Ulf Bs in xn isolated networks we get Ulf AA', Ulf AB', Ulf BA', and Ulf BB', while the other networks become (x/2)n networks of Ulf AA(x/2)n, Ulf AB(x/2)n, Ulf BA(x/2)n, and Ulf BB(x/2)n.

UlfNet' isn't a special Ulfnetn obviously, it's just the one we're following.

Splicer has a new favorite as of 21:37 on May 18, 2022

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Picture four Ulfs on the edge of a cliff,

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges
This time on Sonic: Free Comic Book Day

credits posted:

Cover Art: Adam Bryce Thomas
Script: Ian Flynn
Pencils/Inks/Colors: Bracardi Curry
Letters: Shawn Lee

World Famous W
May 25, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
I mean, you done found the perfect photospot, can't be to lost

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
lol

World Famous W
May 25, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
Pinocchio
Chapter 36.2

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
Page 4 has a HUP and page 5 has eyeball shadows. I love Pinocchio

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

thetoughestbean posted:

Makai no Ossan! Read right to left

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

https://twitter.com/HeathFakes/status/1526938422102970368

sinburger
Sep 10, 2006

*hurk*

I guess there's two ways of looking at it.

Every Ulf get connected to the network (ulfwork), regardless of which Ulf they split from, or

Each Ulf is only connected to whom they directly split with. Given that Ulf needs to be informed of what other Ulfs are doing, this seems to be the case. However they can share minds with their connected Ulfs, so the earlier you split the more Ulfs you share a mind network with (mitwork), albeit your brainpower is hooked up like a serial circuit.

Ulf splits each week. So if you're 3 weeks in, the Alpha Ulf (Ulpha) is connected to 3 other subUlfs (SUlfs) , which are in turn connected to 2 other SSUlfs, who are in turn connected to 1 other SSSUlf. This means that Ulpha has the collective brainpower of 8 Ulfs. To simplify we can use S#Ulf where

# = weeks passed

Therefore, if every universe was unulffected by a death of Ulf (DUlf) , the approximate Ulfpower granted to Ulpha through the mitwork is equal to 2 to the power of the week passed.

Ulphapower = 2^(week#)

However, if a S#Ulf dies, the overall effect on the Ulphapower is impacted by the S#Ulf level of the dead Ulf and loss of subsequent branches. We'll designate the week of death as #', therefore:

Week #' DUlfpower = 2^(week#') = D#'Ulf

Now due to the unfortunate use of narrative, we do not yet have a total account of all DUlfs and what weeks they die, so we need to track the Total DUlfpower iteratively:

TDUlfpower = D#'Ulf + D#''Ulf + D#'''Ulf, wherein the "#''.... '' is equal to the S#Ulf of the DUlf.

Ergo, TUlphapower = 2^(week#) - TDUlfpower

sinburger has a new favorite as of 23:07 on May 18, 2022

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
You all deserve to be killed by angels.

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!
ulfs can connect to anyone on the ulfwork but it requires concentration its not automatic which is why the other ulfs spread rumors and tell each other but wierd poo poo. remember the first strip went over the rules of how it works.

the aisha work is presumbly the same way as the author would of told us if it didnt.

the wierd thing is the buddas also acting like the christian angels. since the religion isnt like that. although i have seen prosperity buddists which are basically prosperity christians but in monk robes. so you know maybe it does

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Yeah the buddhas thing more than anything else really betrays Thorsby's r/atheist understanding of religion, it's pretty funny. But luckily the entire world is ridiculous enough that it doesn't really bother me

Fagtastic
Apr 9, 2009

I may have sucked robodick, fucked a robot in the exhaust, been fucked by robots & enjoy it to the exclusion of human partners; at least I'm not a goddamn :roboluv:
I don't think Aisha's button puts new ulfs on the network. Those ulfs would already exist without her. From the moment she got her chip, she'll be able to connect to more Aisha's that split off after that moment, but our Ulf and all the other ulfs in Aisha's connected universes will only get a new connection weekly.

So I think the logic will be that all the Aisha universes we see will all be alpha-ulf universes with angels and Buddhas, and that she will be able to outpace Ulf in all of them.

World Famous W
May 25, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
in the end all the religions would be viewed through the eyes of ulf, who only ever joined one to get laid

Mr. Sunshine
May 15, 2008

This is a scrunt that has been in space too long and become a Lunt (Long Scrunt)

Fun Shoe

snergle posted:

the wierd thing is the buddas also acting like the christian angels. since the religion isnt like that.

But would a Buddhist Ulf be read up on his own religion, or would he just pull something out of his rear end?

E: What he said ^^

Fagtastic
Apr 9, 2009

I may have sucked robodick, fucked a robot in the exhaust, been fucked by robots & enjoy it to the exclusion of human partners; at least I'm not a goddamn :roboluv:

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

Yeah the buddhas thing more than anything else really betrays Thorsby's r/atheist understanding of religion, it's pretty funny. But luckily the entire world is ridiculous enough that it doesn't really bother me

Oh boy, no it makes perfect sense to me. There's a ton of Buddhism out there and it's not all like the nicey-nice "actually more of a philosophy" stuff we get in the west. There are large and influential and occasionally genocidal right-wing evangelical Buddhist sects that are basically indistinguishable from the Christian version of the same thing, and it would absolutely be one of those that made a brain virus, just as it was the worst and craziest salmon-head Christian cult that got Ulf first.

By my reckoning the much more religiously ignorant aspect of this is that those aren't images of buddha. The fat guy is a different guy.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

World Famous W posted:

in the end all the religions would be viewed through the eyes of ulf, who only ever joined one to get laid
And it's not even that "our" Ulf got these views through trying to get laid, he's had them forcibly programmed into him via multiple conflicting viruses written by people who only ever joined to get laid.

Also he hasn't slept in... months? Years?

I'm not saying Thorsby definitely isn't a full on r/athiest, but death of the author the story is still internally consistent.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Fagtastic posted:

Oh boy, no it makes perfect sense to me. There's a ton of Buddhism out there and it's not all like the nicey-nice "actually more of a philosophy" stuff we get in the west. There are large and influential and occasionally genocidal right-wing evangelical Buddhist sects that are basically indistinguishable from the Christian version of the same thing, and it would absolutely be one of those that made a brain virus, just as it was the worst and craziest salmon-head Christian cult that got Ulf first.

By my reckoning the much more religiously ignorant aspect of this is that those aren't images of buddha. The fat guy is a different guy.

It's the anthropic principle in action again. There are probably millions of Buddhist Ulfs and Christian Ulfs who joined normal sects and didn't want to make a brain virus. But it only takes one Ulf to join an insane proselytizing cult that convinces him (the stupidest, horniest man in the world) that it's right to make a brain virus and conquer infinite worlds. Give it a few months and that one Ulf who joined the insane cult exponentially grows into enough Ulfs to make a brain virus, and so on.

Fagtastic
Apr 9, 2009

Also plenty of Buddhist variants like Pure Land stuff where the goal is pretty much "get into heaven by doing what we tell you". Most of it is pretty unrecognisable if you're thinking about the Lisa Simpson poo poo.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
while all that is true I think it's very unlikely Thorsby was aware of or had any of that in mind when he wrote TDBC, or he probably wouldn't have people being attacked by Budai robots

I'm going with this personally

World Famous W posted:

vyelkin posted:

It's the anthropic principle in action again. There are probably millions of Buddhist Ulfs and Christian Ulfs who joined normal sects and didn't want to make a brain virus. But it only takes one Ulf to join an insane proselytizing cult that convinces him (the stupidest, horniest man in the world) that it's right to make a brain virus and conquer infinite worlds. Give it a few months and that one Ulf who joined the insane cult exponentially grows into enough Ulfs to make a brain virus, and so on.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Splicer posted:

You have Ulf A' and Ulf B'. Ulf A' splits off an exponentially increasing number of Ulf Ans and Ulf B' splits off an infinity Ulf Bns. Each Ulf An maintains contact with the matching Ulf Bn.

So, basically, you are saying the entire gestalt of multiple parallel worlds forks simultaneously and in perfect sync, rather than each universe doing its own thing randomly?

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Tunicate posted:

So, basically, you are saying the entire gestalt of multiple parallel worlds forks simultaneously and in perfect sync, rather than each universe doing its own thing randomly?

They'll be forking in perfect sync anyway, since they're all wearing the same original chip with the same timer.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

I think Thorsby justified the way religion is factoring into this comic pretty well just with the idea that Ulf, being who he is, is likely to join bizarre and cult-like splinter groups of any religion.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Tenebrais posted:

They'll be forking in perfect sync anyway, since they're all wearing the same original chip with the same timer.
That's just a weekly connection of a few forks, not the underlying mechanic.

snergle posted:

the wierd thing is the buddas also acting like the christian angels. since the religion isnt like that. although i have seen prosperity buddists which are basically prosperity christians but in monk robes. so you know maybe it does

My refugee neighbors fled the Buddhist-lead religious genocide in Myanmar.

tired gay and dead
Apr 4, 2022

by Hand Knit
I was always pretty sure he picked Buddhism because it's funny. Everyone thinks of certain types of Christianity as the most evangelical and crazy religion around, and most people think of Buddhism as the most chill and least evangelical religion, so it's funny to have the new enemy be evangelical Buddhist laser-eye-beam flying robots.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

tired gay and dead posted:

I was always pretty sure he picked Buddhism because it's funny. Everyone thinks of certain types of Christianity as the most evangelical and crazy religion around, and most people think of Buddhism as the most chill and least evangelical religion, so it's funny to have the new enemy be evangelical Buddhist laser-eye-beam flying robots.

This is obviously the reason, yeah--Buddhism's popular image in the west as the hippy dippy peacenik religion leads the reader to believe in the beginning that maybe it's good if the Buddhist Ulfs are starting to win, setting up the later turn/joke where you learn that nope, they're just as bad as the angels

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Tunicate posted:

They fork constantly. "Every moment our universe splits into a gazillion other universes". Plenty of Ulfs to go round.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Splicer posted:

They fork constantly. "Every moment our universe splits into a gazillion other universes". Plenty of Ulfs to go round.

Yeah but if they weren't in perfect sync, you'd end up with the networks mingling or breaking.

Also if the brain chip only connects two fixed timelines and fails in any offshoots, the probability of being in a universe where the chip worked is 0, it's only the anthropuc principle that makes us follow this Ulf. Since the other chip testers before Ulf were nonprotagonists, we didn't see the 2/infinity timelines that were linked together.

Fagtastic
Apr 9, 2009

Tunicate posted:

My refugee neighbors fled the Buddhist-lead religious genocide in Myanmar.

Yeah I would expect thorsby might be more likely to know about that kind of thing than people might think. He's definitely an Internet Atheist but you can say what you like about them, they tend to know that buddhism doesn't get a pass.

Post poste
Mar 29, 2010

Boba Pearl posted:

I wish I understood pacing better, telling a story 4 - 8 panels at a time is excruciatingly long, but it's really only been 5 pages of fighting, which is I guess how long it takes one piece to clear out minor characters.

I wish I could do 18 pages a week, like the shonen jump people do, or like 9 even, or 7.

Then again I guess I did just do two pages in a day.

I get it, it's frustrating to not create as fast as it can be consumed.
I always look forward to your updates and enjoy your work.

Sorry things got lost in the ulf storm...

CrocodileKingSaysNO
Jul 25, 2007

Brain chip has been a major let down to me. I thought we were gonna get cool adventures with side by side cross universe puzzle solving, but instead we got 'if I was in charge everything would be great' combined with 'look how dumb religion is lol' I'm over it, I'm just gonna go read Trixie slaughter axe.

World Famous W
May 25, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
how in the hell is everything going great?

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

that is an interesting reading of the comic

reading trixie slaughteraxe is always a good move though

CrocodileKingSaysNO
Jul 25, 2007

'If I was in charge everything would be great' is a common trope and just as common is the reality that no, jackass, it wouldn't.

E: Read three pages of Trixie and yeah this is more my thing, already love it.

CrocodileKingSaysNO has a new favorite as of 01:38 on May 19, 2022

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
Trixie Slaughteraxe is all the best parts of all of Thorsby's other work and none of the worst parts.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
As I said when I started posting it, I think Brain Chip has pros and cons and is on the whole not as good as Trixie (which is definitely Thorsby's best work). But posting Trixie is a much bigger commitment because it's like 4 times as long as Brain Chip lol

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

vyelkin posted:

As I said when I started posting it, I think Brain Chip has pros and cons and is on the whole not as good as Trixie (which is definitely Thorsby's best work). But posting Trixie is a much bigger commitment because it's like 4 times as long as Brain Chip lol

That's why you post 12 pages a day :buddy:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Captain Hygiene posted:

That's why you post 12 pages a day :buddy:

Yeah, that's maths. You can't argue against that.