Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Archduke Frantz Fanon posted:

i think if grades and stuff actually mattered for water and power (like in real life) it would be more interesting. also you would have a reason to have water towers to supply water for people up in the heights. needing pumping stations, transformers and poo poo would be more interesting

PT6A posted:

In terms of game design, it seems like everyone has a collection of things they really want to nerd out over, and others they want to ignore. The game should accommodate that by allowing the player to select the level of detail they want in each specific system.

*harRRUMMmphrhgghrhghhhkkhkkhkk*

Genuinely this is the sort of stuff I wanted from CS and while the interface and road sim is a lot less slick, you get a lot in return.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Deathcare also sucks because you have to plop crematoriums everywhere. I mod it out because I find it distasteful

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Workers and resources is brutally micro intense and I say that as a fan.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

PT6A posted:

In terms of game design, it seems like everyone has a collection of things they really want to nerd out over, and others they want to ignore. The game should accommodate that by allowing the player to select the level of detail they want in each specific system.

Yeah, I fully admit that while I absolutely want the detail of having little wooden transmission poles on my streets, and the option to choose underground transmission for a more expensive but "aesthetically pleasing" option, other people might just want to tell the game "give my roads water and power and stop bothering me."

That's cool too! Make the game support both so that I can be grognardy on my own time!

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Warmachine posted:

Yeah, I fully admit that while I absolutely want the detail of having little wooden transmission poles on my streets, and the option to choose underground transmission for a more expensive but "aesthetically pleasing" option, other people might just want to tell the game "give my roads water and power and stop bothering me."

That's cool too! Make the game support both so that I can be grognardy on my own time!

Exactly. Look at MSFS for an example: it's a great example of an inherently non-competitive game albeit one that requires arbitrarily high amounts of skill in whatever area you choose. The design accommodates it very well, and I think it really represents the gold standard of a game where the goal is just to gently caress around and play against your own expectations or standards. You can either fly whatever you want with all assists and no damage and an AI co-pilot to handle the boring poo poo, or you can get absurdly deep into procedures and systems simulation, and both ways are completely valid and enjoyable ways of playing the game if that's what you want.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I myself am a traffic pervert.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

PT6A posted:

Unfortunately in reality this would just lead to a terrible game because when has a game that can't commit to a design decision ever ended well. (Also the scope creep would be absurd)

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
I’d way rather they refine the existing systems that are the strength of the game than try to add a bunch of new systems.

My wishlist for C:S2 would mostly be stuff like:

-improved traffic AI to make better use of extra lanes and take longer routes when the shortest one is already clogged with traffic

-better network connection features to make things like properly aligned slip lanes / highway exit lanes easy to do in vanilla without complex mods

-more / better district themes and theme management support in the vanilla game

-mixed use zoning

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Look I just want 3D Simcity 4 that doesn't run like poo poo is that so wrong

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Eric the Mauve posted:

3D
Simcity 4
that doesn't run like poo poo

Pick two.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I already posted my manifesto about my wants but region play is top of the list. If C:S2 doesn't have that it is inherently inferior to SC4 and always will be. Especially since they'll probably stick to the agent system which keeps city sizes very limited.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Workers and Resources shows you can actually just have entire game mechanics you can switch on and off depending on how detailed people want to get. There's an entire "cosmonaut mode" where you have to start from nearly nothing and can't instant-build or auto-stock any building, everything has to be micro'd and locally made. If you find the game's power system too fussy you can just turn it off. If you don't want to mess with dealing with vehicles needing re-fueling you can just turn that off. There's all sorts of stuff you can just turn off and the game doesn't really get messed up at all.

I don't find the power line mechanics at all interesting so I just turn off power. I find setting up long cargo routes hard enough without having to take into account my trains also needing to drive to a refueling track now and again so i turn that off too. It's fun "manually" building some big projects but sometimes I just want that conveyor belt tower up and running right now to make sure a design works so it's nice to have an auto-build button. It's a shockingly accessible game for something with so much depth.

I love the design philosophy and I'd love to see something like that in a new dream city builder. Either entire mechanics you could turn off, or have a sort of onion layer system where some of the most fiddly systems are almost optional. Things you can turn off and they still cost money but it becomes an abstracted budget item. "Water and Sewer" cost are simply listed and calculated based on your land area and population/consumption. But if you find laying pipes really interesting and want to dig into the game's surprisingly detailed system that actually takes slope and geography and pressure into account than go for it.

Thranguy
Apr 21, 2010

Deceitful and black-hearted, perhaps we are. But we would never go against the Code. Well, perhaps for good reasons. But mostly never.

Entropic posted:

I’d way rather they refine the existing systems that are the strength of the game than try to add a bunch of new systems.

My wishlist for C:S2 would mostly be stuff like:

-improved traffic AI to make better use of extra lanes and take longer routes when the shortest one is already clogged with traffic

-better network connection features to make things like properly aligned slip lanes / highway exit lanes easy to do in vanilla without complex mods

-more / better district themes and theme management support in the vanilla game

-mixed use zoning

I mostly want an economic model in which affordable housing is important.

cams
Mar 28, 2003

they should make the traffic ai worse, to be more realistic. also make them capable of causing traffic accidents that require emergency vehicle response and back up traffic until it has been cleared. and some of them will drive drunk.

but really, i would also like more things on the "policy" side of the game that aren't so much set it and forget it.

mrpwase
Apr 21, 2010

I HAVE GREAT AVATAR IDEAS
For the Many, Not the Few

My dream is having a new map start by procedurally generating a medieval town or village and then accelerating through the ages to the present day, so you start off with trunk routes, old market squares, awkward streets and appropriately placed old buildings, and the districts of your city have historical meaning. I recognise I'm probably the only one though!

(replace medieval for colonial for most of the market the game is aimed at I guess :shrug:)

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

mrpwase posted:

My dream is having a new map start by procedurally generating a medieval town or village and then accelerating through the ages to the present day, so you start off with trunk routes, old market squares, awkward streets and appropriately placed old buildings, and the districts of your city have historical meaning. I recognise I'm probably the only one though!

(replace medieval for colonial for most of the market the game is aimed at I guess :shrug:)

Only if there's more than that as the start scenario option. I want my futuristic neo-communal solarpunk village to build into a planetary capital.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
I just want starting maps that give you something more than a highway system interchange to start from.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Paradox where is my Crusader Kings/EU4/Vicky/HoI/Stellaris/Skylines crossover?!?!

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

mrpwase posted:

That'd fuckin rule yeah

The mechanics didn't grab me but that's another thing Workers and Resources also sorta did, you can start with a bunch of preindustrial towns with old timey layouts to modernize, and some limited technological progression from like 1950-1980

It's a lot harder to keep them than raze all the old stuff and start over with a more mechanically optimized design tho

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 02:45 on May 19, 2022

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

mrpwase posted:

Run an instance of Dwarf Fortress in the background, have it generate a world, then import that world for gameplay.

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

Warmachine posted:

Paradox where is my Crusader Kings/EU4/Vicky/HoI/Stellaris/Skylines crossover?!?!

I'd play the poo poo out of Cities Stellaris

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Disaster: Your city is visited by a blorg party bus.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

dragonshardz posted:

I'd play the poo poo out of Cities Stellaris

I'll be honest, the notion of "Grand Strategy except you manage One City and the background simulation handles the geopolitics and you gotta deal with the fallout" has me mighty interested.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Warmachine posted:

I'll be honest, the notion of "Grand Strategy except you manage One City and the background simulation handles the geopolitics and you gotta deal with the fallout" has me mighty interested.

it'd be indistinguishable from an RNG spitting random catastrophes at you

so, how much did you like the Natural Disasters DLC and want more of that

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 18:57 on May 19, 2022

Vizuyos
Jun 17, 2020

Thank U for reading

If you hated it...
FUCK U and never come back

Warmachine posted:

Isn't that basically just Tropico?

QuantaStarFire
May 18, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Paradox is having a publisher sale on Steam this weekend if people are interested in picking up DLC on the cheap. I just bought most of the major DLC for 50% off.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

QuantaStarFire posted:

Paradox is having a publisher sale on Steam this weekend if people are interested in picking up DLC on the cheap. I just bought most of the major DLC for 50% off.

This is the one and only time anyone should buy paradox DLC. They go on sale so frequently and they're always so overpriced generally.

halokiller
Dec 28, 2008

Sisters Are Doin' It For Themselves

mrpwase posted:

After watching donoteat01's Franklin videos, I long for a game to do exactly this.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Do the parking spaces on the default streets do anything? Or is there no downside to using the streets with trees besides cost?

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

aniviron posted:

Do the parking spaces on the default streets do anything? Or is there no downside to using the streets with trees besides cost?

Nothing. Despite parking being one of the biggest policies that impacts how cities look and evolve, the game treat it as purely decorative. If you're using traffic president you can turn on advanced parking AI though and then parking almost sort of pretends to matter!

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

aniviron posted:

Unmodded, cims "try" to use parking spots, but if none are available they can magically put the car in their pocket. They can also take it out of their pocket somewhere else.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

Entropic posted:

I just want starting maps that give you something more than a highway system interchange to start from.

I want blank maps you can terraform, or a random map generator.

Vizuyos
Jun 17, 2020

Thank U for reading

If you hated it...
FUCK U and never come back

VostokProgram posted:

Unmodded, cims "try" to use parking spots, but if none are available they can magically put the car in their pocket. They can also take it out of their pocket somewhere else.

They also don't have to use the same car they parked with. I once happened to see a cim pull up into a parking space, get out of their car, walk down the street a bit, then spawn an entirely new car out of thin air on the road next to them and go driving off somewhere.

ExtraNoise
Apr 11, 2007

Entropic posted:

Eric the Mauve posted:

Simcity 4
doesn't run like poo poo

Pick two.

Frankly, even these two together is almost too much to ask.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
Someone help me figure out why I have a random building piling up garbage?

Recycling center and two incineration plants very close, but each one only has like 3 trucks in use. Are those garbage processing facilities just in a bad spot with lovely road planning (possible, my traffic is at like 83% tops right now), or something else I did wrong?

Also by the numbers my garbage processing capability far exceeds the production so that shouldn't be a big problem.

Macichne Leainig fucked around with this message at 15:40 on May 25, 2022

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Probably a glitch with the building connecting to the road network. If you're not attached to it, just demolish and rezone the space

QuantaStarFire
May 18, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Protocol7 posted:

Someone help me figure out why I have a random building piling up garbage?

Might be routing issues because of the cul de sac the building is on? I notice that the buildings in the other cul de sacs in that area are also darker than their neighbors, so they're likely having the same issue but it hasn't gotten as bad yet.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
Yeah I just ended up demolishing it and it's been fine since. Back to fighting the usual fickle city issues :)

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

I spent :10bux: so I could say that I finally figured out what this god damned cube is doing. Get well Lowtax.
Grimey Drawer
That guy was going through some issues, and you just had your goons demolish his house while he was at work??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Everything for this game up to and including Sunset Harbor is in a humble bundle