Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)
Don't know don't care

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
absolutely not. tyrannical total control by one hosed up family

zaibatsu is a constellation revolving around a bank, chaebol is a constellation closely held by a family

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

bob dobbs is dead posted:

absolutely not. tyrannical total control by one hosed up family

zaibatsu is a constellation revolving around a bank, chaebol is a constellation closely held by a family

wow, I was under the impression that different groups at Samsung are at nearly shooting terms with each other. And having dealt with a couple of the divisions there is no way there is a tight coordination, they take steps exactly the opposite direction sometimes.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
you think the family likes each other?

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Remulak posted:

wow, I was under the impression that different groups at Samsung are at nearly shooting terms with each other.

Just like family.

Hollandia
Jul 27, 2007

rattus rattus

Grimey Drawer

When I lived in Korea my small apartment building was right by a huge set of Daewoo apartment buildings.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

so if you get fired from your job at Samsung do you have to move out?

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Hollandia posted:

When I lived in Korea my small apartment building was right by a huge set of Daewoo apartment buildings.

Every small apartment I've ever rented in the United States was owned but some large corporation on the other side of the country. I guess in Korea they're just not being coy about it.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 11 hours!
people would kill to live in Disney apartments

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Shear Modulus posted:

company apartments are a different thing that also exists

mawarannahr posted:

people would kill to live in Disney apartments

WDW has company housing for staff.

hobbesmaster has issued a correction as of 04:13 on May 19, 2022

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Shear Modulus posted:

pretty much, if thats a benefit. company assigned wife / husband de facto you get to keep tho

the thing is that samsung is criticized for firing a lot and they turnover 2% of workforce per year. thats including retirements and deaths (samsung employees under age 30: 0.6%). compare to google's 50%

bob dobbs is dead has issued a correction as of 04:33 on May 19, 2022

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
the newspapers will easily declare the age of the salaryman over, but thats literally going from 0.1% turnover to 1% turnover, not america-scale total war of all upon all

this means, however, that wage suppression is a hell of a lot more successful in korea

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

south korea's following the same arc as japan with the growth of temp staff so the popular conception of the salaryman isn't relevant for most people anyway

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

50s girl groupon posted:

I’m still alive! And I am 1000x more annoying at politicians regarding M4A and the hellish nightmare of the American “healthcare” system.

I still have cancer tho :smith: And covid!

Ask me about getting hand delivered a final past due notice from the hospital while in said hospital fighting for my life for a month.

Well if they don't like you not paying they'll just have to return all the tumors in mint condition or you can take them to the BBB :colbert:

(Sorry you have to go through... all that... jfc :smith:)

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

hobbesmaster posted:

WDW has company housing for staff.

They also have Celebration, which they're desperately trying to disown as it's rapidly falling apart, and that new one they built where all the houses are millions of dollars and for that amount you get the privilege of living so close to disney parks that you'll be bothered by the fireworks every single night forever.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Now you can't actually "live" (as in declare your permanent residence as being) within the reedy creek improvement district (the disney legal entity that has more power than even a lot of native american tribes do), because that might give you voting power. The only private homeowners with permanent residency there are like six people who happen to all be disney executives and who don't actually live there at all but are counted as the citizens.

Cuz there has to be citizens or it wouldn't be a fair and democratically elected local government, you see.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

McCracAttack posted:

Every small apartment I've ever rented in the United States was owned but some large corporation on the other side of the country. I guess in Korea they're just not being coy about it.

my current apartment is owned by an israeli chiropractor

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)

Shame Boy posted:

Now you can't actually "live" (as in declare your permanent residence as being) within the reedy creek improvement district (the disney legal entity that has more power than even a lot of native american tribes do), because that might give you voting power. The only private homeowners with permanent residency there are like six people who happen to all be disney executives and who don't actually live there at all but are counted as the citizens.

Cuz there has to be citizens or it wouldn't be a fair and democratically elected local government, you see.

voting for mickey mouse but not as a joke

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

bob dobbs is dead posted:

the newspapers will easily declare the age of the salaryman over, but thats literally going from 0.1% turnover to 1% turnover, not america-scale total war of all upon all

this means, however, that wage suppression is a hell of a lot more successful in korea

Lol my company has like 15% turnover, and when people bring it up at town hall meetings they're like "yeah, what's your point?"

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

hobbesmaster posted:

isn’t it like Japan where a lot of those companies are actually fully independent from each other?

Are they? (I know they should be, but are they? The only one I know is, and always has been, completely separate is Mitsubishi Pencil, which never had anything at all to do with Mitsubishi. Just the same name and logo.)

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Are they? (I know they should be, but are they? The only one I know is, and always has been, completely separate is Mitsubishi Pencil, which never had anything at all to do with Mitsubishi. Just the same name and logo.)

Also the Mitsubishi MDMA tablet industry

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Failed Imagineer posted:

Also the Mitsubishi MDMA tablet industry

7" Mitsubishi MDMA tablet.

e: Also I just learned it's not a logo, but a coat-of-arms, so it makes sense if you share a name you share that, too. Some guy called Zephanias Mitsubishi making those tablets in his basement.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

Remulak posted:

wow, I was under the impression that different groups at Samsung are at nearly shooting terms with each other. And having dealt with a couple of the divisions there is no way there is a tight coordination, they take steps exactly the opposite direction sometimes.

Are you thinking of foxconn? My old boss was at one point a bigwig pm at Samsung and he quit because the mentally unstable lady who inherited the company kept calling him at 3am to bitch about stuff he'd never heard of because it was made by some sk subsidiary or whatever

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I work for a large company and with large companies and I can tell you a single corporation can take steps in opposite directions at the same time. The only companies that don't do that employ only one manager. All companies do that.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Yeah my company is made from like 50 companies amalgamated over 150 years and poo poo does not make sense

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

there's a big ongoing fight with Samsung's phone division and Samsung's mobile CPU division because the latter's chips have been poo poo

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

30.5 Days posted:

Are you thinking of foxconn? My old boss was at one point a bigwig pm at Samsung and he quit because the mentally unstable lady who inherited the company kept calling him at 3am to bitch about stuff he'd never heard of because it was made by some sk subsidiary or whatever

Lmao why would she even bother
Such a freak for control she tries to personally boss around 15% of SKs gdp

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
Exciting things happen when your boss's boss's boss has undiagnosed borderline syndrome and they make you their fp for no clear reason

Boot and Rally
Apr 21, 2006

8===D
Nap Ghost

Failed Imagineer posted:

Lol my company has like 15% turnover, and when people bring it up at town hall meetings they're like "yeah, what's your point?"

Ours is around 15-20% as an entire organization, but it is restricted to a few groups. Those groups are completely ineffective because they hire new grads, those people get up to speed and a year of experience on their resume and then bounce for 30% more money elsewhere. We can't even pay mid-level people to manage the new grads so you have one person managing 20 brand new people. One of these groups is the start point of the work flow in the organization, so it has thrown downstream groups into complete chaos.

Boot and Rally has issued a correction as of 15:20 on May 19, 2022

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Boot and Rally posted:

Those groups are completely ineffective because they hire new grads, those people get up to speed and a year of experience on their resume and then bounce for 30% more money elsewhere.

this is a common problem and no company will ever, solve it by promising a 30% raise after their first year

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Doc Hawkins posted:

this is a common problem and no company will ever, solve it by promising a 30% raise after their first year

They never understand this. My company's solution to this issue was to have a monthly breakfast with an executive.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Mine was to offer me (not all that much tbh) money to cover costs of moving here, then have me sign a thing that says if I leave before at least a year is up I have to give it all back lol

Boot and Rally
Apr 21, 2006

8===D
Nap Ghost

Doc Hawkins posted:

Yeah, I know. What I don't know is whether it is common for business critical (defining?) parts of the organization to be staffed by 10% people over 60 and 90% under 25.

jumba
Sep 6, 2004

Hang in there!
Fun Shoe

AnimeIsTrash posted:

They never understand this. My company's solution to this issue was to have a monthly breakfast with an executive.

And what about people after their first year who are not good performers? Do they have to have 2 monthly breakfasts with an executive? That doesn't seem like a reward.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Boot and Rally posted:

Yeah, I know. What I don't know is whether it is common for business critical (defining?) parts of the organization to be staffed by 10% people over 60 and 90% under 25.

yes. because that's what Disruptive companies like google and tesla do, because new grads have new disruptive ideas

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Shear Modulus posted:

yes. because that's what Disruptive companies like google and tesla do, because new grads have new disruptive ideas

otoh, articulating those ideas would be rocking the boat

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Isn't that the Adidas logo

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Shame Boy posted:

Isn't that the Adidas logo

So subversive and interbrandual™

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗
Looks like it. Maybe they spent a lot of time negotiating for the cross brand collaboration and just kinda said "it's an umbrella how hard can it be to design?" when it came to actually making the umbrella.
Or maybe the guardian is just such a hollowed out newspaper they can't keep basic story details or photos organized.
The model posing in 'athletic gear' and with bags covered in the same pattern makes me think it's a dumb brand collaboration