Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KS
Jun 10, 2003
Outrageous Lumpwad

Pollyanna posted:

Yes but consider: gently caress hauling a ladder up the stairs. :v:

Anyway I’m from Florida, attics and basements are enigmas to me.

Basements keep your garage clear for cars and are an excellent thing.

Consider hauling a ladder up the stairs, because it's tough to insulate an attic hatch with a ladder attached, and it's a big source of heat loss. Ladders aren't heavy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KariOhki
Apr 22, 2008
Today I learned that all of my downstairs windows are between 1/4" to 1/8" inch different blinds sizes in width so no, I can't just move the broken one to a window I don't ever open the blinds on.

Sorry cat, no proper window sitting in your favorite spot until I decide to say gently caress it and have mismatched blinds between the front and the side/back because I'm not shelling out to replace all six windows worth when five work.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
Can't you just find a similar style? Ever so slightly mismatched blinds seem like something only the person living there would notice, like wall defects that pass the 5ft visual test.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

KariOhki posted:

Today I learned that all of my downstairs windows are between 1/4" to 1/8" inch different blinds sizes in width so no, I can't just move the broken one to a window I don't ever open the blinds on.

Sorry cat, no proper window sitting in your favorite spot until I decide to say gently caress it and have mismatched blinds between the front and the side/back because I'm not shelling out to replace all six windows worth when five work.

Just adjust the brackets and swap them? Unless they're sized exactly for the insides of the cases 1/8" to 1/4" shouldn't make that much difference.

KariOhki
Apr 22, 2008

Inner Light posted:

Can't you just find a similar style? Ever so slightly mismatched blinds seem like something only the person living there would notice, like wall defects that pass the 5ft visual test.

Yes, this is what I meant by "slightly mismatched" - a pair for the front windows that'll be a set that are close enough to the remaining four.

BonerGhost posted:

Just adjust the brackets and swap them? Unless they're sized exactly for the insides of the cases 1/8" to 1/4" shouldn't make that much difference.

The brackets are all flush against the insides of the window frame so no adjustments for space can really be made.

Edit so I don't double post: And now my oven (GE wall oven, model number sticker is missing, don't know how old it is) is getting the F7 panel error. Is it worth trying to fix it by either trying to find the ribbon cable and cleaning it or getting the control panel replaced, or should I just get a new one and start fresh with something I'll have the manual to?

KariOhki fucked around with this message at 01:04 on May 18, 2022

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

https://imgur.com/a/xbVlcbR

gently caress me

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

I had a nightmare about water leaking through my roof/walls last night, I feel like I just went through a rite of passage as a homeowner

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

I woke up from a dead sleep this morning cause I thought my roof was leaking... turns out it was just my cat aggressively grooming herself :geno:

Welcome to homeownership!!

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost

That happened to me. Buddy who installs windows says some Alex brand siloconized acrylic caulk fixes it.

skybolt_1
Oct 21, 2010
Fun Shoe
I have a gravel parking pad that I build about two years back so that I could park a small utility trailer on to keep my main driveway clear. It is built on a hill on the side of my garage, with about 10 yards of 3/4" gravel retained by a 6x6 landscape timber wall. Since I built it, I bought a 16' fishing boat on a small trailer, which weighs around 1200 lbs total. Because I never anticipated storing larger stuff on the pad, I neglected to add a direct access to my driveway such that I could back up a car to push / pull trailers on and off of it, so I have had to move them by hand, which is barely doable with the boat trailer.

When I went to pull the boat trailer off this year I discovered that the wheels had worked their way into the gravel about 1-2 inches. Getting the trailer out involved digging out the gravel in front of the wheels and keeping the whole thing moving once I got it going, which was backbreaking. When I poured the gravel at first, I rented a plate compactor and compacted layers as they went in, trying to prevent this exact issue, but it clearly didn't work. Is there any way that I could stabilize the gravel so that it would be more resistant to wheels digging in without completely ruining the ability of the gravel to drain?

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Couple chunks of plywood, one underneath each tire to spread the weight of the trailer?

Call it an excuse to buy a tractor that can move the trailer between there and your driveway for you?

TacoHavoc
Dec 31, 2007
It's taco-y and havoc-y...at the same time!

BigHead posted:

That happened to me. Buddy who installs windows says some Alex brand siloconized acrylic caulk fixes it.

The silicone is key here. The cheaper stuff without silicone has cracked to poo poo within months of me using it any other time. I have no idea what it's for.

I just wish they made the tubes look more different.

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

IOwnCalculus posted:

Couple chunks of plywood, one underneath each tire to spread the weight of the trailer?

Call it an excuse to buy a tractor that can move the trailer between there and your driveway for you?

It's clearly the latter, but yeah, I'd be throwing a chunk of treated 2x12 or whatever under the tires. Absent digging all that up and pouring a slab for a solid foundation, I imagine almost any earth underneath the gravel will eventually move, some more so than others.

bred
Oct 24, 2008
Is it 3/4 clean or 3/4 minus? I think the minus promotes locking. You may be able to pack in some sand or dust to stabilize it. Call a local concrete or rock co for recommendations.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Ideally you shouldn't leave a loaded trailer sitting on its tires in one spot for half a year anyway, that's a pathway to flat spots for the trailer's tires, assuming it's a smaller trailer with two tires and 1200lbs of boat is significant load for it. Even absent that, getting it up off the tires is just the best solution for storage.

Better to jack the thing up and put it on jackstands, and those jackstands need something better than gravel beneath them, so I'd be thinking concrete pad or at least scraps of plywood under each stand.

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

BigHead posted:

For the inside our outside (which is stucco(?

dxt
Mar 27, 2004
METAL DISCHARGE

I would like to cover this window well to keep water/leaves/various critters out, but standard window well covers won't fit as the PO decided to run the AC conduit right over it and have the water faucet just over flush with the edge of the well. Any ideas beyond just throw a tarp over it?

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

dxt posted:

I would like to cover this window well to keep water/leaves/various critters out, but standard window well covers won't fit as the PO decided to run the AC conduit right over it and have the water faucet just over flush with the edge of the well. Any ideas beyond just throw a tarp over it?

I have a couple of window wells around my place that were (very old) concrete, not a standard size, etc. and getting custom covers made was going to be wildly expensive. My primary goal was preventing water from soaking in as these wells have access to my basement so I invested in some polycarbonate sheets and stainless steel hinges and screws that resist rusting. I cut the sheets to size and attached as shown.

It's worth noting that there are gaps on both sides as I have mine at an angle because the surface around them is not completely level nor will it be absent me having the wells and adjacent sidewalk torn out and redone which I'm not interested in doing. This still lets a comparatively small amount of leaves and poo poo in so I have to go clean them out once per year. Normal biannual treatment of insect barrier from the Home Despot has kept us critter free for the most part. Since you have a flat surface to deal with and what I presume is space between the connections to your A/C compressor and the top of the well, you could lay the polycarbonate flat on top and secure it with stainless steel hinges and screws to keep pretty much everything out of it, I would think.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

dxt posted:

Why not something like chicken wire or fine metal mesh? Slope it down so stuff doesn't sit as easy, and just wrap it around the conduit and faucet.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

They make plastic dome things specifically for this.

Oh didn't see the conduit. Maybe just use a standard one, cut it then seal with calk

dxt
Mar 27, 2004
METAL DISCHARGE

Beef Of Ages posted:

I have a couple of window wells around my place that were (very old) concrete, not a standard size, etc. and getting custom covers made was going to be wildly expensive. My primary goal was preventing water from soaking in as these wells have access to my basement so I invested in some polycarbonate sheets and stainless steel hinges and screws that resist rusting. I cut the sheets to size and attached as shown.

It's worth noting that there are gaps on both sides as I have mine at an angle because the surface around them is not completely level nor will it be absent me having the wells and adjacent sidewalk torn out and redone which I'm not interested in doing. This still lets a comparatively small amount of leaves and poo poo in so I have to go clean them out once per year. Normal biannual treatment of insect barrier from the Home Despot has kept us critter free for the most part. Since you have a flat surface to deal with and what I presume is space between the connections to your A/C compressor and the top of the well, you could lay the polycarbonate flat on top and secure it with stainless steel hinges and screws to keep pretty much everything out of it, I would think.

This might work, some of the conduit is resting on the edge of the well, but there might be enough give to slide a sheet under it. Might have to turn the faucet so I can use it or just remove the cover when using the faucet.

Thanks for the advice.

raggedphoto
May 10, 2008

I'd like to shoot you
Closed on our house 2.5 weeks ago and we've already put in about 250 working hours, a lot of that being scraping wallpaper and flaking paint. Wallpaper 4-5 layers thick with paint between some of them in every room. Thought the living room was clear but turns out there was just paint over 3 layers of nasty wallpaper. Skim coated all the ceilings and walls after scrapping everything off and about to get ready for primer/paint. I refinished the hardwood floors, kitchen remodel is almost done and this weekend I start in on the bathroom and plumbing. It's been really great to work on our own house but gently caress wallpaper.

https://imgur.com/J4Gzy0n

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

Dumb question - what’s the benefit of doing all that scraping versus just painting over it?

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
I just ordered about eight samples of wallpaper to put up a wallpaper accent in my living room. It's me! The PO!

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
My step mom had a painting and wallpapering business her entire life before she retired last year. She has no wallpaper in her home.

Sometimes I like the look of wallpaper but then I remember when I was in college and I would occasionally work with her for extra cash. I hate wallpaper.

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.

That's really gratifying to watch.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Sloppy posted:

Kinda gave me some PTSD flashbacks from doing the same thing in my house right after I bought it. Lots of really really cool wallpaper out there but I never want to remove it ever again.

raggedphoto
May 10, 2008

I'd like to shoot you

Harriet Carker posted:

Dumb question - what’s the benefit of doing all that scraping versus just painting over it?

Painting/wallpapering over and over for 75 years is how it got to this point. It was flaking off in places and made for some weird/uneven textures and I want smooth walls with no texture. It also holds smells and the plaster under it all is in great shape.

Given that this house will be ours for the long haul a few extra days up front seems worth it.

Sloppy posted:

I should've done more timelapses.

StormDrain posted:

I just ordered about eight samples of wallpaper to put up a wallpaper accent in my living room. It's me! The PO!

:argh:

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Are you using some kind of steamer? That was extremely cathartic, thank you!

When we closed on our house in May 1992, we had two weeks left on our lease. Wallpaper in every room; we were lucky that, except for the bathroom (had six layers. It was literally a bath room, with no shower, until some point in the late '50s, so there was paper under the glued-on metal tile :psyduck: around the tub) and the dining room (nasty-rear end flocked/felt wallpaper, originally green, now baby-poo poo brown).

It took three people three days to scrape down the dining room with paint scrapers, razors, and assorted implements of destruction. I had to go back & deal with major gouges in the plaster before we could prime it 2,000 times + top-coats. Sixty-year-old plaster is thirsty - took an entire gallon of primer for the walls of a 12x14 room.

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost

Omne posted:

For the inside our outside (which is stucco(?

Inside. At least that's where I got them cracks.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
Has no one given a shout out to the good dog helper yet? For shame

raggedphoto
May 10, 2008

I'd like to shoot you

PainterofCrap posted:

Are you using some kind of steamer? That was extremely cathartic, thank you!

When we closed on our house in May 1992, we had two weeks left on our lease. Wallpaper in every room; we were lucky that, except for the bathroom (had six layers. It was literally a bath room, with no shower, until some point in the late '50s, so there was paper under the glued-on metal tile :psyduck: around the tub) and the dining room (nasty-rear end flocked/felt wallpaper, originally green, now baby-poo poo brown).

It took three people three days to scrape down the dining room with paint scrapers, razors, and assorted implements of destruction. I had to go back & deal with major gouges in the plaster before we could prime it 2,000 times + top-coats. Sixty-year-old plaster is thirsty - took an entire gallon of primer for the walls of a 12x14 room.

I rented a steamer for a week and it got a lot of use, it worked great but couldn't get through all the layers in one pass. I think having plaster walls helped a lot given that I didn't have to worry about the paper layer of drywall.

Inner Light posted:

Has no one given a shout out to the good dog helper yet? For shame

Seriously.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Harriet Carker posted:

Painting over wallpaper is a time honored PO tradition.. It's bullshit. First wallpaper is not permanent, it will eventually need to come of, but it doesn't come off easily all at once when it's ready. Painting over it also induces stress, wallpaper isn't meant to be coated with wetness so sometimes it'll look like poo poo from the get-go. Thirdly now you have paint you need to steam past to get it off properly.

gently caress anyone who paints over wallpaper instead of doing it right.

NomNomNom
Jul 20, 2008
Please Work Out
My mother in law had a stairwell with wallpaper, floor to ceiling. drat right I painted over it, screw scraping wallpaper 15' up.

StarkingBarfish
Jun 25, 2006

Novus Ordo Seclorum
When it comes off relatively easily it's a very satisfying job. When it's several layers deep with paint in between some layers (that probably is full of lead) then it suuuucks. I had a mixture of the two when I decorated.

https://i.imgur.com/bEA7V38.mp4

Pretty happy with how it came out though.

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

StarkingBarfish posted:

Pretty happy with how it came out though.

As you should be.

Final Blog Entry
Jun 23, 2006

"Love us with money or we'll hate you with hammers!"
Wallpaper removal can be easy peasy if the wall was properly sized and sealed before it was properly hung. Otherwise it's a nightmare and you're repairing a bunch of drywall to boot. And you never know if it's going to be one, the other, or a little of both until you get into it. Most painters I work with actively avoid it by going straight to a $fuckyou quote or will only do it on a time and material basis.

StarkingBarfish
Jun 25, 2006

Novus Ordo Seclorum
Yep. Same is true of plasterers. I knew a few places would need skimmed and asked for quotes with/without stripping. Literally nobody wanted to deal with stripping and didn't even quote for it.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

tater_salad posted:

gently caress anyone who paints over wallpaper instead of doing it right.

Two houses ago, our '90s-built house had wallpaper that had been glued straight to the unfinished drywall, no skim coat. When you pulled off the wallpaper, no matter how carefully, the paper on the drywall went with it. That one we painted over.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Two houses ago, our '90s-built house had wallpaper that had been glued straight to the unfinished drywall, no skim coat. When you pulled off the wallpaper, no matter how carefully, the paper on the drywall went with it. That one we painted over.

okay except you..