Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

yeah i have no idea what the gently caress is happening in GoHS

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
The increasingly inaccurately named God of High School constantly gets more insane and I love it.

The world has ended 3 times at this point.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Shugojin posted:

No one does, it's great

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

The art-style gag in the latest SSS-Class Suicide Hunter had me rolling.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Shugojin posted:

I said the exact thing 4 years ago

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

For some reason I was under the impression GoHS ended after Mubong was defeated, lol. Going to have to see where in the world it went after that.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
which time?

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

I have a feeling the GoHS plot structure was basically the author came up with 4-5 different endings then just decided to run with all of them. Sometimes at once, sometimes start over and do the other one etc.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I refuse to believe the author came up with anything in advance

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
he probably came up with his mc being son goku from the start, at least. everything else? not so much.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

BREAKER. SEASON 3. CHAPTER 1. LET'S FUCKIN GO

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

:siren:

Is this gonna be on any legit english sites / apps?

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

That Works posted:

:siren:

Is this gonna be on any legit english sites / apps?
RIGHT HERE

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
It's weird seeing Breaker in the modern webtoon format

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Shi Woon's gotten too strong for your regular badass establishing scene now. Has to have an acupoint marionetting someone else into badassery scene instead.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Sindai posted:

It's weird seeing Breaker in the modern webtoon format

It is but I'm ok with it. I remember one of the authors writing about it years ago and said they liked it a lot in the new format or something like that.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!
Oh wow, the breaker continues at last. It's been so long since I read any of it that I'd need a refresher to remember anything but vague details. I do recall liking it quite a lot though!

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
I hope to see more pretty boys burst their pants about Shi-Woo's FIGHTING POTENTIAL

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Gologle posted:

I hope to see more pretty boys burst their pants about Shi-Woo's FIGHTING POTENTIAL
First we have to speedrun this 'Shiwoon gets a student' opening act.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Grouchio posted:

First we have to speedrun this 'Shiwoon gets a student' opening act.

It's a nice homage to the very first chapter too

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
5 chapters are out btw

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Jose posted:

5 chapters are out btw

Hootin and hollerin when Jin Hee shows up

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Havin' read all 6 chapters on Day 1, I don't really feel fully invested in the series as of yet.

It feels like a soft reboot with a new MC so new readers who haven't read The Breaker Parts 1 and 2 can get into the series without knowing the full deets (since a mysterious mentor figure who has his own poo poo going on isn't too uncommon, and is exactly what 9AD was like in the original Breaker). It's an understandable decision and the homages to the new kid's situation and Shiwoon's situation in Part 1 are neat, but on the other hand, it does feel weird going from Shiwoon's story to MC's story, especially after where Part 2 left off of.

Then again, the Breaker Part 1 was about both the master and student, with 9AD getting more focus than Shiwoon, so I guess I'll just wait and see how the series goes.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I think they should have aged up shiwoon more if he was gonna take on the mentor role. this feels goofy. also don't especially like the new kid much yet

but mostly I just want them to get on with continuing the story rather than basically recapping the first series by doing it over again

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Oh wow another Naver webtoon that plagiarizes a Shounen Jump manga.

There was the one that lifted stuff from Kimetsu last year, and now there's a webtoon that apparently just lifts Chainsaw Man.

https://comic.naver.com/webtoon/detail?titleId=794222&no=1&weekday=wed

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
it's derivative but it isn't plagiarism.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
i find it kind of funny how much more effort Naver and the other places put into cracking down on scans than japanese companies. Presumably as these are mostly consumed online

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

it's derivative but it isn't plagiarism.

It's also taken down now.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
Stumbled upon an archive for a series called Hive. It was originally hosted on Webtoons but a couple years ago they removed all of the chapters for some initiative to get people to re-read it again by re-uploading the chapters from the beginning, but then they pushed the chapters to the app at some point last year I think. I've been re-reading it since finding it again and it's still a fairly solid post apocalypse story in which the main character is an engineer stuck in a bad spot as his position in his company is eroding given his boss stole and patented a piece of technology from him years ago and he's currently being forced out of the company he works for by that same man. But during a smoke break there's a warning about wasps but what that announcer leaves out is that these wasps aren't the normal kind.

What follows is the extended quest for one man to hopefully reunite with his wife and child in the face of Armageddon. It also has one of my favorite characters in the form of a badass old man who is a sort of mercenary and the dude that carries the team many times on his aged and experienced back and knows far more than he lets on at any point in time.

Unfortunately in the years since the first series ended Webtoons hasn't had anyone translate both sequel series that continue on where the first series ended. There was a MTL attempt for the first sequel that dried up last year so it's not worth recommending. Still, Hive on it's own is worth the recommendation.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Brought To You By posted:

Stumbled upon an archive for a series called Hive. It was originally hosted on Webtoons but a couple years ago they removed all of the chapters for some initiative to get people to re-read it again by re-uploading the chapters from the beginning, but then they pushed the chapters to the app at some point last year I think. I've been re-reading it since finding it again and it's still a fairly solid post apocalypse story in which the main character is an engineer stuck in a bad spot as his position in his company is eroding given his boss stole and patented a piece of technology from him years ago and he's currently being forced out of the company he works for by that same man. But during a smoke break there's a warning about wasps but what that announcer leaves out is that these wasps aren't the normal kind.

What follows is the extended quest for one man to hopefully reunite with his wife and child in the face of Armageddon. It also has one of my favorite characters in the form of a badass old man who is a sort of mercenary and the dude that carries the team many times on his aged and experienced back and knows far more than he lets on at any point in time.

Unfortunately in the years since the first series ended Webtoons hasn't had anyone translate both sequel series that continue on where the first series ended. There was a MTL attempt for the first sequel that dried up last year so it's not worth recommending. Still, Hive on it's own is worth the recommendation.

Yeah Hive is fun, Dog Catcher and Dead Queen are pretty interesting too.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Also technically Dog Catcher is a prequel to Hive, not a sequel.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Breaker 3/Eternal Force continues to not really impress 8 chapters in. Though apparently the backlash was bad enough for the artist to notice.

It feels like the switch to color also made the art slightly worse.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Like the blog post talking about it has Koreans and foreigners alike getting salty in the comments.

https://m.blog.naver.com/CommentList.naver?blogId=tdstudio&logNo=222724732168

I didn't even realize foreigners could sign up for Naver.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

Breaker 3/Eternal Force continues to not really impress 8 chapters in. Though apparently the backlash was bad enough for the artist to notice.

It feels like the switch to color also made the art slightly worse.
But did anything change in the second half of chapter 8 like the author said it would?

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
I could be misremembering, but from what I remember, The Breaker was always a bit of a slow series? I remember this thread agonizing over every chapter by the time New Waves got to its endgame.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Grouchio posted:

But did anything change in the second half of chapter 8 like the author said it would?

Dunno, I read it last night but given how I don't know what the original intent was, I don't know if there are any changes.

At the very least the new MC is still in the focus, so it's not like they made him less prominent.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Gologle posted:

I could be misremembering, but from what I remember, The Breaker was always a bit of a slow series? I remember this thread agonizing over every chapter by the time New Waves got to its endgame.

It was slow but I think the issue is less with the speed and more the fact that people wanted a continuation of Shiwoon's story and then got 8 chapters of a dude whose going through Shiwoon's original arc but at a faster pace (probably because the current Naver webtoon climate/readerbase demands fast "cider" resolutions and the author is aware that a dragged out training arc with a brand new MC will not go over well), making the MC seem like even more of a genius than Shiwoon and someone who hasn't really earned his current level of strength (as opposed to Shiwoon, who went through a ton of poo poo).

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

yea it's not like the writing has become way worse or anything. the setup is just disappointing. and like I said before, if they wanted shiwoon to take his teacher's role then he should be older than like 16

I figure the plan was to retread part 1 until goomoonryong's heel turn but this time, new kid reaches shiwoon

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
It especially sucks cause Part 2 ended on the cliffhanger with the final boss of Part 1 offering to teach Shiwoon, and the original Sunwoo heir gaining godlike powers.

And then we're back in school.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

It especially sucks cause Part 2 ended on the cliffhanger with the final boss of Part 1 offering to teach Shiwoon, and the original Sunwoo heir gaining godlike powers.

And then we're back in school.
Why can't korean webtoon authors write like japanese mangaka to save their lives? All the manhwa I've read feel shallow in places.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Grouchio fucked around with this message at 08:33 on May 20, 2022