Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Mister Speaker posted:

Isn't there a Predator comic that takes place like, pre-American Revolution, that was written largely to explain the flintlock pistol? Or was it just written on a whim with no connection to the movies?

Either way I think you're right to speculate that we'll probably see a connection made to the films like that.

I'm personally curious as to how the predators' apparent 'weapon identifying' IFF system will react to a bow and arrow.

There’s a comic called “Predator: 1718” that tells the story of the flintlock pistol, basically the Elder Predator from Predator2 comes across a pirate Captain when the captain’s crew tries to mutiny, the Predator kills a bunch of them but the captain saves the Predator’s life but gets mortally wounded, and in his dying moments the Predator hands him its sword as a gift and he hands the Predator his engraved pistol and says “take it.”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pissed Ape Sexist
Apr 19, 2008

It was way more of a bro moment: After honorably gifting his pistol away the captain died, and the yautja dug him a grave. He was giving him one last silent nod before taking off and noticed how the dude's cross necklace was just like his own necklace of trophies, and then decided to put the sword in the grave and said 'take it'. It was a whole 'we're not so different, you and I' thing capped off with a final panel of the yautja ship taking off over the captain's ship. I always really liked it as a tiny one-off.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Pissed Ape Sexist posted:

Hey, neat, we now have an official Predator prequel release date. I assume this will be either a little good or very, very bad:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dF-Wzd8Ttno

This has the potential to be cool. I'm assuming those are native Americans and that could be a fun setting.

I'm a bit wary because these types of movies aren't known for being blockbusters or the pinnacle of filmmaking. I'll certainly watch it of course.

edit: the director did 10 Cloverfield Lane which was really good and The Boys which I've heard is very popular so this has me optimistic.

Pennywise the Frown fucked around with this message at 00:14 on May 18, 2022

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
My only complaint is that it's only on Hulu, which is one of the streaming services I don't have.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

I'm really surprised that this will be the first effort to show Predator hunting in any past era. The possibilities for that are endless, but I guess it's the unpopularity of the franchise after the performance of The Predator combined with the added expense of doing some kind of period piece that has discouraged it.

It's too early to say but it looks at the moment as though they've gotten around this with Prey by having a really small cast and filming all or most of it in the woods.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

MrMojok posted:

I'm really surprised that this will be the first effort to show Predator hunting in any past era. The possibilities for that are endless, but I guess it's the unpopularity of the franchise after the performance of The Predator combined with the added expense of doing some kind of period piece that has discouraged it.

It's too early to say but it looks at the moment as though they've gotten around this with Prey by having a really small cast and filming all or most of it in the woods.

Most of Predator takes place in the jungle, which is just tropical woods.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
You won't see Predators hunting in the desert because they're cowards.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Android Apocalypse posted:

You won't see Predators hunting

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Android Apocalypse posted:

You won't see Predators hunting in the desert because they're cowards.

Funnily enough there’s a Predator comic about a Predator hunting Native Americans in the southwest.

There are several Predator comics that posit that a lot of global folklore and myths are actually Predator encounters throughout history (Japanese Oni, Spring-Heeled Jack, etc).

The Zombie Guy
Oct 25, 2008

Pissed Ape Sexist
Apr 19, 2008

I thought the joke was that Danzig is aging into looking like a beefy Sigourney Weaver, which made me smile, but then I thought a bit more and smiled a second time

Pissed Ape Sexist fucked around with this message at 20:44 on May 18, 2022

Caf
May 21, 2004

I'm King James! The Lion King!

Xenomrph posted:

Funnily enough there’s a Predator comic about a Predator hunting Native Americans in the southwest.

I think there was a short story in the If It Bleeds anthology too but I might be remembering something else.

Also, I can't believe this thread is still going. I remember it starting right around the time we got our dog (and named her Ripley).

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Caf posted:

I think there was a short story in the If It Bleeds anthology too but I might be remembering something else.

Also, I can't believe this thread is still going. I remember it starting right around the time we got our dog (and named her Ripley).

What can I say, people like thinking about Aliens (the movie)

Can’t say I blame them

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Take me at your own risk.

Kiss From a Hog
The new Free League Alien RPG campaign is out in PDF format, and in a massive improvement over previous modules, you can be the ship's cat:

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

ChickenHeart posted:

The new Free League Alien RPG campaign is out in PDF format, and in a massive improvement over previous modules, you can be the ship's cat:

That isn’t just any cat, that is literally the author’s IRL tuxedo cat, also named Adrien.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Xenomrph posted:

Can’t say I blame them

:hmmyes:

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Xenomrph posted:

Can’t say I blame them

Fair enough, it's a good movie. So's the movie it's a sequel to.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Just finished Into Charybdis. It is one of the very best, if not the best, Aliens novels I’ve ever read.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

MrMojok posted:

Just finished Into Charybdis. It is one of the very best, if not the best, Aliens novels I’ve ever read.

But how horny was it?

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

I also just watched Aliens, because I had been thinking about it.

I love this film, it's in my top ten all-time favorites. And I love that Cameron is very technically-minded; he designed the Cheyenne dropships, or at least the initial concept, among a great many other things.

But there is one thing that has always bothered me about the film, and I realize how much of a lovely, nerdy nitpick this is, but I'm sorry, Jim... I don't think there any way you can fit a hundred rounds 10mm in diameter (even without the cases) into the pulse rifle magazines we see in the film.

I'm guessing some of you have shots guns... you know how thick a 9mm round is. Imagine that without the case, and imagine how much space a hundred of those takes up. Am I wrong?!?

They should have made the counter go to 50 when a new magazine is loaded, or said it was a 3mm round or something

MrMojok fucked around with this message at 04:06 on May 21, 2022

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
They're Thompson SMGs, which carry 20 or 30 rounds of .45ACP in their box magazines, so yeah the round count is wildly unrealistic. And I said this before but you see them spitting cases the entire movie.

Where's my NERF Pulse Rifle, dammit

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Mister Speaker posted:

And I said this before but you see them spitting cases the entire movie.

Holy poo poo, yeah. It is difficult to imagine how this happened, given that all it required was a change of one line and a change to the ammo counters.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

It's far more difficult to imagine they'd give a poo poo about some goobers being all :actually: over such a dumb thing in a kickin rad movie.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Yeah, the pulse rifle ammo count absolutely coasts by on the Rule of Cool.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

SilvergunSuperman posted:

It's far more difficult to imagine they'd give a poo poo about some goobers being all :actually: over such a dumb thing in a kickin rad movie.

Dude, I know. I know how dumb it is. And it's one of the raddest movies of all time.

To further expose my dumbness, I'll add that I became bound and determined to join the military when I was in HS, and stories I'd been told by vietnam-era USMC veterans heavily influenced me in their direction, and if I am being honest... seeing Aliens in 1986 was the deciding factor.

Yes, I thought at the time that the real-life USMC might be like that.

(NARRATOR: it was not like that at all)

But my familiarity with weapons and ammo from that experience just won't allow my mind to let things like this to go by. You should hear me rant about uniforms and ribbon placement on some current-era stuff that depicts Marine dress uniforms.

MrMojok fucked around with this message at 05:19 on May 21, 2022

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
I think 'the Aliens effect' also was a big factor in a buddy of mine enlisting in the USMC as well. Wouldn't be surprised if many people share that experience. They really did nail the Marine culture, their esprit du corps, all the moto language they use and the minutiae of Marine life.

Wasn't the guy who played Apone actually in the Marines?

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Mister Speaker posted:

I think 'the Aliens effect' also was a big factor in a buddy of mine enlisting in the USMC as well. Wouldn't be surprised if many people share that experience. They really did nail the Marine culture, their esprit du corps, all the moto language they use and the minutiae of Marine life.

Yeah, I think he was a Vietnam vet himself.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

MrMojok posted:

But my familiarity with weapons and ammo from that experience just won't allow my mind to let things like this to go by. You should hear me rant about uniforms and ribbon placement on some current-era stuff that depicts Marine dress uniforms.

I thought there was a thing where the uniforms in a film have to be flawed in some way or it counts as impersonation of the military. Or is that an urban legend?

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

BattleMaster posted:

I thought there was a thing where the uniforms in a film have to be flawed in some way or it counts as impersonation of the military. Or is that an urban legend?

Nah, that's legend. There are some films and TV shows that get it totally right, and these tend to be the ones who have former military people working on those aspects of the production. Ribbon placement is some really insane minutiae, but there is an order of precedence for all ribbons and medals and if it's wrong, people who were in tend to just zoom right in on it.

It's just that the people who know it are a microscopic percentage of the viewers, the film companies have to pay people who know to get it right, and in the end if they get it wrong about 99% of the viewers have no idea, so why bother?

MrMojok fucked around with this message at 05:33 on May 21, 2022

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Mister Speaker posted:

They did kind of nail some aspects of it. There is a real institutional fatalism in the USMC, that has existed since the Vietnam war, that they got down pretty well. And it pervades a lot of the post-Aliens EU stuff, so good on them for that.

The idea of being under-strength, while not totally unique to the USMC, is definitely there. The idea of doing more with less, I guess you could call it, is there. The arrogance is most certainly there.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
Aliens is on TV right now on SyFy.

It's been a while since I've seen the non-extended TV edit.

Bulgaroctonus
Dec 31, 2008

Mister Speaker posted:

They're Thompson SMGs, which carry 20 or 30 rounds of .45ACP in their box magazines, so yeah the round count is wildly unrealistic. And I said this before but you see them spitting cases the entire movie.

Where's my NERF Pulse Rifle, dammit

I know, right? I ordered two of the drat things one for me and one for my daughter and haven’t heard a fuckin’ thing. I know they’re supposed to ship in October or so, but a heads up once in awhile or some kind of yo, we’re making yo poo poo, just chill a while would be nice. >: (

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Mister Speaker posted:

I knew 3 different people that signed up to the armed forces after seeing starship troopers and somehow walking away from that movie unaffected by the sillyhammer of satire

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
I saw it in the theaters when it came out when I was maybe 14 and had zero awareness of the overt fascism. And yes, it absolutely was a factor in me joining the Marines.

I was also watching Full Metal Jacket when the recruiter came to pick me up.

Kids are dumb.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Pennywise the Frown posted:

I saw it in the theaters when it came out when I was maybe 14 and had zero awareness of the overt fascism. And yes, it absolutely was a factor in me joining the Marines.

I was also watching Full Metal Jacket when the recruiter came to pick me up.

Kids are dumb.

I watched Platoon at the theater when it first came out and this also had a real influence on me deciding to join the military :shepface:

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

If paul verhoeven's movies had a flaw, it's they were so loving good both sides got what they wanted from them.

If.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

SilvergunSuperman posted:

If paul verhoeven's movies had a flaw, it's they were so loving good both sides got what they wanted from them.

If.

This is absolutely true. I could talk for hours about RoboCop because growing up having watched and loved it at way too young an age it's like I unlocked different layers of the movie at different developmental milestones, and it works perfectly as a relentlessly paced action movie about a robot cop who blasts punks and creeps if that's all you want out of it and are looking to get.

Frankly that's the beauty and genius of Verhoeven, he makes satire that functions from a surface watch as a straight-faced as perfectly satisfying, even exemplary examples of the genres it satirizes. I don't think it would work half as well if he turned the dial one single degree towards the deliberate Hot Shots/Naked Gun type vibe.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Word. Purists rag on Verhoeven for not having read the book, not understanding the source material.

And I mean, I wanted to see a movie that showed the power armor, that showed the troopers being shot out of the Rodger Young like bullets at the planet, but what Verhoeven gave us instead was one of the greatest slams on facism in film history.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
So Alien is on TV and I noticed that the rotten tomatoes score was 98%. That's good but.... who is that other 2%.

So I checked the reviews. Let's see what those people have to say.

quote:

An empty-headed horror movie with nothing to recommend it beyond the disco-inspired art direction and some handsome, if gimmicky, cinematography.

This movie probably created the gimmicks dumbass.

quote:

It is depressing to watch an expensive, crafty movie that never soars beyond its cold desire to score the big bucks.

:psyduck:

quote:

These things no longer surprise or tantalize us as they once did. In a very short time, science-fiction films have developed their own jargon that's now become a part of the grammar.

Wtf does this even mean? You made this review in 2005. The movie came out in 1979. Do you think this is a brand new movie?

I wouldn't want to associate with these people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

I did fall asleep reading a particularly erotic chapter
in my grandmother's journal.

She wrote very detailed descriptions of her experiences...
I am certain all three of the "rotten" reviews are vintage 1979 and the later dates are from when the post went up on the web. Alien actually got mixed reviews when first released; it got a lot of well-deserved praise but there was also a vocal contingent that kinda shrugged and went "I don't get it, it's just a really slick monster flick." In fairness, they're not wrong necessarily (there's precious little that was actually new about Alien), but they underestimated what jt meant that a space monster flick was never done that well before.

Also: critics back then were ASSHOLES. No one around today even compares. Believe it or not one of the reasons Siskel & Ebert caught on was because they were more in tune with everyday moviegoers than many of their snobby contemporaries.

Edit: To add, I used to marvel at how quickly the blockbusters of the late 70s/ early 80s seemed to turn their reputations from "loved by many but considered somewhat superficial" (Star Wars, Spielberg, Alien, Halloween, et al, all had their detractors) to "immortal classics," but eventually realized there was no reevaluation: rather everyone decided, pretty much instantly, that the critical consensus was wrong and discarded it.

SidneyIsTheKiller fucked around with this message at 14:51 on Jun 2, 2022