Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
Why does the commonwealth of man always show up when I play with my custom united earth? Its annoying really. I want to play with just my own custom empires.

Anyway I had a bizzarly good start when they appeared three systems away from my homeplanet. I quickly had a fleet on their capital border and just took it. That was a fun boost to my game.

Sadly I realised I had put the difficulty on escalating. So my first few years have been pathetically easy. I've been hobbling myself and just not expanding very much :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
If you play as UNoE, the game is coded to always spawn the CoM in the game as well. Likewise if you play as CoM, either the UNoE or Earth Custodianship are guaranteed to spawn.

It's handled by some special flags in the preset empire definitions, and if you make a new custom empire by editing the preset ones, they inherit those flags.

Slashrat fucked around with this message at 08:46 on May 19, 2022

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Is it I that is insane... or the rest of the world?

Slashrat posted:

If you play as UNoE, the game is coded to always spawn the CoM in the game as well. Likewise if you play as CoM, either the UNoE or Earth Custodianship are guaranteed to spawn.

I think it's handled by some custom flags in the empire definitions maybe, and if you make a new custom empire by editing the preset ones, they inherit those flags.

This is almost certainly the cause.

I always make my empires from scratch and I've mad ea lot of human ones without having had that issue.

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about spending hundreds of dollars on Mass Effect 2 emoticons and Avatars.

Oven Wrangler
I use a mod specifically to disable that functionality, called "No forced CoM". It hasn't been updated in a long time, but it still works. It does have one side-effect which is that it'll spawn a second Sol system somewhere in the galaxy that has a tomb-world earth, but I can live with that.

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer
https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/foru...s+Dev+Diary+253

Hotfix confirmed and some changes for the patch after, including:

FINALLY PDX THANK YOU posted:

Construction ships now have an Automated Construction mode, which will automatically build Research and Mining Stations over appropriate deposits. (It will not automatically build Observation Stations, Hyper Relays, or other constructions.)

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
Holy poo poo finally!

Rev. Melchisedech Howler
Sep 5, 2006

You know. Leather.
More importantly

Paradox posted:

We also have some quality of life automation improvements planned for 3.4.4:

Automated Exploration and Automated Research are now available from the start of the game rather than being tech-locked.

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Thank god, I specifically always ran with an auto-explore mod because that was really annoying.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
Is there a way to destroy or dismantle orbital rings actually?

In my last game I purged some colonies I conquered, with no plans to settle them myself, but the orbital rings remained and I couldn't see any way to get rid of them.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Slashrat posted:

Is there a way to destroy or dismantle orbital rings actually?

In my last game I purged some colonies I conquered, with no plans to settle them myself, but the orbital rings remained and I couldn't see any way to get rid of them.

Colossus?

Edit: Cracking or shielding should remove the ring

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Aethernet posted:

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/foru...s+Dev+Diary+253

Hotfix confirmed and some changes for the patch after, including:
Oh my god oh my god oh my god

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

Stellaris: Distant Worlds 1.5

Finally about the constructor automation! Just trying to remember: didn't the old sectors during tiled planets times actually automatically build stations? It's the one thing I missed from back then.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

canepazzo posted:

Stellaris: Distant Worlds 1.5

Finally about the constructor automation! Just trying to remember: didn't the old sectors during tiled planets times actually automatically build stations? It's the one thing I missed from back then.
Not only that, they would build their own constructors!

I am genuinely wondering if DWII made them go "ugh I guess people DO like this stuff"

Arcanuse
Mar 15, 2019

quote:

Construction ships now have an Automated Construction mode, which will automatically build Research and Mining Stations over appropriate deposits. (It will not automatically build Observation Stations, Hyper Relays, or other constructions.)
:eyepop:

don't know at what point in a given game I'll need it, but I'm glad to have the option

Phosphine
May 30, 2011

WHY, JUDY?! WHY?!
🤰🐰🆚🥪🦊
If the auto-construct (and auto-survey, pleeeese) could stay on when retreating from hostiles or running out of targets, this would be fantastic.

Just leave a construction ship in auto mode somewhere and it will handle new deposits/rare resources becoming available/stuff lost to piracy and whatever.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
wait, hold on. automated research?

Phosphine
May 30, 2011

WHY, JUDY?! WHY?!
🤰🐰🆚🥪🦊

Truga posted:

wait, hold on. automated research?

Positronic AI, a tier 4 physics tech, enables auto-research now. I don't know how it picks

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Phosphine posted:

Positronic AI, a tier 4 physics tech, enables auto-research now. I don't know how it picks

Completely random with what feels like weights (It tends to prioritize rare tech) so I'm thinking it picks just like the AI does.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
that actually owns, between all this and the new automated planets i can basically focus 100% on warfare when playing the crisis lmao

last time this was possible was like 1.6. the only thing that isn't back yet is probably auto-colonization?

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

I have made it a firm policy to always pick the cheapest technology regardless of how useful beelining is and it is hilarious. I recommend everyone try it at least once.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
picking the cheapest every time is a good strategy if you have good science production, because it's the most efficient. early on when you don't have tons of science yet it'll give you new techs quicker, making you grow faster, then you'll get the expensive techs quick anyway because you'll have tons of science

for normal runs where you're not swimming in science it's not so good, because without beelining something you want for your playthrough, you'll probably get it too late. still, against the AI, it kinda works regardless

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
Dammit did this small hotfix really break saves.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

the 3.4.3 changelog is way larger than I expected

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Splicer posted:

I am genuinely wondering if DWII made them go "ugh I guess people DO like this stuff"
I was wondering if it was this or the new game director wants this stuff and the old one did not, or something like that. I find it absurd that a mechanic that is only useful the very beginning of the game was gated behind a midgame tech, so maybe someone else realized the, uh, absurdity there and did something about it?

AAAAA! Real Muenster fucked around with this message at 13:20 on May 19, 2022

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

I was wonder if it was this or the new game director wants this stuff and the old one did not, or something like that. I find it absurd that a mechanic that is only useful the very beginning of the game was gated behind a midgame tech, so maybe someone else realized the, uh, absurdity there and did something about it?

Perhaps the Custodian team has started asking questions like, "Hey, what if we put in an option to get rid of the low value busywork? Do you think people would like that?"

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Aethernet posted:

Perhaps the Custodian team has started asking questions like, "Hey, what if we put in an option to get rid of the low value busywork? Do you think people would like that?"
That would make sense. In any case, whatever the reason, I'm excited that they are doing it. I might actually play again after this next patch drops.

edit: I am morbidly curious if some weirdo will have a meltdown on the PDX forums about it.

AAAAA! Real Muenster fucked around with this message at 13:23 on May 19, 2022

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

I'm glad auto-survey is being made baseline. Every time I see the tech option I've already established borders so the option is wasted.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

I always thought auto-surveying came at about the right time. I’m never going to use it early on when trying to get borders established, only afterwards when I just want my ships to go out and explore wherever to get map info and XP/anomaly goodies. I’m glad it’ll be there now for people who want it though!

And yeah, I think this is almost certainly because they now have a team with the time to focus on established stuff like this rather than developing new content or putting out fires.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Horace Kinch posted:

I'm glad auto-survey is being made baseline. Every time I see the tech option I've already established borders so the option is wasted.

Anno posted:

I always thought auto-surveying came at about the right time. I’m never going to use it early on when trying to get borders established, only afterwards when I just want my ships to go out and explore wherever to get map info and XP/anomaly goodies. I’m glad it’ll be there now for people who want it though!

And yeah, I think this is almost certainly because they now have a team with the time to focus on established stuff like this rather than developing new content or putting out fires.
I always rush for it ASAP specifically to kill the busywork of backfilling my territory, but that means that I have insane sensors super early so a lot of early game exploration is somehow both dull and overwhelming because I can see through time itself but don't have the mental bandwidth to process it.

This is why locking busywork savers behind tech is a bad idea because different playstyles mean wildly different experiences of basic game mechanics.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011
i've got this set pattern of immediately building a 2nd science ship and scouting all within 2 systems for hab planets, then pointing at choke points, but i also make two more science ships to backfill and/or excavate, and beeline for auto survey right away so i'm happy they are making it baseline. especially the auto-construction, about time

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID
How does the scaling difficulty work? If I select a medium setting and turn scaling on, does the scaling go from very easy to medium over time, or does it start at medium and scales to the maximum over time?

Phosphine
May 30, 2011

WHY, JUDY?! WHY?!
🤰🐰🆚🥪🦊

Fhqwhgads posted:

How does the scaling difficulty work? If I select a medium setting and turn scaling on, does the scaling go from very easy to medium over time, or does it start at medium and scales to the maximum over time?

Starts at easy (easiest? Different depending on difficulty? Don't know) and scales up to the selected.

Edit: This increased/improved automation makes me want to roleplay a stupid concept: Aspiring Bio-Trophies. Start out as a bio empire, maybe machinist for a head start, and try to get robots to do all the work. As soon as I get robot leaders, science ships/sectors with robot leaders are fully automated, with the bios just trying to chill somewhere. Unfortunately you can't change your founder species to indentured servitude and have them purely entertainers or something.

Phosphine fucked around with this message at 15:07 on May 19, 2022

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

From the description, I assumed dynamic difficulty made the difficulty choice irrelevant?

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

Splicer posted:

I always rush for it ASAP specifically to kill the busywork of backfilling my territory, but that means that I have insane sensors super early so a lot of early game exploration is somehow both dull and overwhelming because I can see through time itself but don't have the mental bandwidth to process it.

This is why locking busywork savers behind tech is a bad idea because different playstyles mean wildly different experiences of basic game mechanics.

Yeah unlocking it from the get go is a good decision. I will definitely make use of the auto-constructors past the super early game, too.

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO
May 8, 2006
Is there a good guide on optimizing your economy and research? I feel like I am not hitting the marks as far as research benchmarks and resource production. I already realized that building a gene clinic first on each planet was a terrible idea.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Anno posted:

Yeah unlocking it from the get go is a good decision. I will definitely make use of the auto-constructors past the super early game, too.
There's various points in the game where I'll be chaining multiple outpost build orders; having a second constructor on auto to fill in the actual resources without me having to do it manually will be a godsend. Similarly after I finish researching an anomaly that spawns a deposit or finish researching an exploit tech it'll be very nice to have the deposit auto-exploited.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

ThaumPenguin posted:

From the description, I assumed dynamic difficulty made the difficulty choice irrelevant?

Not at all, the difficulty choice is what you're scaling to. If you set it to commodore, you start at the easiest difficulty, and it ramps up over time to commodore. If you set it to grand admiral, you still start at the easiest and it scales up to grand admiral.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Auto construction is so nice, and it'll be nice to pull auto survey out of my mini mod.

Auto research is something I only ever use once I've picked up every tech I care about, so other than gimmick games I can't see using that from the start. Maybe if it gets changed to stop the tech research complete popups, so I just periodically notice that I have new things I can do.

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow
Dis 3.4.3 fix the tracking? Saw something about it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Popoto posted:

Dis 3.4.3 fix the tracking? Saw something about it

Supposedly, yes.