Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Arzachel posted:

Curve optimizer for 5800X3D is available through Ryzen Master afaik.

Ryzen Master 2.9.0.2093 doesn’t even have a cpu section in the profiles on my 5800x3d, the only section that shows up is memory control. AGESA 1.2.06c according to cpu-z.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

kliras posted:

i currently don't have curve optimizer for 5800X3D in the latest version of ryzen master on my x470 motherboard. either it's for x570, or it's because i don't have agesa 1.2.0.7, so there are some limitations to it

hobbesmaster posted:

Ryzen Master 2.9.0.2093 doesn’t even have a cpu section in the profiles on my 5800x3d, the only section that shows up is memory control. AGESA 1.2.06c according to cpu-z.

Yeah, I'm wrong. You can get it working through the PBO2 Tuner app floating on OCN but it's not officially supported.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
Bummer. Well given that there is a way to get it working hopefully official support will be added at some point.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

Mozi posted:

Would an overclocked 5900X still come out on top (in gaming) in some cases?

in a handful of titles yes but generally no. i don't have the analysis offhand but someone did a deep dive comparing (iirc) the two on titles where the 5800X3D had a significant advantage. the findings were interesting: ram overclocking gave very significant gains in the areas where the 5900X was behind (never anywhere near catching up, but much more than just straight overclocking) while ram overclocking barely made a difference to the X3D.

it was hypothesized that older games that are already small enough to fit into a standard cache, your CS:GO or what have you, will gain nothing and as such run better on an overclocked chip. but on more modern titles when it exceeds the cache the 5900x has to transmit data back and forth to ram which causes a significant bottleneck comparitively and that's where you see the gains.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
So a few pages back the question was asked: is there any good reason to update your BIOS if everything is working fine? I have discovered one!

When re-applying your bios settings & memory OC, you might find that the exact settings you were using previously aren't stable anymore. And then you might spend two whole evenings trying different memory clocks, timings, memtesting, and even rolling back to the old bios to try to make it work again. And then you might finally come to the conclusion, well gently caress, I think the memory itself has gone bad! This poo poo can't complete a full 4-pass memtest at any settings.

Alternately, memtest your PC every so often rather than waiting for some external event to surprise you. Especially if you have OCed ram. Though it's not like I was abusing it. I've been running it with a *tiny* overvolt (1.37v recently), nothing that you'd expect to be harmful. But I've had this memory since 2017 and it was kinda cheap poo poo to begin with, so I'm not exactly shocked that it suffered an early death.

(And now I'm insanely paranoid because this was probably happening invisibly for weeks or months, and I just recently did some shuffling of data to move things around onto different drives. I don't know how likely it is that any files got an off-by-one error while being copied, the error rate wasn't large. But it's possible!)

Cantide
Jun 13, 2001
Pillbug
At least from my experience OCCT was pretty successful in showing CPU errors when everything else seemed fine https://www.ocbase.com/download
Also it doesn't need to run for 12 hours.
EDIT: Free for personal use when I used it in the past

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Cantide posted:

At least from my experience OCCT was pretty successful in showing CPU errors when everything else seemed fine https://www.ocbase.com/download
Also it doesn't need to run for 12 hours.
EDIT: Free for personal use when I used it in the past

I don't think OCCT does a test that turns cores on and off like that script for Prime95 does, which is what you needed for testing undervolts.

Broose
Oct 28, 2007
So I went ahead and bought a 3800x3d to use for the next 4-5 years. However now that I am reading about how to switch out CPUs I'm seeing a lot of posts about how there are serious stutter issues in all new BIOS due to some tpm issue? I'm not quite clear on what's going on honestly. Are these issues only for windows 11 users or all windows users? My current CPU and BIOS work pretty good and id hate to put in the effort to switch everything out and be met with tons of stutters I can do nothing about.

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
windows 11 requires tpm, so it just means people are guaranteed to have it enabled when they install the os. i think it can still be disabled in bios after installing

anyway, updating your bios to a version that has agesa 1.2.0.7 fixes the problem. not all older motherboards have received the update, but most have by now

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Ask me about that time I told people mixing bleach and vinegar is okay
The very newest bios is the ones that finally fix that issue actually (the last few bios that came out were supposed to help), I never did experience any tpm issues on window 10 or 11 when I switched.

You will need an ~April or newer bios to fully use your 5800x3d.

I have one too.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Broose posted:

So I went ahead and bought a 3800x3d to use for the next 4-5 years. However now that I am reading about how to switch out CPUs I'm seeing a lot of posts about how there are serious stutter issues in all new BIOS due to some tpm issue? I'm not quite clear on what's going on honestly. Are these issues only for windows 11 users or all windows users? My current CPU and BIOS work pretty good and id hate to put in the effort to switch everything out and be met with tons of stutters I can do nothing about.

The stutter happens on all windows versions, and possibly other OSes as well.

If you want both your 5800x3d and windows 11, install 11 with fTPM turned on, and then just turn off fTPM again in the BIOS. As long as you're not using Bitlocker drive encryption or something like Windows Hello for Business, the TPM isn't really doing anything.

Quaint Quail Quilt posted:

The very newest bios is the ones that finally fix that issue actually (the last few bios that came out were supposed to help), I never did experience any tpm issues on window 10 or 11 when I switched.

I've never had TPM turned on so I haven't had stutters... but I've also never AFAIK seen the USB disconnect issue during the entire lifecycle of my system starting with zen 1.

Both of these are fairly infrequent problems that only show up with some hardware combinations and not others. I can understand how it would take a couple tries at solving the problem. Maybe the solution for AM5 will be to mandate tighter specs for the platform and mobo makers.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
Lol my 5950x can't even hold an all-core CO undervolt of -5. Guess I won't bother with that.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
So I scanned the last three pages and couldn't see a similar question so sorry if this is a frequently answered one but..

I'm looking to upgrade my 2600 non-x before the end of financial year as a tax deduction. PC is mostly WFH use with some 1440p gaming on occasion.

System is a B550M mortar (original B450 died), WD SN570 nvme ssd and 2*8GB 3200Mhz ram. CPU is cooled by a 360mm AIO because it was cheap and I am dumb. Also have a GTX980 in there which I plan to swap for a 3060 later in the year.

I can claim $300 AUD on an individual purchase without needing to factor in depreciation, so my options are a Ryzen 5600 for $285 or a 5600G for $279.

Is there any reason not to go for the 5600G? Figure if my 980 dies at least I'll be able to work using the iGPU, but if there is a significant difference in architecture or some performance limiting factor on the G I would rather have the 5600.

Thanks folks xoxo

lih
May 15, 2013

Just a friendly reminder of what it looks like.

We'll do punctuation later.
the 5600G is not just a 5600 with iGPU added, it's significantly slower than the 5600. the 5600 is far better value for money and is absolutely what you should get at that price point.

the only real reason I can think of to get a 5600G is if you are building an extremely low-budget gaming build that isn't going to have a discrete GPU at all.

lih fucked around with this message at 12:41 on May 19, 2022

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

lih posted:

the 5600G is not just a 5600 with iGPU added, it's significantly slower than the 5600. the 5600 is far better value for money.

Oh so it's not vermeer-based at all then, well yeah that's an easy choice. I did a bit of digging before deciding to upgrade and it looks like the delta between zen+ and zen3 Vermeer chips is around 40% in the sorts of use cases I'm interested in, and given how long it'll probably take for ddr5 to sort itself out, seems worth it for me.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
beaten, but yeah the 5600G has less cache and clocks lower in exchange for having an iGPU, which is irrelevant to you since you have a 980 and will be moving up to an even better discrete GPU later

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Don Dongington posted:

Oh so it's not vermeer-based at all then, well yeah that's an easy choice. I did a bit of digging before deciding to upgrade and it looks like the delta between zen+ and zen3 Vermeer chips is around 40% in the sorts of use cases I'm interested in, and given how long it'll probably take for ddr5 to sort itself out, seems worth it for me.

No, it IS vermeer, it's just slow vermeer. Like the person you're replying to said, it has less cache (one of Zen's biggest benefits over intel designs is its cache) and slower clocks. So it's like 10 - 15% slower than the 5600.

Llamadeus
Dec 20, 2005
It's Cezanne, not Vermeer

mdxi
Mar 13, 2006

to JERK OFF is to be close to GOD... only with SPURTING

Vermeer and Cezanne are product series codenames, not CPU core codenames.

The 5600X and 5600G both have Zen 3 CPU cores, which I think was the point, since Zen+ got brought up.

mdxi fucked around with this message at 15:54 on May 19, 2022

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

They don’t have zen3 chiplets though, the 5600G is monolithic.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

gradenko_2000 posted:

beaten, but yeah the 5600G has less cache and clocks lower in exchange for having an iGPU, which is irrelevant to you since you have a 980 and will be moving up to an even better discrete GPU later

The 5500 sucks from the lack of cache too; it's significantly closer to 3600 performance than the 5600X.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
I only wanted to drop a 5800X3D into my SFF PC (currently a 2700X on a B450 board that just got 1.2.0.7) but ended up buying a new mainboard (B550) and SSD for it too :shepspends:

Still rocking my old GTX 980 because lol video cards.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

orcane posted:

I only wanted to drop a 5800X3D into my SFF PC (currently a 2700X on a B450 board that just got 1.2.0.7) but ended up buying a new mainboard (B550) and SSD for it too :shepspends:

I mean given I don't think I would drop that kind of money on a CPU in general, but it makes a certain kind of sense if you want it to last a couple years, given to upgrade anything beyond this point you're looking at motherboard, CPU and ram in one hit.

Given mainboards are typically the first things to die and the hardest things to find on their own on the used market, you probably made a good choice, plus you can probably find some cheap OEM ram on marketplace and repurpose the 2700 into a decent server or something.

Consider your purchases justified, sir.

Also as a fellow 980 owner, the 4060 isn't coming out for probably 18 months at this point and who knows what fuckery the chip shortage that everyone says is only just beginning will do to the market, so it's probably worth grabbing a 3060 or RX6600 when you can. It'll never be a "good" time to buy a GPU, but there have certainly been worse times, and the 3060 is dipping below MSRP on sale at least, and the RX range actually selling for less than launch MSRP at retail. The 3070 and 3060ti still ain't worth it IMO.

Apart from the huge performance boost, you pick up ray tracing, DLSS, Freesync support, and the ability to display HDR content at greater than 60hz, which the 980 can't do due to old HDMI/Display port standards and the lack of tensor cores.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

orcane posted:

If you play games I recommend spending less than $450 for a CPU and more than $0 for a GPU.

mdxi
Mar 13, 2006

Nobody asked for opinions on why they shouldn't buy something.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

It's a CPU designed almost entirely for gaming and they deserve a light ribbing for pairing it with an 8 year old GPU :colbert:

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
:shrug:

It's one of my Dan A4 hobby projects, not a cost effective gaming project. It used to have an RTX 2070 but that broke shortly before new cards were about to come out and then they did and you couldn't buy them - one day it will have a new GPU, but I'm not paying $600+ for a 2-slot (ie. rather baseline) RTX 3060 Ti, 1.5 years after the chip launched at $400 MSRP. Maybe with the next generation it will be even worse, maybe not, maybe the 5800X3D wouldn't be available easily in a few months when I'll get a GPU upgrade :)

E: I'm going to play Guild Wars 2 with BIG CACHE CPU :3:

orcane fucked around with this message at 19:48 on May 20, 2022

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

hobbesmaster posted:

So… I bought two pairs. One pair had errors at JEDEC settings. The other had errors at 3600 18-22-22-22-80. I’m exchanging them because Amazon makes that simple but I suspect the odds are high I’ll get someone else’s DOA sticks because that seems like how this works.

I guess since I was in the mood for bios resets and reboots I tested my x3d’s FCLK with my old ram. It couldn’t do anything about 1900MHz without constant WHEAs (3800) but the SOC and fabric voltages could go down a lot and 3800 was still stable. Since the x3d is very sensitive to heat that might help a touch?

I exchanged both of these kits and one kit doesn't even post after a BIOS reset!

The other, well:

Not bad!

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

So, all the news sites are saying that AMD plans to unveil B650, X670, and X670E at Computex tomorrow (E being the same chipset but with PCIe 5.0 on the x16 slot and at least one m.2 slot mandated). We're also getting a lot of leaks about specific motherboards the different vendors plan to release, as well as leaked marketing materials about them.

Nobody seems to be saying anything about AMD launching the Ryzen 7000 series tomorrow, but isn't it strange that we're getting all this marketing for the new AM5 motherboards already? Is the next gen of AMD CPUs coming much sooner than expected?

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Rembrandt maybe? That was the initial rumor a few years ago, that AM5 would launch with a previous-gen APU (like AM4 did!), but it seemed to fade.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

So, all the news sites are saying that AMD plans to unveil B650, X670, and X670E at Computex tomorrow (E being the same chipset but with PCIe 5.0 on the x16 slot and at least one m.2 slot mandated). We're also getting a lot of leaks about specific motherboards the different vendors plan to release, as well as leaked marketing materials about them.

Nobody seems to be saying anything about AMD launching the Ryzen 7000 series tomorrow, but isn't it strange that we're getting all this marketing for the new AM5 motherboards already? Is the next gen of AMD CPUs coming much sooner than expected?

"Unveil" doesn't mean they'll be on shelves. Mobo makers have their physical designs prototyped well ahead of shipping. IIRC in previous years there's been mobos in computex for platforms that weren't launching until the 2nd half of the year.

(Also "2nd half 2022" was always the planned date for 7000 and that isn't that far away at this point. If DDR5 supply is getting good enough that AMD is seeing people buy the 12xxx platform I'm sure they'll try to get it out as early as they can.)

The two chipset chips thing is fuckin' weird though.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

I guess I was just expecting something like a september or october release date, so this all seems a bit soon to me. but maybe it's more normal than I remember.

Double the chipsets means double the possible I/O, and there's some talk about the higher-end X670E boards potentially being marketed as an HEDT-lite platform to go with the rumored 24-core 7950X.

For lower-end boards with less connectivity, the reason given for dual chips seems to be signal integrity, with the chips being spaced apart so they're nearer to the I/O they control. And dual chips may allow them to run each one with less power, thus passive cooling, perhaps?

mdxi
Mar 13, 2006

If there really is a 24-core part, I could cut my compute farm down to four machines while having the same number of cores/threads.

Or I could go the :catdrugs: route, keep running six machines, but have 144 cores / 288 threads.

Tough call.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
The correct answer is to treat yourself to some Epycs....

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

mdxi posted:

If there really is a 24-core part, I could cut my compute farm down to four machines while having the same number of cores/threads.

Or I could go the :catdrugs: route, keep running six machines, but have 144 cores / 288 threads.

Tough call.

What do you do with these? I'm genuinely curious, not heckling. My understanding is that for long term high load computing desktop chips are pretty inefficient compared to server chips, which are at much lower clocks.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

https://twitter.com/VideoCardz/status/1528440602223947776

I guess that's probably AVX512 confirmed? "AI Acceleration instructions" sounds like AVX512 VNNI

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

repiv posted:

https://twitter.com/VideoCardz/status/1528440602223947776

I guess that's probably AVX512 confirmed? "AI Acceleration instructions" sounds like AVX512 VNNI

So I guess the delidded shot sinks that 24-core rumor. There's no way the CCDs are 12-core now, right?

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
I don't normally upgrade my CPU without rebuilding and can either give away my old computer or re-purpose it... but I'm debating picking up a 5800x3d or 5950x to replace my 3900x, what do y'all normally do with your old CPUs?

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Mr. Crow posted:

I don't normally upgrade my CPU without rebuilding and can either give away my old computer or re-purpose it... but I'm debating picking up a 5800x3d or 5950x to replace my 3900x, what do y'all normally do with your old CPUs?

I'm considering getting a 5800x3D, too, and my historical practice has been to hang on to old CPUs similarly to how I hang onto old GPUs. CPUs take up next to no space, and I like having them around for redundancy or to do a possible build with down the road. I think I just last year cleared out my stash of a few socket 939 CPUs that I had on hand because I got rid of my ancient desktops of that era. My memory is not super clear, though - I might have hung onto the CPUs and they're just in a box somewhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
A 3900X is resalable. They appear to be going for $250+ on ebay. It's still a reasonable choice for someone with high threadcount workloads where single core performance isn't the focus. For ~$225 net a 5800X3D would be a pretty killer upgrade that actually makes a lot of sense if you're mostly gaming. Not really losing much if anything in multithreaded stuff you might do, and a very significant uplift for games.