Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

Huh World Seed sounds like, totally underwhelming and like also the perfect game for me. I could go for some shameless character progression without getting bogged down by MMO bullshit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sailormoon
Jun 28, 2014

fighting evil by moonlight
winning love by daylight

Are there any "good" MMO private servers for older games with a decent community and hopefully not pay to win?

Craving a grind, but burnt out on EQ and the modern trifecta. Let me know if I missed a thread or if there's some subreddit I can crawl too to find something.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

City of heroes?

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

there's a bunch of FF11 private servers but I don't know about how they are to play because that game confuses me

aside from that you've got the standard WoW servers where most of them are heavily p2w with one or two gems (turtle wow for spicy-classic, chromiecraft for janky progressive) and I saw a thread somewhere around here about an Ultima Online server that seemed fairly populated. then there's P1999 / The Al Kabor Project for old EQ but if you're not in an EQ mood then don't do those

edit: just remembered my cousin was playing on a private SWG server last year, if that sounds interesting I can text him and ask for a link

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

sailormoon posted:

Are there any "good" MMO private servers for older games with a decent community and hopefully not pay to win?

Craving a grind, but burnt out on EQ and the modern trifecta. Let me know if I missed a thread or if there's some subreddit I can crawl too to find something.

City of Heroes Homecoming I definitely recommend. The grind is kind of different there. Leveling goes by fast if you're in groups, incarnates take a little longer but not by a lot. The real grind is influence (money) farming, badge collecting and alt-itis.

I'm just starting up on UO Outlands, not sure how good/bad the grind is going to be but I got the urge for some old school poo poo.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Ascension WoW is a good take on TBC, where you build your own class instead of whatever is going on there.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Freakazoid_ posted:

I'm just starting up on UO Outlands, not sure how good/bad the grind is going to be but I got the urge for some old school poo poo.

Outlands specifically allows macroing, so a third party program does the grind for you while you sleep. They’ve literally built zones in the server specifically for macroing.

The real grind in Outlands is for gold/rare drops.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

jokes posted:

Ascension WoW is a good take on TBC, where you build your own class instead of whatever is going on there.

Yeah this is what I was going to recommend: https://ascension.gg/

Also they do have a new server type that is currently in Alpha that has 21 prebuilt classes if the whole pick and choose traits is overwhelming.

https://ascension.gg/infographic

Sachant
Apr 27, 2011

PyRosflam posted:

Give me an open source Everquest engine or some other MMO engine to be used to build a new game off of. It would be a lot of fun and all kinds of modern tools don't support 200 people in a "zone" today.

I can dream.

FWIW the owner/main dev of EverCraft Online (h1ddentree) has talked a lot about his server architecture with diagrams and the like.

It's certainly a multi-year project but it does demonstrate that it's doable by one person or a small team. The trick is that this is really limited to something like EQ where the scope of interactions are limited (tab target auto attack combat with occasional spells), and the overall pace/tick rate is pretty slow. But there's still a lot you can do with that. I'd love to see an open source version of something like this, and I've toyed with the idea of trying to get something running.

I want an indie Anarchy Online re-take.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

sailormoon posted:

FFXI Nasomi is a well populated and long running private server with mostly-faithful 2005 era features and a few QOL things like level syncing. Back in 2018-early 19 when I was unemployed and living with my parents I played like 10 hours a day for three or four months straight and got a BRD to level 30 before burning out on the intense grindiness of FFXI, which was exacerbated by the server being so full of grognards it makes P99 look like Toon Town

Sachant
Apr 27, 2011

Frog Act posted:

the server being so full of grognards it makes P99 look like Toon Town
Somehow I get the feeling that anyone still playing Toon Town is probably as bad, or worse.

Hra Mormo
Mar 6, 2008

The Internet Man

kedo posted:

Outlands specifically allows macroing, so a third party program does the grind for you while you sleep. They’ve literally built zones in the server specifically for macroing.

The real grind in Outlands is for gold/rare drops.

It's like they almost cracked the code that stupid grinds are dumb and need to get the axe, but didn't quite finish the train of thought.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Hra Mormo posted:

It's like they almost cracked the code that stupid grinds are dumb and need to get the axe, but didn't quite finish the train of thought.

But if you don't have a hellacious grind for everything, then how will you feel like you earned it???

PyRosflam
Aug 11, 2007
The good, The bad, Im the one with the gun.

1stGear posted:

But if you don't have a hellacious grind for everything, then how will you feel like you earned it???

The obvious solution is to run a ranked PVP with a pyramid structure and only 1 slot at the top that gives OP gear. Make sure that each week you dont grind you fall behind and demand it take 13 weeks to get to the top.

Welcome to the worst grind ever :)

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

Zil posted:

Yeah this is what I was going to recommend: https://ascension.gg/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WtL4cqpYbeQ

The scaling dungeons sound pretty significant.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

I was blown away when I prestiged my character a few weeks ago, and realised that monsters would scale with you. Sadly, it's only for the 1-20 starter areas, and only up to level 20, but vanilla dungeons scale all the way to 60.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

poo poo im tempted to try that out.

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

A Shameful Path Led You Here
There’s definitely something cool brewing with that ascension thing. But I’ve had some real negative interactions with the people in there and I’m not certain it can withstand the issue of being filled to the brim with wow players.

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

A Shameful Path Led You Here
There will never be a good MMO ever again.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Rexicon1 posted:

There will never be a good MMO ever again.

This implies there was ever a good one.

I know I've made this joke before shut up

Sachant
Apr 27, 2011

Zil posted:

This implies there was ever a good one.

There was! It was [game I played when I was young that I associate with having no responsibilities]! Anyone who says otherwise is wrong!

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

I actually played P99 a lot more than I ever played EQ because back then I had to share a PC and had school and homework and stuff.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Sachant posted:

There was! It was [game I played when I was young that I associate with having no responsibilities]! Anyone who says otherwise is wrong!

Yeah it was Silkroad and uh, Conquer Online

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

The only good MMO that was ever going to exist was True Fantasy Live Online for the original xbox, but alas....

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

ive been playing ffxi with friends for the anniversary and while it could use more qol especially with inventory management it's nowhere near as obtuse as i thought itd be, at low levels at least it's the perfect level of chill to focus on a podcast or something. hell of a lot of travel time though, feels like going from A to B is 80% of the game

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

CYBEReris posted:

ive been playing ffxi with friends for the anniversary and while it could use more qol especially with inventory management it's nowhere near as obtuse as i thought itd be, at low levels at least it's the perfect level of chill to focus on a podcast or something. hell of a lot of travel time though, feels like going from A to B is 80% of the game

I’ve been saying this for years. New FFXI is one of the chillest times you can have in gaming and, straight up, there is just so much poo poo to do in it.

Proud graduate of the Andy Reid coaching clinic.
It’s for sure in my top 3 MMOs I’ve played in the last 5 years. It’s hella fun, cool zones, unique job roles, tons of knowledge to learn.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

I really wish I could get back into it, but Final Fantasy in general just no longer scratches any sort of itch for me. :(

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
god I haven't played 11 in a good decade but now I kinda want to. I don't remember any of my old info, maybe I should just start fresh and see how it feels

e: oh gently caress the ultimate edition is on sale for tenbux on steam

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I'd start fresh. You can level to 30 in like a few hours, so it's not like you'd really be missing anything. And besides it's fun to do it all over again.

The big thing that's annoying is the relic armor and the limit breaks and, like, the sub job items probably. But even then they're not bad.

Vinestalk
Jul 2, 2011

jokes posted:

I watched a couple videos on this and they came up with cool ideas. An ability draft style, where you're given three skills to choose from, that can make synergistic skills more likely to be drawn as you progress. A PvP focused version of that, with full loot drop and increased xp from player kills. Additional challenges "modes," that increase incoming damage or turn the game into an Ironman challenge. That dev team has gone above and beyond to extend the game or make it interesting in ways that are tough to replicate.

Just too bad I don't like the mechanics in WoW. Also, their open PvP formats run into the same problem every open PvP system runs into re: certain players find ways to drive new players away from sticking to the format.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

sexpig by night posted:

god I haven't played 11 in a good decade but now I kinda want to. I don't remember any of my old info, maybe I should just start fresh and see how it feels

e: oh gently caress the ultimate edition is on sale for tenbux on steam

I never played it before and it took a while to acclimatize to but I've been enjoying it a lot. i like how there's a significant self-directed element; you can activate a Records of Eminence quest at any time which can give you objectives like "deal x cumulative damage total" or "kill x of enemy y in area z" that give you exp and a currency you can turn in for good gear for your level, you can often knock a bunch of them off while doing other more specific quests.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Vinestalk posted:

Also, their open PvP formats run into the same problem every open PvP system runs into re: certain players find ways to drive new players away from sticking to the format.

You can freely swap between PvE, regular world PvP, and hardcore world PvP with item drops on death while in town.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

CYBEReris posted:

I never played it before and it took a while to acclimatize to but I've been enjoying it a lot. i like how there's a significant self-directed element; you can activate a Records of Eminence quest at any time which can give you objectives like "deal x cumulative damage total" or "kill x of enemy y in area z" that give you exp and a currency you can turn in for good gear for your level, you can often knock a bunch of them off while doing other more specific quests.

yea I just did the dang thing and after a little annoyance at PlayOnline I've made my old XI char again and just kinda ran around doing random poo poo and it felt really good.

Fuckin figures all this looking for a 'side game' for 14 and the answer was 'go back to 11 like you're in high school again'

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
I tried 11. Couldn't defeat playonline. I am no longer trying 11.

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

Here's hoping Tower of Fantasy flops. Seems like it's gearing up to be an mmo with......gacha classes. Goddamn I cannot imagine something worse

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Xun posted:

Here's hoping Tower of Fantasy flops. Seems like it's gearing up to be an mmo with......gacha classes. Goddamn I cannot imagine something worse

I mean yes gatcha games with unique pullable abilities are bad but Genshin Impact is the same and its one of the most popular MMOs on the market.

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

CuddleCryptid posted:

I mean yes gatcha games with unique pullable abilities are bad but Genshin Impact is the same and its one of the most popular MMOs on the market.

I wouldnt say Genshin Impact is an mmo at all unless you count like, dark souls as being an mmo? It's a single player game but you call in up to 3 friends to fight a boss together. Tower of Fantasy seems to be going more for the open world themepark mmo with dungeons/raids/etc but the classes are also pulled from a gacha.

kaesarsosei
Nov 7, 2012
Does anyone play MMOs on console? What are the best options for PS5?

I played a lot of various ones on PC over the years but quite fancy chilling on the sofa with one now and not sitting at the desk I work at 8 hours a day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

kaesarsosei posted:

Does anyone play MMOs on console? What are the best options for PS5?

I played a lot of various ones on PC over the years but quite fancy chilling on the sofa with one now and not sitting at the desk I work at 8 hours a day.

FFXIV, no contest. It takes a bit of getting used to the fancy controller work in order to play efficiently but it's perfectly serviceable and you can bounce between PC and controller as needed.