Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
Saw this yesterday and Dr Strange today.

This is definitely an all-time classic while Strange was just a better than average superhero flick

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
There’s a nice moment where Deidre says that the receipts tell a story about Evelyn’s life and that it doesn’t look good feeding into her fear that her life is meaningless

There’s even a black bagel scribbled into one of the receipts

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

Gaius Marius posted:

Have you ever been audited

Not rectally or scientologically, no.

BB2K posted:

Because the budget was $25 mil and it has to be set somewhere

I didn't love the movie but I have to say, it looks loving amazing for that budget. The effects felt way better than what you see in a marvel movie for a fraction of the cost

Maybe that's all it is. They didn't seem to pass up opportunities for jokes (or to make them repeatedly) but I could be looking too hard. Totally agreed on the movie looking amazing though, for any budget.

edit:

Mantis42 posted:

Taxes are a record of our decisions in numbers, Evelyn is metaphorically auditing her life while literally doing it in the IRS. Also it's a joke about the two constants in life.

This makes me wonder, does anyone actually die in this movie? I can’t remember anyone staying dead. So I guess taxes are the one constant in multiverse life.

edit2: I should spoiler tag better

pokeyman fucked around with this message at 03:33 on May 9, 2022

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Not enough ink has been spilled over Jamie Lee Curtis’s work here, she’s just an incredible physical comedian here, and she’s acts the bejeezus out of the alternate reality where she and Evelyn are lesbians

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

pokeyman posted:

This makes me wonder, does anyone actually die in this movie? I can't remember anyone staying dead. So I guess taxes are the one constant in multiverse life.

Off the top of my head, Alpha Waymond dies onscreen and it's stated almost everyone (save Kong Kong) including Alpha Evelyn is dead

The Saddest Rhino fucked around with this message at 06:32 on May 9, 2022

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Also, I think the guard who gets shot in the salsa outfit and the other one who gets turned into confetti are pretty dead

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

Bust Rodd posted:

Not enough ink has been spilled over Jamie Lee Curtis’s work here, she’s just an incredible physical comedian here, and she’s acts the bejeezus out of the alternate reality where she and Evelyn are lesbians

The acting was incredible.

The Saddest Rhino posted:

Off the top of my head, Alpha Waymond dies onscreen and it's stated almost everyone (save Kong Kong) including Alpha Evelyn is dead

Arist posted:

Also, I think the guard who gets shot in the salsa outfit and the other one who gets turned into confetti are pretty dead

Right, good call with Alpha Waymond, that's pretty unambiguous. I wasn't counting the offscreen ones and the confetti because I dunno, seemed wacky and maybe they can be reassembled just as wackily or something.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

pokeyman posted:

Why was so much of this set in an IRS office? I feel like I'm missing a very obvious joke.

It's a p cheap set. Probably less expensive than the laundromat shots. Good commercial office space to do a lot of dumb poo poo bottled in with the two floor lobby, buncha closets and open air species that is meant to look enclosed. Just put all the equipment in the cubical that isn't gonna be on the shot. Super duper easy and freeing from a set decoration perspective.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

pokeyman posted:

The acting was incredible.

Right, good call with Alpha Waymond, that's pretty unambiguous. I wasn't counting the offscreen ones and the confetti because I dunno, seemed wacky and maybe they can be reassembled just as wackily or something.

The wacky kung fu action universe seems like a dead end. Anyone who dies there after Evelyn punches Diedre is basically a joke.

Alphaverse fight was real and serious, tho. Including the assistants who died in the van.

On an unrelated note, I love all of Jodu's outfits.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Never heard of Stephanie Hsu before, but what a discovery. Even if its not for the same reason, everyone clearly understands the feeling of being emotionally devastated by a parent that she’s portraying

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Steve Yun posted:

Never heard of Stephanie Hsu before, but what a discovery. Even if its not for the same reason, everyone clearly understands the feeling of being emotionally devastated by a parent that she’s portraying

She's in Fabulous Ms. Maisel.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

checkplease posted:

Why no nickname for Swiss army man

Punkin Spunkin posted:

I think the daniels are pretty solid.
Rednecks Will gently caress Anything > Farts and Boners Man> This Reddit-rear end Spider-Man

BiggestBatman
Aug 23, 2018
They're good but nothing they've done since has been as good as Pockets

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Bust Rodd posted:

For some reason the scene where she shows Evelyn how to vape and mentions that she drove a Kia into her ex's office windows really stuck with me. Really nailed the mix of being a hardass and showing some sympathy.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose

Perfect.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
drat I’m not one to refer to someone as radiant but is anyone on earth lovelier than Michele Yeoh this year?

https://twitter.com/thecut/status/1521266965276504064?s=21&t=8KcIyeRixqTxv5YDkzmGsQ

sullat
Jan 9, 2012
As a practicing tax collector I really liked that part of the movie. It's nice to see tax collecting being portrayed so positively. That being said, there are a few minor quibbles:

1. Auditors don't go out and collect. Also there wouldn't be a lien until after the audit has finished.
2. The IRS doesn't give out awards to employees for auditing, it's directly forbidden.
3. I have never ever seen bagels with cream cheese being offered in a meeting.

Although I do have to say, Senior Executive Service (the top level of management) absolutely do have sex dungeons in their offices.

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.
A very illuminating post. Sorry about the bagel situation.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
https://twitter.com/dunkwun/status/1525119600932757504?s=21&t=0JvoA6xCPtfVnLr8fW7pOA

Apparently one of their first commercials.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose

sullat posted:

As a practicing tax collector I really liked that part of the movie. It's nice to see tax collecting being portrayed so positively. That being said, there are a few minor quibbles:

1. Auditors don't go out and collect. Also there wouldn't be a lien until after the audit has finished.
2. The IRS doesn't give out awards to employees for auditing, it's directly forbidden.

Although I do have to say, Senior Executive Service (the top level of management) absolutely do have sex dungeons in their offices.

Now I am curious what other tax collector movies are out there.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

checkplease posted:

Now I am curious what other tax collector movies are out there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yBhUWv5Hzqc

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
True, that has tax collector right in the title. Though I guess its more about cool gang war battles than office auditing.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

That's the part of the job they never tell you about.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
Looking like this is going to become A24s biggest film by next weekend. The Daniels got a bigger budget for this one based on success of Uncut Gems and Midsommar and such. So will be cool to see what other films get a larger share at A24 next.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

They're probably better served by keeping the purse strings tight. Don't fall into the same trap the studios have over and over again

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
That’s true. They’ve done well with small films up this point. No reason to overspend now.

teacup
Dec 20, 2006

= M I L K E R S =
When is this out on digital? I saw it at theatres but am desperate to watch it again. Google seems to give me about 500 different dates which it could be :/

Gaius Marius posted:

They're probably better served by keeping the purse strings tight. Don't fall into the same trap the studios have over and over again

Agreed, although having some flexibility isn't the worst in the world, I think the inventiveness of this film would be lost if it was all as epic or CGI laden as like a marvel film etc.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Dunno about streaming but the Blu-ray is June 14

Ancillary Character
Jul 25, 2007
Going about life as if I were a third-tier ancillary character

teacup posted:

When is this out on digital? I saw it at theatres but am desperate to watch it again. Google seems to give me about 500 different dates which it could be :/

Agreed, although having some flexibility isn't the worst in the world, I think the inventiveness of this film would be lost if it was all as epic or CGI laden as like a marvel film etc.

I think most sites had it out for On Demand today (5/17), but that has most likely changed given that it's still doing fairly consistent numbers at theaters.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose

sullat posted:

I watched Juzo Itamis Taxing Woman last night. It’s about a Tokyo tax officer and her auditing businesses and Yakuza and making people report income properly. Check it out if you haven’t seen it.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

I can't believe how this movie managed to maintain this absurdity and vulgarity without it ever undermining the emotional power. Often doing the two simultaneously, such as using the awful sausage finger universe to actually hammer home an emotional point.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
The “floppy dicks out with butt plugs sticking out of my rear end” kung fu fight is maybe the single silliest thing I’ve ever seen in a movie theater. Really struggling to come up with anything that even comes close.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
From high on cinema

quote:

The film is actually set for digital streaming on June 7, 2022. and on Blu-ray, DVD, and ultra HD Blu-ray on June 14, 2022 by Lionsgate Home Entertainment. But its currently available on Amazon Prime HD video and itunes for video on Demand/pay per view

Get hype

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
Definitely going to pick up the physical release.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

checkplease posted:

Definitely going to pick up the physical release.

I'm torn; a whole extra week??? But yeah, feels like it's worth getting. Do they do the bundled "get it digitally too along with the physical!" thing?

Kill All Cops
Apr 11, 2007

Pacheco de Chocobo

Hell Gem

Bust Rodd posted:

The “floppy dicks out with butt plugs sticking out of my rear end” kung fu fight is maybe the single silliest thing I’ve ever seen in a movie theater. Really struggling to come up with anything that even comes close.

The Martial Club behind the scenes vid with Stephanie Hsu and Brian Le training with double dildo nunchucks was hilarious

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

sullat posted:

I mean, those rules might be true in *our* universe. But who says that the primary timeline is in ours?

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Maybe Deirdre is just so good at auditing that they broke the rules and gave her an award three times.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Don't know if it was posted
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=790BfploRaA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

SirSamVimes posted:

Maybe Deirdre is just so good at auditing that they broke the rules and gave her an award three times.

Or maybe she just got them as joke gifts from a friend or for herself