Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?

tpink posted:

I’m catching up on this thread because there’s been so much insanity, and I am just losing it at this tweet. Jfc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

sold all my BTC since i think it is actually gonna dip hard and same with the rest of the market (maybe? dont listen to me)

managed to pull it from nice hash -> coin base -> pay pal -> bank account and should see it in my actual bank account tomorrow

i think the whole market is hosed but im not gonna be caught holding BTC right now

numberoneposter fucked around with this message at 11:50 on May 19, 2022

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

The lack of self awareness is amazing.

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

the corpse of god is love.

A girl I went to high school with, who is now apparently a stone cold lunatic MAGA antivaxxxer down in Florida just lost $150,000 in "stable" coin.

quote:

Last week we lost $150,000 when UST stablecoin crashed. It was all of our savings, put into a (supposedly) low risk crypto platform as an alternative to keeping it in the bank. We weren’t investing, speculating, day trading, or gambling. Just storing our money in a stablecoin.

UST didn’t just just crash, it died — losing 85% of its value in less than two days. Holders of the TerraUSD coin and a linked token, luna, collectively lost around $42 billion in the last week…

So I suppose it’s some consolation that we are not alone in this inconceivable loss. This week UST traders are sharing lists of suicide hotlines, as regular folks just like us, who had poured their savings into Luna or TerraUSD, cannot conceive of how to move past this financial ruin.

There’s a lot to say about this and I’m not quite sure where to start. For one, there’s a lot of spiritual growth on offer. A beautiful reminder that money is just money; that money is only one energetic frequency of abundance and that we are blessed to be able to trade in many other frequencies; that money is never really ours to begin with — that, like all blessings, it comes from God and is only one tool among others; that perhaps we should have bought that land, or that RV, or that truck when we had the chance…. My frugality and conservative spending seems absurd now.

There’s a lot of opportunity to work on equanimity and letting go of desired outcomes and practicing distress tolerance and actualizing radical acceptance. There’s a lot of opportunity to be reminded that “good” and “bad” are just constructs, and that the only true reality “is.”

There’s soul-level rectification and repair (in Hebrew we say “tikkun”). Life lessons cannot be learned without discomfort.

But mostly, this isn’t my shell shock. Our years of 3 kids in simultaneous severe PANS flares was my phoenix rising. Losing all the money we have saved together over the last 20 years is [name removed] nightmare-come-true, and I have to say, he’s really winning at losing ❤️‍🩹. One breath at a time. One step at a time. One moment at a time. (So much gratitude for the year we put ourselves through dialectical behavior therapy — who knew it would come in so handy.)

I share most of our life — the painful as often as the joyful — very openly on this platform so that no one feels alone in being human. None of us lives a perfect, problem-free, charmed life, but sometimes it can seem that way when social media only shows us the shiny surface and window dressing.

I feel an accountability to keeping it real (Y’all know I refused to wear a mask long before that was even a thing ✌🏽) and also an appreciation to be able to release this heaviness among my Facebook community. Thank you for creating the vessel.

**Look at those faces below! You’d never know one of them was grieving big time. It’s always a reminder to me — don’t judge people! You have no idea what’s going on in their lives.**

"We weren't investing!!!" loving lmao

haljordan fucked around with this message at 12:50 on May 19, 2022

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

numberoneposter posted:

sold all my BTC since i think it is actually gonna dip hard and same with the rest of the market (maybe? dont listen to me)

managed to pull it from nice hash -> coin base -> pay pal -> bank account and should see it in my actual bank account tomorrow

i think the whole market is hosed but im not gonna be caught holding BTC right now

YNGMI! :sad:

haljordan posted:

A girl I went to high school with, who is now apparently a stone cold lunatic MAGA antivaxxxer down in Florida just lost $150,000 in "stable" coin.

Bitcoin: he’s really winning at losing

hotdog feet
Nov 3, 2005
"not investing in stable coin, just transferring all our savings to a volatile crypto so, when we need it, we're at the mercy of the market and conversion because we hate banks because you know why"

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

haljordan posted:

Lol what a loser

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

But it said STABLEcoin! How could this happen!?!?!

Call Your Grandma
Jan 17, 2010

haljordan posted:

so he definitely put it into luna and lied to her. there's no way anyone could exchange all their dollars into virtual IOUs for that many dollars or less.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Why the gently caress would you store your money in a "stablecoin" even as a crypto true believer, wasn't the point meant to be that the value wouldn't change so you were best case putting it into a 0% savings account?

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

God I’m just thinking what I could do with a hundred and fifty thousand dollars to actually support and provide for my family as opposed to “sticking it to the banks” in the most futile of futile gestures.

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

Senor Tron posted:

Why the gently caress would you store your money in a "stablecoin" even as a crypto true believer, wasn't the point meant to be that the value wouldn't change so you were best case putting it into a 0% savings account?

Again, stone cold lunatic.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
I have a hard time believing people who stashed their money in UST also had the discipline to save 150k for 20 years.

icecastle
Jun 9, 2008

Senor Tron posted:

Because if you loaned them the UST they promised a 20% APR. Somehow people didn't think this was a ponzi

Vesi
Jan 12, 2005

pikachu looking at?

Senor Tron posted:

the funds in a (((bank))) could easily be seized by fema when the race war starts

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?
*wastes life savings on magic beans*

That's ok, what even is money anyways? Makes you think. Just keeping it real here.

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

Vesi posted:

the funds in a (((bank))) could easily be seized by fema when the race war starts

This girl is actually Jewish lol

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?

icecastle posted:

Because if you loaned them the UST they promised a 20% APR. Somehow people didn't think this was a ponzi

Yeah that line about how they weren't "investing or speculating," is bullshit. They're trying to make themselves look like innocent victims, but the reality is they were being greedy as hell chasing returns that even Bernie Madoff wouldn't promise.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

haljordan posted:

This girl is actually Jewish lol

So is Laura Loomer

Durzel
Nov 15, 2005

haljordan posted:

Why did she put it in that stablecoin in the first place? The whole point of a stablecoin is that it just tracks the dollar. Oh yeah, it was to make that sweet, sweet ~20% APY on Anchor Protocol and not to question the viability or sustainability of that in any way.

A beautiful reminder that money is just money, but blind greed is eternal.

Senor Tron posted:

They almost certainly deposited their UST on something called "Anchor Protocol", which offers crazy, consistent double digit APYs and all it asks is that you don't ask any difficult questions like "how is this sustainable?" and "where are the funds coming from to pay that APY?", etc.

Durzel fucked around with this message at 13:48 on May 19, 2022

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
Personally this is my favorite part and it's not even about bitcoin:

quote:

3 kids in simultaneous severe PANS flares

PANS: an autoimmune / neuropsychiatric condition in children generally thought to be linked to infections. Your kid gets sick from something mild like strep throat and then has major mood changes, development regression, OCD, food restriction, or anxiety. Gosh, that sounds terrible! Something affecting my family like that would certainly give me reason to think about the dangers of communicable diseases, and how even if I wasn't incapacitated by sickness I could be putting others in danger...

quote:

Y’all know I refused to wear a mask long before that was even a thing ✌🏽

:negative:

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

haljordan posted:

beautiful, chefs kiss.

I just checked in on GPU prices/availability, and while it's still overpriced, they are much more available new. Which I'm certain is an indicator that crypto is dying.

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

Klyith posted:

Personally this is my favorite part and it's not even about bitcoin:

PANS: an autoimmune / neuropsychiatric condition in children generally thought to be linked to infections. Your kid gets sick from something mild like strep throat and then has major mood changes, development regression, OCD, food restriction, or anxiety. Gosh, that sounds terrible! Something affecting my family like that would certainly give me reason to think about the dangers of communicable diseases, and how even if I wasn't incapacitated by sickness I could be putting others in danger...

:negative:

Yeah they should probably take those kids away

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

LifeSunDeath posted:

I just checked in on GPU prices/availability, and while it's still overpriced, they are much more available new. Which I'm certain is an indicator that crypto is dying.
Keep in mind that GPUs are still going to be constrained to some extent due to the Ukraine War affecting accessibility/price of raw resources like Neon and Palladium.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Went to a bar last night with coworkers and there was a bitcoin meetup and let me tell you even Japan bitcoiners are the same goddamn leeches they are everywhere else

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

haljordan posted:

lemme guess

she's into MLM poo poo too

hseroK divaD
Jun 3, 2011

Creepy Richard will keep leering at you NON-STOP!

smellmycheese posted:

I don’t think these have been mentioned yet. Some absolutely incredible Trump NFTs here…

https://opensea.io/collection/mcniftytrump

Nice Cock!

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

The Kins posted:

Keep in mind that GPUs are still going to be constrained to some extent due to the Ukraine War affecting accessibility/price of raw resources like Neon and Palladium.

While this is true, I have a lot of questions about how much the neon shortage will really impact chip manufacturers. Who else is buying and using neon? What percentage of the supply is used by chip manufacturers? Is it not possible to expand the extraction operations that exist outside of Ukraine? Like, if it's just a bunch of rinky-dink neon sign makers and then TSMC, Samsung, and Intel as buyers of neon, then I feel like the latter three will be able to outbid the other customers, or even bribe their way to the top if necessary. I doubt that half of the supply going away will mean half as many GPUs. And honestly, the major chipmakers should get first dibs. Something tells me that ensuring the supply of microchips is more vital to the world economy than the supply of neon signs.

Same thing goes for Palladium, though there, the chipmakers will be competing with the automotive industry. Good luck with that. At least the supply seems more diverse?

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
I've heard the market for neon and such is very opaque so not many people actually know the answers to those questions. My understanding was that places had stockpiles for so many months but after that is a bit unknown.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

While this is true, I have a lot of questions about how much the neon shortage will really impact chip manufacturers. Who else is buying and using neon? What percentage of the supply is used by chip manufacturers? Is it not possible to expand the extraction operations that exist outside of Ukraine? Like, if it's just a bunch of rinky-dink neon sign makers and then TSMC, Samsung, and Intel as buyers of neon, then I feel like the latter three will be able to outbid the other customers, or even bribe their way to the top if necessary. I doubt that half of the supply going away will mean half as many GPUs. And honestly, the major chipmakers should get first dibs. Something tells me that ensuring the supply of microchips is more vital to the world economy than the supply of neon signs.

Same thing goes for Palladium, though there, the chipmakers will be competing with the automotive industry. Good luck with that. At least the supply seems more diverse?

amazing take in the second year of waves of industry-crushing shortages of, like, fuckin' wood, the poo poo that literally grows on trees

Tormented
Jan 22, 2004

"And the goat shall bear upon itself all their iniquities unto a solitary place..."

LifeSunDeath posted:

beautiful, chefs kiss.

I have a friend that told me his brother just setup a Bitcoin mining operation in Florida over the last couple of weeks.

I was like, "Aren't you two sort of late to the party?"

He was like, "Na man, the GPU prices are cheap now. Its the best time to get into Bitcoin"

I told him that people knew the gold rush was over when the shovels got cheap as the smart money was already cashing out.

He is still not happy with me.

Tormented fucked around with this message at 16:12 on May 19, 2022

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

Florida used to have this nutjob tax collector who had his guys running around with guns and badges for no good reason. He also started a fire in city hall when the crypto mining rig he purchased illegally burst into flames.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

amazing take in the second year of waves of industry-crushing shortages of, like, fuckin' wood, the poo poo that literally grows on trees

wait until you see my second take: nvidia and amd won't need to make as many gpus once people stop mining anyway, so these shortages probably won't be a big deal either way

for gpus at least. you may be hosed if you want anything else lol

Wayback
Aug 16, 2004

I'm made of metal
My circuits gleam
I am perpetual
I keep the country clean

EoinCannon posted:

I'm working on an nft collection at the moment with crocodiles, minotaurs and hydras.
It was not my choice to work on this, my studio took the job to do the artwork and code from the nft guy.
It's as fun to work on as you think it might be

Waiting on hyenas, catfish, and vulture NFTs to really be on brand

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Mozi posted:

I've heard the market for neon and such is very opaque so not many people actually know the answers to those questions. My understanding was that places had stockpiles for so many months but after that is a bit unknown.

It is very opaque but the Ukrainian factories produced about half of the global supply. Some of them can be restarted relatively quickly, but one of the big ones was in Mariupol, and that's not coming back online any time soon.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Can't wait for all the movie punchlines next year 'I lost all my money on pictures of apes'.

"what does your son do?"
"well he... mostly works with apes"
"ohhhh! at the zoo, then?"
"no, mostly pictures of apes"
"a photographer then! very nice!"
"ehhhhh... more like... cartoons of apes..."
"...oh..... OHHHHH dear"

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Is crypto dead yet?

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

ultrafilter posted:

It is very opaque but the Ukrainian factories produced about half of the global supply. Some of them can be restarted relatively quickly, but one of the big ones was in Mariupol, and that's not coming back online any time soon.

Yeah the place the Russians just spent a couple of weeks pounding and assaulting was like 25% of the global supply :laffo:

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Mozi posted:

From what I remember from my IC manufacturing courses, neon isn't used in every process. And since it's used to keep a neutral environment, it's potentially possible to substitute another noble gas. But I'm sure there's weird complications there that mean you can't just swap out the neon bottle for an argon bottle.

Basically, it'll effect some things but not others and they might be able to bring other methods online without neon but they can't just flip a switch to do it. So, yeah, kind of opaque unless you're actually engineering those lines.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HolHorsejob
Mar 14, 2020

Portrait of Cheems II of Spain by Jabona Neftman, olo pint on fird

Lawman 0 posted:

Is crypto dead yet?

Bitcoin: WANGMI