Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
Well he is one of the ones you're directed to talk to on the fascist vision quest so I think he's at least adjacent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008
i dont care how much probation i get capital letters are for squares hehe im so laid back an nice please read my low effort shitposts about the arab spring

thanxs!!!

christmas boots posted:

I've made Tequila break down over less.

Extremely unfair to compare both games on that front - crying mechanics have become infinitely more advanced in the last few decades.

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

christmas boots posted:

It's interesting because of all the fascist characters it feels like it's only Measurehead the game loves (and even then only a little bit)

Measurehead is the natural end result of fascist beliefs (or, at least, what they claim to believe), the PINNACLE as he likes to say, and he's still a completely absurd buffoon. I'm sure he was a delight to write.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

I still think one of the most random instances of dialogue I got was Kim commenting on Harry running around for hours through the city missing one of his shoes and Harry telling him that its his penance.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.

Cao Ni Ma posted:

I still think one of the most random instances of dialogue I got was Kim commenting on Harry running around for hours through the city missing one of his shoes and Harry telling him that its his penance.

Seems like your green snakeskin shoe is missing its partner. You should find it before you go venturing into the wild unknown. Two shoes are better than one.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Cpt_Obvious posted:

Is measurehead a fascist? Sure, he believes in strict genetic hierarchies which places himself on the top, but what does that count for? Do his personal beliefs even matter? While he bitches and moans about the evil ham sandwiches, he serves the union as a guard against capital. Are politics the things one thinks, or the things one does?
I think Measurehead is treated with more dignity than the others because while he is racist, he is a different kind of racist; he has reasoned himself into something completely absurd and arbitrary and self serving, but the valence is different than it is for all the other racists we encounter in the game.

I think part of what makes the game complex and rewarding is the number and depth of fully realized - or at least, "more realized than is typical" - characters. You get the feeling of Joyce as a person who holds a worldview, and you can perceive why, vs. the Sunday Friend, who (at least from the perspective of Raphael Ambrosius) is simply an alien intruder. If we were playing as the balcony smoker, perhaps our outlook would be completely different. (Though maybe not in the Sunday Friend's case, exactly.)

Considering things further, the game generally treats idealism itself as something sympathetic, irrespective of what the ideals themselves are.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Cpt_Obvious posted:

Is measurehead a fascist? Sure, he believes in strict genetic hierarchies which places himself on the top, but what does that count for? Do his personal beliefs even matter? While he bitches and moans about the evil ham sandwiches, he serves the union as a guard against capital. Are politics the things one thinks, or the things one does?

it's a game entirely about what a guy thinks; the only way he doesn't end the story as a cop regardless is if he fucks up picking up a tie and ends it as a corpse

it doesn't matter what Measurehead thinks, not because of any general theory that ideology is meaningless, but because the disconnect between his desires and his actual position in society means he'll never be a real threat. He's unacceptable to other reactionaries and has theorized his way into a corner where he will never be of much use to any kind of fascist power structure, all his hot air sounds like a manifesto but since it cannot be put into practice signifies about as much as any other union rando's alcoholism.

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 01:37 on May 19, 2022

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Cpt_Obvious posted:

He happens to be in a society and a situation where the people he's racist against (read: everyone) are difficult for him to oppress at a systemic level and his monopoly on violence is derived from Evrart and the union. Measurehead is OBVIOUSLY a fascist and asking otherwise is ridiculous. Given the opportunity which he will never ever get he'd turn Martinaise / the union / at least its security services into a Semenese supremacist organization, and the fact that he's a fascist party composed of precisely one very large man doesn't change that.

nomadotto
Oct 25, 2010

Body of a Penguin
Soul of a Hero
Mind of a Lazy, Easily Distracted, Waste of Space

christmas boots posted:

It's interesting because of all the fascist characters it feels like it's only Measurehead the game loves (and even then only a little bit)

I feel like René gets a lot of love. Gaston hates him, but shows him a lot of tenderness at the same time, and his courage, honor, and steadfastness are never questioned (at least in my playthroughs).

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule
I think the game considers Measurehead and Rene somewhat amusing -- the former is completely absurd, the latter is so obviously a relic that he fills the harmless crank role. Someone like the Sunday Friend, on the other hand, is actively harmful in his position of power, while the Racist Lorry Driver is a miserable, smug black hole. Like he and Measurehead are both fascists but with Measurehead it's like, OK, he believes in his superiority because he's a huge buff dude. The Lorry Driver is a ... ham sandwich.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Measurehead makes me think of Yukio Mishima, a fascist who followed his beliefs to their logical endpoint and actually embodied them (and then disembodied them)

That kind of character will always be a thousand times more interesting than the ham sandwich alternative that is the vast majority of sad little poo poo trolls online

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Disemboweled them more like

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.
Also, Measurehead has delusions of some manner of Grand Race War, where everybody lines up in two rows along the great plains of the Perikarnassian, then charge at each other, waving banners or something. It's never going to happen.

The Lorry Driver fantasizes about curbstomping *those* people to death with his custom boots when he thinks he'll get away with it during civil unrest.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Measurehead said he'd build a museum to me, that's a real good pal right there

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Gaius Marius posted:

Disemboweled them more like

Yes

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
So I finished. That was one hell of a ride and I'm anxious to see just how different different is when I attack another playthrough. But I went through it so quickly in the last few days, I think I need to hang it up for a while so it feels fresher when i go back in. The necktie never talked to me so I know I have that to look forward to at least!

Also, I made the Whirling-in-Rags theme my morning alarm and I don't even hate it yet. What a great soundtrack.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Aoi posted:

Also, Measurehead has delusions of some manner of Grand Race War, where everybody lines up in two rows along the great plains of the Perikarnassian, then charge at each other, waving banners or something. It's never going to happen.

The Lorry Driver fantasizes about curbstomping *those* people to death with his custom boots when he thinks he'll get away with it during civil unrest.

:agreed:

Gary and the racist lorry driver are loathsome where Measurehead is just a buffoon because those two are opportunistic hyenas who'll find each other, get the courage of the mob, and really hurt someone some day, and there's real evil power structures out there to see to it that they do. Measurehead meanwhile is off crowning himself king of his craniometric castle in the sky, a foil to the equally delusional communist colonial militiaman.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

measurehead isn't completely absurd; he has made positive changes in his life, and gained the adulation of several people. he's got charisma!

it is tragic and clownish, of course

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

nomadotto posted:

I feel like René gets a lot of love. Gaston hates him, but shows him a lot of tenderness at the same time, and his courage, honor, and steadfastness are never questioned (at least in my playthroughs).

I actually forgot about Rene completely

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Propaganda Machine posted:

Also, I made the Whirling-in-Rags theme my morning alarm and I don't even hate it yet. What a great soundtrack.

I also did this, pro move

Pulcinella
Feb 15, 2019
The Collectors Edition is finally starting to ship (after being announced about a year and a half ago).
https://mobile.twitter.com/iam8bit/status/1526291430049734657

The box looks like more of a shoebox and the statue looks shittier than the one pictured way back in the original announcement (and it’s definitely not hand painted). I will be glad to have a physical copy of the art book, though I hope the images in it are in a higher resolution than the digital version.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

Doc Hawkins posted:

measurehead isn't completely absurd; he has made positive changes in his life, and gained the adulation of several people. he's got charisma!

it is tragic and clownish, of course

right like, the bizarre form of fascism Measurehead believes in seems to be working out, at least in the short-term, for Measurehead

Pattonesque fucked around with this message at 07:05 on May 19, 2022

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
Not sure if this was shared before, but here's a video of Kurvtiz talking about making the game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9X0-W5erEXw

Caufman
May 7, 2007
Measurehead is just fun to interact with, whether that's by having Harry spinkick him in the face or becoming his race pupil and retaining semen together. I look forward to every encounter with Measurehead. Rene's bitterness is a bummer to be around, and Gary is mostly just annoying. The racist lorry driver is disgusting, but setting Half Light loose on him is exhilarating, and one of that skill's best checks.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Another angle on the Measurehead; He has great personal qualities - he is intelligent, charismatic, and physically strong. He has the whole package. He could organize all these little shits out there into a whole party, whether communard or Nazi. The thing is, of course, he is Semenese and has black skin, so there is a real (though artificial) gulf between him and the racist lorry drivers.

Harry is a cataclysmic fuckup who manages to be divorced on a cosmic level; and yet he is able to reach out across all these synthetic boundaries and demand money from understand all of the people, including the racial boundary that divides him and Kim. Now of course if you choose to be a fascist rear end in a top hat the entire burden of solving the case rests on Kim's shoulders, but that is an option the player may choose, as opposed to an established certainty of the story.

e: and to be fair, Harry happens to have white skin, putting him in the higher seat from which this option is more real and more accessible. We can infer that Measurehead built up his ideology from bits and pieces and sheer determination, while Harry had a ton of options available to even he, a fuckup; he could even have an actual art degree.

Nessus fucked around with this message at 07:52 on May 19, 2022

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

The best bit about Measurehead is him admitting that he's only ever heard about the Semenese Islands on the radio.

Ok maybe not the best, but it is a highlight.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Measurehead is someone who wants to change the world and Disco Elysium has a smidgin of respect for any character who actually believes in something and wants to implement those beliefs. I think Measurehead is the only fascist in the game who is driven by the desire to actually build something rather than by nihilistic impotent rage, which is why he gets slightly different treatement.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

:agreed:

Gary and the racist lorry driver are loathsome where Measurehead is just a buffoon because those two are opportunistic hyenas who'll find each other, get the courage of the mob, and really hurt someone some day, and there's real evil power structures out there to see to it that they do. Measurehead meanwhile is off crowning himself king of his craniometric castle in the sky, a foil to the equally delusional communist colonial militiaman.

a solid take i wish i'd been able to articulate

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

christmas boots posted:

I actually forgot about Rene completely

much like history, har har har

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Probably worth noting that the Racist Lorry Driver, in spite of being one of the first characters you can interact with and who has a pretty substantial amount of dialog, is never given a proper name, because he's devoid of anything other than being a racist piece of poo poo, and a lorry driver

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

GreyjoyBastard posted:

much like history, har har har

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica
Gaston does NOT hate Rene

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Heath posted:

Probably worth noting that the Racist Lorry Driver, in spite of being one of the first characters you can interact with and who has a pretty substantial amount of dialog, is never given a proper name, because he's devoid of anything other than being a racist piece of poo poo, and a lorry driver

Hey, he's not *just* a racist. He's read books!

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

When I think of Rene I also think of Gaston, and when I think of Gaston I automatically think about the sandwich that defeated me every time. One day, sandwich......one day

Diogenes of Sinope
Jul 10, 2008
Returning Rene's picture to Gaston is the moment that really crystallizes their relationship. And it's one of the (many) moments that gut-punches me throughout the game.

Killed a Girl in 96
Jun 15, 2001

DON'T STOP CAN'T STOP
I had a different take about Measurehead. He's naive about what his racist end-goals could achieve, but what makes him more of a threat versus Gary and the racist Lorry driver is that Measurehead is educated and well-spoken. No one would listen to a fat Lorry driver who waggles his chin at immigrants, or a sniveling cryptofascist who doesn't even have the spine to admit his own beliefs. But a charismatic racist who specializes in one specific pseudoscientific claim and excels at debating it is a real danger to an already fractured society. A leader who helps others justify hate is the last thing Revachol needs before an impending communist revolution.

Evrart is smart to keep him in servitude of the Union, as it undermines Measurehead's claim to be at the top of the ethnic chain while serving his supposed inferior race.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

he demonstrably isn't getting listened to tho. Like, even his girls don't take him seriously, no matter how well-spoken or charismatic or personally powerful he may be. The lorry driver isn't a born leader but he's clearly used to his garbage being positively received by like-minded bigots; there's a whole industry and market for Gary's loving mugs.

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 20:05 on May 19, 2022

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

Epic High Five posted:

When I think of Rene I also think of Gaston, and when I think of Gaston I automatically think about the sandwich that defeated me every time. One day, sandwich......one day

I’ve never pursued the ultimate sandwich plot line to its natural conclusion since whenever Gaston asks if I can make the sandwich I tell him that no one can and stare off into the horizon

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

IMO The problem with Measurehead's goal is that there's nobody to recruit. You're not going to convince the honkeys that you're racially superior to them, so his only access to power is through the union. As long as he acts on behalf of the union, his impotent race science really has no impact on anything which is why he has the red and white union colors in his profile similar to titus

Measureheads union flag is all kinds of hosed up, but it's there. The blue and white of his fascist ideology is there too, but ultimately overshadowed by his union loyalties. Meanwhile, gary gets that fancy fascist halo:

The same halo that harry gets after the fascist vision quest:

It's an interesting artistic choice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.
Measurehead is a minority racist. He wants to be a fascist, but the real fascists won't let him join because he is a minority.
That is a group that is easy to make fun off, because they are unable to enact their hate in a meaningful way without the majorities support. But, if he ever got his own ethnostate where he actually got to oppress someone, he would no longer be funny.