Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

The answer is crazy frog

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Mmm much better

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.
LMAO at the Dr. Who answer.

I would guess it would be some song that was a worldwide club hit that also got mainstream radio play. Something like Blue (Da Ba Dee) or Gangnam Style (I have no idea if these songs were actually worldwide club hits).

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Hyperlynx posted:

Seriously, I bet more people know the Doctor Who theme than Sandstorm or anything by Daft Punk, by at least an order of magnitude.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qsRuhCflRyg

The thing about this is that you're probably only going to be exposed to it if you're intentionally looking for Doctor Who, or around people who are watching Doctor Who. You don't just randomly hear it. 'Get Lucky', on the other hand, got fairly significant radio play, so you never had to seek it out to hear it. I heard it randomly all the time, despite never once seeking it out.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
The answer is probably some bullshit Moby song that was in a Gap ad

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Huh. I genuinely had no idea Doctor Who wasn't completely universal. And I've never even watched it myself. I just thought it permeated pop culture, like other long-running sci fi shows :shrug:

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Doctor Who has a vocal internet fanbase but offline it's unheard of.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

ultrafilter posted:

Doctor Who has a vocal internet fanbase but offline it's unheard of.

No kidding! Huh. I guess I just coincidentally interacted with enough fans in real life, then. The last girl I dated even had a Doctor Who tattoo.

Maybe it's more popular in Australia?

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It could be more popular in Australia, or it could be more popular among the people you know just because of shared hobbies and interests.

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre
This is my go to whenever I hear about well known electronic, but I don't know if it counts:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K5G1FmU-ldg

My personal one would be Temple of Dreams - Messiah which I must have heard as I was falling asleep while the radio played every night so ended up being permanent part of my brain make up at this point and I was humming it without knowing what it was and finally was able to put it together with various google searches.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Khizan posted:

The thing about this is that you're probably only going to be exposed to it if you're intentionally looking for Doctor Who, or around people who are watching Doctor Who. You don't just randomly hear it. 'Get Lucky', on the other hand, got fairly significant radio play, so you never had to seek it out to hear it. I heard it randomly all the time, despite never once seeking it out.

Or listened to KMDFM. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DsAVx0u9Cw4

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

This is lacking those random moments where the song suddenly gets really quiet as if someone is picking up the phone and getting your hopes up that you're getting close to finishing the call.

Tad Naff
Jul 8, 2004

I told you you'd be sorry buying an emoticon, but no, you were hung over. Well look at you now. It's not catching on at all!
:backtowork:
If you're old as balls like yours truly, you might remember "Doctorin' the Tardis" which was pretty popular at the time (1988).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DsAVx0u9Cw4
They played it all the time at my university's pub (in Canada) so the reach of Dr Who maybe extends further than the most turbonerd Brits.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.
I'm 38 and for the last eight years I've never met a single person who knew less about Doctor Who than I. And I've seen a couple episodes and uh, you know. I know what a Dalek is.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

credburn posted:

I'm 38 and for the last eight years I've never met a single person who knew less about Doctor Who than I. And I've seen a couple episodes and uh, you know. I know what a Dalek is.

Describe the Cybermen.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.

Platystemon posted:

Describe the Cybermen.

Those guys that surrounded the White House in that one episode. They're like robots that look alike, I think. There's a lot of them.

Goon Boots
Feb 2, 2020

Platystemon posted:

Describe the Cybermen.

Goon Boots fucked around with this message at 08:31 on May 19, 2022

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

credburn posted:

There are a couple folks in my apartment complex with "My other car is a Tardis" bumper stickers.

So, I'm aware the show exists, but I've still never watched it.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Platystemon posted:

Describe the Cybermen.

Here's how 12 year old me described them without ever having seen the show:
That weird silver c3p0 with handles on its head that I keep seeing in sci-fi magazines.

Extra row of tits
Oct 31, 2020
How do I stop my bike getting stolen without hiring an armed guard?

Giant padlock and literal chain?

Ironhead
Jan 19, 2005

Ironhead. Mmm.

Bicycle or motorcycle?

A good lock should be pretty obvious .

For motorcycles they also make disc brake locks so you can't just roll them away. Some of them also have a motion sensor so if you shake the bike the alarm goes off. Most motorcycles these days also have fork locks.

Even for bicycles these days you can get a vibration alarm that just runs on batteries so if someone tries to move the bike and alarm goes off.

Anti-Theft Bike Lock 120db Alarm Security Lock 0.1 kg Ultralight Wireless Remote Control Bicycle Alarm https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07PHFGW4F/ref=cm_sw_r_apan_i_HPJVK8FB8614324V224V?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

I've had pretty good luck with those cheap little bicycle alarms, usually if someone goes to grab the bike and an alarm goes off, they decide to just gently caress off.

Edit: I know nothing about this alarm, it was just the first one I grabbed off Amazin

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

I have bike insurance and it's been really helpful the past couple times.

The flat folding locks are supposed to be pretty good, as they are much harder to sever with bolt cutters. Abus is a decent brand.

Otherwise, just make your bike a less attractive target compared to all the others. Wrap the lock around light posts and other stationary objects. Give it a lovely spray paint powder coat and some scratches. Some folks remove the seat and take it with them, up to you if that's worth the effort.

E: this is coming from a country where everybody bikes, might be different in North America. Biggest danger in my neighbourhood is drunk people kicking bike tires until they bend, but that's because I live close to a football stadium.

Fruits of the sea fucked around with this message at 21:49 on May 19, 2022

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre
Lockpicking Lawyer says that where you put your bike is more important then any lock you can get as they are all various levels of trash to anyone who actually wants your bike.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Extra row of tits posted:

How do I stop my bike getting stolen without hiring an armed guard?

Giant padlock and literal chain?

Assuming bicycle, get a couple of u-locks like the Kryptonite heavy ones. Follow their instructions about where to lock them on your bike. I've also used a bike alarm and it worked great to keep my accessories from being removed.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Ride a junk bike.

A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

These children have taught me how to believe.
so first you'll need about 2 bags of quickrete and some rebar

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Platystemon posted:

Ride a junk bike.

This is the real answer.

Otherwise, get several U locks and make them as tight as possible to whatever you’re locking the bike to so someone can’t get a crowbar wedged in there. Better yet, take it inside when and where you can.

If it gets stolen, keep an eye on Craigslist and Facebook marketplace for the next few days as there basically a 100% chance it will show up. Say you want to buy it, tell the cops you’ve found your stolen bike and you’re going to go get it, and try to get them arrested (or don’t tel the cops and just go take your bike back). There was a Radiolab about a dude who did this for fun and he was wildly successful. Don’t get shot.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Best is to keep it inside if you can, but I assume that isn't an option.

Trapick
Apr 17, 2006

Also check your local law enforcement, some have a program where you register the serial number, increases the odds it'll come back to you. Doesn't make them good odds or anything, but worth a try.

BaronVanAwesome
Sep 11, 2001

I will never learn the secrets of "Increased fake female boar sp..."

Never say never, buddy.
Now you know.
Now we all know.
When the Harlem Globetrotters "played" the Washington Generals around/near Washington, did they temporarily name them something else?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

BaronVanAwesome posted:

When the Harlem Globetrotters "played" the Washington Generals around/near Washington, did they temporarily name them something else?

They’ve had a bunch of other names over the years, but usually just one for each season.

It’s possible that during the 1971–1972, when they had five names and alternated between them, one of the non-local monikers was strategically selected.

Otherwise, I don’t think so. They had one set of uniforms and stuck with it.

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

There was an English electronic duo who played a set at coachella this year, in a big tent. I remember they nailed it but I can't remember who they were, does anyone know who I'm talking about? Not Disclosure but kind of similar I guess, a bit more of a house-y vibe with some pop thrown in.

Extra row of tits
Oct 31, 2020

tuyop posted:

Assuming bicycle, get a couple of u-locks like the Kryptonite heavy ones. Follow their instructions about where to lock them on your bike. I've also used a bike alarm and it worked great to keep my accessories from being removed.

Hi, yes push bike sorry should have been clearer. I’ll look at the locks you suggest. I’ve had good locks before and the last one was supposed to be a high quality one but the thief got through it in literally 5 seconds.

sleppy
Dec 25, 2008

Bucky Fullminster posted:

There was an English electronic duo who played a set at coachella this year, in a big tent. I remember they nailed it but I can't remember who they were, does anyone know who I'm talking about? Not Disclosure but kind of similar I guess, a bit more of a house-y vibe with some pop thrown in.

Louis the Child fits that description.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Extra row of tits posted:

Hi, yes push bike sorry should have been clearer. I’ll look at the locks you suggest. I’ve had good locks before and the last one was supposed to be a high quality one but the thief got through it in literally 5 seconds.

A good bike lock is going to look something like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iaj6Hh2kr9E

They're going to be expensive, because the only ways to resist cutting attacks are good materials and sheer size. The big concern with a lock like this is to make sure you're not locking your bike down to something that's trivial to cut. A $100 lock with a 3/4" hardened steel shackle isn't going to be much of a deterrent if you lock it to a lovely bit of railing that's trivial to cut.

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

sleppy posted:

Louis the Child fits that description.

It does indeed thanks, but no I’m pretty sure it was Fred Again, I must have been thrown by the duo thing cos looks like he’s a solo artist but there were two on stage. Anyway I caught them on the livestream and haven’t been able to find a video since, but highly recommend

https://www.reddit.com/r/Coachella/comments/u628yf/fred_again/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=ios_app&utm_name=iossmf

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Was listening to a podcast earlier that referred to I Feel Love by Donna Summer as proto-electronic music so maybe it’s that

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre
The problem with bike locks is never going to be cutting (unless the cable is incredibly cheap), it's the fact that someone with any sort of knowledge can pick the lock in like 10 - 30 seconds. The consensus is either deal with having cheap bikes stolen and never leaving an expensive bike, or pick the best places to leave them where there are environmental factors that keep someone from trying to get at the lock (out in the open, good lighting, etc).

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
often I'll see a joke riffing on a meme that's like a poem format almost but im not sure the original source

it goes like

"I wanted to eat the strawberries

with which you wanted to keep

but it was soft to the touch"

weird I know, I can't remember the exact wording which makes this hard to describe, but the joke is to take something someone wrote and format it like it's a haiku

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

This is Just to Say by William Carlos Williams:

quote:

I have eaten
the plums
that were in
the icebox

and which