Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Buttchocks
Oct 21, 2020

No, I like my hat, thanks.

Khanstant posted:

did we ever see under the helmet or can we just keep assuming they all look like princess leias

there's a slightly smaller helmet underneath

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Tiberius Christ posted:

They look like werewolves under those helmets but that's never on screen, just that they're furry

I think that's Jawas

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

Tiberius Christ posted:

They look like werewolves under those helmets but that's never on screen, just that they're furry
"...maybe they're all furry, it's supposed to be very cold on Breen" says Ezri. I think it was just speculation, not actual fact.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Buttchocks posted:

there's a slightly smaller helmet underneath

matryoshka aliens

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

DaveKap posted:

"...maybe they're all furry, it's supposed to be very cold on Breen" says Ezri. I think it was just speculation, not actual fact.

Iirc Weyoun claims at one point that Breen isn't even that cold?

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

expanded canon is there are like 7 different species living in the breen government and the suits are some kind of equality thing

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

I do not remember where I read it, but somewhere people were speculating that the ENT: Dear Doctor was supposed to be an origin story for Breen. What's underneath are those Valakians with messed up geneology after brute-forcing a cure to that plague that was killing them all.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Der Kyhe posted:

I do not remember where I read it, but somewhere people were speculating that the ENT: Dear Doctor was supposed to be an origin story for Breen. What's underneath are those Valakians with messed up geneology after brute-forcing a cure to that plague that was killing them all.

It was a joke from the SFdebris review of that episode.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

8one6 posted:

It was a joke from the SFdebris review of that episode.

Yeah, since for example Memory Alpha didn't mention it as background info, I kinda suspected that it was mostly an Internet rumor or such.

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

Isn't the breen helmet the same one that leia wears at the beginning of RotJ

Well, close.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Feldegast42 posted:

Isn't the breen helmet the same one that leia wears at the beginning of RotJ

Long time ago, far future, you know what, some styles just never go out of fashion.

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

Grand Fromage posted:

I prob posted this the first time I saw it but I'm doing it again. Sound on.

https://twitter.com/dada78641/status/1179462125636509703

I've been on a Farscape binge and this is pretty much anytime Scorpius is on screen in the first few episodes.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

The Breen were so cool.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Got to episode S3 E 16 Blood Fever , and lol at this drat Vulcan infecting Belonna with Vulcan horniness. Also the doctor like "hey just gently caress this hologram and shoot your jizz all over the holodeck".

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Hollismason posted:

Got to episode S3 E 16 Blood Fever , and lol at this drat Vulcan infecting Belonna with Vulcan horniness. Also the doctor like "hey just gently caress this hologram and shoot your jizz all over the holodeck".

They call it the Riker protocol.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Tunicate posted:

expanded canon is there are like 7 different species living in the breen government and the suits are some kind of equality thing

I've always thought that was a pretty good idea. Although I just like the idea of more multi species states in general.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Sash! posted:

I've always thought that was a pretty good idea. Although I just like the idea of more multi species states in general.
The Xindi storyline was pretty interesting, all things considered.

Poke Chop
Apr 27, 2008
The xindi storyline was at least planned out and had some good mystery reveals. All the pieces kind of come together about halfway through the season before it goes full jack bauer. They got the weird radiation, the blue goo insulation/drugs, the invisible spheres. Thats all good stuff.

Compare to discovery season 2 when they just went wherever there was a red flash and had a little adventure there. Some of their new friends helped with the boss battle in the finale.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Poke Chop posted:

The xindi storyline was at least planned out and had some good mystery reveals. All the pieces kind of come together about halfway through the season before it goes full jack bauer. They got the weird radiation, the blue goo insulation/drugs, the invisible spheres. Thats all good stuff.

Compare to discovery season 2 when they just went wherever there was a red flash and had a little adventure there. Some of their new friends helped with the boss battle in the finale.

Half of Enterprise Season 3 is also completely disposable wheel-spinning garbage there to pad out the season and fill 24 episodes of time. There’s like barely 8 episodes to the proper Xindi arc, 9 if you include Similitude because it’s just that drat good even if it is a bottle episode.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
The Xindi arc was actually pretty drat nuanced and progressive for a terrorism allegory only two years after 9/11. You think it’s gonna be all “we’re space America going to kick some rear end”, and then it immediately turns into a learning exercise about how the Xindi are people too and very complex and then everyone teams up to defeat the real bad guy: Saudi Arabia the Sphere Builders.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

HD DAD posted:

and then everyone teams up to defeat the real bad guy: Saudi Arabia the Sphere Builders.

Between this, the Borg and Stargate, sci-fi really does seems to have an issue with people who build stuff in basic geometric shapes.

Beware the evil, evil Tyoplizm empire in their parallelogram ships are attacking us again!!!

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

You ain't kidding, have you played Destiny 2? It's literally sphere vs pyramid.

I kinda feel like the Borg have forced every other sci-fi story's hand on cube ships. Nobody can do it because they all know they'll be compared to the Borg but pyramids, spheres, donuts... we can do those.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

I want a bad guy that flies around in old time rocket ships.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Sash! posted:

Like they look straight out of Flash Gordon but inside they're just normal ships, with perhaps more pulp retrofuture aesthetic stylings than most.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Everybody from that world is named "Zapp" or "Raygun" or "Astro"

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
We found Captain Proton’s home planet!

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

If they put out a whole-rear end in-universe Captain Proton series... I don't think I'd complain at all.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Saw the episode with Tuvok and Harry fighting over a hologram gf that gains sentience and attacks the ship. They remark that this happened before on the Enterprise-D and I'll remark that if that happened to a real quasi-military organization they'd yank every loving holoprojector out of every starfleet ship 30 seconds after they got the report that Sherlock Holmes' archnemesis almost destroyed the flagship of the fleet.

Holodecks cause so many loving problems, I know they're an easy story engine when you're trying to write 26 scripts a year, but holodeck accidents have to be in like the top 10 of starfleet casualty incidents.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
"Captain, we should report this to Starfleet."
"Yes, Number One. We should definitely report that our free blowjob machine is dangerous and should be taken away from us. Shouldn't we?"
"...Request withdrawn, sir."

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Obviously they don't use it as a blowjob machine because Harry doesn't just make an exact copy of the program to have sex with and instead decides to convert to Vulcanism. Paris says something interesting about it (everyone has fallen in love with a holonovel character - which seems like it would probably be true in a world with holodecks) but the fact that this is a problem in the 24th century implies to me that they aren't using the holodecks for holosecks. At least not Starfleet.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
I mean, I don't think there was any sex had on Voyager that wasn't personally sanctioned by Janeway. But Picard and Riker got like a hair's breadth away from double-teaming Minuet.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

davidspackage posted:

I mean, I don't think there was any sex had on Voyager that wasn't personally sanctioned by Janeway. But Picard and Riker got like a hair's breadth away from double-teaming Minuet.

And we cut to Law & Order S3E6, “Helpless”…

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

davidspackage posted:

Season 1 TNG is non canon

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Sash! posted:

Voyager really needed to do more stuff with Dr. Chaotica, didn’t they?

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

davidspackage posted:

Harry had un-sanctioned sex with a hot alien.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

dr_rat posted:

Between this, the Borg and Stargate, sci-fi really does seems to have an issue with people who build stuff in basic geometric shapes.

And someday we shall take the fight to Flatland itself!

(Aerial bombing should work pretty well. The whole third-dimension thing is kind of a weak point of theirs.)

Poke Chop
Apr 27, 2008

davidspackage posted:

The doctor presumably boned his holo-wife

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

zoux posted:

Obviously they don't use it as a blowjob machine because Harry doesn't just make an exact copy of the program to have sex with and instead decides to convert to Vulcanism. Paris says something interesting about it (everyone has fallen in love with a holonovel character - which seems like it would probably be true in a world with holodecks) but the fact that this is a problem in the 24th century implies to me that they aren't using the holodecks for holosecks. At least not Starfleet.
I imagine they're loving the holodeck characters, for certain, but despite the nerd gremlin 'hnf hnf I'd just program it to have all my favorite animes give me blow jobs 24/7' stuff, most people engage with it as a narrative/roleplaying device.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

zoux posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6lobo3c0NFg

It's canon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaroff
Nov 10, 2009

Nothing in the world can stop me now!

Brawnfire posted:

If they put out a whole-rear end in-universe Captain Proton series... I don't think I'd complain at all.

Honestly, you could write a few hours of Captain Proton, cut it into 5 minute chunks and drop an episode a week. Bring in Robbie McNeill and Garrett Wang for some roles within it and you’d have at least a minor success!

Just make sure it’s fun and not unnecessarily dark.