Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

i'm relatively new to commander, and i'm trying to make a commander deck from scratch. it's a orzhov life drain vampire deck with the commander being the new vampire from baldur's gate, astarion the decadent.

the main focus of the deck is obviously life gain/life loss but the deck also has some blood token focus since glass-cast heart can deal 13 damage to all opponents and let me gain 13 life so it could be a good finisher.

i'm trying to not make this deck too expensive and/or too powerful. i'm probably only going to try it during my LGS commander nights which i haven't been to so i'm unsure of the power level that's played generally... but i ended up buying wound reflection, boon reflection, exquisite blood, twilight prophet, tainted remedy and sanguine blood so that might make this deck way stronger than it should so i may just take out if it feels too strong. also have the meathook massacre from back when midnight hunt was the draft format.. i'm at 118 cards so i need to get rid of 18 cards.

suggestions?

https://www.moxfield.com/decks/MpqGFfTCu0Wh2HAmsterpw

Strong Sauce fucked around with this message at 07:28 on May 18, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
You should include Axis of Mortality in there. Swapping life totals counts as loss/gain of life.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Should EDH players stop going easy on one another?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hR7RQ1cDU9o&t=207s

The answer is absolutely yes. For me anyway.

Jiro fucked around with this message at 20:56 on May 18, 2022

thalweg
Aug 26, 2019

Strong Sauce posted:

i'm relatively new to commander, and i'm trying to make a commander deck from scratch. it's a orzhov life drain vampire deck with the commander being the new vampire from baldur's gate, astarion the decadent.

the main focus of the deck is obviously life gain/life loss but the deck also has some blood token focus since glass-cast heart can deal 13 damage to all opponents and let me gain 13 life so it could be a good finisher.

i'm trying to not make this deck too expensive and/or too powerful. i'm probably only going to try it during my LGS commander nights which i haven't been to so i'm unsure of the power level that's played generally... but i ended up buying wound reflection, boon reflection, exquisite blood, twilight prophet, tainted remedy and sanguine blood so that might make this deck way stronger than it should so i may just take out if it feels too strong. also have the meathook massacre from back when midnight hunt was the draft format.. i'm at 118 cards so i need to get rid of 18 cards.

suggestions?

https://www.moxfield.com/decks/MpqGFfTCu0Wh2HAmsterpw

Looks like fun. Since your commander is expensive you're probably running a good amount of mana rocks (i think?), though a talisman of heirarchy would be nice instead of one of the 3 cost ones. At first glance this is what stands out to me:

Spells -
Arterial Flow - not impactful enough
Blood Tribute - i havent played with this enough, but it seems too limited at only targeting one player + not actually a kill card actually i see the synergy now with the commander ability, might be cool actually
Consume Spirit - while i love this card and Drain Life, would probably only play them in mono B
Sorin's Vengeance - too expensive, only targets one player
Shattered Crypt - Probably better ways to recover from a boardwipe. Maybe Dusk // Dawn?
Dash Hopes - probably not good enough even though it's fun

Artis -

Chalice of Life - not impactful enough
Mindcrank - part of the Bloodchief Ascension combo but if you're not running that then you're not gonna kill them with mill

Enchantments -

Palace Siege - slow
Shadows of the Past - it's fine, but mana intensive
Tainted Remedy - doesnt do much against decks that aren't gaining life
Revenge of Ravens - this might be better than it seems if it gets your opponents to attack each other, but i tend to think it's not proactive enough

Lands -
Transguild Promenade & Gateway Plaza - basics are probably better.

Creatures - probably the hardest section to figure out imo
Agent of Masks - too expensive & marginal effect
Ayli - probably better suited to a more aristocrats focused deck
Kalastria Highborn - conditional and costs mana to do it, only hits one person
Malakir Bloodwitch - see how this works in practice, but it may be that you're never landing it with a big enough board to feel great about it
Zulaport Cutthroat - I think he's better in decks that are making and saccing lots of tokens or recurrable creatures. Maybe a hot take to cut him though. Also not a vampire.
Witch of the Moors - a card to playtest first, but i'd keep an eye on this one and see how much it actually does, or if people are just binning 1/1 tokens to it and you're not raise dead-ing anything worthwhile

Not to give you more to consider, but I'd also look for a few ways to get some token generation and card draw in there, and also some more ways to use all that life you're gaining. Pay life effects like Greed or Aetherflux Reservoir maybe? It kinda looks like the two directions you can take this are a more aggro direction, running low to the ground vampires that drain/gain/do something on attack with some lords and effects like Sanctum Seeker and Campaign of Vengeance -- or a focus on leave the battlefield sacrifice drain triggers and cards that get value off of that like Zulaport and Cruel Celebrant. My instinct is to go the aggro route, but I wouldn't try to fit both in. I think that drain effects hitting all players is also probably the "correct" way to build life drain stuff, but it could also make you a target on the table so that may be something to keep in mind. Another thing to be aware of is having to keep track of however many different 1 life drain triggers going off on your board constantly. Anyway maybe someone else will come along and have much better advice but it looks like you've got a good starting point there.

thalweg fucked around with this message at 21:37 on May 18, 2022

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

https://www.tcgplayer.com/product/272662/magic-commander-legends-battle-for-baldurs-gate-gluntch-the-bestower

I don't think there's anything I like about this card, lol

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
but it draws you a card same turn

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Lol, the backgrounds:

https://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/feature/commander-legends-battle-baldurs-gate-mechanics-2022-05-18

Some of these are nutty

E:

More here https://dotesports.com/mtg/news/how-background-works-in-magic-the-gathering-commander

And I saw one that makes your commander a base 10/10 and costs five or six mana (can't remember).

Batterypowered7 fucked around with this message at 02:51 on May 19, 2022

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

Heath posted:

You should include Axis of Mortality in there. Swapping life totals counts as loss/gain of life.
i added this card but i may opt to take it out since it seems like it might be too random not as fun and/or might make me too much of a threat in the late game. does fit well with the vampire theme. thanks!

thalweg posted:

deck review

thank you for this advice. appreciate your time/effort into writing this up. lots for me to sift through later tonight

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Strong Sauce posted:

i added this card but i may opt to take it out since it seems like it might be too random not as fun and/or might make me too much of a threat in the late game. does fit well with the vampire theme. thanks!

thank you for this advice. appreciate your time/effort into writing this up. lots for me to sift through later tonight

I'd say Blood Baron of Vizkopa, but that guy's 5 mana for a 4/4 and no ETB trigger.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Every time you pull it out you can be like "it's gluntch bitch"

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

EDH vs cEDH | Magic the Gathering Commander Comedy

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
https://twitter.com/stackededh/status/1527050923138244609?s=21&t=TUELBlCcw4X56OsvtVql1A

Ken seems like a fine chap. I think he gets really weird about Krark decks and overall I think he’s maybe a little too protective of such a weirdly toxic card that is obviously problematic, but I like his drive to codify cEDH and make it more available to the community writ large

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
The treasure tokens are getting so ubiquitous in our meta that I'm considering playing Viridian Revel

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
Do it. Fangren Marauder is also potentially hilarious if less powerful.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Played some Precon games last night and the Bant one is HILARIOUSLY stacked. All of its rares are so pushed, it became a archenemy every time. I played out of the box Beamtown Bullies and only one because Etali, Primal Storm was thriving and in my lane, ripping insane gas and giving me huge advantages every combat.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

Azza Bamboo posted:

The treasure tokens are getting so ubiquitous in our meta that I'm considering playing Viridian Revel

I now have two complete cEDH decks on opposite ends of the artifact spectrum.

My Sythis deck is all in on anti-mana rocks, anti-treasure-- Null Rod, Stony Silence, Collector Ouphe, and Titania's Song. I even took out my fast mana rocks-- it's not running any now, which feels blasphemous.

Meanwhile my Magda deck is all in on barfing treasures onto the table for the combo.

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

Don't sleep on Karn, the Great Creator for anti-artifact hate.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

Infinite Karma posted:

Don't sleep on Karn, the Great Creator for anti-artifact hate.

For sure.

Sadly, he's good but probably the worst option in Sythis due to how few artifacts I'm running (so Karnstructs are pointless) and his cost. Stony, Ouphe, and Null Rod are all 2 mana, and while Titania's Song is 4 mana, it shuts off ALL artifacts, not just ones with activated abilities-- and is way harder to remove than Karn, who can just be attacked into.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
https://twitter.com/tolariancollege/status/1527311672775364608?s=21&t=TUELBlCcw4X56OsvtVql1A

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Thoughts on this incomplete The Beamtown Bullies list? I know we've had a back and forth about Royal Assassin/Avatar of Woe, but what about the rest of the cards? How many lands should I run? What are some other includes I've missed?

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

The thread is literally called My Deck's a 7 because it's a joke of how often a number fails to elucidate anything for various reasons. So, clearly the answer is to put in two numbers for players to be misaligned on. Now you can have dissatisfying games in four dimensions.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Magnetic North posted:

The thread is literally called My Deck's a 7 because it's a joke of how often a number fails to elucidate anything for various reasons. So, clearly the answer is to put in two numbers for players to be misaligned on. Now you can have dissatisfying games in four dimensions.

Yeah, my deck's a 77****

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
My deck's a 7 when represented in base 16 on a 3d plane.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

I feel like that diagram pretty much sums up a lot of variances put out there. Personally for me I'm totally happy at High Power Casual, as it fits into my mindset of when playing around with fighting games against friends.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
TBH last night I went over to my buddy’s house around 5:30 and played Commander (Precon level) for about 7 hours and made the conscious decision to put my notes away and not record the games or turn order or anything and just play and I won twice and had more fun just smoking weed and eating pizza and Fritos and playing Beamtown Strefan than I’ve made playing cEDH the last few months, and I’ve decided that it’s probably normal for your relationship to magic and it’s various formats to shift, even dramatically, over the course of 5 years of continuous play

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009
So a 7 / 7 is a deck running ~16 pieces of interaction aiming to win around turn 8.

I don't know why you even need to translate that to the 1-10 scale, it just obfuscates things for no reason!

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

I don't really even pay attention to the numbers more of the descriptions offered around the graph itself

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
Multiply your deck's play-to-win level against the control-the-game level, add the mean card price, add the standard deviation in card value squared, raise it to the power of one divided by the median mana cost, then multiply it by zero and add seven.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
Conquest throwing up a community server in advance of their Open House.

Some highlights:

Scry rule: "After completing mulligans and before taking pregame actions, each player performs scry X, where X is the number of players acting before them in turn order. (With 4 players: player 2 gets scry 1, player 3 gets scry 2, and player 4 gets scry 3.)"

Has been publicly tested since December update. Currently shows a 21-25% winrate across table position. Asking for feedback about permanent implementation.

The following are being polled for possible action:
• Ancient Tomb
• Chrome Mox
• Cyclonic Rift
• Deflecting Swat
• Emrakul, the Aeons Torn
• Esper Sentinel
• Fierce Guardianship
• Jeska's Will
• Jeska, Thrice Reborn
• Krark, the Thumbless
• Malcolm, Keen-Eyed Navigator
• Mana Vault
• Prophet of Kruphix
• Smothering Tithe
• Tevesh Szat, Doom of Fools

Partners: Polling for partner changes (or not) including (a) -1 hand size per partner/background and (b) Shared commander tax.

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Roman Reigns fights CM Punk in fantasy warld. Lotsa violins, so littl kids cant red it.

Bust Rodd posted:

TBH last night I went over to my buddy’s house around 5:30 and played Commander (Precon level) for about 7 hours and made the conscious decision to put my notes away and not record the games or turn order or anything and just play and I won twice and had more fun just smoking weed and eating pizza and Fritos and playing Beamtown Strefan than I’ve made playing cEDH the last few months, and I’ve decided that it’s probably normal for your relationship to magic and it’s various formats to shift, even dramatically, over the course of 5 years of continuous play

Yeah this is absolutely true and completely normal. You’ll go through phases where what is fun to you for this game changes, sometimes dramatically. And that’s cool, you should just go with it. There are so many ways to play, switching it up can really be huge.

Casual low-power/precon commander with your buds rules.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

TotalHell posted:

Yeah this is absolutely true and completely normal. You’ll go through phases where what is fun to you for this game changes, sometimes dramatically. And that’s cool, you should just go with it. There are so many ways to play, switching it up can really be huge.

Yeah. The problem comes in when you decide that a million people around the world have to conform to what your jam is this week.

Thom Yorke raps
Nov 2, 2004

I have a group that is high cost / high power decks where everyone is trying to win, but not quite cEDH

and I have a group that is 'trying to win, but also trying to do something silly'

and I have a group that is precons and jank

all are fun in their own ways

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
That chart sure is not confusing at all. With that logic, my Sythis deck is 8/10 and my Magda deck is a 4/10, which may make some degree of sense on their chart but will be absolutely baffling to anyone who hasn't seen it.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Baldur's Gate Commander cards here for those that want to peruse them all:

http://mythicspoiler.com/

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

Magic: The Gathering - Commander/EDH Thread: My Deck's a 6-9

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
I didn't know Tasha was a card this expansion, is there one for her Hideous Uncontrollable Daughter?

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

I didn't know Tasha was a card this expansion, is there one for her Hideous Uncontrollable Daughter?

Turn off your monitor.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

There's one for her hideous laughter.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
I'm putting all the backgrounds in my Karona deck

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken

Toshimo posted:

Conquest throwing up a community server in advance of their Open House.

Some highlights:

Scry rule: "After completing mulligans and before taking pregame actions, each player performs scry X, where X is the number of players acting before them in turn order. (With 4 players: player 2 gets scry 1, player 3 gets scry 2, and player 4 gets scry 3.)"

Has been publicly tested since December update. Currently shows a 21-25% winrate across table position. Asking for feedback about permanent implementation.

The following are being polled for possible action:
• Ancient Tomb
• Chrome Mox
• Cyclonic Rift
• Deflecting Swat
• Emrakul, the Aeons Torn
• Esper Sentinel
• Fierce Guardianship
• Jeska's Will
• Jeska, Thrice Reborn
• Krark, the Thumbless
• Malcolm, Keen-Eyed Navigator
• Mana Vault
• Prophet of Kruphix
• Smothering Tithe
• Tevesh Szat, Doom of Fools

Partners: Polling for partner changes (or not) including (a) -1 hand size per partner/background and (b) Shared commander tax.

That scry rule is great and I'd like to see it tested in EDH as well. The partner changes are intriguing, although I wonder if (a) is "-1 hand size per partner" or "-1 hand size for having two partners" because as written having two commanders is a hand size of 5.