Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Random Stranger posted:

From what I remember from my IC manufacturing courses, neon isn't used in every process. And since it's used to keep a neutral environment, it's potentially possible to substitute another noble gas. But I'm sure there's weird complications there that mean you can't just swap out the neon bottle for an argon bottle.

Even if you could just swap out neon for argon, you still have to get argon, and I'm guessing there isn't a huge surplus of that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

ultrafilter posted:

Even if you could just swap out neon for argon, you still have to get argon, and I'm guessing there isn't a huge surplus of that.

you will simply have to outcompete every industry that involves welding

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?

Random Stranger posted:

From what I remember from my IC manufacturing courses, neon isn't used in every process. And since it's used to keep a neutral environment, it's potentially possible to substitute another noble gas. But I'm sure there's weird complications there that mean you can't just swap out the neon bottle for an argon bottle.

I thought the neon was for the lasers?

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Is it not possible to expand the extraction operations that exist outside of Ukraine?

Yes, but not worth it just for the neon unless prices get outrageously high.

You may have seen in articles on the subject that neon in ukraine was a byproduct of the steel industry. This is because high quality steel uses a lot of separated gasses -- pure oxygen in one stage, inert nitrogen or argon in others. So a big steel plant benefits from having somebody next door doing cryogenic air separation. The neon, and other rare gasses, come out as well but aren't needed for steel. So they're a "byproduct" even though the neon technically has nothing to do with steel itself.

So anybody anywhere can start making neon by making air really cold, but if nobody's buying the rest of the air it's not a viable business. And an existing cryogenic operation probably doesn't want to scale up for the same reason: they're producing all the air that the steel plant across the street needs. Make twice as much air, sell just the neon: that doesn't balance unless neon is very dear.

ultrafilter posted:

It is very opaque but the Ukrainian factories produced about half of the global supply. Some of them can be restarted relatively quickly, but one of the big ones was in Mariupol, and that's not coming back online any time soon.

the steel plant was in Mariupol but the air company is apparently in Odessa

still not very helpful for the above-mentioned reasons, plus the nothing's leaving Odessa via ship

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

ultrafilter posted:

Argon is the third most abundant gas in the atmosphere. We're not going to run out any time soon.

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

https://twitter.com/OneRadChee/status/1526740335451418626

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Same thing goes for Palladium, though there, the chipmakers will be competing with the automotive industry. Good luck with that. At least the supply seems more diverse?

Would be a shame if something happened to the automotive industry’s chip supply. :toughguy:

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

HappyHippo posted:

I thought the neon was for the lasers?

Maybe it is, but I'm thinking of transistor construction where at least one method involves throwing reactive material around and letting it build up deposits. I'll concede I could be off on how neon is used and where, though.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Zopotantor posted:

Argon is the third most abundant gas in the atmosphere. We're not going to run out any time soon.

You have to get it out of the atmosphere and in bottles for the manufacturing process.

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003

Random Stranger posted:

Maybe it is, but I'm thinking of transistor construction where at least one method involves throwing reactive material around and letting it build up deposits. I'll concede I could be off on how neon is used and where, though.

Here's a good rundown on the situation: https://www.rdworldonline.com/why-theres-a-neon-shortage-and-why-it-matters/

Basically, it's used for the lasers. You need a continuous supply because it eventually gets contaminated. You can make neon anywhere, but economies of scale favour huge air separation plants, which produce the neon as a byproduct. Ukraine has these huge plants to supply the local steel industry. With those shut down, the cost of neon will go up.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

replace the lasers with synchrotrons

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

nachos posted:

I have a hard time believing people who stashed their money in UST also had the discipline to save 150k for 20 years.

Especially with what sounds like multiple medical expenses.

I would assume either a fraction of the claimed 150k was invested when what they put it in was much lower, and they're counting they're theoretical gains as losses. Or could just have been an inheritance.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

HappyHippo posted:

Here's a good rundown on the situation: https://www.rdworldonline.com/why-theres-a-neon-shortage-and-why-it-matters/

Basically, it's used for the lasers. You need a continuous supply because it eventually gets contaminated. You can make neon anywhere, but economies of scale favour huge air separation plants, which produce the neon as a byproduct. Ukraine has these huge plants to supply the local steel industry. With those shut down, the cost of neon will go up.

:ms:

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
continuing to buy tha dip. each time i buy my average cost declines, perfectly setting me up for epic gains :haibrower:

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Chinatown posted:

continuing to buy tha dip. each time i buy my average cost declines, perfectly setting me up for epic gains :haibrower:

You know if you just want to waste money, you could send it to me.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Zil posted:

You know if you just want to waste money, you could send it to me.

What are your return rates?

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

happyhippy posted:

What are your return rates?

-57%

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

In the current crypto market that's extremely competitive.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

numberoneposter posted:

im pulling my tiny 0.01861354

i too am jerking off

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

Buy stablecoin collect horseshit

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

haljordan posted:

Florida used to have this nutjob tax collector who had his guys running around with guns and badges for no good reason. He also started a fire in city hall when the crypto mining rig he purchased illegally burst into flames.

Josh Greenberg, who was trying to get Matt Gaetz a preemptive pardon for screwing underage girls, and had six charges against himself for the same thing.

I know, an amazing coincidence that sort of thing happening in bitcoin.

https://www.lawyersgunsmoneyblog.com/2021/04/it-did-get-weird-enough-for-me

taco show
Oct 6, 2011

motherforker

I'm still catching up on this thread so sorry if this has been posted already but lol at this very catchy tiktok song

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0amWsMfR2Ok

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.
https://twitter.com/yorkshiretea/status/1526848431028936704?s=21&t=h6oLKoLZ64Lgq-gTXmtAiA

Elerion
May 31, 2011

taco show posted:

I'm still catching up on this thread so sorry if this has been posted already but lol at this very catchy tiktok song

Unironically the best thing crypto has created.

It's a low bar.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

I’m getting laid in web3
The blockchain will prove it for me

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug
Wonder how many bitcoin boys are going to be jacking off in anger at that video.

My guess is "all of them" but hey.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

taco show posted:

tiktok's duet feature has really enabled some killer musical collaboration. i love this kind of thing.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

prom candy posted:

tiktok's duet feature has really enabled some killer musical collaboration. i love this kind of thing.

https://youtu.be/DWPJ25JSTH4

Is tiktok…good!?

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

once the algorithm figures out what kind of weirdo you are it's probably the most entertaining social media site

edit: I can't get the theme song to this channel out of my head https://www.tiktok.com/embed/7091765183437163822

prom candy fucked around with this message at 22:07 on May 19, 2022

katka
Apr 18, 2008

:roboluv::h: :awesomelon: :h::roboluv:

What is this from?

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

katka posted:

What is this from?

My Father’s Dragon

I also just remembered that there’s an anime adaptation of it too, I should check that out. It’s probably adorable.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

Tormented posted:

I have a friend that told me his brother just setup a Bitcoin mining operation in Florida over the last couple of weeks.

I was like, "Aren't you two sort of late to the party?"

He was like, "Na man, the GPU prices are cheap now. Its the best time to get into Bitcoin"

I told him that people knew the gold rush was over when the shovels got cheap as the smart money was already cashing out.

He is still not happy with me.

loving LOL!!!

Florida is one big grift, from time shares, to scientology, it's a purely grift based economy.

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003

divabot posted:

Josh Greenberg, who was trying to get Matt Gaetz a preemptive pardon for screwing underage girls, and had six charges against himself for the same thing.

I know, an amazing coincidence that sort of thing happening in bitcoin.

https://www.lawyersgunsmoneyblog.com/2021/04/it-did-get-weird-enough-for-me

Didnt they get caught from their Venmo payments? No wonder they want a (pseudo-) anonymous currency

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
except they have bad infosec.

iirc some of their Signal messages were also leaked because they either didnt set it up to have expiring/self deleting messages or no screen shots, or they disabled those because it got annoying.

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

but i dont wanna be a spaceship
Fun Shoe

PhazonLink posted:

except they have bad infosec.

iirc some of their Signal messages were also leaked because they either didnt set it up to have expiring/self deleting messages or no screen shots, or they disabled those because it got annoying.

Thats laugably duggar levels of pointless incompetance.
and its great.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

That brand's social media intern did quite a good job with that post

nexous
Jan 14, 2003

I just want to be pure

Somfin posted:

That brand's social media intern did quite a good job with that post

probably got him a job offer. good work intern

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

staberind posted:

Thats laugably duggar levels of pointless incompetance.
and its great.

Matthew Gertz : hellow agent smith, is this about the highschooler thing? I thing you got the wrong person.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kill All Cops
Apr 11, 2007

Pacheco de Chocobo

Hell Gem

taco show posted:

one of the dudes in this video is getting donated a bunch of NFTs

https://twitter.com/JulyTheGinny/status/1526985431753101319