Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Deadly Ham Sandwich posted:

You can get some shockingly cheap used bicycles that are good. Or a cheap new Walmart bicycle which will suck, but hey, it's a cheap bike.

Walmart bikes are fine, wealthy people just love spending money on their hobbies and they convince poorer people that cheap bikes are bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

mawarannahr posted:

Walmart bikes are fine, wealthy people just love spending money on their hobbies and they convince poorer people that cheap bikes are bad.

Let's not turn this thread into another example of bourgeois excess, there are perfectly functional and good quality bikes for cheap. Like actual cheap. Like being poor and still being able to afford it cheap.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

mawarannahr posted:

Just don’t buy one with stamped dropouts

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

mawarannahr posted:

Walmart bikes are fine

wut

Apr 7, 2003

The Audi driver has arrived to poo poo on poor people again.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

The Audi driver has arrived to poo poo on poor people again.

how much was your subaru

Apr 7, 2003

actionjackson posted:

how much was your subaru

It's not an Audi, that's the important part.

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!
i hate cars because people sling around brand names out of pride of knowing a car's make, still consoomer brained

they all look the same to me

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Just don’t buy one with stamped dropouts

I don’t even know what that means, I just hit the pedal and it goes and I don’t worry too bad if it’s stolen

Apr 7, 2003

mawarannahr posted:

I don’t even know what that means, I just hit the pedal and it goes and I don’t worry too bad if it’s stolen

Some super lovely bikes use a piece of stamped steel inserted into the rear frame to hold the rear wheel, it's a real cheap way to make a part that can gently caress you up bad if it fails.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

It's not an Audi, that's the important part.

you're right, audi still makes station wagons, subaru doesn't

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Some super lovely bikes use a piece of stamped steel inserted into the rear frame to hold the rear wheel, it's a real cheap way to make a part that can gently caress you up bad if it fails.

thanks for the tip, ill keep a lookout. I’m not very experienced. it’s way easier to bike in America than Turkey, thankfully. much saner drivers.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
I got a Walmart bike off Facebook marketplace because a dude had it sitting in his garage unused for a year.

It's fine, but I'm probably gonna tear it apart and make it a project bike, and get a better one in the meantime.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

I love and respect car

TRAIN car

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.
bicycles are children's trivial amusements

Nitevision
Oct 5, 2004

Your Friendly FYAD Helper
Ask Me For FYAD Help
Another Reason To Talk To Me Is To Hangout
Bicycles are one of the finest achievements of human ingenuity

mystes
May 31, 2006

I think walmart bikes are also extremely likely to be misassembled. This is probably more of a danger than the crappy parts.

Dog Case
Oct 7, 2003

Heeelp meee... prevent wildfires

mystes posted:

I think walmart bikes are also extremely likely to be misassembled. This is probably more of a danger than the crappy parts.

It's mainly this. The weird department store bike fear started in the 80s and 90s when there were actually completely trash bikes being sold. Now the cheap stuff at Walmart actually uses standard, replaceable parts. They're gonna be heavy and assembled badly and those parts will probably wear out faster but otherwise they're fine if you're just trying to get somewhere.

The whole "you need a good bike if you want to ride bikes" thing is just more capitalism brain poisoning that affects every hobby in America and has people constantly thinking they need to upgrade this and that because what i have is fine, but what if it could be slightly better.

https://www.outsideonline.com/outdoor-gear/bikes-and-biking/department-store-bikes-good/

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
https://twitter.com/i/status/1523721952229470208

I have no clue how to get just the bottom vid

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!
:piss:

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

cars are pretty cool

thinking about buying another

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

AnimeIsTrash posted:

cars are pretty cool

thinking about buying another

im going to stuff it full of dynamite and blow it to kingdom come!!!

Apr 7, 2003

I'm going to go gently caress my bicycle.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Smythe posted:

im going to stuff it full of dynamite and blow it to kingdom come!!!

the only thing you're blowing is the order that says you gotta stay 1000 ft away from any school district

Dog Case
Oct 7, 2003

But you could gently caress a car instead

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OrLMLFE5Eec

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Enjoy.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

AnimeIsTrash posted:

the only thing you're blowing is the order that says you gotta stay 1000 ft away from any school district

im going to go blow an elderly man until he shoots rancid cum into my mouth and then im going to spit it on your new car. what do you think about that?

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Smythe posted:

im going to go blow an elderly man until he shoots rancid cum into my mouth and then im going to spit it on your new car. what do you think about that?

youre going to gently caress around and find out

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

Lastgirl posted:

i hate cars because people sling around brand names out of pride of knowing a car's make, still consoomer brained

they all look the same to me

Doesn't look like anything to me

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

Smythe posted:

I wonder if older people's cum and pussy juice taste different/worse

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Zerg Mans posted:

I wonder if older people's cum and pussy juice taste different/worse

ages like wine

Apr 7, 2003

Dog Case posted:

But you could gently caress a car instead

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OrLMLFE5Eec

that's a lot of loving

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

Dog Case posted:

It's mainly this. The weird department store bike fear started in the 80s and 90s when there were actually completely trash bikes being sold. Now the cheap stuff at Walmart actually uses standard, replaceable parts. They're gonna be heavy and assembled badly and those parts will probably wear out faster but otherwise they're fine if you're just trying to get somewhere.

The whole "you need a good bike if you want to ride bikes" thing is just more capitalism brain poisoning that affects every hobby in America and has people constantly thinking they need to upgrade this and that because what i have is fine, but what if it could be slightly better.

https://www.outsideonline.com/outdoor-gear/bikes-and-biking/department-store-bikes-good/

bikes direct is a thing and generally offers way better for more or less the same price as a Walmart bike so I think people just recommend that over Walmart stuff

looking at Walmarts website it does seem like the Schwinn stuff around $300 is perfectly serviceable

A MIRACLE has issued a correction as of 20:59 on May 19, 2022

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

Almost got into a head on crash going 60 earlier today because someone couldn't wait 5 seconds to get over the top of a hill before they started passing a wide load truck and two other cars behind it. Love cars, great mode of transportation, super safe

Dude was taking up half of my lane when we went past each other. I was just lucky that the shoulder was super wide on the road and that I had already moved over a bunch before I saw him because of the wide load truck.

Love it when people do stupid poo poo because they want to save 5 seconds

TeenageArchipelago has issued a correction as of 21:01 on May 19, 2022

Dog Case
Oct 7, 2003

A MIRACLE posted:

bikes direct is a thing and generally offers way better for more or less the same price as a Walmart bike so I think people just recommend that over Walmart stuff

looking at Walmarts website it does seem like the Schwinn stuff around $300 is perfectly serviceable

I think the one big downside to bikes direct and department store bikes is that you either need to be a bikes-knower or have a friend that is so that somebody that can spot problems and can set things up so they work well can look at it. Even a good bike from a shop still needs that free tune-up they usually include with a new bike because cables stretch and spokes and bearings loosen as everything breaks in.

Even a poo poo bike will work fine as long as somebody that knows what they're doing is keeping an eye on it and adjusting things when they get a little off before they have a chance to self-destruct

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica
id definitely say youll have a much better time with walmart bikes if you are adept at fixing untrue wheels, loose hubs, mispositioned brakepads, derailleurs with the limits all hosed up and etc. I had a roadmaster foldie a customer basically threw at us when we told them the repairss would be $150 and it was a super nice bike once I completely overhauled it

it was heavy as gently caress though

Horace
Apr 17, 2007

Gone Skiin'

anyone else always read the title of this thread to the tune of duran duran's girls on film?

🎵
i hate cars
(we're walking and cycling)
I hate cars

Apr 7, 2003

Some guy nearly caused a crash at a left exit because he was pissy that I was leaving a car length between me and the car in front of me, and the highway I was heading to anyway was shut down because a tractor trailer crashed into a car and everything caught fire

Everything is so loving insane out here and I can’t drive ten minutes without seeing death wish level poo poo

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
Front window is open and some teens walked by, down the street, talking amongst themselves.

A few seconds after they'd passed, a car comes by and rather than slowing down while approaching walking teenagers on a residential street, just lays on his horn lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Petanque
Apr 14, 2008

Ca va bien aller

Some guy nearly caused a crash at a left exit because he was pissy that I was leaving a car length between me and the car in front of me, and the highway I was heading to anyway was shut down because a tractor trailer crashed into a car and everything caught fire

Everything is so loving insane out here and I can’t drive ten minutes without seeing death wish level poo poo

I was cycling to the store earlier and the car in front of me pulled a hard right onto a one-way street going the wrong way. poo poo's hosed