Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Kale posted:

Do Americans really only understand politics in sheer black and white terms of opposition and extremes nowadays?

Polls say: Pretty much!

I saw a recent trendline that showed Democrats rating the economy as doing better beginning in Jan. 2021 & Republicans rating the economy as doing worse.

To this day there's a pretty heavy partisan tilt; the most recent morningconsult survey shows that 66 percent of Democrats strongly or somewhat approve of Biden's handling of the economy, which drops to 26 percent among indy voters and 7 percent among GOP voters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

gee who could have seen this coming

Looks like the error mostly benefitted the Democrats, though. 5 out of 6 undercounted states was a red state, and 6 out of 8 overcounted states was a blue state. Not really surprising given how the GOP was making GBS threads on the census while the Democrats were making a big deal within their states about getting everyone to respond.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

VideoGameVet posted:

The immediate bipartisan action to prevent women from protesting at the homes of the justices just shows how much :decorum: is valued by this admin over action. Sorry.

How have they been trying to prevent protesting at homes? Last I heard they were increasing personal security in case some crazy person tried to kill a judge over this while Congressional Democrat leaders were saying protesting at their homes was fine.

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Informative article in the Texas Tribune about Cuellar's primary.

This is a really close race. It is going to a runoff after Cuellar won the initial primary by just 2.1%, 48.7% to 46.6%.

https://www.texastribune.org/2022/05/17/jessica-cisneros-henry-cuellar-texas-runoff-election/

Texas Tribune posted:

The May 24 primary runoff election is a rematch from two years ago, when Cisneros fell just short of pushing Cuellar to a runoff in 2020. She is challenging him again, and once more, liberal groups are solidly consolidated behind her. Cuellar is undoubtedly formidable, with the backing of some of the party’s top national leaders.

But after an unrelenting slew of bad political news for Cuellar this year, he’s never been more vulnerable.

But now, Cuellar’s record as the last anti-abortion Democrat in the House has reignited ire from members of the party from across the nation, who are still reeling from the reports that abortion could soon be outlawed in half of the country. On that issue and other policies — unions, border security, and oil and gas — he and Cisneros are at odds.

The Supreme Court leak roiled the race, but Cuellar’s campaign was already injured from when the FBI conducted a mysterious and still unexplained raid on his Laredo home and campaign office weeks before the March primary. Cuellar’s attorney has said the FBI informed him that Cuellar is not a target of an investigation, and Cuellar has denied wrongdoing.

Cisneros capitalized on the news, raising a stunning amount of money for the race.

Six weeks later, Cuellar was unable in March to win the primary outright, falling short of the majority needed to avoid a runoff.

Lately, Cisneros has leaned into her stance for abortion rights as a contrast to Cuellar’s record. But in other cases, she softened her rhetoric on some of the positions she took in 2018 that gave her blowback.

For instance, in the last campaign cycle, Cisneros advocated to “split [U.S. Immigration Customs and Enforcement] in half and reassign enforcement functions … to other agencies, including the Department of Justice,” in a candidate survey with 350 Action, a group formed to fight climate change.

This February, Cuellar’s camp seized on that point, saying in a widely viewed television advertisement that her position would be “... leaving us with open borders that would make us less safe and cost us thousands of jobs, putting our security and economy in jeopardy.”

When asked if she still backed that ICE policy from November 2019, Cisneros focused on impact to jobs.

“I would never support any kind of policy or legislation that would take anyone’s jobs away because I, myself, know how difficult it is making ends meet,” she said.

“I know how scary it is for people to think that their livelihood is going to be messed with,” she added.

But Cisneros still embraces her progressivism with abandon.

She describes abortion as health care. She supports a Green New Deal in oil and gas country. And her campaign has hosted a succession of progressive celebrities — including U.S. Sens. Bernie Sanders of Vermont and Elizabeth Warren of Massachusetts, plus U.S. Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez of New York — who have come to the district to campaign for her.

Cuellar in trouble

It is noteworthy whenever a U.S. House incumbent loses reelection in a primary because such losses are so rare. Typically, only a small handful of members lose this way each cycle. The last U.S. House member to lose reelection from Texas was in 2014, when U.S. Rep. Ralph Hall lost the Republican nomination to John Ratcliffe, who went on to serve in Congress and as the director of national intelligence under President Donald Trump.

The two strongest signs of political danger for a Texas U.S. House incumbent are facing a runoff challenge and being outraised by a challenger.

Cuellar currently faces both circumstances.

In an interview in the days after the Supreme Court abortion news, Cisneros said her fundraising staff was inundated by donors motivated to oust an anti-abortion Democrat.

And that’s fresh money that came into the Cisneros organization after campaign finance reports showing that by May 4, she had raised $4.5 million over the course of the cycle, compared to Cuellar’s $3.1 million.

A fractured party

Despite the tumult, Cuellar’s powerful allies have doubled down on their support of him.

U.S. House Speaker Nancy Pelosi reiterated her support for Cuellar last week, a statement that enraged and astonished the left in the wake of the Supreme Court developments.

“I'm supporting Henry Cuellar,” she said at a news conference. “He’s a valued member of our caucus.”

At the same time, EMILY’s List, an influential group that works to elect Democratic women who support abortion rights and with whom Pelosi has been closely aligned for decades, is one of Cisneros’ strongest backers. Last week the organization booked about a half-million-dollar television advertising buy to help Cisneros.

Pelosi last week repeated reports that his attorney said Cuellar was not a target of the FBI investigation. She added that anti-abortion Democrats have served in the House before, and his vote was not needed to pass a bill in the House to codify Roe v. Wade into federal law last fall.

“He is not pro-choice, but we didn’t need him,” she said. “We passed the bill with what we had.”

And she’s not alone: U.S. Rep. James Clyburn, the third-ranking House Democrat, campaigned for Cuellar earlier this month in San Antonio, and the fourth-ranking House Democrat, U.S. Rep. Hakeem Jeffries of New York donated to Cuellar’s campaign in a recent campaign finance report.

No longer a Democratic bulwark

When Cuellar first won in 2004, an Austin Chronicle recap of that year’s elections around the state described South Texas as a region that “remains the state’s Democratic bulwark.”

The 2020 election shattered that long-held consensus, as Democrats across the region saw their margins shrink to underfunded Republican candidates.

So now for the first time in modern history, South Texas Democrats have to factor the general election into their considerations in choosing their nominees due to the coming Republican onslaught which will be led by either Cassy Garcia or Sandra Whitten, who are competing for the Republican nomination in their own runoff.

In April, political analyst David Wasserman said out loud to the Tribune what many Republican and Democratic operatives were saying privately: South Texas is far more socially conservative than many Democratic-leaning hubs, and many of Cisneros’ biggest supporters don’t live in her district. As such, Cuellar is the more electable contender in the fall, Wasserman and others have argued.

When asked about this notion, Cisneros said her ascent indicates she is more in touch with the district.

“People generally say that about incumbents, right?” Cisneros told the Tribune. “I think the boost that Henry claims to get is one that stems from him being an incumbent, not so much someone that is actually representing the values of the district.”
There seems to be some serious disagreement among the two factions of the party, with Pelosi, Jeffries and Clyburn feeling very strongly that the party should pander to conservadems and Bernie, Warren, the squad etc. strongly disagreeing - and we can add Jayapal to that list now as well.

And as we saw in Schrader's district - the voters get to decide. And whatever the effect on Republicans, the Roe leak does not seem to be working out well for anti-abortion Dems.

Cisneros seems like she could be a real star if she can gain office.

Mellow Seas fucked around with this message at 16:51 on May 19, 2022

Bishyaler
Dec 30, 2009
Megamarm

Rigel posted:

How have they been trying to prevent protesting at homes? Last I heard they were increasing personal security in case some crazy person tried to kill a judge over this while Congressional Democrat leaders were saying protesting at their homes was fine.

1) What kind of message does it send that the current peaceful protests necessitate increased security?
2) What kind of message are you sending by saying that by labeling people as "crazy" if they might respond violently to being stripped of their bodily autonomy?

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Mellow Seas posted:

Well he lost, so at least Democratic voters seem to give a poo poo, which party leadership might notice at some point. And whatever their intentions for Schrader were are irrelevant now, because the voters said hell no.

e: Just remembered Cuellar also has a challenger! Hope he loses too. That primary is on Tuesday.

Jayapal endorsed his challenger, at least. The party is not in lockstep, and so far progressives are winning this primary season.

I'm absolutely waiting for the traditional dem "we'll burn the entire thing down before we cede any power to legitimately selected progressives" response, but it absolutely is heartening that primary voters are making their voices heard to some degree this season.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Rigel posted:

Looks like the error mostly benefitted the Democrats, though. 5 out of 6 undercounted states was a red state, and 6 out of 8 overcounted states was a blue state. Not really surprising given how the GOP was making GBS threads on the census while the Democrats were making a big deal within their states about getting everyone to respond.

The greater issue is that those red states were undercounting African-American and Hispanic people inside their state. If you're only looking at electoral votes/house reps, then this could be the difference between the just having current one majority-minority district in Alabama or adding another one.

This isn't even looking at the different types of federal funding that gets doled out.

edit: misread Arkansas and Alabama, which currently doesn't even have a majority-minority district. But I think the idea still stands, no matter what the state is.

GoutPatrol fucked around with this message at 17:18 on May 19, 2022

Nucleic Acids
Apr 10, 2007

Bishyaler posted:

1) What kind of message does it send that the current peaceful protests necessitate increased security?
2) What kind of message are you sending by saying that by labeling people as "crazy" if they might respond violently to being stripped of their bodily autonomy?

Also, I'm not sure how many Democrats were actually saying protests at homes were okay apart from Chuck loving Schumer of all people.

Fart Amplifier
Apr 12, 2003

Bishyaler posted:

Your comment is answering a question with a question, shifting the goalposts, and making a strawman argument

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

Mellow Seas posted:

Informative article in the Texas Tribune about Cuellar's primary.

This is a really close race. It is going to a runoff after Cuellar won the initial primary by just 2.1%, 48.7% to 46.6%.

https://www.texastribune.org/2022/05/17/jessica-cisneros-henry-cuellar-texas-runoff-election/

There seems to be some serious disagreement among the two factions of the party, with Pelosi, Jeffries and Clyburn feeling very strongly that the party should pander to conservadems and Bernie, Warren, the squad etc. strongly disagreeing - and we can add Jayapal to that list now as well.

And as we saw in Schrader's district - the voters get to decide. And whatever the effect on Republicans, the Roe leak does not seem to be working out well for anti-abortion Dems.

Cisneros seems like she could be a real star if she can gain office.

I would encourage all the folks in this thread who have been fixated on Cuellar to check out his opponent's campaign. I'm absolutely certain that the Cisneros campaign could use folks from anywhere in the country to phonebank and help push her over the line.

Put your money where your mouth is and help make some change, friends.

https://www.mobilize.us/jessicacisnerosforcongress-tx28/event/452360/

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.
expect more of this type of poo poo in many states

https://twitter.com/boltsmag/status/1527328964401717273

essentially electoral colleges for states that weigh rural counties significantly higher, eliminating 1 person 1 vote.

it is not going to succeed in Colorado, but red states are absolutely going to strip voting power away from metro areas.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Starks posted:

Just to add to this very correct post, cattle account for something like 35% of all mammal biomass on earth thanks to humans. Wild mammals — every whale, elephant, etc — only account for 4%. So yeah, we have a long way to go before we have to worry about the extinction of the livestock cattle.

A lot of environmental policies we are faced with disproportionately harm the poor, because that’s the way our global society is set up, eg transitioning from fossil fuels. But saying that India shouldn’t stop using coal would probably get you (rightfully) mocked in this thread.

Climate change also disproportionately harms the poor, and American health outcomes related to high consumption of beef are not very good in the first place, to put it mildly. I think the chances of America putting the burgers down on their own is very unlikely (as evidenced by the responses here) which is why I wish there was more pressure from the international community, especially in the form of sanctions.

Great so regulate the cows out of existence, replace them with fake beef. I'm fine with that. Nationalize the industry and destroy it. I'm fine with that.

Saying "well you should know better" to poor americans(who are not the global poor) upset about rising grocery prices is pretty dumb.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

Jaxyon posted:

Great so regulate the cows out of existence, replace them with fake beef. I'm fine with that. Nationalize the industry and destroy it. I'm fine with that.

Saying "well you should know better" to poor americans(who are not the global poor) upset about rising grocery prices is pretty dumb.

We can raise beef in a manner that reduces the carbon/methane footprint but you’ll have less of to and a more expensive supply.

Basically grazing I’ve been told.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

VideoGameVet posted:

We can raise beef in a manner that reduces the carbon/methane footprint but you’ll have less of to and a more expensive supply.

Basically grazing I’ve been told.

I'm sure also I barely eat beef and don't care.

I'm here about people upset that they can't grocery-scold people.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Willa Rogers posted:

It's pretty much been a state-level issue for the last 30 years. While it might get some people out to vote in states with heavy restrictions or outright bans, the redder the state, the more restrictive its laws on abortion, and the less likely that the needle is moved on the issue.

I do agree that state & local elections matter, though.

Ok, now show us the text succinctly distilling these points in a sentence or two in response to a voter who says "Dems are worthless on the matter; why should I vote for them?" while you're doing GOTV texting.

Dems can only do what the people in a system already rigged against them give them the ability to do. We're fighting an uphill battle with one arm tied behind our backs thanks to Supreme Court decisions - of which three appointees put there by Trump, which would have been appointed by Hilary if just 80,000 more people in a few more states had gone out and voted, decided several, including the upcoming challenge to Roe v Wade - and the very nature of the US Senate. Right now we have a tie and one or two senators can swing the whole thing and we have a very good chance of increasing that margin but only if people vote in numbers equal to 2020.

Note: there is no way to recall a sitting senator. Once one is in, they're in. The only way to get them out is have 2/3rd senators vote to kick them out. Guess how many times that's happened in history? We are stuck with Manchin and Sinema until 2025. That's the reality. If Manchin loses he'll be replaced by a Republican, that's also the reality. If he's stripped of his committees etc, he'll defect to Republicans and that's the majority. The only realistic way to disempower them is to add more Democratic senators. That's it.

We also have to keep the House, because these blood-gargling psychopaths like Marjorie Taylor Greene will be in charge if we don't. It doesn't matter if YOUR district's Republican candidate seems like a reasonable, nice quiet Republican. That's what they thought about the guy who won the Virginia governorship, and now he's trying to criminalize gay and trans kids, gut water protections, and forming task forces to try and rig Virginia's future elections through voter suppression. The House Republicans stripped their reasonable members of their assignments when they decided to join the investigation into the insurrection on 1/6. Reasonable Republicans won't do what you want them to do. They can't. The party's been captured by nutjobs. And not voting still hands them power.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

VideoGameVet posted:

The immediate bipartisan action to prevent women from protesting at the homes of the justices just shows how much :decorum: is valued by this admin over action. Sorry.

You realize there are still three liberal justices on the Supreme Court that are a hell of a lot more likely to be gunned down by rightwing extremists, right. This isn't just about 'decorum' its about not wanting the first black female justice assassinated.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Oracle posted:

Dems can only do what the people in a system already rigged against them give them the ability to do. We're fighting an uphill battle with one arm tied behind our backs thanks to Supreme Court decisions - of which three appointees put there by Trump, which would have been appointed by Hilary if just 80,000 more people in a few more states had gone out and voted, decided several, including the upcoming challenge to Roe v Wade - and the very nature of the US Senate. Right now we have a tie and one or two senators can swing the whole thing and we have a very good chance of increasing that margin but only if people vote in numbers equal to 2020.

Note: there is no way to recall a sitting senator. Once one is in, they're in. The only way to get them out is have 2/3rd senators vote to kick them out. Guess how many times that's happened in history? We are stuck with Manchin and Sinema until 2025. That's the reality. If Manchin loses he'll be replaced by a Republican, that's also the reality. If he's stripped of his committees etc, he'll defect to Republicans and that's the majority. The only realistic way to disempower them is to add more Democratic senators. That's it.

We also have to keep the House, because these blood-gargling psychopaths like Marjorie Taylor Greene will be in charge if we don't. It doesn't matter if YOUR district's Republican candidate seems like a reasonable, nice quiet Republican. That's what they thought about the guy who won the Virginia governorship, and now he's trying to criminalize gay and trans kids, gut water protections, and forming task forces to try and rig Virginia's future elections through voter suppression. The House Republicans stripped their reasonable members of their assignments when they decided to join the investigation into the insurrection on 1/6. Reasonable Republicans won't do what you want them to do. They can't. The party's been captured by nutjobs. And not voting still hands them power.

Just to be clear: This is what you'd text to an undecided voter to get them to vote Dem if they asked you why bother?

If so, then I need to rephrase my question: What would be your couple-sentence pitch to get an undecided voter to vote Dem?

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

Willa Rogers posted:

Just to be clear: This is what you'd text to an undecided voter to get them to vote Dem if they asked you why bother?

If so, then I need to rephrase my question: What would be your couple-sentence pitch to get an undecided voter to vote Dem?

Ken Bone wasn't actually undecided Willa. If you are undecided in 2022, you aren't worth pursuing. the trick is motivating people that are decided on the issues to actually vote.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

I mean, I'm pretty sure a plurality of voters don't associate themselves with either major party, and even when leaners are factored in there are sizable numbers of voters who don't think it's a bloody war between the Righteous & the Evil, or who have more nuanced positions on the issues than "what dems support is good & what repubs support is bad."

That's the sort of echo-chamber thinking that leads to electoral hubris, and then losses.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Willa Rogers posted:

Undecided voters are going to need a lot more than a quick text exchange to convince to do anything, and they're just as likely to be convinced by the last person they talk to. In short, they are not worth the effort. Shoring up voters in strategetic districts who came out for Dems in 2020 will have a lot more bang for my buck.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Oracle posted:

Undecided voters are going to need a lot more than a quick text exchange to convince to do anything, and they're just as likely to be convinced by the last person they talk to. In short, they are not worth the effort. Shoring up voters in strategetic districts who came out for Dems in 2020 will have a lot more bang for my buck.

Ok, so you would text those voters what you wrote?

I'd still like to see an elevator pitch out of it, bc brevity's not only the soul of wit, but also the soul of political messaging, imo.

eta: If I were texting (and believing it) Dems to get them to vote it'd be something like this:

"Democrats are trying their best to help working families,* but the Republican minority in Congress won't let this happen. If you want to help Biden and other Democrats help America, please vote a straight Dem ticket in November."

* "working families" has been the trope so long I wouldn't even bother trying to modify it, even though the phrase kinda turns my stomach.

Willa Rogers fucked around with this message at 18:25 on May 19, 2022

Staluigi
Jun 22, 2021

Willa Rogers posted:

I mean, I'm pretty sure a plurality of voters don't associate themselves with either major party

If I had a dollar for every motherfucker i knew who "didn't associate themselves with either major party" and/or was "a political independent" or "free thinking moderate" and only ~incidentally~ loyally supported one party one hundred percent of the time always without fail and without regard to how insane and corrupt it was getting and will always do so until the sun burns out, I would be closing on a house of my choosing right now

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

Willa Rogers posted:

I mean, I'm pretty sure a plurality of voters don't associate themselves with either major party, and even when leaners are factored in there are sizable numbers of voters who don't think it's a bloody war between the Righteous & the Evil, or who have more nuanced positions on the issues than "what dems support is good & what repubs support is bad."

That's the sort of echo-chamber thinking that leads to electoral hubris, and then losses.

1. unaffiliated voters are a very different category from undecided voters.
2. leaners are by definition not undecided.
3. most 'independent' voters do not swing from party to party each election.

modern elections are completely won by turnout and suppression.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Staluigi posted:

If I had a dollar for every motherfucker i knew who "didn't associate themselves with either major party" and/or was "a political independent" or "free thinking moderate" and only ~incidentally~ loyally supported one party one hundred percent of the time always without fail and without regard to how insane and corrupt it was getting and will always do so until the sun burns out, I would be closing on a house of my choosing right now

Yes, I understand why partisans believe this, but issues polling shows vast differences; these are the voters who don't reflexively state that the president's doing a good job on the economy depending on the team jersey color.

Indies, e.g., are much closer to Dems on the issue of abortion, while being much closer to Republicans on issues like the economy & immigration.

Think of it in terms of that phrase that Obama supporters used to use: "low-info voters." Not everyone bases their political choices on cable-news output.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
This will probably be as close to her saying a recession will be happening as she can get.
https://twitter.com/DeItaone/status/1527333363777843201?t=kRgwzpOYfo8UcuwPR8xbGw&s=19
Powell has said expect more pain.

CNN and Bloomberg both have stories up saying us rents hit another record high in April.
https://www.cnn.com/2022/05/19/homes/us-rents-april/index.html
One of the things I learned when reading about inflation pressures is rent is a lagging indicator and you tack on 3-6 months of rent increases for every new month of housing price increases. I believe I read this from Jason Furman.

Mr Hootington fucked around with this message at 18:38 on May 19, 2022

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Oracle posted:

Wow sounds like somebody in power should do something about that before Democrats become a permanent minority that can't compete in rigged elections, there's not much time left!

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Oracle posted:

voting for dems also hands them power, as the current trifecta has spent the last two years reminding you. bit of a poser, imo.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Oracle posted:

Dems can only do what the people in a system already rigged against them give them the ability to do. We're fighting an uphill battle with one arm tied behind our backs thanks to Supreme Court decisions - of which three appointees put there by Trump, which would have been appointed by Hilary if just 80,000 more people in a few more states had gone out and voted, decided several, including the upcoming challenge to Roe v Wade - and the very nature of the US Senate.

I'm not sure this is entirely true. Kennedy only stepped down when he did so he could be replaced by a Republican, so very unlikely Hillary gets all three that Trump did. And unless those 80,000 people also produced a Democratic senate, there's no guarantee she even gets the other two. Maybe McConnell possesses enough shame that he wouldn't stall replacing Scalia for four years—though I wouldn't exactly bet my life on it—but RBG died two months before the 2020 election and he sure as poo poo would have been willing to wait on replacing her given he held up Garland's nomination for longer than that.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Sir Kodiak posted:

I'm not sure this is entirely true. Kennedy only stepped down when he did so he could be replaced by a Republican, so very unlikely Hillary gets all three that Trump did. And unless those 80,000 people also produced a Democratic senate, there's no guarantee she even gets the other two. Maybe McConnell possesses enough shame that he wouldn't stall replacing Scalia for four years—though I wouldn't exactly bet my life on it—but RBG died two months before the 2020 election and he sure as poo poo would have been willing to wait on replacing her given he held up Garland's nomination for longer than that.

If the Court is 4-4 for nearly five years and 4-3 for two months, the 2020 election is unrecognizable from this reality

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

haveblue posted:

If the Court is 4-4 for 3.9 years and 4-3 for two months, the 2020 election is unrecognizable from this reality

Yep. I'm not telling you I know what precisely would happen. But you shouldn't blindly reassign three successful Supreme Court appointments from Trump to Hillary based purely on the 2016 election going differently.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Yeah the party shouldn't have cleared the deck for Hillary in 2016 then we might not be in this mess but they did and we're here now so only thing to do is learn and move forward.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Gripweed posted:

OK, so they tried to do something but then they couldn't. So the Democrats accomplished nothing. Yes, Democrats often have excuses for why they couldn't give the voters what they want but I don't see how that matters.

Okay, at this point: Prove they could have done something. Their excuses is the very system that we are expecting them to work in, which is a very valid excuse.

It sucks, but that's how the system works. They can't go full monty and just start caning the GOP to support them or beating Manchin until he votes correctly.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 19:40 on May 19, 2022

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

CommieGIR posted:

They can't go full monty and just start caning the GOP to support them or beating Manchin until he votes correctly.

Actually they can, but the last time they tried it triggered the Civil War

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

haveblue posted:

:thejoke: That was the point.

small butter
Oct 8, 2011

Sir Kodiak posted:

Yep. I'm not telling you I know what precisely would happen. But you shouldn't blindly reassign three successful Supreme Court appointments from Trump to Hillary based purely on the 2016 election going differently.

It probably would have been a 5-4 liberal Supreme Court and Clinton would have won reelection. It's also likely that she would have been running against Trump again. Remember that a lot of the pro-Covid and anti-masking bullshit came from Trump himself in order to pretend that everything was fine, which was amplified by Republicans. Republicans would have been up in arms over the death tolls, etc. and would have pointed out the "failures" of the Clinton administration by imposing Covid safety rules. Then 2020 comes and it's like... you want to entrust that guy with your safety?

Even with a Republican Senate, I find it almost impossible to believe that they would have kept the seat open the entire time. At that point, all credibility is absolutely gone.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
This is me personally, but I suspect Musk (who has already said he plans to vote for the GOP) is going to try to setup a spoiler part to draw away Dem votes and give the GOP an easier run at the polls.

This is what Trump tried to do with Kanye in 2020 but of course Kanye was really a nobody political. I think Musk may have enough sway to setup a spoiler third party, even if he cannot run for President himself.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

haveblue posted:

CommieGIR posted:

:thejoke: That was the point.

It's a sad state of affairs when a run the jewels music video is the best outcome we're hoping for and full civil war is the worst outcome. kinda seems like the latter is becoming inevitable in some fashion or another.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NUC2EQvdzmY

Bishyaler
Dec 30, 2009
Megamarm

haveblue posted:

Which is where we're headed anyway if we like the idea of women being people, because the second that SCOTUS decision is handed down trigger laws will kick in all over the US.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Willa Rogers posted:

Nothing will be moving the needles politically as long as prices for food, shelter, healthcare & fuel continue their stratospheric climbs in this country.

This election may as well be called the Maslow Cycle given the national sentiment right now, and that only feeds into anti-immigrant hysteria, which continues to rank fairly high in issues polling.

I've actually seen liberals in the wild (DU) post that Everything Will Change in June, when televised congressional hearings into America's Darkest Day, 1/6, Never Forget :911: and offhand I can't think of an approach more tonedeaf to your average American voter.

This right here man, 100%

I heard Biden talking today about how great it is Scandinavian countries wanting to join NATO is and, OK, but I highly doubt your average United States voter gives much of a flying gently caress about it at all right now.

BiggerBoat fucked around with this message at 22:13 on May 19, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

CommieGIR posted:

This is me personally, but I suspect Musk (who has already said he plans to vote for the GOP) is going to try to setup a spoiler part to draw away Dem votes and give the GOP an easier run at the polls.

This is what Trump tried to do with Kanye in 2020 but of course Kanye was really a nobody political. I think Musk may have enough sway to setup a spoiler third party, even if he cannot run for President himself.
You’re reading too much into this

He’s upset that other people care about workers and the environment and he just wants to lash out