Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

City of Glompton posted:

is sunburn a concern when they grow up?

If they're free ranging in a yard with plenty of cover items, they'll stay out of trouble.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joburg
May 19, 2013

Fun Shoe
I’ve read mixed reports so yeah, I think they will be fine when they figure out what shade is.

They are just so cute.

I now think Marge’s chicks are all boys.

BHB
Aug 28, 2011
In less good news, the bird flu wave has reached my state and started burning through it with a vengeance. Thanks primarily to my partner's heroic prep efforts we've moved all of the chickens into the old screened in carport attached to the house. It'll be a pain working around the extra biosecurity steps, and there are still the ducks to handle but I think the chickens should be able to ride out the next X months in comfort and style.

e: with video!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YYBe_8awewg

BHB fucked around with this message at 06:04 on May 12, 2022

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

My local Target had this for sale:

My 3 year old claimed it.

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

Meet the girls! Light brahmas Edam and Mozzarella, Easter Eggers Florette and Pecarina, gold laced Wyandotte Colby and cuckoo maran Abbaye.

This is an older pic, they're getting wing and tail feathers now. They've also discovered the joys of scrambled eggs and instead of running from The Hand, dash over to investigate, even standing on The Hand to eat. Mrs. Underbridge found a worm and gave it to them today. She was "Ew, I'm not cutting it up!" No need. The girls tore it up.

They're also hop flapping, and eyeing the rim of the brooder, so the wire lid went on. They were not happy with the new sky.

And for extra squee, sleepy chicks!

City of Glompton
Apr 21, 2014

awww :love:

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

5er posted:

If they're free ranging in a yard with plenty of cover items, they'll stay out of trouble.

I have the opposite problem, if anything. If the weather is unpleasant the girls will huddle under my son's trampoline and act like they're playing "the floor is lava" with any other wet/icy/snowy/hot ground when I try to get them out. Somehow a 2 pound chicken who doesn't want to move can suddenly become a small boulder and seemingly quintuple its mass. "Great," I think, "I'm a grown man trying to push a chicken."

Joburg
May 19, 2013

Fun Shoe

So cute :3:

I’ve offered scrambled eggs to the naked neck chicks 3 times and they won’t even try it :argh:

Joburg
May 19, 2013

Fun Shoe
I have 6 broody chickens now. Still expecting 2 more, one youngster is looking broody-ish and Blanche has been broody before so I assume she will go again. I checked all the broody’s eggs today and one of Penny’s cheeped! Tomorrow is expected hatch day so they are right on time.

And here is a duckling update.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

god they're just so precious!

a chicken stuffy my husband recently bought for me is named Blanche.

https://fluffnest.com/products/puffpals-blanche-the-chicken

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Joburg posted:

So cute :3:

I’ve offered scrambled eggs to the naked neck chicks 3 times and they won’t even try it :argh:

One thing I've had on my mind with my current chicks is that they're all extremely enthusiastic handfeeders, from day 1. My previous birds were 2 barred rocks and 2 ameraucanas, and when they were chicks, it took a few days of work before they'd eat out of my hands, and maybe a couple of weeks before they'd stop being shy of my hand from just putting it in the brooder. The two buff orpingtons I added later on were much friendlier from the start.

This pack though, only the wyandottes took some coaxing to get used to my hand. A week later, and the stronger of the two is always muscling her way through the other chicks to peck at whatever's in my hand, or just play 'king of the hill' with whatever part of my hand can be perched on if I'm just interacting with them. The weaker one's going to be my shy guy, but she'll still come around last if I've got food.

I introduced them to dry steel cut oats on Tuesday or Wednesday. At first, they had that 'wtf is this poo poo, this isn't the usual food' reaction. But by Friday, oats will start outright piranha frenzy. I haven't tried scrambleds with them yet but I'm going to bet at this point they've figured out if I'm handing them something, it's going to be for them to eat.

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

spookygonk posted:

Today is the seventh anniversary of Lady Molly Dashwell leaving her factory cage for freedom and coming home to be a retired garden hen.

Molly has come a long, long way from that first day. She still has the huge hernia, but it's kept in check with an implant that stops her laying eggs.
She also has a brilliant vet who has helped her through illness.

Adding in her time in the cage, she's about eight and a half years young.

Molly is a big, floofy hen that demands daily cuddles and gets grumpy when things don't go her way.
Note: she has had many treats today.

^^ How time flies. ^^

Today is the EIGHTH anniversary of Lady Molly Dashwell coming to her forever home and she's doing great.

She's now about nine and a half years young.

Note: she has had many treats and cuddles today.

edit She's our wholly remarkable and unique chicken and even though she's technically the top of the flock, Molly has no interest in those duties.
It's all about Molly (and quite rightly so).

spookygonk fucked around with this message at 22:49 on May 17, 2022

Joburg
May 19, 2013

Fun Shoe

spookygonk posted:

It's all about Molly (and quite rightly so).

Hear, hear! Happy Anniversary to you and Molly!

City of Glompton
Apr 21, 2014

Happy anniversary Molly! she looks like a proper lady

BHB
Aug 28, 2011
beauty and grace :3:

mahershalalhashbaz
Jul 22, 2021

by Pragmatica

(and can't post for 13 days!)

spookygonk posted:

Today is the EIGHTH anniversary of Lady Molly Dashwell coming to her forever home and she's doing great.

a splendid creature. what a difference you've made to that funny little soul :unsmith:

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

good golly, miss molly :kimchi: she looks like a wonderful, healthy, happy, grumpy gal

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

Happy anniversary to a magnificent lady :love:

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

Our girls are doing a lot of growing! At just over two weeks they're at least twice the size they were when we got them. Pecorina is now putting out her body contour feathers, while the two brahmas aren't even partway done with their wing feathers.

They have been introduced to the joys of live prey, but it took a few minutes. I dumped a couple of dozen tiny crickets in the brooder and afirst they were afraid of the little moving dots. Then Edam kept staring and staring, getting closer before finally giving an experimental peck. She was sold immediately and ran around giving the "I've got a treat!" trill. That got others interested. Some were slower than others but Edam went into beast mode and snarfed up almost half of the crickets. Pecorina got about a quarter, and the other four finally managed a couple each.

They've also decided that chopped fresh corn is tasty enough to take from The Hand.

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen
Happy anniversary to Molly!

Love it when a head hen decides to prioritise being a princess over the boring duties. :love:

Joburg
May 19, 2013

Fun Shoe
Talk about live prey! Our little buff Orpington cockerel caught this big toad yesterday and it took him a long time to figure out how to eat it.

Our duck mamas are doing really well with their ducklings despite some hungry Fish Crows hanging around all the time. (I ordered a fake dead crow to deter them but it’s delayed :()

And Penny the Penedesenca is doing great with hers too. I was really on the fence about her because she’s so high strung but she’s really patient with these chicks and she’s interested in the naked neck chicks that spend the day in the pen. I hope she will allow them to hang around her and learn how to free range.

Large Marge finally started weaning her giant chicks yesterday at 5-1/2 weeks. She’s such a fantastic mom!

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

Oh my god I'm dying

:kimchi:

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

Some pretty chickens there!

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Best chicken mums right there.

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

https://twitter.com/caenhillcc/status/1528017392890167301

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

Adrienne Broody.

freeedr
Feb 21, 2005

Was going to post that. My gosh

5er
Jun 1, 2000

You'll have to supply the Jurassic Park t-rex roar in your imaginations. Originally these chickens were plunked on my son's arms for a photo, but they rapidly migrated to his shoulders and began battling for dominance of his scalp.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

mahershalalhashbaz
Jul 22, 2021

by Pragmatica

i love hen

mahershalalhashbaz
Jul 22, 2021

by Pragmatica

i forgot to announce her birthday, but moose is now two years old! (and ~3 weeks)

moose is my jumbo who raises chicks that aren't hers (this is rare for a quail) and sleeps literally all the time. possibly because she's huge, she is completely uncoordinated and every time she gets excited about something she trips over her own feet and falls flat on her face. somehow she maintains her dignity despite this.

Joburg
May 19, 2013

Fun Shoe
I love her.

City of Glompton
Apr 21, 2014

Happy Birthday Moose! such a wonderful bird

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

5er posted:

You'll have to supply the Jurassic Park t-rex roar in your imaginations. Originally these chickens were plunked on my son's arms for a photo, but they rapidly migrated to his shoulders and began battling for dominance of his scalp.

Now take the same photo again in six months when they're all grown up. :v:

(That's such a good photo though, goddamn :allears:)

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen

Joburg posted:

I love her.

:yeah:

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

Moose is amazing!

I am not very confident about my current egg batch... the incubator I'm using has not been very stable, and those tiny eggs are so hard to candle. I guess we'll see what happens in a few days but I just don't know!!

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Happy Birthday Moose :love:

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

spookygonk posted:

Happy Birthday Moose :love:

She is magnificent beyond her years

5er posted:

City of Glompton
Apr 21, 2014

Lil' Pep introduced me to a chicken problem i've never encountered nor imagined. she had an ingrown feather on her head! i got it out, and she seems fine although she pooped on me during the process because she was struggling to get away at first

the good news is, she is growing back a lot of her feathers and i thinkin a few weeks she'll look more or less like a normal frizzle again

mahershalalhashbaz
Jul 22, 2021

by Pragmatica

moose thanks you all for the well wishes :h: at two, she has reached comfortable middle age for her kind. (although industrial farm standards say that two years is the age at which quail should just naturally drop dead from overwork :()

my cat is norris posted:

I am not very confident about my current egg batch... the incubator I'm using has not been very stable, and those tiny eggs are so hard to candle. I guess we'll see what happens in a few days but I just don't know!!
i hope this works out for you. candling is almost impossible the first time you do quail eggs, so don't despair! i thought my first batch had failed too - and then suddenly, chicks everywhere

City of Glompton posted:

Lil' Pep introduced me to a chicken problem i've never encountered nor imagined. she had an ingrown feather on her head!
oh no!! good job on fixing it, hopefully it doesn't happen again. lil' pep leads a vibrant but fraught existence

mahershalalhashbaz fucked around with this message at 01:57 on May 23, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

Imagined posted:

I honestly had no idea that chickens had so much personality and capacity for emotion before my wife convinced me that we should get the ones we have now. Every time I see their happy, impatient dance at the coop door when they see me coming to let them out, or watch them line up curiously behind me, chattering noisily, when I'm messing with something in the barn just in case it's food for them I experience the same feeling that I've heard people report when they see those videos of cows capering in the field after being released outdoors from months in the barn over-winter: "I didn't realize my food had emotions".

My brother's chickens finally developed noticeable personalities and it's neat. The head hen is very vocal. She is definitely in charge of the original flock of 4 3 and it shows. I've never given her food or treats but she'd sprint at me looking for treats from across the yard when she saw me.

They've got a bunch of ~8 week old layers that they have to keep separated from the 12 month olds. She, a RiR and intimidates their 8 week Polish roo. I don't know everything about chicken raising but it seems like letting him establish his flock of a dozen layers and letting him build confidence is probably a good thing. The flock of 3 gets kicked out of their area and free-ranged during the day and then the other flock is put into the 3's fenced area.

quote:

"I didn't realize my food had emotions".

Sometimes they don't. Food chickens seem to have 3 emotions: eating and content, really hungry, sleep to work up the energy to eat some more.

He's got a dozen Cornish Cross in a chicken tractor and everything people have said about home raising Cornish Cross meat birds seems to be true. It's hilarious and sad. They really do just lay on the feeder and eat. I guess the app, your do scratch around, because the grass is a bit shorter, but every bird I saw was either laying next to or letting on the feeder and just gorging themselves. He thinks it's a disgusting breed, like any non-factory owner should, and is looking for meat birds with less insanely freakish genetics for next year.

He's got a Muscovy that isn't old enough to look so god drat weird yet, and a regular ol' north american duck with the happy shaking tail feathers. Not sure if they're laying yet. 3 Indian Runner chicks in the brooder box right now. Gonna be an interesting duck flock mix.