Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Robobot posted:

Unpopular opinion: I kinda like Teslas. I think they’re kinda cool in that people are allowed to buy and operate concept cars with unproven technology.

Rich people aren't people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

Robobot posted:

Unpopular opinion: I kinda like Teslas. I think they’re kinda cool in that people are allowed to buy and operate concept cars with unproven technology. In about 15 years I bet the cars are gonna be really good. A few dead drivers is a small price to pay for a future with Johnny Cabs and all cars able to go 0-60 in 4 seconds.

I think Tesla does deserve credit for really forcing the issue with the auto industry migrating to electric cars.

I don’t particularly like Elon Musk but it is very hard for even his detractors to deny that he has a talent for fundraising and promotion. So I think Elon Musk should get a lot of credit for automakers’ move from the ICE -> electric.

silence_kit has a new favorite as of 14:33 on May 18, 2022

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Pushing any kind of automobiles is a horrible thing to do, and electric cars are on the whole not sustainable anyway.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
No he has a talent for buying things with infinite money and then demanding praise for being a poo poo head. Remember him not giving money to the UN to solve world hunger, or the time he called someone rescuing kids from a tunnel a peado. Or the time he bought the title of "inventor" at Tesla despite being nothing of the kind.

The man needs no accolades and if almost anyone else on the planet had that much money they'd find better uses for it.

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

Wasn't the world hunger thing a snarky tweet from the UN's twitter about how they'd solve world hunger with Musk's money so he asked them what their plan was?

Did they actually send him one?

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Josef bugman posted:

The man needs no accolades and if almost anyone else on the planet had that much money they'd find better uses for it.

yeah like half the users on this forum who would spend it on obscure Japanese manga and mini games consoles, lmao

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Guyver posted:

Wasn't the world hunger thing a snarky tweet from the UN's twitter about how they'd solve world hunger with Musk's money so he asked them what their plan was?

Did they actually send him one?

Well to end world hunger you need to :guillotine: all multi-millionaires, and if any new ones pop up, :guillotine: them as well. I don't know if that was in their plan but they could hardly say it.

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost
Electric cars are not a perfect technology, and they aren’t the best option for improving the environment (best option—a Return to the Stone Age) but they would be responsible for greatly reducing carbon emissions, if they can get the cost down.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Musk is a terrible human being in a few generations of garbage human beings, and also he is one of the dumbest motherfuckers in the public sphere. Maybe it's just because he owns so many technology companies and the contrast between their implied brain trust and his utter stupidity makes him appear particularly dumb? Like if you've ever had an "idea guy" friend you know the kind of stupid I'm talking about

But then again he makes a lot of garbage people angry so it is impossible to say whether he is good or bad

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

silence_kit posted:

Electric cars are not a perfect technology, and they aren’t the best option for improving the environment (best option—a Return to the Stone Age) but they would be responsible for greatly reducing carbon emissions in wealthy countries, if they can get the price down.

Best option is public transit. But even then cables are better than batteries. And anyway we don't have enough batteries to go around to make much of an impact by replacing private otto or diesel automobiles with private battery automobiles, especially since normal people will "have to"* keep driving cars that are old, and are getting older all the time.

*) Because there's no public transit, and/or because they're asses.

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

Josef bugman posted:

I would never go on the stump for Elon Musk in real life, in broader society. He certainly does get too much credit for his work.

But I'm not really doing that--I'm making a post on the SomethingAwful message boards. Posters here are not really representative of broader society. Posters here have very strange, unpopular views on society, morality, economics, etc. compared to normal people in real life.

For example, on these message boards, Elon Musk deserves absolutely zero credit for anything that he does, which totally flies in the face of reason. He's really a great promoter and fundraiser, and that fact is really hard to deny even if you really don't like him very much at all.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Nothing in society is representative of broader society. Broader society is something that changes and melds and alters so much that you are never going to be able to find a good representation of it. That old saying about how "the map is not the territory" applies just as much to human as physical geography.

What does he raise funds for and is it good? If I raise funds for feeding people into a woodchipper then, however good I am at that promotion, I am a monster. If I am fundraising to give myself more money when I have enough to feed everyone on the planet then I am a monster.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
it's silence_kit you don't really have to try and make sense of their posts

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

I guess it really depends on who's going in the wood chipper.

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

Robobot posted:

Unpopular opinion: I kinda like Teslas. I think they’re kinda cool in that people are allowed to buy and operate concept cars with unproven technology. In about 15 years I bet the cars are gonna be really good. A few dead drivers is a small price to pay for a future with Johnny Cabs and all cars able to go 0-60 in 4 seconds.

You haven't seen the YOSPOS thread where the Tesla worker describes how... just plain bad their processes and tech are, by any chance?

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

silence_kit posted:

For example, on these message boards, Elon Musk deserves absolutely zero credit for anything that he does, which totally flies in the face of reason. He's really a great promoter and fundraiser, and that fact is really hard to deny even if you really don't like him very much at all.

Now you've done it. Your loathing of Elon isn't quite 100% pure, therefore you must love him, and all billionaires, and Trump. Prepare to receive the Apu "weird nerds" meme.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Powered Descent posted:

Now you've done it. Your loathing of Elon isn't quite 100% pure, therefore you must love him, and all billionaires, and Trump. Prepare to receive the Apu "weird nerds" meme.

hmmm silence_kit's posts are definitely nerdy, but this one is way weirder

alexandriao posted:

You haven't seen the YOSPOS thread where the Tesla worker describes how... just plain bad their processes and tech are, by any chance?

I spoke to a couple people who work in Sparks and they say it does indeed suck

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Cutest tumor in all of Oncology!
I only trust large corporate cars, Teslas, despite being a real company, feel like a plucky indie studio by comparison. And I hate that.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

silence_kit posted:

I would never go on the stump for Elon Musk in real life, in broader society. He certainly does get too much credit for his work.

But I'm not really doing that--I'm making a post on the SomethingAwful message boards. Posters here are not really representative of broader society. Posters here have very strange, unpopular views on society, morality, economics, etc. compared to normal people in real life.

yeah i don't like him and the people that praise him are usually low IQ types but i don't think he's talentless or stupid

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018
Personally I think I would be a better billionaire than Musk because I would buy things I want instead of him buying things he wants.

For instance, I would have bought like a whole bunch of pot and whiskey instead of Twitter. Or I’d build a giant futuristic castle full of arcades, go carts, put-put golf, and batting cages instead of digging a hole and filling it with cars in the desert.

You know, stuff like that.

AcidCat
Feb 10, 2005

Robobot posted:

Or I’d build a giant futuristic castle full of arcades, go carts, put-put golf, and batting cages

I am sold on this idea, though I'd do a bowling alley instead of batting cages.

Anyway my PHUO is that I have no opinion at all on Elon Musk, don't care one way or the other.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

One thing to keep in mind with Musk is that much of his success is due to him being a shameless welfare sponge

SpaceX was founded in partnership with in-q-tel and relies on government contracts

Tesla runs in the red every year except for government subsidies and carbon offsets

Starlink exists solely to soak up rural broadband subsidies

The rest is just capital speculation and vulturing the work of others (the above three are also the result of vulturing but they don't make money)

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

Elon Talk is boring because it's not like there are any unsolved cases about him. His success can easily shown to be a consequence of racist slave owner inheritance, because with the amount of money he has, he can always recover no matter how big he fucks it up. Like most capitalists in the modern age, he is too big to fail and his successful ideas are 99.9999999% of the time, those of the people that he employs and rebrands as his own.

The only unique thing is that he doesn't seem to have a PR branding team managing his twitter account, and that he has a penchant for ideas that are ridiculously bad.

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018
Basically a modern day Edison!

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

silence_kit posted:

some people are normal and cool. but there's a whole load of narcissistic, obsessive weirdos

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀
You guys are craaazy with a capital C! Elon Musk is one of the most brilliant engineers we've ever seen, in history! He invented electric cars and then put a car in space, did you see that? He's like iron man, he's a wild card, he does whatever he wants baby and I love him! he is a genius and he will save the world for us!!

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...

Collapsing Farts posted:

You guys are craaazy with a capital C! Elon Musk is one of the most brilliant engineers we've ever seen, in history! He invented electric cars and then put a car in space, did you see that? He's like iron man, he's a wild card, he does whatever he wants baby and I love him! he is a genius and he will save the world for us!!

Never seen a better post/username combo.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Shibawanko posted:

some people are normal and cool. but there's a whole load of narcissistic, obsessive weirdos
Are more of them on General Bullshit or on C-Spam?

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

They should put The Drew Carey Show on a streaming service. I think if young people discovered The Drew Carey Show, they'd really love Mimi. There'd be a lot of of Mimi fanart, people would be calling Mimi "iconic", it would be great.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Drew Carey show was undeniably great. I'd pay actual money for the chance to hear "Cleveland rocks" again on TV

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018

Gaius Marius posted:

Drew Carey show was undeniably great. I'd pay actual money for the chance to hear "Cleveland rocks" again on TV

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oKDjis1fg8E

That'll be $5 please.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.
Drew Carey was one of those shows I never watched, and then decided to watch and saw an incredibly awesome episode, and so continued to watch except every single episode I saw after the good one was mediocre.

Edit: but I do love their live shows, their gimmick shows. loving it's time to do something interesting with the medium!

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I'm sorry all I have is :10bux:

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦
Musk is the richest man and still really desperate to be an internet celebrity, and doing it very badly. It's terrible. I've seen his tweets about why he supports republicans etc. There's a bunch of things wrong with him.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Him dating and having a kid with Grimes was weird

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Of course the real problem is with the capitalist system, and the speculative stock market, that allowed Musk to do these things. Tesla has never produced anything that would warrant the stock price, it's all speculation. Elon knows that, so he must be out there, being the real Tony Stark, to keep the stock up, based not on production, but his cult of personality.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Gaius Marius posted:

Him dating and having a kid with Grimes was weird

I know next to nothing about Grimes, but if a billionaire wanted me to gently caress them I'd prolly do it.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

doverhog posted:

Musk is the richest man and still really desperate to be an internet celebrity, and doing it very badly. It's terrible. I've seen his tweets about why he supports republicans etc. There's a bunch of things wrong with him.

The news source that broke the sexual harassment story said they reached out to Musk for a comment like three hours before Musk tweeted "I've become a Republican, and now the fake news media will make up attack stories against me because I'm now a Republican."

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

He's weird even compared to Zuckerberg. He just wants to be cool so bad but he can't even do it with more money than anyone in the world

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Flight attendant or massage therapist on a private plane that also will gently caress you is a real job, and sex work is work. Outrage at that reality should be directed at the capitalist system in which informed consent is often impossible, on purpose, because it benefits capital to exploit workers.

Musk is stupid enough that he seems to have hosed up even that.