Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.
I haven't found any truly great Mexican in London, not for lack of trying either. Best meal I had was at Quinta, in Kensington, which is Salvadorean. However, that was partly a case of it being a small, intimate place that was authentic and had friendly service. We were also the only cover all evening (except a steady stream of Deliveroos). The food was good, but not fully fantastic, and also I didn't really rate their flagship dish (pupusas).

I wouldn't really recommend El Pastor for a slap up, sit down meal if that's what you are after either. Food is really tasty, but it's expensive and portions aren't exactly generous. Service is also not great, place generally rammed, but worst of all, most of the seating is on tiny, tiny tables on high stools. It's awkward as hell. On reflection it's got to be among the worst seating arrangements in a restaurant I've ever been to. Food truck vibe without the food truck prices.

Honestly, all the best Mexican food I've had in London has been from trucks or market stalls.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

The_Doctor posted:

Mexican is something we still do very poorly at. I’m not sure if the UK just can’t get the ingredients, or we just don’t try hard enough, but every time I’ve tried a place in London, it’s been bad. I’d accept either proper Mexican or tex-mex.

Look at this delicious chimichanga I had in the US. I want that here, and it honestly shouldn’t be a chore to find.

Tbh we just make our own at Gin Towers. Some ingredients are indeed tricky (the one and only place in the UK that made Mexican-style cheese closed down some years ago for instance) but we could seriously do better.
Hm and now I should make chimichangas.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
Is Benito's a rebrand of Benito's Hat? Definitely most of the Benito Hat locations are gone but I think Benitos is in the same spot by Oxford Circus.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
I had dinner at Four Seasons in Chinatown, and it was amazing. Beef brisket on crispy noodles, one of my favourite dishes ever. :discourse:

midori-a-gogo
Feb 26, 2006

feeling a bit green
La Chingada in Surrey Quays and Homies on Donkeys in Walthamstow are both really good for authentic Mexican tacos.

I would also love for there to be somewhere good for getting a fishbowl-sized frozen margarita with chimichangas but just going to have to accept that's just not London's lane.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

The_Doctor posted:

I had dinner at Four Seasons in Chinatown, and it was amazing. Beef brisket on crispy noodles, one of my favourite dishes ever. :discourse:

That sounds and looks delicious

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
I first had it in Poons on Leicester Street when I was about 3 years old, and they still served it up for years even when it disappeared from the menu. Then the Poons empire shuttered, and I never saw it again on other restaurant menus for years.

HK Diner had it, then they closed. Now I’ve found it at Four Seasons on Wardour St, and it’s amazing. Big fatty bits of braised/stewed beef brisket in a thick delicious sauce. On the menu it comes in a noodle soup, but I ask for crispy noodle, and they do it no issue. It’s so good, and a real comfort food for me.

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice
'Noodle Bar' on Cranbourn street will probably do it too. I have their stewed beef noodle soup all the time and the meat looks very similar. I am sure they'd also do crispy noodles. (I think it's literally call Noodle Bar, it's the place with orange writing on a black awning.)

I will check out your place though as it looks incredible. I try to eat veggie most of the time but... stuff like this makes me crumble.

reality_groove
Dec 27, 2007

Just returning to Mexican briefly, I would agree that the El Pastor London Bridge branch is not ideal, would probably choose the Kings Cross one for a sit-down meal. Haven't tried their Soho branch. They used to also have an arch at Maltby Street that was great for a taco and a beer but hasn't reopened since lockdown. Ironically I think they used to sell their mexican cheese along with tortillas and other ingredients there. Santo Remedio is nice, their barbacoa lamb shank is delightful and they do a great marg. Quite expensive though. Mestizo near Euston I remember being fun, they do a Thursday beer and tacos dance night.

I haven't found good tex-mex anwhere. Seems to be a real blindspot for some reason.

Does anyone have any opinions on seafood boil restaurants. Pelican State, Claw & Hammer etc. I wouldn't mind a giant plate of seafood soon.

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice

The_Doctor posted:

I first had it in Poons on Leicester Street when I was about 3 years old, and they still served it up for years even when it disappeared from the menu. Then the Poons empire shuttered, and I never saw it again on other restaurant menus for years.

HK Diner had it, then they closed. Now I’ve found it at Four Seasons on Wardour St, and it’s amazing. Big fatty bits of braised/stewed beef brisket in a thick delicious sauce. On the menu it comes in a noodle soup, but I ask for crispy noodle, and they do it no issue. It’s so good, and a real comfort food for me.

Gonna try and get your dish as a pre-film meal tonight. Exciiiited

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Squibsy posted:

Gonna try and get your dish as a pre-film meal tonight. Exciiiited

Excited for you! :D

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

Is there anywhere good for a quick meal around the Emirates Stadium?

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice

BizarroAzrael posted:

Is there anywhere good for a quick meal around the Emirates Stadium?

I know of two places, Oa Com Tam is a Vietnamese place that I had a great meal at one time. Xi'An Impression is a super specific regional Chinese cuisine that is quite unlike anything else I have had. My cousin loves that place and has taken me there a few times

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice

The_Doctor posted:

Excited for you! :D

It was really good! The waiter was pretty mystified by my order but the kitchen got it just fine and made me something that looked exactly like yours. It was very satisfying :D

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Squibsy posted:

It was really good! The waiter was pretty mystified by my order but the kitchen got it just fine and made me something that looked exactly like yours. It was very satisfying :D

Some of the wait staff know what you mean, and some don’t, but the kitchen absolutely gets it. Glad you liked it!

reality_groove
Dec 27, 2007

My in-laws are coming over from America and I need to find a restaurant for a meal to celebrate my MIL's retirement. Preferably family-style italian (but open to other cuisines) that's relatively affordable but still fancy enough in ambiance and service that it feels like a special occasion.

Any ideas?

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO
Zedel is French rather than Italian, but is a great environment, great food, and was good value last I went (pre-pandemic)

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Zedel has gone up in price a little (their previously £20 Formule is now £27!)

Ciao Bella on Lamb’s Conduit St is very good Italian (if you’re committed to that), and fairly reasonable, but might not have that upmarket wow factor that Zedel definitely has.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

Any takes on Figo or Haugen at Stratford?

reality_groove
Dec 27, 2007

reality_groove posted:

My in-laws are coming over from America and I need to find a restaurant for a meal to celebrate my MIL's retirement. Preferably family-style italian (but open to other cuisines) that's relatively affordable but still fancy enough in ambiance and service that it feels like a special occasion.

Any ideas?

We ended up going to Ffiona's in Kensington which does a pretty nice traditional British menu. Chicken kiev, fish and chips, sticky toffee pudding etc. I had a steak that was better than I was expecting. Place is cosy and the staff are friendly. Don't know if I'd go back too often but it was a fun atmosphere to take out-of-towners to.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

I think Chilango Spittlefields is now a Tortilla, strict downgrade imo

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Chipotle good if you can find one. I only know the two in the west end.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

The_Doctor posted:

Chipotle good if you can find one. I only know the two in the west end.

Saw the one I used to go to by Oxford Circus is gone now. Think TCR is still going.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

TCR and Cecil Court/St Martin’s Lane, and apparently there’s some in the city too.

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice
I quite like DF Tacos :kiddo:

Then again I also like lots of other 'Mexican' places that get pilloried

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

My dude, head to North America and try Mexican/Tex-Mex food there. Then you’ll be disappointed over here forever.

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice
I mean, I have. It was good but it doesn't seem that different.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Ok, I’ve found out about a couple of places in London that do birria tacos, so I’ll have to give them a go soon. One’s a stall in Camden Market called Meat Head Mexican, so hours can be funky. The other is on Edgware Road, and is called Birria Taco. They do a full menu, including birria ramen! That one is definitely getting a visit soon. :dance:

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

Went to the new Flatiron by Waterloo last week, still great, and they give you brown butter ice cream on the way out. Don't know if that's permanent.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

They’ve done free ice cream for as long as I can remember, but brown butter seems above and beyond!

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO
Ooh, right by the office, lovely

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

Remember offices?

I just ate lunch at Homeslice in The City, pretty good but it's a shame there's such limited choice for single slice. Suppose I could get the 20" wagyu and ask for what's left wrapped up.

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice

tarbrush posted:

Ooh, right by the office, lovely

It's right near mine too. I dropped in back in... May I guess? Just before I started my summer off. Was great. I was sad when the Byron in the same premises closed as that place got me through the first lockdown, being the only consistently open joint around. But this is a more than worthy (and considerably pricier) replacement.

Kaiho
Dec 2, 2004

Well gently caress these people

https://london.eater.com/23349045/sonora-taqueria-legal-threat-trademark-taqueria-restaurant-notting-hill

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Lmao hopefully they've pissed an awful lot of money against the wall on legal fees only to be told "gently caress off whitey, you can't trademark Spanish."

Kaiho
Dec 2, 2004

Well they've got the Essex case in the bag already...

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

Pizza Union is really good for the cheap, quick side of things, and you don't even need to dismiss the possibility of sexual congress with people you take there.

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

+1 Pizza Union - it's quite good.

w4ddl3d33
Sep 30, 2022

BIKE HARDER, YOUNG BLOOD
you can't bring up pizza in london without bringing up lost boys pizza in camden, i know of at least three people who eat there on a weekly basis, it's that good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

Kaiho posted:

Well they've got the Essex case in the bag already...

I actually went to the Taco Ria place in Southend a couple of times. All things considered, it was decent. Better than most other attempts at Mexican food around here. Kinda retrospectively pisses me off if a lengthy legal battle with these wankers helped to kill the place off relatively quickly.