Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

The rule was there to ostensibly prevent the eternal Kickstarter where as soon as you got the money from one you had to immediately start another to pay for shipping and taxes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

jivjov posted:

I don't even know why they even pretended to have that rule at all. Best I could tell, it was completely ignored. More projects means more 10% cuts for KS

There was like one or two companies that did get campaigns taken down around the time of that rule change, but after that it was seemingly abandoned (and obviously ignored for big brands like CMON).

Parkreiner
Oct 29, 2011

Echophonic posted:

Monsterhearts: Second Skins.

Whooooaaaaaa immense blast from the past there. I completely forgot that didn't actually finish because my group played a bunch with the playtest versions. Shame.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
I found the concept behind Space Kraken pretty intriguing, and a rough draft (they call it a beta, but the spelling and grammar mistakes say rough draft) digital rulebook was released.

Skimming the rulebook can be summed up as:

Total death of interest. I'm not looking for a job making sense of a poorly-edited mess, thanks.

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Scale75 kickstarter is up

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/scale75/scalecolor-artist-smooth-acrylic-paints-2

I like it but idk how I feel about metal tubes...

Me: getting back into mini painting, need to augment my paints, don't want to buy reaper anymore.

This ks: you poor unfortunate soul.

So tempted to drop 400 freaking euros.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

NinjaDebugger posted:

Me: getting back into mini painting, need to augment my paints, don't want to buy reaper anymore.

This ks: you poor unfortunate soul.

So tempted to drop 400 freaking euros.

I'm just doing the 20$ package because I want the $150 package but can't really justify it right now, maybe I'll get the basic ink colors

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Magnetic North posted:

hehe... he he he he Ha ha Ha Ha.... BWAA HA HA HA HA... hoooo *wipes tear from eye*

Seriously though it's probably the same thing that happened to TMG. Maybe the bull market was buoying a lot of these smallish publishers.

What happened to TMG?

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

FirstAidKite posted:

What happened to TMG?

https://www.dicebreaker.com/companies/tasty-minstrel-games/news/tasty-minstrel-games-virtual-bankruptcy They went into something like corporate suspended animation almost a year ago now. The signs were there much earlier.

On the plus side, I stumbled across a copy of Yokohama like a week before :whatup: On the downside, I still haven't played that copy :negative:

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
I just got an advert for The Queen’s Dilemma, sequel to the Kings Dilemma, coming soon to KS. In the comments, the makers say they’re still trying to sort out if you’ll be able to buy King’s Dilemma at the same time.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

Magnetic North posted:

hehe... he he he he Ha ha Ha Ha.... BWAA HA HA HA HA... hoooo *wipes tear from eye*

Seriously though it's probably the same thing that happened to TMG. Maybe the bull market was buoying a lot of these smallish publishers.

Doubt it. Making new crowdfunding campaigns to keep the lights on because you didn’t make enough from the last crowdfunding campaign is just inability to,properly manage a business and doomed to failure. It’s like getting credit cards to pay off credit cards you are behind on.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
You can play Ponzi Scheme to simulate that feeling :v:

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008
Cool, DHL claims to have delivered my Redgrass wet palette, but there’s definitely no package here (and I know it didn’t get porch-pirated, I have cameras). loving DHL.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

Arcsech posted:

Cool, DHL claims to have delivered my Redgrass wet palette, but there’s definitely no package here (and I know it didn’t get porch-pirated, I have cameras). loving DHL.

DHL and FedEx are in a race to the bottom for the level of immediate annoyance I feel when I see someone used them to ship anything.

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

Arcsech posted:

This got delivered today. Tracking still says it was delivered yesterday. :iiam:

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Echophonic posted:

DHL and FedEx are in a race to the bottom for the level of immediate annoyance I feel when I see someone used them to ship anything.
I'm getting my Steam Deck soon and Valve foolishly ships the thing in it's own box (with branding all over it), so I'm hoping I avoid being another reddit story of "the Fedex guy stole my Steam Deck and delivered an empty box."

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

JazzFlight posted:

I'm getting my Steam Deck soon and Valve foolishly ships the thing in it's own box (with branding all over it), so I'm hoping I avoid being another reddit story of "the Fedex guy stole my Steam Deck and delivered an empty box."

But they'll mark it delivered and FedEx won't do a drat thing. I had a hundred dollar booze order I shipped to a friend's place vanish into the ether, but was "delivered" so FedEx basically told me to gently caress off. Lucky I went for the upsell shipping insurance, so I was only only the 30 bucks I paid for shipping instead of the full 140.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Queen’s Dilemma pre-launch is up.

Ogdred Weary
Jul 1, 2007

A is for Amy who fell down the stairs
After a lot of deliberation and research, I've decided to go all-in on Anunnaki: Dawn of the Gods. The designers are great and the price is fairly reasonable.

Wish me luck

fallingdownjoe
Mar 16, 2007

Please love me
In case anyone has seen it and is considering buying dice, I want to warn people off the Cutting Words Dice Sets by Kraken Dice. Their last one was massive, but the dice that they actually shipped out were nothing like the promo images they used - instead of clear dice with wisps of bright colour, most people got cloudy, dull dice. They were also massively delayed (even before the pandemic hit) but I guess a certain amount of that can be expected. What's not to be expected was their attitude to people who complained that they'd been sent the wrong dice, or that they'd been lost in the post: the comments section and Twitter were full of people saying that they were flatly ignored, or told that it was tough luck.

Naturally they're now using another account for this new KS, but the comment section is full of previous backers warning off new parties. Kraken, being the upstanding and honest company they are, flagged a lot for review and claimed it was someone else, but now have gone radio silent when people pointed out that only the KS creator could report comments.

The dice I got from their first KS were so ugly I ended up never using them and I think they ended up getting thrown away in a house move - I've found nicer things in assorted game shop dice bins. So please, if you were considering getting involved, be aware that they're not exactly a company with a great track record.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Apparently kickstarter now hides any comments from people who cancel their pledges. It used to be that the message would be hidden but you could click it to view it. Now it doesn't even let you view it so any negative comments or concerns from cancelled backers can't be read by any other backer. That's dumb.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

lol that's YouTube Hiding The Negative Value levels of dumb.
Y'all don't think someone will go on a massive rant on Reddit and Streisand Effect the hell out of the issues on individual KSers as they come up.

Anyway I've been job hunting/having PC issues so haven't done a proper round up in a bit

Arcs launches today I think, and that is going to be worth everybodies time to check out some previews.

Castles of Burgundy Deluxe is going to hit Gamefound this week as well, and I can't even begin to describe what a stupid loving component the 3D castle is going to be.
"Here is a 3D castle that will obscure you're line of sight of the player board. Also here are 10 of them - this will raise the price"
Everything else about it looks fantastic. That castle does not need to exist or be that tall.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Infinitum posted:

Castles of Burgundy...does not need to exist.

every Feld game is bad.

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)

FirstAidKite posted:

Apparently kickstarter now hides any comments from people who cancel their pledges. It used to be that the message would be hidden but you could click it to view it. Now it doesn't even let you view it so any negative comments or concerns from cancelled backers can't be read by any other backer. That's dumb.

There is a legit need for hiding some of these. KS doesn't let you cancel backers pledges, so there are some backers that just get on the comment section and abuse project creators and basically poo poo all over everything. I am not talking about legitimate complaints here but people just being crazy. It would be better if KS just let creators drop people's pledges but this is apparently the compromise they came up with instead.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Fate Accomplice posted:

every Feld game is bad.

Not really?

But they're definitely not to everyone's taste.

I'd agree that CoB deluxe is completely unnecessary, and I say that as someone who enjoys playing CoB more or less.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Arcs is live
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/2074786394/arcs

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

nesbit37 posted:

There is a legit need for hiding some of these. KS doesn't let you cancel backers pledges, so there are some backers that just get on the comment section and abuse project creators and basically poo poo all over everything. I am not talking about legitimate complaints here but people just being crazy. It would be better if KS just let creators drop people's pledges but this is apparently the compromise they came up with instead.

Pretty sure they do let you cancel backer pledges. I've seen a few different cases where people managing kickstarters have had to remove backers who were being a problem in the comments section. They also have ways to report various backers as an entirely separate system now specifically designed for dealing with abusive comments.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

Infinitum posted:

Castles of Burgundy Deluxe is going to hit Gamefound this week as well, and I can't even begin to describe what a stupid loving component the 3D castle is going to be.
"Here is a 3D castle that will obscure you're line of sight of the player board. Also here are 10 of them - this will raise the price"
Everything else about it looks fantastic. That castle does not need to exist or be that tall.

Sixteen, I think.

Yeah, it's dumb. Up until that point it was looking like it was gonna be a single castle as I dunno, a first player marker or something, but no, every castle tile gets a giant unnecessary mini. Woo. Oh well, I got rid of my copy of CoB because I just wasn't playing it, so I'm not the audience here, even though I do think the rest of what they're doing would make it a lot nicer to play.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
Put vital info in the Kickstarter campaign page you fucks. Im on mobile and I'm going to read and reread and search and double-check all the images before I look at the loving video to learn the loving player count.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
It's 3-4.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Castles of Burgundy is live
https://gamefound.com/projects/awaken-realms/castles-of-burgundy-special-edition

There is a No Miniatures pledge, which is probably the best route to go if you're backing.

Seriously click through and look at the stupid loving thing

---------

Ra is also closing soon as a reminder
https://gamefound.com/projects/25th-century-games/ra

90s Cringe Rock posted:

Put vital info in the Kickstarter campaign page you fucks. Im on mobile and I'm going to read and reread and search and double-check all the images before I look at the loving video to learn the loving player count.

The estimated shipping costs as an external file is a bit egregious

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)

FirstAidKite posted:

Pretty sure they do let you cancel backer pledges. I've seen a few different cases where people managing kickstarters have had to remove backers who were being a problem in the comments section. They also have ways to report various backers as an entirely separate system now specifically designed for dealing with abusive comments.

I've run 3 kickstarters, you can't do it. You can complain to Kickstarter but most of the time they don't take action.

Redundant
Sep 24, 2011

Even robots have feelings!
I'm always tempted by Cole's games but I already have Root and Pax Rug which don't get enough play time. I figure I can wait on this one until the hype settles and then make a decision from there. I did the same thing with Oath and not picking it up seems like the right decision in hindsight.

I am however extremely tempted to pick up The Queen's Dilemma. TKD sounded fascinating, if TQD is a refinement on that I could definitely be swayed. I still might just wait for a retail release though.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

War of Whispers needs a War of Shouts version to compete with them again :hmmyes:

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?

Redundant posted:

I'm always tempted by Cole's games but I already have Root and Pax Rug which don't get enough play time. I figure I can wait on this one until the hype settles and then make a decision from there. I did the same thing with Oath and not picking it up seems like the right decision in hindsight.

I am however extremely tempted to pick up The Queen's Dilemma. TKD sounded fascinating, if TQD is a refinement on that I could definitely be swayed. I still might just wait for a retail release though.

I actually think Arcs will replace Oath for me. I like things having endings. Arcs does, Oath doesn't -- not really. And the group I played Oath with already started feeling Oath fatigue about 4 sessions in.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

nesbit37 posted:

I've run 3 kickstarters, you can't do it. You can complain to Kickstarter but most of the time they don't take action.

The kraken dice kickstarter spoken of earlier had problems with the creator specifically reporting messages that were critical of them and those messages all got temporarily replaced with a message about those comments being flagged and pending review. The comments had the creator saying they weren't the ones who reported the comments but the other comments were saying that the creator is the only one with the power to do that. From what I looked up, the change to comments from cancelled backers happened this month while there was an update last month for handling reporting and flagging abusive comments.

My only other experience with this is an older kickstarter that failed where the creator was being doxxed in her comments and it took a fair amount of complaining before anything was done and that wasn't something that would have been fixed by hiding comments from cancelled backers.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

90s Cringe Rock posted:

There should never be any information in the video that is not also on the campaign page. I can't be the only one who never watches the stupid things at all.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006

malkav11 posted:

There should never be any information in the video that is not also on the campaign page. I can't be the only one who never watches the stupid things at all.
It was, at least, on the preview image for the video. I didn't have to click play and watch it.

The game looks cool so I've got to find something to be angry about.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Nov 2023 estimated fulfillment

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Watching kickstarter videos is for rubes. Just tell me in plain text or a helpful graphic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006

Lord_Hambrose posted:

Watching kickstarter videos is for rubes. Just tell me in plain text or a helpful graphic.
That helpful graphic had better have plain text as well, if there's anything important there.