Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
I think the closest real-world analogue to Measurehead is Hoteps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule
it says so much about DE that this weirdo minor antagonist has this much thought put into his every detail. I didn't even notice the union flag as his background until now.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Killed a Girl in 96 posted:

No one would listen to a fat Lorry driver who waggles his chin at immigrants, or a sniveling cryptofascist who doesn't even have the spine to admit his own beliefs.

im not a historologist or anything but recent events leave me unconvinced of these claims. luckily there are no podcasts in revachol.

Tarezax posted:

for sure, this is what he is

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008
i dont care how much probation i get capital letters are for squares hehe im so laid back an nice please read my low effort shitposts about the arab spring

thanxs!!!

Tarezax posted:

That or Black Israelites, yeah. Maybe that weirdo with the Egypt-themed cult compound, can't remember if he was hotep or hotep-adjacent.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

I think that Measurehead is a very interesting character. Why make one of the most important members of the union a giant racist? Why include him at all?

To me, Measurehead is a statement about systemic power trumping personal morality. There is no question as to how despicable his Ideology is, but his role within the union makes it irrelevant. Whatever hatred he holds in his heart, he serves a system that can never grant power to that hatred. When he acts it forwards the goals of the union not fascism.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

Cpt_Obvious posted:

I think that Measurehead is a very interesting character. Why make one of the most important members of the union a giant racist? Why include him at all?

To me, Measurehead is a statement about systemic power trumping personal morality. There is no question as to how despicable his Ideology is, but his role within the union makes it irrelevant. Whatever hatred he holds in his heart, he serves a system that can never grant power to that hatred. When he acts it forwards the goals of the union not fascism.

I think the point at least is that you can have (union) solidarity without amity

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Cpt_Obvious posted:

IMO The problem with Measurehead's goal is that there's nobody to recruit. You're not going to convince the honkeys that you're racially superior to them, so his only access to power is through the union. As long as he acts on behalf of the union, his impotent race science really has no impact on anything which is why he has the red and white union colors in his profile similar to titus

Measureheads union flag is all kinds of hosed up, but it's there. The blue and white of his fascist ideology is there too, but ultimately overshadowed by his union loyalties. Meanwhile, gary gets that fancy fascist halo:

The same halo that harry gets after the fascist vision quest:

It's an interesting artistic choice.

I never noticed the backgrounds, but now that you've pointed it out, I did notice that Evrart's union flag is upside down.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Heath posted:

I never noticed the backgrounds, but now that you've pointed it out, I did notice that Evrart's union flag is upside down.

Way back in the thread somewhere there was at least one really good post someone wrote up analysing all the backgrounds and discussing their symbolism. If you can find it it’s really interesting.

FPyat
Jan 17, 2020
Has DE resonated with South Korean players? Personally, I found that the way the Cold War hangs over Korean history and politics made Revachol feel like a very familiar place.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Tarezax posted:

I don't think the devs have ever confirmed it, but a lot of people seem to think he was inspired by a specific Twitter weirdo called Hakan who had a thing for extremely esoteric race theory

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Wafflecopper posted:

Way back in the thread somewhere there was at least one really good post someone wrote up analysing all the backgrounds and discussing their symbolism. If you can find it it’s really interesting.

There was some great stuff I found starting here: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3899418&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=139#post499768457

Dead gay comedy forums starts it off, but there's a ton of great stuff on that page and the following.

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008
i dont care how much probation i get capital letters are for squares hehe im so laid back an nice please read my low effort shitposts about the arab spring

thanxs!!!

FPyat posted:

Has DE resonated with South Korean players? Personally, I found that the way the Cold War hangs over Korean history and politics made Revachol feel like a very familiar place.

I felt Revachol *extremely* relatable as a Chilean, except for the bit about it formerly ruling the world. I think most players from Got-hosed-over-by-the-cold-war Gang countries will be able to relate.

repiv posted:

I don't think the devs have ever confirmed it, but a lot of people seem to think he was inspired by a specific Twitter weirdo called Hakan who had a thing for extremely esoteric race theory

I don't discard the possibility of Measurehead being inspired by a single race weirdo, but I took him more as a general parody of an extremely common type of racist you will inevitably find in droves if you're Too Online. I remember being halfway through his explanation of the Advanced Racist Lore and thinking "bet this guy posts on the Paradox forums"

Claes Oldenburger
Apr 23, 2010

Metal magician!
:black101:

Pulcinella posted:

The Collectors Edition is finally starting to ship (after being announced about a year and a half ago).
https://mobile.twitter.com/iam8bit/status/1526291430049734657

The box looks like more of a shoebox and the statue looks shittier than the one pictured way back in the original announcement (and it’s definitely not hand painted). I will be glad to have a physical copy of the art book, though I hope the images in it are in a higher resolution than the digital version.

This is a bummer because I also waited a year and a half for the origami vinyl and it ended up being more beautiful than I expected.

christmas boots posted:

Not sure if this was shared before, but here's a video of Kurvtiz talking about making the game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9X0-W5erEXw

I find him so interesting because of both him selling the ferrari (previously Dolph Lundgrens) and his line "My friend, we have failed at so many things, let us also fail at making a video game."

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES
i love all of the interviews with robert kurvitz that i've found, but there's not as many as i thought there'd be. this one is also good (they're all good tho, it's also just interesting cause it's from before the game came out)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iMsgs5viEbg

drat i want that art book, i found the 190 page digital art book recently on reddit after googling it and it's actually really impressive, Robert Kurvitz and Alexander Rostov both wrote about the art at length which is interesting, but there's also just tons of really cool mediumish** resolution concept art and 3d renders of areas and characters with no textures, which i love to see.

imhotep fucked around with this message at 07:52 on May 21, 2022

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

(he's got a good thing going)
I love that it looks like you've gained money when you're standing near Mega Rich Light Bending Guy. A lesser developer might have missed the opportunity. It works as a physics/econ joke, but it also helps you understand what talking to capital feels like. It's a less subtle version of your interactions with Joyce.

**this might be my most coherent outfit so far:

Cheston fucked around with this message at 08:24 on May 20, 2022

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
I begged every single NPC for money whenever the opportunity came up, including him, and I ended up with a lot of money by the end

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Heath posted:

I begged every single NPC for money whenever the opportunity came up, including him, and I ended up with a lot of money by the end

Did you buy the streetlight?

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
I tried to all game but then I forgot about it towards the end :saddowns:

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

sebzilla posted:

Did you buy the streetlight?

I bought it on one of my runs, which reminds me:

is there anything you can do with it, or is the fact that you can't do anything with it the joke?

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

It's an investment

Pulcinella
Feb 15, 2019

Claes Oldenburger posted:

This is a bummer because I also waited a year and a half for the origami vinyl and it ended up being more beautiful than I expected.

Update since it just arrived:

The box is indeed basically a large shoebox, though the lid fits slightly tighter. Most of the inside volume is red foam.
The cloth map actually has nice print quality (most cloth maps I’ve seen for games seem to be printed at incredibly low DPI and are either very blurry or you can basically see the pixels of the image it was sourced from). Unfortunately the cloth itself is incredibly, incredibly thin. It doesn’t feel like it will tear like tissue paper, but light pass through it incredibly easy. If you it on a white table you could see the table underneath. And, of course, it was folded up, not rolled so there are permanent crease marks.
The statue is indeed real lovely. It’s not hand painted at all. The plastic is incredibly soft and rounded, so there is little definition or fine detail. This is made worse because it’s partially translucent, making it hard to see what little detail there is. If you’ve ever seen one of those plastic statue makers at a zoo (look up a mold-a-rama machine) it’s basically that in quality.
Comes with a cardboard case for the game box (since IAm8Bit shipped the games months ago when they were ready) instead of the actual game. The game itself is, of course, amazing.
The art book, though, makes it all worth it to me (and why I even bought the CE in the first place). The book was printed with high resolution images (unfortunately the digital pdf of the book you get from a code included with the physical release has rather low resolution jpegs. You can even see jpeg artifacts in some of the images. This is not at all a problem with the physical book). It’s amazing and has tons and tons of concept art of things that never made it into the game.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
I know Half-Light comes from that one saying but it looks like there's a bit of it in the first 30 seconds of the inspiration for another skill

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h8YYOJiJg8Y

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

Vagabong
Mar 2, 2019

SexyBlindfold posted:

I felt Revachol *extremely* relatable as a Chilean, except for the bit about it formerly ruling the world. I think most players from Got-hosed-over-by-the-cold-war Gang countries will be able to relate.

I think its a sucess of the writing that Martinase speaks to a lot of urban enviroments all over the world; if you can ignore the nice architechture it always felt to me of some of the grimmer post industrial towns in England: Grimsby 50 years on and following its current trajectory.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Played the original version for a couple hours years ago having purloined it the wrong way and it fascinated me but didn't quite grab me. Picked it up legit on the recent Steam sale and delved into it for a good 30 or so hours getting to the end. There's nothing quite like this game and it was very cool in a landscape littered by shootmans and sports franchises and lootboxes, showing the medium can still do more.

My favorite rug-pull was when Volition flat out tells you the intuition of your other skills is compromised and feeding you the wrong information about Klaasje. As a tabletop gamer, I'm used to the conceit that the skill checks can't lie when they succeed: if I roll a 20 insight and the GM says "She's telling the truth," that's that. But poor Harry's endocrine system and hindbrain and gunking up the works with his sadsack infatuation.

I was initially a bit underwhelmed by the ultimate culprit being a Onoda-style holdout who had never been seen or even alluded to being the culprit, but that's my own drat fault. The mystery the game was hitting me over the head to care about more than the murder one was the mystery of Harry, who he was and more importantly who he could be.

The Romance Option with the net picker was pitch perfect. No lurid QTE sex scene, no purple prose description of heavy petting. Just two people each crippled emotionally by their own loss, one more than the other, finding the tiniest, faintest spark that could pay off in a time outside the scope of a computer game narrative.

I'm not sure I want to tackle a replay, one main question I have is: Can you follow through and actually arrest Klaasje? I relented more out of the feeling it was the right thing to do to keep driving the investigation forward than pity. What happens?

E: made a thing because the internet lets you share dumb intrusive thougths

https://twitter.com/TheGr8Aspie/status/1529455146614280194

Owlbear Camus fucked around with this message at 14:33 on May 25, 2022

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Owlbear Camus posted:

I'm not sure I want to tackle a replay, one main question I have is: Can you follow through and actually arrest Klaasje? I relented more out of the feeling it was the right thing to do to keep driving the investigation forward than pity. What happens?

she’s black-bagged and murdered by Moralintern agents

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Oxxidation posted:

she’s black-bagged and murdered by Moralintern agents

That's not very disco at all.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

it's one of the most disturbing things you can do in the game

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

She's a garbage person who made her bed a long time ago and is desperately trying to find anyone else to lie in it, nothing of value of lost by booking her imo

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Half-Light: Easy Success posted:

She's a garbage person who made her bed a long time ago and is desperately trying to find anyone else to lie in it, nothing of value of lost by booking her imo

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

No Dignity posted:

when the text is so drat good you can argue either way and they can be justified really well

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Oxxidation posted:

arresting her vs letting her go is one thing, but condemning klassje means condemning harry which means missing the entire point of the game

un jour je serai de retour pres de toi

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

agreed. in terms of arguments either way is great; however, not letting her go has definitely an element of missing not just a point but rather the greater theme, that can be seen when Shivers demonstrates La Revacholière explicitly guarding her once you finish off interrogating her thoroughly. It seems that the only person that can actually do something about her is Harry, who is also 'most favored' (or for real blessed) by La Revacholière. Both characters start Disco Elysium in deep poo poo for what has both happened to them and for what they did, consciously or not. They are confronting that truth. Redemption requires a return that goes forward, or to put it in perhaps better words, a revolution.

(IIRC, the only other character that is actually blessed by her is Harry - Klaasje says herself that he is practically Mr. Revachol so that checks out - which is really interesting. I have some fancy speculation on the why of that once that amazing info dump from the book was posted here pages and pages ago after the cool designs)

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

if you like my dumb posts, you'll love my dumb youtube channel

dead gay comedy forums posted:

when the text is so drat good you can argue either way and they can be justified really well

How is she in any way a garbage person? At worst she's guilty of corporate espionage and lying to the police. Corporate espionage seems pretty cool and good, except for the part where they murder you afterward.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

No Mods No Masters posted:

The main thing the klassje convo always reveals is how much cop brain people have and how deeply. It sucks

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Well harry hates women so there you go

Smiling Knight
May 31, 2011

Sardonik posted:

How is she in any way a garbage person? At worst she's guilty of corporate espionage and lying to the police. Corporate espionage seems pretty cool and good, except for the part where they murder you afterward.

She completely throws Ruby under the bus, framing a lover for murder and sending the cops her way is quite bad! Not to mention smearing her as a spurned homosexual pervert was pretty gross.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
AUTHORITY [Medium: Success] Failure to aid a police investigation is a **big** no-no, MISS ORANJE DISCO DANCER

Also:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

if you like my dumb posts, you'll love my dumb youtube channel

Smiling Knight posted:

She completely throws Ruby under the bus, framing a lover for murder and sending the cops her way is quite bad! Not to mention smearing her as a spurned homosexual pervert was pretty gross.

Ah, yeah, that's bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Smiling Knight posted:

Ruby is a domestic terrorist & cartel operative who constructed a dirty weapon under the city and unleashed it on Kim.