Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

Psycho Landlord posted:

I have never once seen a ship encounter do more than one hull damage and I spent a huge chunk of my late game run hunting chaos cruisers for easy requisition. Did you pick the option that says "the enemy is outclassed" as flavor text?

Some events can make you take +1 damage. Specifically if your void shields break. You have like 3/5 Hull still but it has another box that says +1 damage to Hull. Since all the upgrades are called "void shields" it is all a bit muddled in my view.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

TheWeedNumber posted:

how are you finding it to be so easy? I'm currently on a bloomspawn mission where i took too long to off one of the things and it spawned a full squad of plague bearers. I can't possibly survive the encounter at this point and I've been playing pretty decently I figure.

What day are you on and what is your team comp? A unit of Plaguebearers really should not be more than a speed bump.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
I've played like 3 missions so far and all my dudes are injured for at least the next 12 days. Didn't even take very much damage I felt this last mission but it seems any damage at all will cause injury.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
You can just keep playing them injured. It's not a big deal unless you take a whole bunch of damage. And yes, almost any damage will lead to injury. I think there's also a random element so that sometimes 1 damage will mean an injury while sometimes it won't.

Once you have your apothecary upgraded at least once, you'll generally heal minor injuries in the time it takes to travel from one planet to another anyways.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Are apothecary rare? I only have the one guy I started with and he is of course critically wounded for the next 18 days or something.

Nektu
Jul 4, 2007

FUKKEN FUUUUUUCK
Cybernetic Crumb

Popete posted:

Are apothecary rare? I only have the one guy I started with and he is of course critically wounded for the next 18 days or something.

He meant the ship upgrade, not the class.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Nektu posted:

He meant the ship upgrade, not the class.

Ah oops I missed that, thanks.

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

When I started the only time I could field someone who wasn't injured was if I just recruited them. Hell, my Justicar went on every mission regardless of his injuries until Kai took him for a mission. That dude had -6 health for months while tanking so much damage. Now that he has his +6 armor Terminator suit and a fully upgraded Aegis he just tanks everything to the face while laughing.

That being said it is SUPER important to have backups for your main dudes because they are the likely ones to go if you send knights on a side mission. They also take all of their gear with them which can really hamstring you. You don't need enough to outfit all of your knights but try to have enough to outfit 2 teams.

TheWeedNumber
Apr 20, 2020

by sebmojo

Captain Oblivious posted:

What day are you on and what is your team comp? A unit of Plaguebearers really should not be more than a speed bump.

sub 120 days. Comp was 2 justicars, interceptor, ranged purgator with psycannon.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
Are you staying back and playing defensive? Not using stratagems?

Plaguebearers are pretty easily solved with a hail of bullets and grenades in my experience.

TheWeedNumber
Apr 20, 2020

by sebmojo

Captain Oblivious posted:

Are you staying back and playing defensive? Not using stratagems?

Plaguebearers are pretty easily solved with a hail of bullets and grenades in my experience.

My bad it was 3 justicars in terminator plate and a lone purgator. I'm going forward generally speaking to try to fight. When I did fall back, they didnt move forward into my guns. And I have that cultist psyker dude in the backdrop laying out ranged damage to my guys.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
If you have 3 justicars you're going to need some honor the chapter and/provoke among them and you can then steamroll. Psycannon purgator is pretty good early on too.

TheWeedNumber
Apr 20, 2020

by sebmojo

bamhand posted:

If you have 3 justicars you're going to need some honor the chapter and/provoke among them and you can then steamroll. Psycannon purgator is pretty good early on too.

no provoke available. I've definitely been using 2 AP honour the chapter though.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
Provoke is really strong. If you taunt their team, you can then hide behind a corner and force the enemy team to run through your group of melee murder mans while not even attacking them.

Legendary Ptarmigan
Sep 21, 2007

Need a light?
Did the developers change how AP's reset when you activate a new pod (or is it mission dependent)?

Today I was doing regular bloom missions and activating pods didn't reset all my knights AP's to 3. I know that in noctolith crown missions the "combat" never ends and so you don't get the reset, but I thought that didn't apply in flowering or bloom missions. This was after completing the craftworld raid and 2/5 daemon missions.

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang
Just picked this up because XCOM is one of my favorite game ever. Is there anything XCOM players should be aware of? What I got from browsing this thread is that this game wants to be a lot more aggressive.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
Some random stuff for new people:

The classes, skills and stratagems are not created equally. Some are going to be way better than others.

Purgator with psycannon is going to be your friend early on. It's an aoe that ignores cover. Just remember it uses two ammo and your gun most likely only has 2 ammo per clip.

Justicar's honor the chapter and the gate to infinity stratagem break the game wide open on normal difficulty.

You gain seeds by landing melee crits on people (hammerhand ability gives you an automatic crit) and there's a seed extraction research that gives you a ranged ability that extracts seeds a bit later.

Prioritize servitor production at the beginning of your ship construction stuff.

Your entire party gains full AP when you encounter an enemy. Plan your moves accordingly. You generally want to creep everyone up as close as possible without triggering and then send one guy in to activate the pod.

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Furism posted:

Just picked this up because XCOM is one of my favorite game ever. Is there anything XCOM players should be aware of? What I got from browsing this thread is that this game wants to be a lot more aggressive.

Cover is less important but still useful. It's a flat damage reduction instead of a hit% thing and ranged damage falloff is pretty hefty so being in half cover at long range is plenty fine, but since melee is emphasized a lot of the time you'll end up out in the open a lot.

You have no hunker down, but the equivalent is the Aegis that gives you a couple pips of armor for a turn.

Overwatch is okay in some circumstances but not nearly as crucial as X-com.

If you are not in combat to start, popping an enemy pod will refund all of your AP. There's never been a need for me to set an overwatch trap in anticipation of an enemy pop (and the overwatch cone is small enough that it wouldn't work anyway.) You can also usually see enemy locations before revealing them, so I typically spend as many AP's as I can lining everyone up just outside vision range then run one in.

Stuns and stun damage are really important because they let you get executes which give everyone 1 AP, which is huge.

There's a line of sight indicator when you're moving that took me a bit to really notice - blue lines go from the space you've selected to enemies or environmental shootables. I think it also shows the damage you'll do with a ranged attack from that position? I think that's the red number to the left of enemy lifebars. The UI could use a bit of work, stuff that mods fixxed in Xcom.

Pay attention to the environmental stuff, toppling pillars and such is really good damage.

E: one more -- on most missions, fulfilling the objective will make a thing happen. Either you instant-win or you might get some reinforcements popping in. This can be a godsend or a real problem; I won a mission last night where there were something like 10 plague marines and 4 terminators bearing down on my idiots but they just stabbed the mission thing to death and peaced out instantly.

Legendary Ptarmigan posted:

Today I was doing regular bloom missions and activating pods didn't reset all my knights AP's to 3. I know that in noctolith crown missions the "combat" never ends and so you don't get the reset, but I thought that didn't apply in flowering or bloom missions. This was after completing the craftworld raid and 2/5 daemon missions.

Were there activated enemies anywhere? If you run from a pod you still count as in combat even if they're in fog of war.

NmareBfly fucked around with this message at 17:18 on May 20, 2022

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010

NmareBfly posted:

There's a line of sight indicator when you're moving that took me a bit to really notice - blue lines go from the space you've selected to enemies or environmental shootables. I think it also shows the damage you'll do with a ranged attack from that position? I think that's the red number to the left of enemy lifebars. The UI could use a bit of work, stuff that mods fixxed in Xcom.

Oooh that's what that number is.

The LoS indicator in general is tricky. Remember that you can have LoS on someone who is in full cover. So when you move there to attack you suddenly find out that you're doing 0 damage even though you can see and shoot at them.

Noir89
Oct 9, 2012

I made a dumdum :(

Legendary Ptarmigan posted:

Did the developers change how AP's reset when you activate a new pod (or is it mission dependent)?

I had a bug on the brigde map where I started in an encounter with a group just after the bridge, despite not having seen them. Was confused a while as well when I didn't get any points back after killing the first group on the bridge.

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

bamhand posted:

Oooh that's what that number is.

I'm not 100% sure about that but it seemed to line up. If someone else knows what that number is, say so lol.

I'm liking this a lot, probably in middle / latish game? haven't done any of the demon missions yet but I'm sure I'll get some soon.

My main real complaint so far is a lack of strategic info a lot of the time. On the mission reward screen, I want to be able to see how many of X or Y gun types I already have in my armory before I choose one. In random events I want to know which Knight they're talking about because hell if I can remember these people's names, stuff like that. I'm often making a choice semi-blind because I'm bad at remembering what I have and what I've done since I can't switch to other screens to check on stuff. Oh, a comparison view in loadouts showing what someone has equipped already vs what you're putting in. In general the UI is functional but there are a lot of little things that could be improved.

Some of the random events can really turbo gently caress you, which is both good and bad. I got one that had me dump all my seeds relatively early, which I went ahead and did BECAUSE it was early so I figured I'd recover them pretty fast but... I haven't had a single 'normal' seed drop in like 5 missions and my research is completely bottlenecked by that at this point. Is this bad luck? Or do the standard seeds just stop showing up?

Olesh
Aug 4, 2008

Why did the circus close?

A long, chilling list of animal rights violations.

NmareBfly posted:

I got one that had me dump all my seeds relatively early, which I went ahead and did BECAUSE it was early so I figured I'd recover them pretty fast but... I haven't had a single 'normal' seed drop in like 5 missions and my research is completely bottlenecked by that at this point. Is this bad luck? Or do the standard seeds just stop showing up?

When you kill the color-coded bosses, new blooms of that color stop appearing. Your ability to gain more seeds of that color becomes very restricted, since missions will only drop seed types from colors present (or imminent) on a mission. Unfortunately, there's more or less nothing you can do about it besides keeping an eye out for missions where the seeds can drop and prioritizing them to get your research done.

TheWeedNumber
Apr 20, 2020

by sebmojo
how do you upgrade weapons and armor?

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

TheWeedNumber posted:

You spend seeds of the appropriate color to unlock the upgrade. It's definitely confusing, since you get the gear before you even know there's more than 1 type of seed.

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Like a hollow-point bullet
Straight to the head
I never missed...you
Unlocking the ability to upgrade items in general requires a particular bit of research, which in turn is tied to plot progress.

Legendary Ptarmigan
Sep 21, 2007

Need a light?

TheWeedNumber posted:

Unless I've missed something, the equipment also needs to be currently equipped on a marine. Once it is, the "Equip" button will change to "Upgrade," then you select the specific upgrade you want to apply and then click through a confirm dialogue.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
The load out and ability UI is not good. It's difficult to tell what is changing.

Overall really like the game but the UI can make basic stuff confusing to look at.

Kobal2
Apr 29, 2019

NmareBfly posted:

I'm not 100% sure about that but it seemed to line up. If someone else knows what that number is, say so lol.

I'm liking this a lot, probably in middle / latish game? haven't done any of the demon missions yet but I'm sure I'll get some soon.

My main real complaint so far is a lack of strategic info a lot of the time.

What I would *really really* like to know is "how long is it going to take to travel to point B ?". Often I have had cases where I had to guess whether I could make it to a second mission if I did this or that one first ; or whether I had time to sail around a warp storm instead of straight through it. Kind of annoying.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...
Oh cool, a Chaos Gate Daemonhunters thread.

I haven't picked up Daemonhunters yet, but I've been playing the original Chaos Gate on-and-off for a while now. Has anyone here played through it?

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I had no idea Chaos Gate was a series.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.
The original Chaos Gate is cool, although is completely linear, with hand crafted scenarios, which kills all of its replay value.

Kobal2
Apr 29, 2019

Max Wilco posted:

I haven't picked up Daemonhunters yet, but I've been playing the original Chaos Gate on-and-off for a while now. Has anyone here played through it?

Not "through", but yeah I liked it a lot back then. I tried to make it run recently but it's a giant pain in the arse without some form of emulation (which is its own giant pain in the arse)

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Max Wilco posted:

I played shitloads of Chaos Gate and one of the primary reasons Daemonhunters initially interested me instead of being added to the pile of 40k games that my mind usually skips over is the usage of the Chaos Gate moniker.

I love it but running it on modern systems is a gigantic pain in the rear end and even the GOG version doesn't really fix the problem without a lot of painful tweaking.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

I think I'm done with this game already. I just had a mission where two of the blips were so close together that they couldn't be pulled separately no matter how carefully I moved, and as soon as they were cleared two packs of reinforcements spawned in and revived half the dead ones. 20+ enemies simultaneously is impossible to beat. This was the first Seed Carrier mission of the campaign, on Normal difficulty.

This game was designed by loving idiots who should never work again.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.
Getting Chaos Gate to run is a funny topic. In my case the GoG version runs like a dream in my not so old laptop without any fiddling whatsoever. It also runs ok in my new laptop, with some adjustments and with some infrequent crashes. My lovely old desktop with Win7? Nope, doesn't even load without crashing.

Just burn some incense and pray to the Omnissiah, maybe you'll get lucky. I play ever now and then. It's not a diffcult game, it just gets very tedious later on with all the micromanagement and the enormous maps.

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

Jedit posted:

I think I'm done with this game already. I just had a mission where two of the blips were so close together that they couldn't be pulled separately no matter how carefully I moved, and as soon as they were cleared two packs of reinforcements spawned in and revived half the dead ones. 20+ enemies simultaneously is impossible to beat. This was the first Seed Carrier mission of the campaign, on Normal difficulty.

I take it you didn't have any grenades or a guy with a psilencer? 20+ enemies sounds like a good time to me; I haven't hit a single encounter I considered particularly unfair but I'm also over the early game hump.

If those were spawned reinfocements it sounds like the end of mission thing where you have to survive a couple turns, so was falling back an option? All you need to do is triple-move in the opposite direction for two turns and they'll never catch up.

It's also really generous (compared to xcom) re: deaths and critical injuries. A guy or three going down is not a mission ender necessarily.

I will say that finding a +stun storm bolter sort of breaks the game open. I can just throw it on anyone, move once and and burn 2 willpower to do 4 stun damage and set up a chain that'll roast a whole pod before it can move.

E: Get you an interceptor that can just do this:

NmareBfly fucked around with this message at 17:14 on May 21, 2022

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

Angry Lobster posted:

Getting Chaos Gate to run is a funny topic. In my case the GoG version runs like a dream in my not so old laptop without any fiddling whatsoever. It also runs ok in my new laptop, with some adjustments and with some infrequent crashes. My lovely old desktop with Win7? Nope, doesn't even load without crashing.

Just burn some incense and pray to the Omnissiah, maybe you'll get lucky. I play ever now and then. It's not a diffcult game, it just gets very tedious later on with all the micromanagement and the enormous maps.

I guess I've just been lucky, because I think I upgraded to Win10 while I had it installed, but it still managed to work. One big thing you need to do is not install it under Program Files, but rather in a folder under C:/ (and I think the overall path needs to be pretty short) There was an update for it that broke it, but I was able to get it fixed by uninstalling it and reinstalling it (I believe it was because of conflict with a ddraw fan patch that I was using beforehand), and now you can run it in a window or full-screen with aspect correction.

I've been playing it on the Easy difficulty, but I agree that it does get very tedious. The larger maps give you tons of enemies you've got to take out, and if you're like me and trying to keep all your marines alive, you reload whenever you have a bad turn. The perspective also makes it difficult to try and gauge whether you can hit an enemy or not. One thing I found that helps to speed things up is to disable the walking animations. There are some game breaking bugs with it, too: I had mission I had to redo because it wouldn't end even though I eliminated all the enemies, and if you try to move marines en masse, sometimes their paths conflict and the game won't let you end your turn.

Still, I like it a lot. It feels like a snapshot of 40K around 2e or so (based on the logo used) when there were still things like Chaos Dreadnoughts. The visuals are still pretty solid, I think, and the audio design for voices, sound effects, and music are all phenomenal. Honestly, it's the kind of thing where I wish there had been a remake, or some kind of source port instead of a sequel.

One annoying thing now is because of Daemonhunters, searches for stuff on the original are harder now, because you get a lot of results for the new game.

Double Bill
Jan 29, 2006

Jedit posted:

:xcom:

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

NmareBfly posted:

I take it you didn't have any grenades or a guy with a psilencer? 20+ enemies sounds like a good time to me; I haven't hit a single encounter I considered particularly unfair but I'm also over the early game hump.

If those were spawned reinfocements it sounds like the end of mission thing where you have to survive a couple turns, so was falling back an option? All you need to do is triple-move in the opposite direction for two turns and they'll never catch up.

No, I didn't have a Psilencer. They're talent locked and this was too early to have the talent. I also couldn't fall back because the reinforcements boxed me in and there was nowhere to go. Every marine was either critically injured or under lethal levels of enemy overwatch as soon as they started acting.

And no, that's not XCOM. I completed the original XCOM and it never gave you anything like this in the early game. You could get RNG hosed by missing a high percentage hit, but the number of enemies was always manageable unless you really screwed up. This mission is the equivalent of a midgame XCOM mission against a large Sectoid saucer, but it comes at the start of the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ultrachrist
Sep 27, 2008
I can’t remember the silly gun names but I’m assuming he’s talking about the gun that purgators can equip from the start that replaces overwatch with a special aoe attack that is extremely good early game and would roast a large group of enemies.