Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
I didn't know VRising was made by the bloodline champion studio, that was a fun game back in the day but eventually was ruined by future updates that made it pay to win, probably to kill it before they made battlerite which I never played but seemed to be bloodline champions 2.0.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

I didn't know VRising was made by the bloodline champion studio, that was a fun game back in the day but eventually was ruined by future updates that made it pay to win, probably to kill it before they made battlerite which I never played but seemed to be bloodline champions 2.0.

You can probably blame those problems on Funcom. They were experimenting with - and being aggressive with monetization in their published games around that time.

Attack on Princess fucked around with this message at 12:35 on May 19, 2022

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

Flesh Forge posted:

I'm having a really hard time enjoying this game because it does the deep water poo poo so well :negative:

update: this isn't getting easier! I have the Seamoth mini sub and the 225-unit air tank and whatnot but the whole time I'm playing I'm at Pucker Factor 9.95, I've never had a video game scare me at all before and this is just endless panic! :supaburn:

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Donnerberg posted:

You can probably blame those problems on Funcom. They were experimenting with - and being aggressive with monetization in their published games around that time.

Well you say that but this $19.99 Early Access game already has $39.00 in DLC.

Their “support us more” DLC is $29.99 which is pretty drat lol

I’d give them a pass if they were selling the sound track or their support us pack were cheaper but they are doing neither of those things and it seems like a money grab.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

A company... asking for money???

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
I believe it's all cosmetic poo poo at least which is the preferable version of day-one DLC, so there's that. Could always just... not buy it if you don't support those practices.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!
How does V Rising play? I've dropped into a couple of streams, but haven't quite got the idea yet.

Is it a Diablo-like with base building?

tildes
Nov 16, 2018

Donnerberg posted:

How does V Rising play? I've dropped into a couple of streams, but haven't quite got the idea yet.

Is it a Diablo-like with base building?

It's more like a top down Valheim-style survival game structure with the combat of Battlerite/Bloodline Champions and the (optional) multiplayer/PvP mechanics of Rust.

Valheim: For context, this means that the overall macro loop is that you go out, fight enemies, kill bosses, and in doing so get the ability to craft new stuff which is stronger. So similar to Valheim (or Terraria, though without the big NPC focus). Hit tree, break tree, get wood, make thing. Find boss, kill boss, get ability, get stronger. That kind of thing. Surviving mostly involves feeding off enemies, but it isn't like you'll be struggling to stay alive. The main thing is that enemies you feed off of give you different buffs, so finding ones which give good buffs is important. You can also use up your blood to heal, which will mean you'll have to feed again sooner (and potentially lose a good buff!), but might be needed. I think it's a nice way to integrate it in without making it feel punitive -- sort of like Valheim's food system. Base building is required insofar as you need to have crafting and resource processing stuff to make weapons to fight with. E.g. you need a workbench, and then you need a sawmill for planks, furnace for ore, etc. etc. It even borrows from Valheim in little ways -- e.g. stone giants will break trees while you fight them similar to Trolls.

Battlerite/BLC: The actual combat and moment to moment gameplay is a top down action game based heavily on skillshots. If you ever played either of their earlier games, it is just like that. If you haven't, imagine if someone made a MOBA, but then gave it incredibly good skill-based combat and stripped out everything else -- that's basically what Battlerite was. I think comparing the combat to Diablo does it a big disservice imo -- its fights feel way more dynamic/skill-based/fun (not that diablo wasn't! But I found the actual moment to moment fighting could feel pretty mindless). For example, when you autoattack it will root you for a second, and if you are using a ranged weapon it will be a skillshot which you have to lead and which can miss. You deciding when to attack etc. actually matters -- you're not necessarily just spamming left mouse. Bosses have a variety of attack patterns which shift through fights. As you kill bosses you will steal some of their abilities which you can then equip. You have 1-2 weapon skills, two abilities chosen from a wide list which could be skillshots/counters etc., an ultimate, and a dash. So you can get a decent amount of build customization in the abilities you choose. You can also tailor your equipment a bit, but that part is a bit less impactful than ability choices so far.

Rust: And then there is the Rust style PvP aspects. You have a base which you can lock off from enemies using a resource you get from killing stuff. You can also raid other player's bases and kill them. I haven't played it in PvP so can't really comment on it beyond that. I imagine it would probably be fun given that Battlerite was fun.

Overall I would definitely recommend it, I think it is the best combat of any survival game I've played -- not that it is a very competitive field :). If you're really looking for a big focus on survival, you might not get that though.

e: Two ways it is dissimilar from Valheim: (1), the base building is not as intricate. If you want to build a super crazy castle, this might not be the ideal game for you. (2), the exploration is a bit less involved. There are cool and varied biomes, but it is definitely more combat focused and so far there has not been a moment like sailing in Valheim for the first time.

tildes fucked around with this message at 18:19 on May 19, 2022

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

the combat in V Rising is seriously its strongest aspect regardless of how you feel about the rest of the game and its frustrating that its taken this long to get actually fun combat in a survival crafting game.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

The part about V Rising that sets it apart from Valheim is that the set map allows you to be able to move with purpose rather than setting a random direction and walking til you hit something.

tildes
Nov 16, 2018

ShadowMar posted:

the combat in V Rising is seriously its strongest aspect regardless of how you feel about the rest of the game and its frustrating that its taken this long to get actually fun combat in a survival crafting game.

Yeah this is hard to emphasize enough I think. Battlerite could be pretty hard to get into since it was just a 3v3 hardcore PvP experience. Taking that combat and letting you experience it in a chiller setting is pretty awesome.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

chainchompz posted:

Apologies if it's already been brought up, but Tin Can is pretty great. Basically you have to MacGyver together failing systems on an old escape pod after you have to get off your ship while doing maintenance and cleaning.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1315980/Tin_Can/
Thanks for this, I picked it up on sale (still on sale for anyone else curious) and I've been enjoying it.

e: gently caress electrical storms

Splicer fucked around with this message at 23:07 on May 19, 2022

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
I know someone in here tried out core keeper and had some complaints with the grinding (I think). Anyone kept up with it, is it improving?

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Azhais posted:

I know someone in here tried out core keeper and had some complaints with the grinding (I think). Anyone kept up with it, is it improving?

I’ve played CC up until it was out of content but I don’t think they addressed the grinding much. We straight up didn’t attempt to grind that much.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

The next big biome update is coming and while I didn't get to play it when it very very first released on EA I'd say it's pretty solid. Perhaps slightly on the grindy side but that's really only if you want to do very specific things. They also just made it so farming isn't incredibly tedious later on which is very nice!

The current endgame involves being able to set up drills on various static ore sites to just passively accrue ores instead of having to go out and actively mine for it which is nice. Bit of a slow start going when you first try to set them up but it snowballs quickly. Overall I'd still say it's a somewhat grindy game, but no more so than say Valheim and other similar games.

IMO I think the game is probably more fun with friends, but is still satisfying singleplayer and kinda hits the same zen spot Minecraft does in the respects of just going out and exploring. Way smaller map of course.

Reik
Mar 8, 2004
I wish more survival games would do the "building block" style of castle-building as seen in Valheim as opposed to the more pre-fab tiles as seen in Ark/Conan Exiles/V Rising (from what I've seen on streams). Maybe it's just because I have spent considerably more hours building in Valheim than killing guys, but even in those first few hours of play where you have to build a chimney to funnel smoke out, and instead of just picking the "chimney" tile from your build menu you have to actually design a chimney using basic beams/walls/roof tiles, made me think Valheim had something special about it.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender
Hey survivors, I put together a PVE V Rising if people want to get on and muck around in the vicinity of goons. Have fun; don't cause too much trouble.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Reik posted:

I wish more survival games would do the "building block" style of castle-building as seen in Valheim as opposed to the more pre-fab tiles as seen in Ark/Conan Exiles/V Rising (from what I've seen on streams). Maybe it's just because I have spent considerably more hours building in Valheim than killing guys, but even in those first few hours of play where you have to build a chimney to funnel smoke out, and instead of just picking the "chimney" tile from your build menu you have to actually design a chimney using basic beams/walls/roof tiles, made me think Valheim had something special about it.

At the same time the largest challenge at the start of that game was the insurmountable mountain of "make a roof that doesn't have any holes in it but also doesn't have loose pieces jutting out"

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

CuddleCryptid posted:

At the same time the largest challenge at the start of that game was the insurmountable mountain of "make a roof that doesn't have any holes in it but also doesn't have loose pieces jutting out"
This is extraordinarily easy with keyboard and mouse and effectively impossible with a gamepad.

BrianRx
Jul 21, 2007

CuddleCryptid posted:

There is an art to placing your mouse cursor juuuuust right and holding your body completely still while you try to snap the next piece to the edge of a two dimensional plane.

Reik
Mar 8, 2004
Yeah, there's definitely a lot of little "tricks" to snapping in Valheim that shouldn't have to exist. As an example, the ~0.5m snap points using wooden doors or core beams really opens up a lot of design space.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

All I want is HGTV but post-apocalyptic which gives me bonuses based on the number of spikes and chains in my decor, is that too much to ask in a survival game?

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

HelloSailorSign posted:

All I want is HGTV but post-apocalyptic which gives me bonuses based on the number of spikes and chains in my decor, is that too much to ask in a survival game?

My friend do I have the game for you

https://store.steampowered.com/app/825570/House_Flipper__Apocalypse_DLC/

Disappointing Pie
Feb 7, 2006
Words cannot describe what a disaster the pie was.

HelloSailorSign posted:

What about that Endzone game, anyone messed with it much? I've been seeing more buzz about it lately for some reason.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

piL posted:

Hey survivors, I put together a PVE V Rising if people want to get on and muck around in the vicinity of goons. Have fun; don't cause too much trouble.

Is there a thread for V Rising? Currently playing with a few friends and just learning the ropes.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

Splicer posted:

This is extraordinarily easy with keyboard and mouse and effectively impossible with a gamepad.
I play exclusively on controller, and I don't have any issues :shrug: (Other than the usual of "goddamnit this won't snap unless I climb up on the wall/roof" and then you fall off and hurt yourself or die depending on whether you remembered to eat or not.)

e: I was having issues with the triggers being reversed in Valheim and then yesterday it just unfucked itself for no reason. This is why I don't play games on PC very often! :argh:

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart

"These ones of our players that are fearless the most are welcomed"

Holy poo poo that's some Engrish.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender
Whoops, wrong thread.

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013
V Rising is cool but it feels like hitting a wall at around boss level 35 if you're playing solo. Fighting a necromancer and 30 skeletons on my own just doesn't seem feasible.

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

im almost level 50 playing entirely offline solo with the default combat difficulty settings and haven't run into any real roadblocks yet. there's definitely some bosses where you really gotta play smart and use a specific build for in offline solo play tho, but a lot of it just comes down to figuring out their attack patterns and just not getting hit or aggroing new enemies.

deathbagel
Jun 10, 2008

LostRook posted:

V Rising is cool but it feels like hitting a wall at around boss level 35 if you're playing solo. Fighting a necromancer and 30 skeletons on my own just doesn't seem feasible.

Nah, I'm level 60 and have played exclusively solo. You do have to get creative sometimes though for sure and learn to kite and utilize your spells to their fullest.

I meant to make a large effort post about this game, but I can't pull myself away from it long enough to do that. I picked this up on Wednesday and almost have 40 hours in it already. It's great!

ComradePyro
Oct 6, 2009

Flesh Forge posted:

update: this isn't getting easier! I have the Seamoth mini sub and the 225-unit air tank and whatnot but the whole time I'm playing I'm at Pucker Factor 9.95, I've never had a video game scare me at all before and this is just endless panic! :supaburn:

I believe in you! You will either overcome this fear or strengthen your anus to the point that you can use it to shear metal bars, which could provide a nice side-income. Good luck!

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

If folks are playing subnautica with fears of deep waters I'd make a warning that is a spoiler for later areas

the area you are in is a circular shallow crater of a dormant volcano. once you get to the so called "crater's edge" it opens into the real ocean and it is truly a cliff that drops down 4000 meters into the abyss. so uh yeah be prepared for finding the edge and looking over it into the void.

your PDA will warn you to stay away through, so don't feel the need to explore it because you'll just find death.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

maybe at some point my glands will run out of fear goop :shrug:

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Mine didn't

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Flesh Forge posted:

maybe at some point my glands will run out of fear goop :shrug:

I have terrible acrophobia and the rooftop sections in Elden Ring give me the fear when I'm watching someone *else* play them. So I get you.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider
LOL all you people afraid of deep water.

*thinks of being on the edge of a roof and dies*

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

HopperUK posted:

I have terrible acrophobia and the rooftop sections in Elden Ring give me the fear when I'm watching someone *else* play them. So I get you.

How did you deal with the loving bridge section in HL2?

e: Just to remind everyone, this Bridge of Abject Terror: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=luAMasM4leM

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

RandomBlue posted:

LOL all you people afraid of deep water.

*thinks of being on the edge of a roof and dies*

it's really weird because it's completely irrational, like my brain knows this is just a space/flight sim with blue/green volumetrics and the sounds are just ordinary things like, a guy rubbing a piece of wet leather on a piece of plywood or something, and it doesn't help *AT ALL*

I will say though when I finally got my nice 3 story tall fish tank filled with cute fishes and kelp that was pretty cool :allears:

e: ah fuckin milkshake duck syndrome :rant:

https://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2018-02-06-subnautica-developer-fired-over-many-hateful-statements

Flesh Forge fucked around with this message at 23:38 on May 21, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Your Brain on Hugs
Aug 20, 2006

deathbagel posted:

Nah, I'm level 60 and have played exclusively solo. You do have to get creative sometimes though for sure and learn to kite and utilize your spells to their fullest.

I meant to make a large effort post about this game, but I can't pull myself away from it long enough to do that. I picked this up on Wednesday and almost have 40 hours in it already. It's great!

I played yesterday but I think I'm going to start a new solo server to make it less grindy, what settings are worth changing? I know I should have teleport with inventory ticked on.