Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Weedle posted:

is sniper elite the one where you can shoot hitler's ballsack off and it goes to a super slo mo x-ray zoom showing his balls getting pulverized

Better.

It shows his ball getting pulverized

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
besides the ball explosion slomo they are just really great stealth action games. i like to compare them (well, 3 and 4 anyways) to mgs v in terms of mechanics and semi-open large base approach-how-you-want style of gameplay

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

I've only played 1, 2 and 4 and I have to say that Sniper Elite 4 is really fun and the horde mode, where you can trap an entire small village and kill shitloads of nazis is well worth paying the (really frequent) sale price.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
and if you find yourself enjoying them, 5 comes out next week! I'm excited

Copper Vein
Mar 14, 2007

...and we liked it that way.
I've gotten an unreasonable amount of enjoyment out of their Zombie Army series. When ZA4 came out right before quarantine in 2020, I thought that my PC was too aged to play the game smoothly, so I got it on PS4.

I pleasantly surprised that Rebellion put mouse and keyboard support into ZA4 on PS4. I dug a Nostromo keypad out of storage and got to play with my normal FPS setup at mostly 60 frames. It was very nice.

They did get a little greedy with the DLC for ZA4 though, but it goes on sale often.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

NO

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

They did a cool multiplayer game where you fight skeletons and mummies. Can’t remember what it’s called but it was really fun.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Weedle posted:

is sniper elite the one where you can shoot hitler's ballsack off and it goes to a super slo mo x-ray zoom showing his balls getting pulverized
I think most of the Sniper Elite games have a DLC mission in which you get to blast Hitler's deficient sack clean off. And oddly, some of them have current/former tech journalists making cameos as German soldiers, because really, is it truly a WW2 action game if it doesn't have an achievement for remotely descroting Black Mirror creator Charlie Brooker?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

The Kins posted:

is it truly a WW2 action game if it doesn't have an achievement for remotely descroting Black Mirror creator Charlie Brooker?

Fitting punishment for the last few series of Black Mirror imho

Barudak
May 7, 2007

AvP 2010 was such a 2010s FPS were all freedom was smoothed out, terrible canned animations in combat reigned supreme, and the game was like 6 hours

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I’ll get it next time it goes on sale on Xbox

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Quantum of Phallus posted:

They did a cool multiplayer game where you fight skeletons and mummies. Can’t remember what it’s called but it was really fun.

I think it's called "Strange Brigade"

Weedle
May 31, 2006

getting roasted in the early fps megathread for forgetting that hitler only had one ball and a hosed up little dribble dick

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Weedle posted:

getting roasted in the early fps megathread for forgetting that hitler only had one ball and a hosed up little dribble dick
The mecha armor was a classical case of overcompensating.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Angry_Ed posted:

I think it's called "Strange Brigade"

That’s the one! Fun game

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Weedle posted:

Don't forget they went historically accurate and gave Hitler just one ball

Quantum of Phallus posted:

If you're talking about Strange Brigade I tried to like that game but it was just an incoherent mess

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
Never liked any of Rebellion's games but I still appreciate them and am glad they've been successful. As we all know, the greatest genre of action game is "It's Nazi Killin' Time" and Rebellion is drat good at that.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

The Kins posted:

The mecha armor was a classical case of overcompensating.

1 ball + 1 broken schwanz = 4 miniguns

Gaspy Conana
Aug 1, 2004

this clown loves you

Shadow Hog posted:

I'm of the opinion that "Early FPS" refers to the very specific time period of the 1990s and very very early 2000s (late-PS2 gen debatably doesn't count), and isn't a rolling scale like "retro" is. This does get muddled a bit with retro FPS revivals sharing the ethos of that era like Dusk, and I'm also not above discussing FPSes outside the narrowed scope defined above like AvP2010, but IDK, 2010 is firmly in the CoD era of FPS design, and CoD doesn't really share the same ethos. (Multiplayer kinda does, aside for all those perks, kill streak bonuses, unlockables...)

i don't know how it should be split/defined but i do think a distinction would be beneficial.

imo it'd helpful to figure out where to make the cut and create a separate thread for post-200X FPS discussion so that the people only interested in one era can enjoy a nice focused thread. as time passes it's just gonna become less relevant to the interests of the ppl subscribed resulting in more conversation about what counts as ~retro~ etc etc.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
There's now a demo for the Half-Life 2 mod Dark Life, which swaps the times of day around. That might not seem like much but from the demo it seems like the devs are really going for it to change the atmosphere and general feel of the levels, rather than just swap skyboxes and tweak global lighting.

https://www.moddb.com/mods/dark-life-2/downloads/dark-life-2-demo

Here's some gameplay: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MAQ06BD4D1E

Route Kanal at night really helps emphasize the fugitive on the run feel, Ravenholm is straight up Silent Hill now.

Al Cu Ad Solte fucked around with this message at 18:22 on May 19, 2022

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Copper Vein posted:

I've gotten an unreasonable amount of enjoyment out of their Zombie Army series. When ZA4 came out right before quarantine in 2020, I thought that my PC was too aged to play the game smoothly, so I got it on PS4.

I pleasantly surprised that Rebellion put mouse and keyboard support into ZA4 on PS4. I dug a Nostromo keypad out of storage and got to play with my normal FPS setup at mostly 60 frames. It was very nice.

They did get a little greedy with the DLC for ZA4 though, but it goes on sale often.

Holy poo poo, I didn't know they put keyboard support for Zombie Army 4. The other one I know of is Deep Rock Galactic on consoles that has fully customizable controller AND keyboard support.

:nice:

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

Never liked any of Rebellion's games but I still appreciate them and am glad they've been successful. As we all know, the greatest genre of action game is "It's Nazi Killin' Time" and Rebellion is drat good at that.

I played a lot of Sniper Elite V2 co-op (the origina, not remastered) and while it crashed a lot and had netcode, was super fun to set two sniper shots fully synced. Sniper Elite V4 has accesible controls and customizable difficulty for your nazi testicle murder simulator enjoyment.

Guillermus fucked around with this message at 18:23 on May 19, 2022

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Gaspy Conana posted:

i don't know how it should be split/defined but i do think a distinction would be beneficial.

imo it'd helpful to figure out where to make the cut and create a separate thread for post-200X FPS discussion so that the people only interested in one era can enjoy a nice focused thread. as time passes it's just gonna become less relevant to the interests of the ppl subscribed resulting in more conversation about what counts as ~retro~ etc etc.

the cutoff is late october/early november 2007, between the release of half-life 2 episode 2 and call of duty 4

Rev. Melchisedech Howler
Sep 5, 2006

You know. Leather.
As far as I'm concerned, this is the cool clubhouse for FPS chat with users of good taste. We talk about newer games in here that may not be early FPSes as such, and so what? Definitely not worth splitting the thread over.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Rev. Melchisedech Howler posted:

As far as I'm concerned, this is the cool clubhouse for FPS chat with users of good taste. We talk about newer games in here that may not be early FPSes as such, and so what? Definitely not worth splitting the thread over.

fr fr. on a forum that get less than 100 users browsing it seems crazy to do that

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Angry_Ed posted:

1 ball + 1 broken schwanz = 4 miniguns

They'd of course be mini

:dukedog:

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I was really bad at blasting balls in the sniper game and I guess it's because I have terrible ball-in-pants perception

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
yeah ngl i've played 2, 3 and 4 and i think i've gotten a ball shot maybe four or five times total and a couple were by accident. it's hard

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Just masses of Nazis reporting to the aid tent with bullets to the thigh and pelvis because dammit I would not give up trying

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

site posted:

yeah ngl i've played 2, 3 and 4 and i think i've gotten a ball shot maybe four or five times total and a couple were by accident. it's hard
unlike shitler's dick

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

I also appreciated doing ankle shots because godDAMN that would gently caress someone up.

Then I finished them off, so it's irrelevant.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Barudak posted:

AvP 2010 was such a 2010s FPS were all freedom was smoothed out, terrible canned animations in combat reigned supreme, and the game was like 6 hours

When it came out the first thing I thought of was what a great example of how console-first development for FPS sucks especially in comparison to the older games. What a glorious day that was when the original dropped on Steam.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Groovelord Neato posted:

When it came out the first thing I thought of was what a great example of how console-first development for FPS sucks especially in comparison to the older games. What a glorious day that was when the original dropped on Steam.

Says a lot about the original that even when I played it again 20 years after it came out, the sight of the first Xenomorph charging down a darkened hallway still scared me and caused me to empty half of the pulse rifle clip into it.

Gaspy Conana
Aug 1, 2004

this clown loves you

Rev. Melchisedech Howler posted:

yea i guess you're right, this thread isn't massively popular so maybe it doesn't make sense.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Rebellion are such a weird company because a lot of their catalogue is kinda bad (I say this as a Neverdead enjoyer) but they do well enough that they can mostly self publish and do things like "buy out 2000AD".

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

they also have a massive mocap studio

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

ToxicFrog posted:

I miiiiight still try out Timesplitters 2 someday, but in a world where I have a big pile of unplayed early (or retro-inspired) FPSes on PC, plus a stack of megaWADs higher than my head, I don't have a lot of interest in fighting console controls to try out FPSes I missed on that side of the fence, even if they are really good.

Isn’t Timesplitters 2 in its entirety included with the second Homefront? Or was that little secret just for the console ports?

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Dewgy posted:

Isn’t Timesplitters 2 in its entirety included with the second Homefront? Or was that little secret just for the console ports?

It was just a couple of levels that were accessible until recently and you can rip out the homefront bits if you want: https://github.com/HFTSRedux/TS2Redux

Disproportionation
Feb 20, 2011

Oh god it's the Clone Saga all over again.
I don't really know why people dislike AVP2010, it's...fine? Like it's nothing special but I enjoyed it about as much as the first (pc) game, though 2 is much better than both.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
avp2 is probably the better video game, but it backed away from the crazy wallcrawling of the first which is a sin. Also the spooky marine campaign; as Alien Isolation showed you don't have to ever fire a shot to be scared pantless.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Serephina posted:

avp2 is probably the better video game, but it backed away from the crazy wallcrawling of the first which is a sin. Also the spooky marine campaign; as Alien Isolation showed you don't have to ever fire a shot to be scared pantless.

AvP2 still had plenty of wallcrawling in it, though?

One of the things I really liked about AvP2 (don't remember if 1 did this) was that your motion tracker picked up all motion, and only motion. So as you're going through the start of the marine campaign it's picking up giant (but harmless) local insects and cables swaying in the breeze and doors opening as you approach and poo poo and this goes on juuuust long enough for you to get a bit desensitized to it before the aliens show up.