Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

It failed because, as we discussed long ago, big heroes aren't interesting

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Endless Mike posted:

What about big heroines? Those have a market niche.

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

I get this funky high on the yellow sun.

Endless Mike posted:

Give us an X-Men book of just Blob tending bar.

Cheers: Krakoa

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Nessus posted:

What about big heroines? Those have a market niche.

Don't stare, your mind fixates, next thing you're cruising some real weird chat rooms

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Speaking of big heroes, for awhile I've had some vague urge to figure out what the Hulk's deal is. Like, I get his deal that he gets strong when he's angry, but how does that work as a 70 year long comic series? The only Hulk I've read is Planet Hulk, which I understand to be a unique Hulk moment, not representative of typical Hulk stuff. So anyway, the Barnes and Noble near me is closing and they had 40% off everything, I got there like 20 minutes before closing, so I blindly grabbed the two biggest Hulk collections they had. Which turned out to be The Incredible Hulk Epic Collections 5 & 6, containing The Incredible Hulk 138-178 and Avengers 88. Is that good Hulk? Is it representative of the larger Hulk oeuvre?

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
I'm not the biggest Hulk guy but it seems like those early Hulk issues are not well regarded and the runs to read are Peter David's on The Incredible Hulk and Al Ewing's recent Immortal Hulk.

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

Ultraman was just a boring comic, nothing about it really showed what was interesting about the character/setting. I also felt the 6 issue runs didn't give it enough time to really tell anything interesting.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Cloks posted:

I'm not the biggest Hulk guy but it seems like those early Hulk issues are not well regarded and the runs to read are Peter David's on The Incredible Hulk and Al Ewing's recent Immortal Hulk.

Well, poo poo.

Azubah posted:

Ultraman was just a boring comic, nothing about it really showed what was interesting about the character/setting. I also felt the 6 issue runs didn't give it enough time to really tell anything interesting.

The big problem is that it jettisoned everything interesting about the original character and setting. The optimism and faith in humanity's potential is gone, it's not an ensemble piece, the SSSP isn't a group of professional, talented adults working together for the greater good, there isn't a huge variety of monsters and aliens. And instead of solid episodic stories we get a vague and uninteresting overarching plot that promises to eventually go somewhere, at some point in the future, assuming the series doesn't get canceled.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Gripweed posted:

Well, poo poo.

Depends how enthusiastic you are for very earnest cheesy retro comics, I've heard good things about that era. Also checked out some issues myself, I've been curious to sample different eras and stuff. That era is Herb Trimpe on art, who's one of the most loved Hulk artists. And Roy Thomas writing, seems like pretty solid fun stuff for the time. Erik Larsen has referenced it on Savage Dragon a few times, and worked with Herb too.

https://savagedragoncomics.files.wordpress.com/2018/09/savage-156-herb-trimpe-hulk.png

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

One thing I will never, ever get over is the weird rear end posture Larsen draws in
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmDU46xAtmU

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Gotta love it.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

One thing I will never, ever get over is the weird rear end posture Larsen draws in

Me before the video: "I mean it's probably not that weird, everybody's got a style"

Me 5 seconds in: :stare:

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
Hulk’s appeal, at least to me, is that he’s a big green angry guy that still fundamentally doesn’t want to hurt people. He mostly wants to be left alone and have people be nice to him. He’s strong and knows it, but he can’t quite make the logical leap that he’s scaring people or hurting them

I’m typically not a fan of when they make Green Hulk intelligent. The childlike side of him is the more interesting part, imo

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Gripweed posted:

Speaking of big heroes, for a while I've had some vague urge to figure out what the Hulk's deal is. Like, I get his deal that he gets strong when he's angry, but how does that work as a 70 yearlong comic series? The only Hulk I've read is Planet Hulk, which I understand to be a unique Hulk moment, not representative of typical Hulk stuff. So anyway, the Barnes and Noble near me is closing and they had 40% off everything, I got there like 20 minutes before closing, so I blindly grabbed the two biggest Hulk collections they had. Which turned out to be The Incredible Hulk Epic Collections 5 & 6, containing The Incredible Hulk 138-178 and Avengers 88. Is that good Hulk? Is it representative of the larger Hulk oeuvre?

Those books end two issues before Wolverine's first appearance.

Got to hold a Hulk #180 yesterday, which was pretty cool. So, I've been thinking about the Hulk as well.

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

I get this funky high on the yellow sun.

I have a massive nostalgia for the Len Wein and Roger Stern Hulk years (immediately after those Epic collections end) because those were some of the first comics (of my dad's) I read when I was a kid. It still holds a place in my mind and I go back to it a lot, they're classic while not being hokey.

Open Marriage Night posted:

Those books end two issues before Wolverine's first appearance.

Got to hold a Hulk #180 yesterday, which was pretty cool. So, I've been thinking about the Hulk as well.
Sorry not sorry, but gonna one up you :)

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Cael posted:

I have a massive nostalgia for the Len Wein and Roger Stern Hulk years (immediately after those Epic collections end) because those were some of the first comics (of my dad's) I read when I was a kid. It still holds a place in my mind and I go back to it a lot, they're classic while not being hokey.

Honestly that whole run where Herb Trimpe is co-plotting with folks is amazing and worth the read. Ewing was pulling from it even in Immortal Hulk.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Wendigo's back there yelling at those kids to get off his lawn and have their fight somewhere else.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

It's not that weird. My kid uses the same stance to push his peas around his plate.

Test Pattern
Dec 20, 2007

Keep scrolling, clod!

Karma Tornado posted:

maybe the Conan rights holders wanted some of that Shuma Gorath Lego set money and when Marvel told them that the giant one-eyed magic octopus fighting Dr Strange in a movie was actually a separate, legally distinct giant one-eyed magic octopus they balked at being treated like talent instead of business partners, who knows.

Lol at CPI (or any of the pulp/adventure holding entities) being "business partners." They are glorified rights-vending machines and are all notorious for having incredibly stupid ideas that every licensee ignores. The stupidest idea that they keep having, of course, is setting up their own production companies to produce their own media. Collect your rents or indulge your creativity, buddy, don't let the one ruin the other.

Karma Tornado
Dec 21, 2007

The worst kind of tornado.

oh, I know, and they're almost certainly doing this to try to milk a little more out of the license before Conan goes public domain and ends up in a Dynamite book where he hangs out with Mandrake the Magician or whatever, but if we're throwing guesses as to why a license might be pulled, why not go full hog.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

That article linked said that Marvel chose not to renew the license, though who knows exactly.

I'll say Dark Horse was ruling with Conan, and I liked the idea of them adapting every Robert E. Howard story. They got pretty close. The recent Conan books have seemed a little generic at Marvel to me, but you can't top Kurt Busiek adapting Howard I think.

Always room for more takes on Conan though. I think with Conan for me, what tends to blow me away is the awe, wonder, and earnestness. When they make it a bit self-aware or campy or modern tone or whatever they're going for at Marvel, it just isn't as magic to me.

I loved how it felt like a historical chronicle of a man's life as well at Dark Horse.

Also when Conan goes public domain, will it be like Sherlock Holmes where later stories by Robert E Howard still won't be public domain for a bit etc? Not sure how that works.

Heavy Metal fucked around with this message at 22:02 on May 20, 2022

Karma Tornado
Dec 21, 2007

The worst kind of tornado.

I absolutely misread that Conan guy's statement, whoops.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Heavy Metal posted:

Also when Conan goes public domain, will it be like Sherlock Holmes where later stories by Robert E Howard still won't be public domain for a bit etc? Not sure how that works.

When it first goes public domain it will just be the first story, but all of Howard's Conan stuff was published in like a 5 year period, so the rest will also become public domain quickly. Any parts of his lore invented by other, later writers won't be public domain.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
Mind you the trademarks for Conan won't be expiring which is a whole other kettle of fish

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

Gripweed posted:

The big problem is that it jettisoned everything interesting about the original character and setting. The optimism and faith in humanity's potential is gone, it's not an ensemble piece, the SSSP isn't a group of professional, talented adults working together for the greater good, there isn't a huge variety of monsters and aliens. And instead of solid episodic stories we get a vague and uninteresting overarching plot that promises to eventually go somewhere, at some point in the future, assuming the series doesn't get canceled.

Agreed, it's missing what made it special in order to make a mystery.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3

Gripweed posted:

This just sounds like Star Trek

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk

Gologle posted:

This just sounds like Star Trek

Nerds are gonna be nerds no matter what the era. Gene and and the Tsuburaya crew was probably drinking from the same source.

to be honest considering star trek ultraman batman and thunderbirds all hit in 1966 it was kind of a banner year for nerd tv

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Cael posted:

Sorry not sorry, but gonna one up you :)

The crossroads era is also a lot of fun. I also highly recommend the defenders if you want some good hulk

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
from Chip! Zdarsky's latest substack, concerning characters being portrayed "incorrectly"

Chip! Zdarsky posted:

I always think of Dan Slott writing Amazing Spider-Man. The guy was on the title for ten years and there were still people complaining that he wasn’t writing Peter Parker “correctly.” I’m sorry but, after ten years, Dan’s version of Spidey IS the character . There’s so much “Spider-Man wouldn’t do that.” Well, I read that comic, it was published by Marvel and is all official so guess what, Spider-Man DOES do that (go down on Black Cat).

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Lol I always thought he kind of sucked

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...
Yeah I'm gotta flat-out disagree with Chip there. I don't care that he's his peer or corporate bedfellow, tenure does not dictate quality.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
His post isn't really about quality it's kind of about meta-ownership of these characters and narratives. " I don't think Spider-Man would do that" vs " well Spider-Man did that so think about why he would do that instead of what you thought he would have done instead."

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
That doesn’t really make sense unless there is more to that quote but even in that reading jumping through hoops to validate writing you think is bad seems tedious?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
I think he just wanted to make a joke about Spider-Man going down on Black Cat.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Spider-Man does what Batman won't

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

A true American hero.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

I mean if you really wanted to do it the more obvious example is that with comics in general (and spider man in particular) nothing that happens in any creative teams run will matter when the next one comes up

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

It's ultimately the push and pull between the various writers and the audience. If fans and later writers like what you did with a character, it will remain a relevant touchstone for that character. If not, it'll be forgotten as soon as feasible. Well, unless the writers get into the Pym loop of "I will be the one to finally redeem x character of y characterization. poo poo, I reminded people about y again."

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Nilbop posted:

Yeah I'm gotta flat-out disagree with Chip there. I don't care that he's his peer or corporate bedfellow, tenure does not dictate quality.
I figure quality is absolutely fair but I read what Chip is saying more as, when a guy has published over a hundred Spider-Man comics, at a certain point the critique is "I don't like how this guy writes Spider-Man,' not "this is out of character for Spider-Man." The latter would be more plausible to someone writing Spidey in a guest one shot where you could just go 'Yeah the Power Pack guy doesn't really get Spider-Man.' If you cared you could say he was having an unusually Ayn Rand day or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!
Basically Chip is saying people are more bitching that they do like how Spidey was portrayed, and that "this is not how Spidey would act" is kind of a dumb argument after he has acted that way for like 100 issues. As a reader, i have zero ownership over Spider-Man, so how I personal think he "should be" written is basically meaningless, esp. when Marvel wants to portray him a certain way. They own the character. That is how he acts. I may feel that Ghost Rider should only be hunting down people who still says Friends is a funny show, but just because I feel that way, doesn't mean it's true. And someone can argue that a character has a certain 'history' of acting some certain way, but in comics nothing makes sense and nothing matters anyway, and how a character acted in 1997 is really not an indicator of how they should or will act in 2020 and beyond. The universe has probably been rebooted 5 times since then anyway.

I agree 100% with Chip, he is not arguing quality, he is pointing out that comic readers have some unwarranted "ownership" over characters they in fact do not own at all.
At least, that's how I read it.

site posted:

Spider-Man does what Batman won't

Genesis does what Nintendon't

enigmahfc fucked around with this message at 20:02 on May 25, 2022