Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

smooth jazz
May 13, 2010

if i was caught doing 100+ mph I'd expect car impounded, a night in jail and a bit of police brutality thrown in for good measure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)

Mental Hospitality posted:

The key to never get caught doing triple digit speeds is to try it one time in a 90's Ford Taurus with horribly warped brake discs when your 18. Scariest and dumbest thing I've ever done in a car and I've been a supremely cautious driver for the last 20 years since.
The only speeding ticket I ever picked up was for going 96 miles per hours in a 1989 corolla. They changed the law a year or law such that it would be a felony, IIRC.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

I once drove my mum's Rover 25 120mph up the M1 in order to arrive at my girlfriend's place before midnight on new year's eve when I was 20.

Only time that road has ever been empty and a Rover 25 is not meant to go 120mph.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Driving on some of those highways through the dakotas and such out west in the US, where you can't see another car or building out to the horizon and its a perfectly straight road, its hard, especially when young not to get curious "I wonder how fast this car would go".

I've always been a really boring driver, never had a ticket, don't speed or hoon around even when I was younger, but even I had the curiosity out in those conditions to take my car up to its max at 145 or something. I don't even want to think about what the lovely cheapest-I-could-find tires I would have had at that time were rated for.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

LeeMajors posted:

I hit 110 or so in a 1985 MR2 once, and I resolved to never do it again.
130 in the '01 mustang. Same feeling.

130 in the '16 was nothing.

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

I've maxed out my last two cars (126 and 137 respectively) once on an empty straight highway at night and neither was dramatic as they were both relatively new and electronically limited. I don't know if I'll try that on my new car which supposedly can do 170.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

ilkhan posted:

130 in the '01 mustang. Same feeling.

130 in the '16 was nothing.

I did get my 2013 SHO up to 120 once on that 85mph freeway outside Austin. It’s governed to 120 but it was a similar feeling to your mustang. It was like nothing to it.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...
Here I thought MaxV testing was pretty standard. 120 in my old Nova, 105 in an MN12 Thunderbird (fuel cut), 135 in a 2000 Mustang. Haven't done it with the 6, but I've broken 100 with it. 115 or so in a '96 Bonneville and 131 in an '03. Not all my decisions are bad, but my automotive ones usually are.

wolfs
Jul 17, 2001

posted by squid gang

90ish is driving to conditions on a toll road by me depending on who’s with you

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

I hit the governor at 113 in a 3.8 ‘92 Olds 88. It wasn’t special or even a very strong memory. I’d imagine most of you drove a 3.8 for like ten years of your life. I’ve done 110 in my FiST and it also wasn’t special.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

Here I thought MaxV testing was pretty standard. 120 in my old Nova, 105 in an MN12 Thunderbird (fuel cut), 135 in a 2000 Mustang. Haven't done it with the 6, but I've broken 100 with it. 115 or so in a '96 Bonneville and 131 in an '03. Not all my decisions are bad, but my automotive ones usually are.

See? This guy gets it.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

Here I thought MaxV testing was pretty standard.

78mph in a 50s gm greyhound bus converted into a rv, 671 detroit pinned to the governor in 4th with taller than stock tires.
took about 3 hours and a gravity assist to get a 100whp n/a diesel bricknose up to 100mph. Its much easier with a turbo... even when it had a dead cylinder*. Not gonna bother with the new longblock. I'm pretty comfortable cruising at 75 in that heavy pig.
130 in a p38 rangie, 120 in a discovery1. same engine I built, still had pull, I didn't. Had to test the engine I specified and built. It cruised much better in the p38 with its 8" longer wheelbase and lack of rear end heaviness that D1s inherently have*.
had a festiva that could pull to 110+?(odo ends at 85) with ease. a bp-swap may have been involved.
140 in a supra. that's the fastest i've gone in a shitbox.

*parts of the rural southwest means you can be in the middle of nowhere for several hours without seeing another person or car.

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

The Jag did 130 without a sweat. Felt like it could keep going for a while.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

I did 105 in a '74 Dodge Dart with a slant 6. It started overheating but otherwise felt pretty stable.

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Least it wasn't a fucking red shell

Dr. Lunchables posted:

See? This guy gets it.

Yes! Especially when you're young and dumb. I hit 175mph in my 2005 E55 on a 2-mile stretch of dead-straight empty interstate at 1 am with tune, upgraded intercooler, and 180mm supercharger pulley. It was still pulling hard when I chickened out. Similar setups claim 200mph top speed, and I believe them.

I'd never do it today. Too much to lose.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

I've been in a 1994 Dodge Caravan and 1995 Mazda MPV when both were pushed to 135mph but I wasn't driving either.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Best I've done is a 135-140 pull in the Aston. I stopped more for fear of going to jail than anything else, since the car clearly had a lot more in it.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
200 plus a few for lots of time at a time. On a banked oval. But then I used to test tires for a living.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp
When I was 18 at my graduation party my uncle who worked at a car dealership borrowed a Boxster and when he showed up he gave me the keys and said "Have fun." This was very dumb for two reasons, one because I drove the car the entire day and wasn't at my own graduation party which pissed my dad off, and two, because I got it up to 128 on a 55 MPH highway in southeastern Wisconsin. I stopped at 128 because the car wouldn't go any faster.

When I was 19 I had a ZX2 (also from my Uncle, oddly enough) and was working in Milwaukee. I got that up to 108 on a stretch of highway 100 and the next day read the owners manual that said the stock tires were rated for 110.

Kids are dumb.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

Summer after I bought my first car, I tried to max it on a very quiet rural road. I got it up to 120 with two passengers and the AC blasting. I'm glad those things were slowing me down, because I put the car in a ditch. Another 10mph and I might have rolled it instead. I, too, was dumb.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ekEM3VyaDow

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

Here I thought MaxV testing was pretty standard.

I think you’ll find most of the posts here have something in common.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

DanTheFryingPan posted:

Even on the Autobahn I prefer around a nice 130km/h most of the time because going faster tends to be hell on fuel economy.
I do too usually, but it's because my cars get very noisy and yeah the fuel economy goes to hell in a way it doesn't have to. Obviously the air resistance is a law but it can be dealt with somewhat with better aerodynamics, gearing and engine efficiency. So it's a bit annoying and occasionally dangerouns to constantly be passed by TDI Skodas going 150-160.

Anyway what I was getting at is that about 120-140km/h is a reasonable speed for me here and decent range at those speesd in cold weather is what I'd want to see if I were buying a new EV, rather than a huge "city" range.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

mobby_6kl posted:

Anyway what I was getting at is that about 120-140km/h is a reasonable speed for me here and decent range at those speesd in cold weather is what I'd want to see if I were buying a new EV, rather than a huge "city" range.

I think that physics means that if you want an EV that does 200miles at 140kph in cold weather, you're getting one that does 380 miles of puttering around a city whether you want one or not.

EVs are just opening our eyes to how insanely inefficient gas engines are in slow city or stop and go traffic.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Twerk from Home posted:

I think that physics means that if you want an EV that does 200miles at 140kph in cold weather, you're getting one that does 380 miles of puttering around a city whether you want one or not.

EVs are just opening our eyes to how insanely inefficient gas engines are in slow city or stop and go traffic.

Yep.

Take a 300 mile range EV. That immediately becomes 210 miles because you don't drive them from 100% to 0, you drive them from 80% to 10%.

And they don't get that kinda range on the highway, so drop your 210 by another 20%, to 168.

And they don't get that kinda range in the winter, so drop it another 10%, you're at 151.

Now, what if you're driving from Sacramento to Tahoe? You're gonna lose another 20% due to elevation change.

Your real world max range is now 121 miles.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

Tried to see how fast my Ninja 650 would go... got to 125 when the rear tire decided to tell me it wasn't balanced properly and almost put me in a tankslapper. I rode very conservatively until I eventually sold that bike on Halloween 2012. I haven't ridden since and I miss it very much, but people these days cant drive for poo poo.

GabbiLB
Jul 14, 2004

~toot~
Did 75 in a 93 Chevy Van once...in like 2010. Don't recommend it!

I hit 150 on my Tuono and almost got blown off, turns out tucking doesn't help much on a naked bike.

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

Lawrence Phillips Always #1 to Me
I got my 95 SC 400 up to 120 mph once in rural Iowa. The car was pretty calm at that speed. It was not a good idea.

In my experience, vehicles from American brand names will not maintain cruise control speeds over 85 mph. Japanese car cruise control doesn't seem to give a poo poo.

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this
I got my grand marquis up to 100 once, it was terrifying. The car did not like it and neither did I. It was better on a (cruiser) motorcycle believe it or not, except for the fear in the back of my head that I'm one unfortunate pebble or bug on the helmet visor from being a red smear on the road. I have no desire to ever reach that speed again, my own personal speed limit is 75, I have no desire to ever go beyond that again.

Gangringo
Jul 22, 2007

In the first age, in the first battle, when the shadows first lengthened, one sat.

He chose the path of perpetual contentment.

I rented a Golf R from Turo for a road trip. I don't regularly check my speedometer but my butt speedo was calibrated to my Fiesta ST. Got a ticket for going 95 when I thought I was in the low 80s.

Smooth fast cars are dangerous.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Gangringo posted:

I rented a Golf R from Turo for a road trip. I don't regularly check my speedometer but my butt speedo was calibrated to my Fiesta ST. Got a ticket for going 95 when I thought I was in the low 80s.

Smooth fast cars are dangerous.

You're touching on a huge part of why I love subcompacts: They and convertibles are basically the only cars left that do not try to fully isolate you from the road and everything going on around you.

The Fiesta ST is basically perfect because it's quick and capable, but you feel how fast you're going at all speeds. Even it is much, much quieter inside than basically any 90s car!

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Honestly that's why I love shitboxes, the fear of death keeps me from doing anything too stupid. At least until I get on a track.

*edit: also predictably, BMW making GBS threads into your eyes once more

https://twitter.com/_theintercooler/status/1527413217504415749?s=20&t=zSWxTU_ReC_HJ1_i7nwX2g

ONE HUNDRED AND TWENTY NINE THOUSAND POUNDS

Olympic Mathlete fucked around with this message at 18:06 on May 20, 2022

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Olympic Mathlete posted:

And they'll sell every single one of them no problem.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Olympic Mathlete posted:

Honestly that's why I love shitboxes, the fear of death keeps me from doing anything too stupid. At least until I get on a track.

https://twitter.com/_theintercooler/status/1527413217504415749?s=20&t=zSWxTU_ReC_HJ1_i7nwX2g

Weight or price?

King of False Promises
Jul 31, 2000

I got my '88 Scirocco 16v up to ~120 or so once on a long bridge late at night. It handled it fine, but I realized how dumb that was and never tried anything like that again.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

I think this looks sick and I wish I could afford one (or have a chance in hell of being put on a list)

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Got up to about 160mph last Sunday in the middle of nowhere, west-ish of Cochrane, with a scant 235hp. Cessna 182, faster than what I usually fly but still slow by plane standards.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Olympic Mathlete posted:

Well I can tell you which one I'd rather have

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

KakerMix posted:

Well I can tell you which one I'd rather have

Honestly? I'd sell the old one and buy the new one and pocket the difference. Nostalgia has no place in the Temple of Speed at all Costs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Olympic Mathlete posted:

Yay, BMW built another rolling stat sheet