Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

I get the complaint but tbh I liked all of the changed heroes more after their reworks

ninjewtsu fucked around with this message at 14:58 on May 9, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
Yes - I just don't see how it made QM matchmaking worse, it seems like that should at the very least have helped with QM if you're mirroring a more granular selection of roles. But in reality the role rework didn't really do anything, they only did it because reddit whined about it for years and it was low effort.

Elephunk
Dec 6, 2007

ninjewtsu posted:

I get the complaint but tbh I liked all of the changed heroes more after their reworks

I miss some of the OG designs (especially Tassadar) but I also like the reworks. New Tassadar shoulda just been another seperate starcraft protoss hero

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

I think most of the reworks made the heroes more homogenous and made their kits more generally balanced instead of having one really strong thing. This legitimately has pros and cons but it's not what I find fun.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

The real problem is that they never got creative with new heroes again after that, instead of getting creative and then wrangling it into the rough shape of a traditional hero

The only rework change I particularly miss is assault strain after aba's mild rework. Having a talent that didn't directly rely on the level 1 talent for damage made shifting build into locusts later in the game more palatable, and the more I play the more I go "you know melee locusts with a cleave for wave clear instead of slow projectiles for structure siege actually sounds pretty good right about now"

Minor grip compare to everyone who got their hero completely overhauled though

Elephunk
Dec 6, 2007

I like how Samuro is a melee assassin but the most useful thing he does is clear camps solo + macro play like abathur/LV in my experience

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.
Rammstein when?

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
Just realised there's no Jaina skin for BfA-era Jaina, and that's criminal given how much better her BfA design is.

cmdrk
Jun 10, 2013

No Wave posted:

I think most of the reworks made the heroes more homogenous and made their kits more generally balanced instead of having one really strong thing. This legitimately has pros and cons but it's not what I find fun.

yeah, for better or for worse that's the direction HOTS has been going for quite a while. I wish they'd go back to HOTS being the quirky fun game instead of trying to ape other MOBAs.

At least I got my.. er.. 6.5 year anniversary banner with the last patch :toot:

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011
I got both my 6th year and my 6.5th year anniversary banners the other day. No clue why, considering we're close to 7 years I thought?

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
I like how every time I come back to this, I'm really like 'Yeah, why did I quit' then I meet anyone playing an OW Hero competently, and remember.

gently caress they're just horrible, each & every one in their own way. Especially to Casters or Melee.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Tracer is why I quit and Tracer is why I'm staying quit.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 15:19 on May 19, 2022

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
The last time I played Zarya felt fair enough, also translates surprisingly well m. It felt real good using her kit.

I'm also biased toward Junkrat he is my special boy

But I agree about Tracer and Genji, just the most annoying characters on the planet.

Doctor Syrup
Apr 7, 2009

I've never felt like Tracer is especially unfun to play against, but I'm usually playing some fat gently caress with hard cc like Muradin so it's easy to stun her and set up a kill.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Tracer and genji (and the stealth heroes) do a great job of bringing that FPS sniper/spy class feeling into the game. You hate them whether they are on your team (poor damage output) OR the enemy team (obnoxious as gently caress)

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

I feel like adding characters that are deliberately designed to be as annoying as possible was a mistake

Mind over Matter
Jun 1, 2007
Four to a dollar.

Kith posted:

I feel like adding characters that are deliberately designed to be as annoying as possible was a mistake

100% agree, Murky has no place in the game.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."
If Tracer is bothering you go Valeera and they won't be able to play the game anymore. Go Genji and they'll kill themselves and their entire team by accidentally shooting you.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Kith posted:

but murky is the greatest character in the game

cmdrk
Jun 10, 2013

Mind over Matter posted:

:getout:

for real though, the most memorable games of being completely and utterly destroyed have been by OWatch characters. mostly commonly Tracer but sometimes Genji.

Zarya feels good, D'Va is alright. I never seen people play Mei or Ana in QM.

in other news, last night I was demolished by an enemy Medivh. Well over 100K damage, never died once, MVP. :birddrugs:
Looked him up and he was like level 50 with 2 games as Medivh. smurf account much? IDGI.

cmdrk fucked around with this message at 03:38 on May 20, 2022

Machai
Feb 21, 2013

Murky is my friend and the only character I still play outside of ARAM.

I love baiting opposing Butchers into ambushes.

Mind over Matter
Jun 1, 2007
Four to a dollar.

Honestly the only OW character that annoys me any significant amount is Genji, and at least you have to be good with him to really turn him into a terror. Bad Genjis just die.

I haven't played just a ton recently, but personally only a few characters bug me so much that I feel they're bad for the game, and some of those are only because I mostly play QM too. TB/Smash Varrain, Murky, Abathur, and Medivh. There is very little I dread more in HotS than getting Medivh on my team in QM.

Kalko
Oct 9, 2004

Mei is fun to play and doesn't feel oppressive like some of the others. I thought they nerfed Genji into the ground, but that was admittedly a long time ago and before they started doing more frequent balance changes in maintenance mode. Is he more like release Genji these days? Can't say I've actually seen him in any QM games since I started playing again.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

Kalko posted:

Mei is fun to play and doesn't feel oppressive like some of the others. I thought they nerfed Genji into the ground, but that was admittedly a long time ago and before they started doing more frequent balance changes in maintenance mode. Is he more like release Genji these days? Can't say I've actually seen him in any QM games since I started playing again.

He's still good at securing kills and then escaping but the change to make healing wells invincible was a big hit to his popularity. Well sniping was one of the most bullshit things to deal with and it's good they made it impossible.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.

cmdrk posted:

in other news, last night I was demolished by an enemy Medivh. Well over 100K damage, never died once, MVP. :birddrugs:
Looked him up and he was like level 50 with 2 games as Medivh. smurf account much? IDGI.
But.... I didn't play Medivh last night?

(It's literally all I spend my time doing with him)

E: Also, my only issue is Zarya is her being a 'Support' so you end up endlessly in QM with 'no tank teams' except one side has Zarya. I've never seen the Zarya team lose in that circumstance.

WITCHCRAFT
Aug 28, 2007

Berries That Burn
Whitemane is so fun with the autoattack/searing lash build. Amazing heals during teamfights, and you do those heals by damaging enemy heroes. I had a match where I healed triple the enemy team's healer, and I was only 3000 hero damage behind our fed Butcher. Any kind of slow or AoE stun makes her damaging ult loving amazing. Pop heals on everyone nearby (including you), activate your D skill for -25 armor on self and +25% spellpower, drop searing lash and your ult on a group of slowed/stunned enemy heroes. Suddenly everyone on your team has full health, you have full mana, and the enemy heroes are trying to limp away.

BURN IN THE LIGHT :fuckoff:

Without something to keep them there though, they can literally just walk away from that ult and whoops it did nothing!!

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Mind over Matter posted:

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

If Tracer is bothering you go Valeera and they won't be able to play the game anymore. Go Genji and they'll kill themselves and their entire team by accidentally shooting you.

i don't recall the last time i played HOTS in a mode that wasn't ARAM tbh

WITCHCRAFT
Aug 28, 2007

Berries That Burn
help i can't stop building Hundred Fists Kharazim

Insight at level 1

Totem talent to taste with your team

Blinding Speed

The healing ult if you're good, the damage ult if you're bad

13 you take the counter to enemy comp or just quicksilver if you and your team are bad

level 16: I AM MUSCLE WIZARD; I CAST UNLIMITED FIST ARTS

it's not the most effective heal build; heck, it's not the best healing build on Kharazim

but :sbahj: does it feel good to dash to an enemy hero and DO MANY SLAPS (that also reduce my cooldowns, which includes an AoE heal)

It makes the screen shake and you punch them a lot really fast. That means its really good!

you can probably do it with other level 1 talents but insight lets you go ham and basically infinite fast-punch and dash, which is what makes it fun to do this build

e: tool tip does not state this, but after you dash and trigger hundred fists, you can move and you will still trigger all 6 attacks. really good against a retreating hero that has no disable to drop on you. you dash and then walk with em while you spit out FISTS

WITCHCRAFT fucked around with this message at 06:41 on Jun 1, 2022

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
Game is a fuckin' wasteland for QM now. You're either in a stack rolling over pub teams, or being rolled, with occasionally your round being decided by which team got the Abathur autist savant.

WITCHCRAFT
Aug 28, 2007

Berries That Burn

Shockeh posted:

Game is a fuckin' wasteland for QM now. You're either in a stack rolling over pub teams, or being rolled

QM has always felt like this to me. They never managed to get a good matchmaking algorithm going for QM. Sometimes you stomp. Sometimes you get stomped. Sometimes, you have the superior team comp. Sometimes, your team comp is garbage. Sometimes, your team is skilled and works in sync while the enemy team runs in circles. Sometimes, your team runs in circles while the enemy team is skilled and in sync. Sometimes, your team has heroes that the enemy can't counter. Sometimes, the enemy team has heroes you can't counter. It is either a slog or a free win.

Very rarely, you get an even match and its real good. Such is life...

Kevin Bacon
Sep 22, 2010

I think that's probably a compromise of letting players pick their hero before queuing up. Not only does the match making algorithm have to find equal players in terms of skill and whatever other variables it might use, but it also has to try to put together a somewhat balanced team (when 50% of players in a given mmr bracket has picked the same dogshit assassin probably). Maybe it could have been remedied by having a much larger player base, but I don't think hots was ever that popular?

Proud graduate of the Andy Reid coaching clinic.
I haven’t really had that experience in QM. Of course you get stomps every once in a while but I get decent match quality 3/4 of the time doing it. The worst part of QM is getting Blackhearts Bay.

Meanwhile I have been playing ranked and it has been alright. People tilt way harder but I haven’t had too many thrown games. My placement games put me in silver 3 and it feels like it will be impossible to climb out after about 50 games. It could be I’m placed where I should be, although 3 years ago I was Gold 2 and feel like I’m better at the game now than I was then.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002

by VideoGames
Hell Gem
Do they still charge $10 a character in a dead game?

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011
is $10 the same as 10,000 gold? if so then yeah. They basically wanted to prevent people from complaining there’s no new characters or maps, but they still do balance patches and I think there’s new cosmetics? I don’t really pay attention to that side tbh. Deathwing is still 15k gold like at release as well iirc, so they aren’t bothering to update those.

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

A Shameful Path Led You Here

SirSamVimes posted:

but murky is the greatest character in the game

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

Ort posted:

I haven’t really had that experience in QM. Of course you get stomps every once in a while but I get decent match quality 3/4 of the time doing it. The worst part of QM is getting Blackhearts Bay.

Meanwhile I have been playing ranked and it has been alright. People tilt way harder but I haven’t had too many thrown games. My placement games put me in silver 3 and it feels like it will be impossible to climb out after about 50 games. It could be I’m placed where I should be, although 3 years ago I was Gold 2 and feel like I’m better at the game now than I was then.

I’d like to play ranked games but I don’t want to wait 12 minutes to play a dead game with psychos.

Proud graduate of the Andy Reid coaching clinic.

Rexicon1 posted:

I’d like to play ranked games but I don’t want to wait 12 minutes to play a dead game with psychos.

Having good match quality in QM made me avoid ranked for a long time, but I like the draft piece and feeling like I’m playing for some stake makes me more engaged.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Kevin Bacon posted:

Maybe it could have been remedied by having a much larger player base, but I don't think hots was ever that popular?

i recall at the time blizzard killed the HOTS esports stuff it had like half the playerbase of DOTA, which on one hand is 50% of what one competitor had but on the other hand that's still a gently caress ton of players

playercount dropped off a cliff once they killed the esports though

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

Death to Esports

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mind over Matter
Jun 1, 2007
Four to a dollar.

I strongly suspect that the player count drop was more from the extreme slowing of support than it was from killing HGC. I can't prove that beyond a hunch, but it's certainly why I play much less these days.