Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Aranan posted:

That scry rule is great and I'd like to see it tested in EDH as well. The partner changes are intriguing, although I wonder if (a) is "-1 hand size per partner" or "-1 hand size for having two partners" because as written having two commanders is a hand size of 5.

The exact rule is "Starting hand size is 8-(# of commanders)", so a single commander player starts with 7 and a partner/background player starts with 6.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
Alright, I figured it was something like that. I'm good with that rule as well.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

Batterypowered7 posted:

Thoughts on this incomplete The Beamtown Bullies list? I know we've had a back and forth about Royal Assassin/Avatar of Woe, but what about the rest of the cards? How many lands should I run? What are some other includes I've missed?

soulgorger org and ebonblade reaper are decent, though you need a way to deal 1 damage with the org. I don't think bronze bombshell is worth it. Assuming you have to do 120 damage, that's a turn devoted to dealing like 6% of what you need, unless you have some way to untap bullies or something. You're not running worldgorger, which is brutal. Personally I'd run sire of insanity over dragon mage, you don't really want to refill everyone's hands.

Have you actually thought through how you will win the game? Reanimating horrifying creatures and hurting one opponent really badly is just playing kingmaker to me in some ways.

I'd probably run around 32 lands, but 3-4 of that MDFCs and if you want to actually win focus on looting to get to your powerful kill cards rather than running so many "meh" creatures. Steel Hellkite is neat but it depends on your opponents cooperating, which depends on your meta.

Also if you want you can use things like skirge familiar and other instant speed discard effect (several lootings are now at instant speed), then reanimate a creature in response to it's trigger going on the stack - so you can use the Eldrazi reshuffle titans, if you want.

Autumns veil. Or Veil of summer, definitely the better one but probably both.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

pseudanonymous posted:

soulgorger org and ebonblade reaper are decent, though you need a way to deal 1 damage with the org.

Homeward Path

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

pseudanonymous posted:

soulgorger org and ebonblade reaper are decent, though you need a way to deal 1 damage with the org. I don't think bronze bombshell is worth it. Assuming you have to do 120 damage, that's a turn devoted to dealing like 6% of what you need, unless you have some way to untap bullies or something. You're not running worldgorger, which is brutal. Personally I'd run sire of insanity over dragon mage, you don't really want to refill everyone's hands.

Have you actually thought through how you will win the game? Reanimating horrifying creatures and hurting one opponent really badly is just playing kingmaker to me in some ways.

I'd probably run around 32 lands, but 3-4 of that MDFCs and if you want to actually win focus on looting to get to your powerful kill cards rather than running so many "meh" creatures. Steel Hellkite is neat but it depends on your opponents cooperating, which depends on your meta.

Also if you want you can use things like skirge familiar and other instant speed discard effect (several lootings are now at instant speed), then reanimate a creature in response to it's trigger going on the stack - so you can use the Eldrazi reshuffle titans, if you want.

Autumns veil. Or Veil of summer, definitely the better one but probably both.

The combo is Bronze Bombshell + Thornbite Staff.

I guess the plan would be to take out two opponents with Leveler/Inverter and ?????????? the third. The deck, as written, definitely needs a ton of work.

Toshimo posted:

Homeward Path

Oh gently caress.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Here's a rules question for you.

I am building a Vazi, Keen Negotiator deck focused on giving my opponents treasure tokens while destroying their lands to force them to spend treasure. I am calling it the NFT deck.

If I include an Upwelling and someone casts an artifact destruction spell of some sort, say, and my opponents respond by popping their treasures into their Mana pool which does not empty, and they use it on a later turn, does it still count as being from a treasure source?

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Heath posted:

I am building a Vazi, Keen Negotiator deck focused on giving my opponents treasure tokens while destroying their lands to force them to spend treasure. I am calling it the NFT deck.

If I include an Upwelling and someone casts an artifact destruction spell of some sort, say, and my opponents respond by popping their treasures into their Mana pool which does not empty, and they use it on a later turn, does it still count as being from a treasure source?

Yes. And it is miserable to track.

I brought my Drake
Jul 10, 2014

These high-G injections have some serious side effects after pulling so many jumps.

Yesterday afternoon I was playing in a pod with my Zedruu deck and someone was playing the Shorikai precon and decided to put Swift Reconfiguration on my Starke of Rath. He wanted to see what would happen.

Starkecar survived most of the game.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Heath posted:

Are you running Structural Assault and stuffy doll/brash taunter for shits and giggles?

logis
Dec 30, 2004
Slippery Tilde

I brought my Drake posted:

Yesterday afternoon I was playing in a pod with my Zedruu deck and someone was playing the Shorikai precon and decided to put Swift Reconfiguration on my Starke of Rath. He wanted to see what would happen.

Got a list?
How often does Starke (after donating) just end up killing your Zedruu?

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

I brought my Drake posted:

Someone swift reconfigured my Atraxa and was like um okay and then proceeded to board wipe every turn until I got a couple of emblems and ended the game. People don't even seem to read their own cards.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

pseudanonymous posted:

Someone swift reconfigured my Atraxa and was like um okay and then proceeded to board wipe every turn until I got a couple of emblems and ended the game. People don't even seem to read their own cards.

They probably just think it works like Darksteel Mutation and turn their brains off.

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

pseudanonymous posted:

This is going to be real fun in a month or two when Myrkul, Lord of Bones becomes available:

"Why yes, I'll happily make my Drannith Magistrate into an enchantment. No, you can't him him with Abrade now. He's an enchantment. Nope, Wrath of God isn't going to do it either. Are you packing Tranquility maybe? Really, not since Seventh edition?"

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Sigarda Host of Herons will be amazing in him

I brought my Drake
Jul 10, 2014

These high-G injections have some serious side effects after pulling so many jumps.

logis posted:

Got a list?
How often does Starke (after donating) just end up killing your Zedruu?

This is only the third time I've played her. Still figuring out what to keep: https://deckbox.org/sets/3016738

I waited on Starke until there were juicier targets.

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

the custom teferi i made for my friend's deck arrived

Party Miser
Apr 1, 2011
It’s weird that people don’t seem to recognize that swift reconfiguration can be used to protect your stuff. People have less artifact kill stuff than creature.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
I think they see the "loses all" part and their brain goes oh! It's a disabling card! They don't think about it any further or think about how sometimes card types are a liability for certain high value targets. Some creatures have passives stapled on them where they really aren't there to attack or do anything at all (like any of the 1 drop gain a life when creatures enter things) that would be much better protected by not being vulnerable to creature wipes and such

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Or something like a Seedborn Muse!

E:

Lol

https://youtu.be/lZ0dUuapvtI

Batterypowered7 fucked around with this message at 21:59 on May 22, 2022

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

This seems silly.

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

Kurieg posted:

This seems silly.

I have to find a place for this. Tokens are one of my favourite edh things. Giada would be cool but I just know that it'll be a useless draw most of the time there

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
https://twitter.com/tolariancollege/status/1528508661374455808?s=21&t=RxQWipuCxmgKCLKQJJB8Dg

Was listening to Casual Tryhards, a local pair of my gaming buddies do this podcast for people who love magic and used to be for grinders but since COVID has relaxed to be more about the game as a hobby and a collectible, and James made a point recently that WotC’s line for the last few years is that “not every product has to be for every player” and it’s hitting the point where I don’t feel like ANY product is for me anymore. Also, like, I feel bad for anyone who’s bought the special $100 commander Secret Lair that comes with some foils, they really billed it as something new & special, and now they’re regular product line is just going ham and selling fully blinged decks for premium.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Kurieg posted:

This seems silly.

Will be fun with

Whenever ~ attacks a player with 8 or more lands you may look at the top 8 cards. Choose a creature and put it into play tapped and attacking that player.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Will be fun with

Whenever ~ attacks a player with 8 or more lands you may look at the top 8 cards. Choose a creature and put it into play tapped and attacking that player.

There's no way the attack triggers interact. The Myriad owlbears come into play tapped and attacking, and the Creatures put into play from the owlbear come in tapped and attacking, So all of them miss the "When X Attacks" part of the Myriad and Owlbear triggers.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
neat, another wincon card for white.

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

Got back into magic recently and started playing Commander. It's the most fun I've had with this game, even when I loose.

Is there a video or something out there giving tips about shuffling? Because the 99 sleeved cards can get super unwieldy, and I end up dividing my deck into 4 parts and shuffle those, which takes more time than I like.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Legion Loyalty really ought to be "nontoken" creatures.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Kurieg posted:

There's no way the attack triggers interact. The Myriad owlbears come into play tapped and attacking, and the Creatures put into play from the owlbear come in tapped and attacking, So all of them miss the "When X Attacks" part of the Myriad and Owlbear triggers.

Right, yeah, I keep forgetting how big the Declare Attackers step is.

On a side note, CL2 set box preorder prices are down $30 from the start of spoiler season. Not sure I've seen that happen lately.

Macdeo Lurjtux fucked around with this message at 18:36 on May 23, 2022

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

it's not so much that as it is how "When X Attacks" is determined. It's when a creature goes from "is not an attacker" to "is an attacker", if they are created already attacking then they did not "Attack" for the purposes of triggers.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Attacking is basically the action of being tapped + declared as an attacker. Creatures that spawn in as the result of an attack trigger don't do that part since they've pregamed it. Imagine they're materializing into existence mid-swing.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Vincent posted:

Got back into magic recently and started playing Commander. It's the most fun I've had with this game, even when I loose.

Is there a video or something out there giving tips about shuffling? Because the 99 sleeved cards can get super unwieldy, and I end up dividing my deck into 4 parts and shuffle those, which takes more time than I like.

To quote 38 Special, the trick is to hold on loosely but not let go

Party Miser
Apr 1, 2011
If there's a replacement effect for the myriad tokens, like jinnie Faye for example, are the tokens still removed no matter what they are, or do they stay because they're not the same object that the trigger was supposed to make?

Robviously
Aug 21, 2010

Genius. Billionaire. Playboy. Philanthropist.

They stay because the token being made isn't the same object and doesn't have "exile at end of turn" or whatever the wording proper.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
I think this white card is the first time I've felt like using my sundial of the infinite.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

That card would play well in a jank deck full of Unearth/Blitz/Dash creatures

Maybe helmed by Isshin?

Silhouette fucked around with this message at 00:41 on May 24, 2022

Thom Yorke raps
Nov 2, 2004

How do y'all share cards between decks? I've been using mtggoldfish to print black & white proxies for each of my decks that share a card, and then either using the proxy or shuffling the actual card around - I was gonna put all the shared cards in a binder and use it as a lending library, but the cards are always in my decks, so I just keep a stack of the proxies for the decks that currently have the real card, and then I can easily see where I have the real card. But would love a better system. I've considered buying proxies but feel silly spending money on 'fake' cards. And my girlfriend can print pretty good proxies in color, but they end up a little thicker than regular cards.

Maybe I'll bite the bullet and use MPCFill with custom art for each card (I don't want them to look like real cards, I just don't want to buy multiple copies of $10+ dollar cards)

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Thom Yorke raps posted:

How do y'all share cards between decks? I've been using mtggoldfish to print black & white proxies for each of my decks that share a card, and then either using the proxy or shuffling the actual card around - I was gonna put all the shared cards in a binder and use it as a lending library, but the cards are always in my decks, so I just keep a stack of the proxies for the decks that currently have the real card, and then I can easily see where I have the real card. But would love a better system. I've considered buying proxies but feel silly spending money on 'fake' cards. And my girlfriend can print pretty good proxies in color, but they end up a little thicker than regular cards.

Maybe I'll bite the bullet and use MPCFill with custom art for each card (I don't want them to look like real cards, I just don't want to buy multiple copies of $10+ dollar cards)

Two fully proxied Commander decks came out to $38, shipping included. The cards were thick, but still thin enough that I wouldn't want to mix them in with real cards. I just went with standard art in "extended art" frames for all the cards so that they'd still be easily recognizable at a glance. Unless I really, really like the way a deck plays, I'll probably just be going forward with more purchases from them in the future because gently caress the RL and gently caress the way Commander affects certain cards' prices.

E:

For VS 2PCG (a living card game), I just photocopied staples in color, cut 'em out, and slipped them over lovely cards that didn't get played in any deck. They looked good enough in sleeves.

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

Every deck I use is 100% proxies using with mpcfill and a+ would recommend. I prefer the S33 card option over S30. Biggest thing is that if you get your poo poo stolen at any point (store / car theft / etc) you’re only out the $40

Also thankyou5c gives $5 off btw

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Knot My President! posted:

Every deck I use is 100% proxies using with mpcfill and a+ would recommend. I prefer the S33 card option over S30. Biggest thing is that if you get your poo poo stolen at any point (store / car theft / etc) you’re only out the $40

Also thankyou5c gives $5 off btw

Oh poo poo, yeah? I was thinking about getting that Adeline deck I've linked a few times and maybe the Bullies deck next. $5 off would be almost 1/7 off!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

http://mythicspoiler.com/clb/cards/archivistofoghma.html

Ooh, I like that.