Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/Osinttechnical/status/1527023166090100736

Nick Soapdish posted:

This got a good chuckle from me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

If Ukraine just made a run at Moscow they'd probably do much better than they should. Would assume any competent garrisons along the way have long been gutted and moved into Eastern Ukraine. Like capturing NYC with Mexican cavalry in 1936 hearts of iron.

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I have come to discourse on the profound inequities of the American political system.

I think that the 2016 coup was a laughably bad coup launched by interests in the military, rather than by the remain of Gülen's faction. I also think that the coup leaders dramatically overestimated their support inside the military and as a result, failed miserably. Either way, even if the coup was an elaborate and badly stage managed self-coup attempt or false flag, the result is the same. Erdogan has completely emptied out the state bureaucracy and replaced it with people who are answerable to the AKP and himself. Erdogan is probably more secure in his power than Putin is, because Erdogan's cronies personally owe their loyalty to him directly instead of Putin's more feudalist style dictatorship.

Basically, don't expect either of these men to go anywhere any time soon. You don't end up the sole dictator of any country without very careful consideration of who your allies are.

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

A Festivus Miracle posted:

I think that the 2016 coup was a laughably bad coup launched by interests in the military, rather than by the remain of Gülen's faction. I also think that the coup leaders dramatically overestimated their support inside the military and as a result, failed miserably. Either way, even if the coup was an elaborate and badly stage managed self-coup attempt or false flag, the result is the same. Erdogan has completely emptied out the state bureaucracy and replaced it with people who are answerable to the AKP and himself. Erdogan is probably more secure in his power than Putin is, because Erdogan's cronies personally owe their loyalty to him directly instead of Putin's more feudalist style dictatorship.

Basically, don't expect either of these men to go anywhere any time soon. You don't end up the sole dictator of any country without very careful consideration of who your allies are.

Yeah, basically. Perhaps the CIA knows who the real ringleaders are, but it doesn't actually matter. All they accomplished was doing a laughably bad job, and cementing Erdogan's grip on power for a long, long time.

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

Oh wait. Laughably bad coup attempt? It was the CIA, wasn't it.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Hyrax Attack! posted:

If Ukraine just made a run at Moscow they'd probably do much better than they should. Would assume any competent garrisons along the way have long been gutted and moved into Eastern Ukraine. Like capturing NYC with Mexican cavalry in 1936 hearts of iron.

I just google maps'd this and it's about a 12 hour car drive from Kyiv to Moscow, 900 km. That's a lot of fuel.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

If Ukraine even looked like they might be massing for a strike on Moscow, you'd see nukes drop. I will eat a ban if I'm wrong.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
Not even the OTR-21 could make Moscow from Ukraine's northernmost border point.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

If Ukraine even looked like they might be massing for a strike on Moscow, you'd see nukes drop. I will eat a ban if I'm wrong.

Oh, we probably all would.

Joke Miriam
Nov 17, 2019

Does Ukraine currently possess the means to take out the Crimean Bridge? And if not, can they get them from Lend Lease?

I get that taking Crimea is the moonshot here, but if it was going to happen it would have to begin with knocking out the bridge.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Hey, Ukraine, wanna test our latest shore-based anti-ship missile platform for us?

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones

Joke Miriam posted:

Does Ukraine currently possess the means to take out the Crimean Bridge? And if not, can they get them from Lend Lease?

I get that taking Crimea is the moonshot here, but if it was going to happen it would have to begin with knocking out the bridge.

They didn't get that one...

From Twitter

https://twitter.com/UAWeapons/status/1527051521975779328?t=TdlkzKZpi9CxVwNhxvUBCw&s=19

Syrian Lannister fucked around with this message at 23:13 on May 19, 2022

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Joke Miriam posted:

The short answer is no. Bridges are actually pretty tough, and I betcha that the Crimean bridge is significantly overbuilt. Even if NATO were in a shooting war with Russia, the Crimea Bridge would be a very difficult target.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Joke Miriam posted:

I'm betting they possess the means to keep it repeatedly sown with artillery-scattered mines, if they can't knock it down outright.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

I can not imagine why it would be significantly overbuilt.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Madurai posted:

I'm betting they possess the means to keep it repeatedly sown with artillery-scattered mines, if they can't knock it down outright.

I'm not certain on the exact numbers, but I think the bridge is at the extreme range of Ukraine's longest range rocket artillery. While a bridge is a long and tall target, it presents a very narrow profile against attacks from above, and in this case, a miss of one meter might as well be a mile. Not only that, but scattered mines on a hard surface are dangerous, but typically nowhere near as difficult to clear as on soft or overgrown terrain. They'll certainly be very easy to see.

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

A.o.D. posted:

I'm not certain on the exact numbers, but I think the bridge is at the extreme range of Ukraine's longest range rocket artillery. While a bridge is a long and tall target, it presents a very narrow profile against attacks from above, and in this case, a miss of one meter might as well be a mile. Not only that, but scattered mines on a hard surface are dangerous, but typically nowhere near as difficult to clear as on soft or overgrown terrain. They'll certainly be very easy to see.

Sail a tractor to one of the supports

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Coward protects his tweets. :lol:

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

mrmcd posted:

Oh wait. Laughably bad coup attempt? It was the CIA, wasn't it.

If it was that plane would’ve been atomized.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Madurai posted:

It is hundreds plural of km from Ukrainian controlled land.

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

Every step, a fucking adventure.

mlmp08 posted:

Looking at google earth, wikipedia and the latest twitter maps, even an ATACMS wouldn't have the range to hit the bridge.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

mlmp08 posted:

Roughly 230 km to Tokmak, the closest Ukrainian-held position I could find.

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid
There is no way to take out the bridge. They have no ballistic missiles with enough range let alone accuracy. Blowing up bridges with airplanes using unguided munitions is hard, it's pretty far for a MiG-29, and the place is swarming with air defenses. Boats carrying commandos would very definitely be intercepted if they could even get that far, which they can't.

And moreover taking out the bridge would not impose a severe logistical constraint on the Russians anyway. Most of the stuff they need is already in Crimea.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time
Could they just cut off the water after or does Russia still control that area?

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler
Simply have a submarine torpedo the bridge.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

my kinda ape posted:

ELON!!!!!

bad_fmr
Nov 28, 2007

Maybe they should lend-lease a few Tomahawks.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

mlmp08 posted:

I assume that neutralizing the bridge is a moot point until they're well into the hypothetical counterattack into Crimea.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

my kinda ape posted:

Just put a Tesla on it and light it on fire. Burns longer than thermite

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
The bridge is more useful standing, as it gives the Russians easy means to retreat should the Ukrainians make a serious push. If they manage to recapture Crimea, then demolishing the bridge makes sense. Destroying the bridge will encourage some defenders to fight harder, and the Russians do not need it to move troops or supplies into Ukraine or Crimea. They have sufficient means to supply Crimea by sea, and the long land border gives them ample opportunity to support operations elsewhere.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Getting close enough to cut off the water supply (i think they also have water piped in from the russian mainland as well) and targetted destruction of Sevastopol naval facilities & structures would be better than attempting an invasion of Crimea (while hopefully avoiding Clancyland).

Jasper Tin Neck
Nov 14, 2008

"Scientifically proven, rich and creamy."

There are only two land routes into Crimea from the mainland and Ukraine doesn't have much by way of amphibious assault capability. Thus the most likely outcome for Crimea is that a referendum on its status will be agreed upon as part of a peace treaty, once Russia has been pushed back to its pre-2014 borders on the mainland.

Then it remains to be seen whether Russia can be bullied into actually honoring the treaty instead of setting up a Kashmir-style frozen conflict.

The most interesting outcome would be the re-establishment of the Crimean People's Republic.

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

I don't think it's very likely Ukraine is going to be able to push back to the pre-2014 borders.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

glynnenstein posted:

I don't think it's very likely Ukraine is going to be able to push back to the pre-2014 borders.

What's going to happen is that at some point Ukraine will face the same situation the Russians faced around kyiv: is it worth invading a civilian city?

And the Ukrainians will probably go no and opt for a seige instead and we will have a new frozen conflict.

I don't see negotiations achieving anything because the Russians can't be trusted

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
I can see value in attempting negotiations but I'm not going to fault Ukraine at all when they fall apart due to bad faith and trolling from Russia. Nothing from them should be accepted if it doesn't start from the position of "You first, prove you're not lying"

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

What's going to happen is that at some point Ukraine will face the same situation the Russians faced around kyiv: is it worth invading a civilian city?

And the Ukrainians will probably go no and opt for a seige instead and we will have a new frozen conflict.

I don't see negotiations achieving anything because the Russians can't be trusted

This presupposes that 1) the Russian army can be convinced to dig in and hold for a protracted city fight, and 2) that the civilian populace really wants Russia there after all the forced disappearances, conscription and miscellaneous war crimes. That so many of the "volunteers" in the Donbas are issued ancient trash and assigned Chechen blockers to "motivate" them to fight does not suggest to me that the populace is overly thrilled or energized to become a part of Russia, and Russia certainly doesn't view them as reliable.

With morale being the shits like it is for most Russian units, which already seem to be badly battered composites, I can't see whatever is driven into a city after losing the fight in the countryside being able or willing to mount much more than a token resistance. Not an expert, mind so I could very easily be completely and totally wrong. I'm just not so sure that the Russian Army is capable of sustaining a brutal siege defence.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
All of Russia's offers to date have been "give us everything we want, plus nations not involved in this conflict have to give us what we want and maybe we'll stop killing you after we annex you." There is no basis for any sort of negotiation, and Ukraine shouldn't seriously entertain any notion of doing so until Russia approaches the table with an enforceable plan of settlement.

Until Russia fundamentally changes their approach, Ukraine should approach this war with the belief that only military Victory can secure their survival.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Fearless posted:

This presupposes that 1) the Russian army can be convinced to dig in and hold for a protracted city fight, and 2) that the civilian populace really wants Russia there after all the forced disappearances, conscription and miscellaneous war crimes.

That's fair but also unpredictable and it wouldn't require a lot of defenders to make offensive building to building war impracticable, because the Ukrainians have to actually avoid civilian casualties. They can't just shell everything into smithereens. Total collapse and retreat would certainly be the Ukrainian goal though.

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

That's fair but also unpredictable and it wouldn't require a lot of defenders to make offensive building to building war impracticable, because the Ukrainians have to actually avoid civilian casualties. They can't just shell everything into smithereens. Total collapse and retreat would certainly be the Ukrainian goal though.

Worth pointing out that the Ukrainian army would almost certainly be much more amenable to allowing civilians to evacuate the city than their Russian counterparts, who have actively striven to keep a populace captive for easier war crimin'. I do agree that the Ukrainians can't just batter their own city to smithereens, but I think the primary hazard to a civilian populace in this situation is the Russians using them as human shields or just getting (extra) spiteful and shooting at fleeing civilians (or infiltrating their own saboteurs into those masses).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cult_hero
Jul 10, 2001
Why are our fortifications exploding?!

https://twitter.com/EuromaidanPress/status/1527454308115042305

Oh...