Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Texas has a county with a population of sixty‐four persons.

It’s Loving, and it’s over half the size of Rhode Island.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Albino Squirrel posted:

Apparently like every settlement in Georgia is technically a city. There's a city called Edge Hill in Glasscock County with a population of 24.

The racial makeup of the city is 96.666% white, and 3.3333 two or more races. His name is Phil and he's very nice.

It's Glascock County (unfortunately), although there is a Glasscock County in Texas.

Also, apparently the latest population figure is 22, which means (if he still lives there) that Phil now represents 4.55% of the population

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

Platystemon posted:

Texas has a county with a population of sixty‐four persons.

No idea if this is still true but as of the mid-aughts they still used the “write name of candidate you want to vote for, fold up ballot and drop it in a box” form of voting.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

Carthag Tuek posted:

i like the inside but good lord the outside looks like half a corporate sponsorship got dropped

its this (hit the bottom image, theres a slide show)
https://kirkearkitektur.dk/kirker-bygget-siden-1960.html

I'm guessing that the more bland portion off to the right is like a cultural community center type place rather than the church proper.
Lots of smaller religious groups (especially those with as much ethnic purpose as religious, which is def the case with Greeks) are gonna have like a whole part of the thing for indoor event space and poo poo like that.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Platystemon posted:

You don't need to type out "Loving" the profanity filter is only when you're not logged in.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

FreudianSlippers posted:

You don't need to type out "Loving" the profanity filter is only when you're not logged in.

That was in Austria, but in the last couple of years, the residents voted to change the name.

Barbelith
Oct 23, 2010

SMILE
Taco Defender
https://twitter.com/Babble____/status/1526132920930418688?t=iSsKjxEfIdRtFGDv7uU8cw&s=19

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

Every division of England should entail Wales recovering the rightful clay of Oswestry

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

I found this map of las vegas that is seriously awesome

https://www.loc.gov/resource/g3701pm.gct00089/?sp=3286&st=single&r=0.088,0.003,0.694,0.404,0

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Northern Ireland should be Ireland 3 and a dependency of Ireland 2

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Derrylondon is a nice touch. Maybe there could be a long-running dispute over whether or not to add the 'Derry' part.

I've always been fascinated by the Troubles. My gut feeling as an outsider, considering the centuries of violence and discrimination against Catholics, would be to support reunification, but I get that that's not realistic as long as unionists are the most important political faction. Actually, according to polls, even among Catholics there isn't a plurality in favor of a united Ireland, which did somewhat surprise me when I read it.

Interesting to see Sinn Féin come out on top during the last elections. I wonder if it's a sign of demographic change, or just unionists being more divided and losing a disproportionate amount of voters to Alliance.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

Phlegmish posted:

Derrylondon is a nice touch. Maybe there could be a long-running dispute over whether or not to add the 'Derry' part.

I've always been fascinated by the Troubles. My gut feeling as an outsider, considering the centuries of violence and discrimination against Catholics, would be to support reunification, but I get that that's not realistic as long as unionists are the most important political faction. Actually, according to polls, even among Catholics there isn't a plurality in favor of a united Ireland, which did somewhat surprise me when I read it.

Interesting to see Sinn Féin come out on top during the last elections. I wonder if it's a sign of demographic change, or just unionists being more divided and losing a disproportionate amount of voters to Alliance.

I think an important thing to remember is that for most of the 20th century Ireland was considered a bit of a backwater run by yokels, so even a lot of catholics weren't super enthused about joining Ireland. Re-unification seemed like more trouble than it was worth especially when it was probably going to lead to civil war and pogroms. I guess younger people who have grown up in a period when Ireland has been doing relatively well and where all out communal violence of the thing of the past are more willing to push for and end to northern ireland.

The whole thing is very depressing. The Irish side of my family were all Anglicans who supported independence but in the North all the decisions of the governments ensured it became a religious conflict even if it hadn't really been one before.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Phlegmish posted:

Interesting to see Sinn Féin come out on top during the last elections. I wonder if it's just unionists being more divided and losing a disproportionate amount of voters to Alliance.

Mathematically, this is the case, since they only won a plurality instead of a majority. A majority government has to be formed out of a coalition parties that can agree, which still there's a majority of pro-britain, but also they've decided to refuse to elect a leader in protest of the UK government not having figured out a good way to deal with the border with Ireland after Brexit, so I guess they're not going to get anything done, which I guess puts them on par with the whole UK parliament, which also has decided to never get anything done.

No real idea how reunification would go. I think earlier on in Ireland's independence they were implementing a number of fairly harsh policies to forcibly distance themselves from England, but I think a lot of that has cooled off by now, so maybe unification now wouldn't be immediately paired with as much hostility to the protestants and people with ties to what's left of the UK?

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

a pipe smoking dog posted:

The whole thing is very depressing. The Irish side of my family were all Anglicans who supported independence but in the North all the decisions of the governments ensured it became a religious conflict even if it hadn't really been one before.

It is quite depressing to read about the Troubles, I agree. Thankfully, Northern Ireland seems to be doing better nowadays. Maybe that's why so many Catholics want to preserve the current situation - the realization that rocking the boat too much could lead to renewed violence and instability.

SlothfulCobra posted:

No real idea how reunification would go. I think earlier on in Ireland's independence they were implementing a number of fairly harsh policies to forcibly distance themselves from England, but I think a lot of that has cooled off by now, so maybe unification now wouldn't be immediately paired with as much hostility to the protestants and people with ties to what's left of the UK?

Ireland is much more secular than it used to be, and judging by how Protestants are currently treated there, I think reunification would go just fine. There probably wouldn't be any major issues in that regard. Of course, convincing Northern Irish loyalists of that is a different matter altogether. That community is known for having a very strong siege mentality, and it's doubtful that they'd accept reunification any time soon.

Phlegmish fucked around with this message at 21:41 on May 18, 2022

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
Alliance are basically the “I just wanna grill for god’s sake” party. They’ll get a lot of votes from soft unionists west of Lough Neagh but also votes from nationalists in the east.

The problem going forward for the peace process is that the unionist community has developed the same Brexit Brain that England has developed. It’s to be expected from the half of the community that never liked the Good Friday Agreement to begin with, but for the other half…

Phlegmish posted:

That community is known for having a very strong siege mentality, and it's doubtful that they'd accept reunification any time soon.

https://youtu.be/wxpYW_w5pgo

Blut
Sep 11, 2009

if someone is in the bottom 10%~ of a guillotine
The biggest problem with Irish unification at this stage is likely to be economic. Northern Ireland has a deficit of about £10bn pounds a year funded by the UK, an absolutely monstrous amount given the small 1.9million population. Its a complete economic disaster. Nevermind the other costs of unification on top - the Nordies would demand (and be right to) an NHS equivalent to be set up down South before any unification which would be hugely expensive, and the Unionists would also need some very costly policing and placating.

So whatever about a majority not being in favour of unification up North, even polls in Ireland itself these days only show a majority in favour of unification in theory. Once the economic costs are explained a majority is against it.

Unification at this stage is a nice idea to most modern Irish people but very much in an abstract way that doesn't affect our day to day lives. The reality of every adult in the country having to pay approx €5000 a year in extra tax on average, every year, for decades, makes it rather less attractive.

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa

Blut posted:

The biggest problem with Irish unification at this stage is likely to be economic. Northern Ireland has a deficit of about £10bn pounds a year funded by the UK, an absolutely monstrous amount given the small 1.9million population. Its a complete economic disaster. Nevermind the other costs of unification on top - the Nordies would demand (and be right to) an NHS equivalent to be set up down South before any unification which would be hugely expensive, and the Unionists would also need some very costly policing and placating.

So whatever about a majority not being in favour of unification up North, even polls in Ireland itself these days only show a majority in favour of unification in theory. Once the economic costs are explained a majority is against it.

Unification at this stage is a nice idea to most modern Irish people but very much in an abstract way that doesn't affect our day to day lives. The reality of every adult in the country having to pay approx €5000 a year in extra tax on average, every year, for decades, makes it rather less attractive.

Did the Treaty side not set up a reunification fund like the FDR/RoK did during their partitions? (Although both were/would be massively inadequate)

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Europe drawn from memory

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

booo!

Mano
Jul 11, 2012

Platystemon posted:

Europe drawn from memory

Russia doesn't have that good a memory, it seems

Blut
Sep 11, 2009

if someone is in the bottom 10%~ of a guillotine

Tree Goat posted:

Did the Treaty side not set up a reunification fund like the FDR/RoK did during their partitions? (Although both were/would be massively inadequate)

No. There were no economic provisions made for reunification.

Which is why you can see that it would be unpopular even in Ireland these days - not many people are willing (or able) to give €5000 a year out of their pocket for something that doesn't affect their day-to-day lives in any way.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Just make the Brits pay reparations.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Platystemon posted:

Europe drawn from memory
I'm disappointed that Rhodes gets a little piece but none of the Danish islands that are bigger got anything. Or Gotland or Cyprus. Otherwise...

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters

Blut posted:

so NI is cursed to forever be an unwanted, vestigial appendage?

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

The population increasing by 30% would probably also wreak havoc with whatever political balance they've got too. I think it's pretty rare for democracies to amicably annex large territories.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

I'm disappointed that Rhodes gets a little piece but none of the Danish islands that are bigger got anything. Or Gotland or Cyprus. Otherwise...

i am happy that my island was not memorialized on that map

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.

SlothfulCobra posted:

The population increasing by 30% would probably also wreak havoc with whatever political balance they've got too. I think it's pretty rare for democracies to amicably annex large territories.

Germany hasn't done terribly

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Ras Het posted:

Germany hasn't done terribly

they havent done well either

de_map_voting_patterns.gif
laender_pkeinkommen.png

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Yeah, Germany being an undiluted success is debatable...although its issues would pale in comparison to those surrounding the reunification of North and South Korea (if it ever happens). The two Koreas have been divided in one way or another since 1945, and led by vastly different regimes during all those years. There are few people left who still remember a time before the division. Culturally, the two societies have completely diverged from each other, and there is no longer a common sociological frame of reference to unite them as a single nation. It would also be an immense economic burden for the south to carry, given the north's notoriously poor performance (to the point of famine) in that regard.

I wouldn't be surprised if, much like in Ireland, many South Koreans are ambivalent about reunification. It's probably something you're 'supposed' to be in favor of, with many people privately having their doubts.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Phlegmish posted:

I wouldn't be surprised if, much like in Ireland, many South Koreans are ambivalent about reunification. It's probably something you're 'supposed' to be in favor of, with many people privately having their doubts.

South Koreans generally hate North Koreans (look up how North Koreans are treated when they escape to the south if you want to be depressed) and nobody in SK under like 50 gives a poo poo about the north or unification. If North Korea could just magically cease existing entirely I think that would be the overwhelming favorite option in SK.

Grand Fromage fucked around with this message at 20:28 on May 20, 2022

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Reposted from another thread in memory of my friend from Altay Kray who died in a war that somehow doesn't affect anyone from Russia's rich regions, where you get to choose if you want the army.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

sorry about your friend. that sucks.

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

poo poo, they're just sending the Siberians to the meat grinder aren't they

EDIT: Also Caucasians

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

People just familiar with the cliche Dublin accent for Ireland are truly in for a surprise if they head far north (or far south for that matter).

Platystemon posted:

Europe drawn from memory

"Cyprus is right next to Greece right?" said everyone's faulty memory ever.

Though I guess that could be Rhodes.

Grape fucked around with this message at 13:32 on May 21, 2022

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Grape posted:

People just familiar with the cliche Dublin accent for Ireland are truly in for a surprise if they head far north (or far south for that matter).

"Cyprus is right next to Greece right?" said everyone's faulty memory ever.

Though I guess that could be Rhodes.

It's Crete

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
It's Crete, then there's a dot for the aegean islands, then a dot for Cyprus. The takes on the gimmick map must flow

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

i thought that was Myggenæs

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Yeah, I know which one is supposed to be Cyprus, and as I've commonly experienced it's where people (who don't already think we're talking about Crete) think it is. Right next to Greece where like Rhodes is, rather than way over next to Lebanon.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Depending on how old the map is, the island might be Armenia.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

This seems appropriate here. I'm Nevada's obnoxious pronunciation reminder.

https://twitter.com/cityafreaks/status/1527915978016931840