Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

IncredibleIgloo posted:

Part of the absurdity of the castle place is that just across the street is a junky muffler shop. There is a subway right nearby as well.

https://www.google.com/maps/@42.913...l=en&authuser=0

It just hasn't gentrified yet. Going to be coffee houses and beer gardens as far as the eye can see soon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

IncredibleIgloo posted:

Part of the absurdity of the castle place is that just across the street is a junky muffler shop. There is a subway right nearby as well.

For a moment I wondered what the problem was with being near public transportation was.

Final Blog Entry
Jun 23, 2006

"Love us with money or we'll hate you with hammers!"

IncredibleIgloo posted:

Sandwich artists' lofts

Buttchocks
Oct 21, 2020

No, I like my hat, thanks.
I hope resurfacing that parking lot involves a giant boiling kettle.

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

Sirotan posted:

holy poo poo

It has its own Wikipedia page: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grand_Castle

quote:

The site was originally developed by La Grande LLC as the LaGrande Mobile Home Park in 1957, which was one of the oldest mobile home developments in the area. LaGrande Mobile Home Park closed in 2005 to be marketed for redevelopment for highest and best use. Grand Castle LLC acquired the 23.6-acre site from La Grande LLC in May 2016 [6] and planned for a Mixed Use Planned Unit Development (MPUD) of the Grand Castle.[7]

I wonder if the residents of the mobile home park could afford living in the new Grand Castle. That's so sad.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

What the gently caress, I’d expect that level of crass from the 60s and 70s, not six goddamn years ago.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

It came from reddit. I'm not entirely convinced this isn't just a joke picture, but they claim their ISP rigged this up to power their router, a bog standard consumer wifi/router combo unit.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

That is an EtherKiller™️

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Sirotan posted:

That is an EtherKiller™️

Yeah, I really want them to post the other side or a "GOTCHA"

Vanagoon
Jan 20, 2008

Best Dead Gay Forums
on the whole Internet!
It's an Etherkiller.

http://www.fiftythree.org/etherkiller/

Edit: Dammit, Beaten!

Vanagoon fucked around with this message at 05:51 on May 20, 2022

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Why would an ISP tech even that outlet plug on their truck?

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011
:norway:

:iiam:

Zil posted:

Maybe they can't replace a router without proving that it is dead, and that is the easiest way?
I would give the tech a 10/10 if they fried a router at my place so they can replace it. Then run for the fire extinguisher.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

Dunno-Lars posted:

Maybe they can't replace a router without proving that it is dead, and that is the easiest way?
I would give the tech a 10/10 if they fried a router at my place so they can replace it. Then run for the fire extinguisher.

I used to know a guy on the Geek Squad who said they had a transformer for running high voltage through anything they didn't want to cause problems when they sent it back for an RMA. He said they'd touch the probes to pretty much every component on the board to be sure.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

quote:

Customer falls on stairs I installed, am I liable? (self.legaladvice)

Hello,

I installed a stone staircase for a customer on a hill in their backyard. If they fall or trip on the stairs, am I liable for that? I installed a handrail, and the customer was satisfied with the installation at the time of actual completion. She has contacted my company stating that if she or someone else falls/trips on the stairs I could face legal issues, because she wants different spacing on some of the stairs. Please advise if I am liable for any injury that takes place on my installation. Thank you!

Photo of stairs: https://imgur.com/a/ROtBEqm

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Zil posted:

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Random-rear end question. Found these while homebrowsing. Are these stairs considered crappy? If not, why? They seem like they don’t have a lot of support, but I haven’t done static analysis in over a decade so I have no idea if it’s truly sound.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

I expected an entirely different kind of "unprofessionally bad" stairs from this.

Uncle Enzo
Apr 28, 2008

I always wanted to be a Wizard

Platystemon posted:

Customer falls on stairs I installed, am I liable? (self.legaladvice)

I installed a stone staircase for a customer on a hill in their backyard. If they fall or trip on the stairs, am I liable for that?

Photo of stairs: https://imgur.com/a/ROtBEqm

Legal issues aside, those stairs are not up to snuff. Uneven, different tread widths, questionable drainage, weak rear end handrail. I bet they're not seated in concrete, so they'll shift and sag in the next year or so.

Reminds me of that guy that thought a quote for 50k for stairs at public park was ridiculous so he put in his own. They were such a deathtrap they had to be torn out immediately.

Uncle Enzo fucked around with this message at 16:17 on May 20, 2022

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Pollyanna posted:

Random-rear end question. Found these while homebrowsing. Are these stairs considered crappy? If not, why? They seem like they don’t have a lot of support, but I haven’t done static analysis in over a decade so I have no idea if it’s truly sound.

Looks like a very normal set of stairs to me. Could they be stronger? Yes. My dad broke a set like that presumably from the 70s taking a safe down them.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

StormDrain posted:

Looks like a very normal set of stairs to me. Could they be stronger? Yes. My dad broke a set like that presumably from the 70s taking a safe down them.

I mean he got the safe down what more did he want?

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

H110Hawk posted:

I mean he got the safe down what more did he want?

It was even safer since no one could get it back out, I presume.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

The process of getting it in was, ironically, not very safe.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Uncle Enzo posted:

Reminds me of that guy that thought a quote for 50k for stairs at public park was ridiculous so he put in his own. They were such a deathtrap they had to be torn out immediately.

but hey, he got them to reduce the cost of good stairs to 10k, so he spent 500 to save 40k, not bad

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Cyrano4747 posted:

The process of getting it in was, ironically, not very safe.

My response to his story was Omg are you OK? And his response was yeah I put new stairs in no problem.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
When I see stairs like that my concern is that they're not properly mounted at the top plate. Too few nails, nails in the wrong orientation to deal with shear and down they come.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

So is it not weird that there’s no like, beams or poles or other support extending downwards from the bottom of the stairboards? I’d be nervous about somehow punching through the stairs with my big fat rear end, as happened above. Do stairs not need bottom support?

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
It has bottom support, the bottom of the stairs is on the ground. The top hangs from the stringer, similar to how all of the joists for the first floor work.

koshmar
Oct 22, 2009

i'm not here

this isn't happening
https://www.reddit.com/r/grandrapids/comments/t00bzs/review_after_three_years_at_the_grand_castle/

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Now I am sad that the castle apartments I thought might be really fun to live in are not that great :(

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

For those on mobile.

quote:

Posted by
u/Megano0regano
3 months ago
Helpful2Press FWholesome2Silver2FacepalmTake My Energy
Review after three years at the grand castle

I originally wrote all of this to post as a google review but wrote wayyy over the character limit and I’ll have to condense it, but I did want to share my full review somewhere so I figured here might be good lol

I lived at the grand castle for three years between 2019-2022. When we first moved in it was very nice, especially since all the units were not full yet but it went significantly downhill over time. The main problems were:

1)Dog poop everywhere. Literally. It was in all the grass areas, the parking lot, parking garage, stairways, hallways and elevators. The castle makes you pay to submit your dogs dna to a company that will test any dog poop that doesn’t get picked up and see who it belongs to. I don’t think they have ever used it because dog poop will stay for months or until it just eventually decays.

2)Crime is a rampant problem at the castle. Vehicles, especially parked outside of the garage (where everyone with unassigned parking has to park), get broken into regularly. Someone stole the wheels off a truck and just left it laying on the ground. The castle won’t put any cameras up outside but does have them in the halls (though it’s questionable if they even work). Parked cars being involved in hit and runs is also common.

3)The building is built VERY poorly, I would not be surprised if it randomly collapses on itself soon. If you walk through the halls (and apartment units too) you can see large cracks forming in the walls. We had one above our bed that we watched slowly stretch across the ceiling for 2 years. Eventually, when these cracks connect (which they will) the building will just collapse. These are not just a few cracks here and there but hidden everywhere on the property.

4)The fire alarm will go off at least twice a month. The way they have it set up is the 1st, 2nd and 3rd floors always have their alarms go off if there is any smoke detected and whatever floor triggered the smoke (there are 13 floors) will have its alarm go off, as well as the floor above and below it. So, if floor 8 triggers the smoke alarm floors 7, 9, 1, 2 and 3 will have their alarms go off too. These alarms would go off usually between midnight and 4am.

5)Though the cleaning staff works very hard (for less than $10 an hour I heard, shame on you Grand Castle) they can not get to every part of the castle because there are only 3-4 of them and 512 apartment units, making cleaning the place a massive overhaul. So, when someone bleeds, vomits or urinates on something outside of the building it just gets left there until it eventually becomes part of the grounds. There was blood near an entrance that stayed until it eventually got washed away by people walking over it.

6)As I mentioned before, there are 512 units in the building, with people constantly coming and going, so it’s impossible to tell who is supposed to be there and who isn’t. This was definitely shown when a man was running an illegal car repair shop out of one of the parking stalls (located right next to a main entrance). The man running the shop would sit in the stall all day (he moved some furniture in too), smoke weed and scream at his gf/wife. The worst thing about this is he did not live at the castle and was at this for months before he eventually left.

7)The featured dog park is poorly maintained and just a gated off plot of mud at this point. It’s fine to use when it’s dry out, but Michigan is a wet state so most of the time it is unusable without your dog getting covered in mud.

8)Each floor only has one trash chute located at the end of floor. The chute works so that if it is left open on one floor, none of the other floors can open their’s. For larger trash and cardboard you have to go to the back parking garage and dump in an industrial dumpster. The property is huge, so throwing out just 1 trash bag and 1 box can take more than 15 minutes. Because of this, people leave their trash everywhere (hallways, next to the trash chute, in the parking garage). Some people are nice and will take other’s trash or go to each of the 13 floors until they find which chute was left open, but it’s a major problem.

9)There is no reliable way to receive mail if it comes from anyone except USPS. That means Amazon packages will say delivered but be missing for days, weeks and, in my case, even 3 months. I’m not sure why this happens but it was a problem the entire time we lived there. I felt bad seeing new residents wonder why the mail carrier said their package was missing (but marked as delivered), not knowing it would be a mystery amount of time until it showed up. Every time I went into the package room I would see at least one roting food subscription box (hello fresh, blue apron, etc) because A) it didn’t get delivered on time or B) the box was just left in the room and the person waiting for it was never notified it arrived.

10)The building is concrete which is good for keeping neighbors noise out but bad for A) hanging anything up that’s heavier than a command strip can hold and B) insulation. Not being able to hang stuff up without a drill and concrete bit was pretty frustrating but not the end of the world. The heating/insulation on the other hand was really bad. Many apartments, especially the ones in the “tower” (the taller back part of the building), are left freezing in the winter and cannot keep in any warmth. People would blast the heater, not be able to get their apartment above 61° and then have a $400+ electricity bill at the end of the month (the heat is electric, not gas).

11)Drug paraphernalia can be found just laying around. That’s really all I have to say about this one.

12)A community garden was started, which was nice, but they used a pile of dirt from the parking lot for soil. Our bed’s soil had large glass shards in it so we didn’t participate.

13)The front doors of each apartment are extremely thin so even though you can’t hear your neighbors while inside your apartment, in the hallway everything can be heard with alarming detail. If someone is taking at a normal volume in their apartment, it can be heard word for word in the hallway. So anyone participating in “adult activities” is very easily heard, especially if they are loud.

14)This last one just felt like adding insult to injury. One day we came home and saw many more cars than usual parked outside. Apparently a “charity fashion show” was going to be held in the courtyard. Residents could watch from their windows (if their windows could see the courtyard) otherwise it was $100 a ticket. There was no prior notice to the residents that this would be happening. I came home to an elevator full of rich WASP’s asking me to show them to the bathroom, with no idea of who they were or why there were there. Someone mentioned this event in a google review and the castles reply basically was, “We just wanted to throw a cool event for the residents, sorry you didn’t like it,” but the thing is, it WASN'T for the residents. The tickets were $100 each and no one was told about the event until it was happening. It really just came across as, “Me and my rich friends are having a party, but you can have our scraps if you want!”

The apartments are the largest, cheapest, and newest in the area but it would not be worth it to live there unless you have no other option, in my opinion. Everyone who works there is nice, though a little impersonal (with one exception). Even though I lived there for three years, I doubt most of them would recognize me if they saw me around town. The castle’s ONLY saving grace is Paul. When we first moved in Paul was part of the maintenance staff but was recently promoted to being one of the property managers. Paul would carry dog treats in his pockets to give to residents dogs when he would see them and even remembered my dogs names. When he was working in maintenance he always went above and beyond to fix any issues. Since Paul became a property manager I think there have been improvements to the castle, so hopefully he can lead them in a better direction. tldr The Grand Castle apartments are sketchy and I would not recommend living there

I must once more reiterate that this garbage building replaced a mobile home yard, the construction, maintenance and comfort of which was probably far better than this poo poo hole of a building.

koshmar
Oct 22, 2009

i'm not here

this isn't happening

value-brand cereal posted:

For those on mobile.

I must once more reiterate that this garbage building replaced a mobile home yard, the construction, maintenance and comfort of which was probably far better than this poo poo hole of a building.

Some stand out details to me are:

The rampant theft/crime in the parking lot

The guy (who didn't actually live there) who ran an auto shop out of a parking space in the garage

The apartments in the rear tower being extremely cold in the winter

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
on the other hand they were never besieged by Huns in the whole three years he lived there

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

canyoneer posted:

on the other hand they were never besieged by Huns in the whole three years he lived there

Some people have all the luck.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Pollyanna posted:

So is it not weird that there’s no like, beams or poles or other support extending downwards from the bottom of the stairboards? I’d be nervous about somehow punching through the stairs with my big fat rear end, as happened above. Do stairs not need bottom support?

Lots of stairs are installed like that and have no issues after decades of use. Personally, I don't like them and this winter when building my basement and main stairs I build semi-load bearing walls on either side and fastened the stringers to them.

Better overbuilt than under.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Pollyanna posted:

So long as it’s properly anchored at both ends and the stringers are beefy enough to support the bending moment, it’s fine.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Pollyanna posted:

Those are identical to the stairs to the basement of my mom's house, which my folks bought in 1974. They've been there since the home was built in 1950, and I (300+-lbs most of that time) have hauled all manner of appliances up & down them.

So long as the stringers are free of cracks, and they feel solid, they should be fine.

mr.belowaverage
Aug 16, 2004

we have an irc channel at #SA_MeetingWomen

Omg. Ugh. No thank you. This is upsetting. Why did you post this?

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

https://www.propublica.org/article/these-native-hawaiians-waited-years-for-homes-on-their-ancestral-land-then-the-problems-began

quote:

Kealii Cabrera, a construction supervisor who bought his new $390,000 Kanehili home in 2020, said his problems started almost immediately. A week after moving in, he said, sewage started backing up through a downstairs shower drain, flooding part of the first floor. Cabrera said he had to relocate his family to a hotel for a month while repairs were made to the flooring and walls.

quote:

Timothy McBrayer and Iwalani Laybon-McBrayer learned that firsthand.

For more than a decade, the couple has unsuccessfully sought DHHL’s help to resolve alleged construction defects that they say have been present almost from the time they moved into their new home in 2007. Shioi Construction, which built the home, disputed their claims and noted that the city and a DHHL special inspector had checked the dwelling.

https://www.propublica.org/article/lawmakers-approve-600-million-to-help-fix-housing-program-for-native-hawaiians

quote:

Even though the court in 2009 found that the state breached its trust obligation and was liable for damages, the litigation has dragged on for years, and more than one-third of the original plaintiffs, many of them elderly, died without seeing a resolution. Lawmakers on Tuesday approved a separate $328 million appropriation to settle the case.

quote:

A department official said the agency was grateful for the one-time infusion but noted it would need up to $6 billion to clear the entire waitlist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad