Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I just got insanely bored by the manga after a point. It had absolutely no teeth to it even in a fluffy/chill sense, it just kind of became white noise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Parallax posted:

more like bum, which is what this looks like. rear end. bad, it looks bad.

I don't have high hopes either. I think it's gonna be watchable but I am not expecting much beyond that. Would love to be wrong though!

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

I skipped to what were the newest shikimori chapters at the time a bit ago and it seems like it grows from basically being a twitter gimmick strip to something with actual character writing that seemed alright, though it's one of those shounen series where the premise just makes it lamer when it does gender norms stuff.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

I feel like Love After World Domination does Shikimori’s primary gimmick way better.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

The Colonel posted:

angst, drama, etc. are ftw

though more seriously i dunno how you consider not having those unique traits that's a whole lotta anime and manga. and i haven't really seen big controversy about shikimori just kinda seems like a show that exists

I guess it's controversial if you get really steamed by socmedia interaction bait, but iunno why you'd choose to live that life.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

“Nice guy” romcoms peaked with Toradora and have been futilely chasing that high ever since. Having either a true ensemble cast (Kaguya, Love Lab e.g.) or a premise and/or execution so outlandish and hewing towards comedy (100 GFs, also Kaguya) are the in-things these days. Also I guess a teasing/bullying premise is a thing people like now too.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Super Jay Mann posted:

“Nice guy” romcoms peaked with Toradora and have been futilely chasing that high ever since. Having either a true ensemble cast (Kaguya, Love Lab e.g.) or a premise and/or execution so outlandish and hewing towards comedy (100 GFs, also Kaguya) are the in-things these days. Also I guess a teasing/bullying premise is a thing people like now too.

Toradora also had the advantage over a lot of these in that it had an immediate hook for both the leads, rather than just for the girl.

"He looks like a thug, but he's a good guy!" and "She's tiny and adorable... but also vicious and hard to get along with!" are a matched set for both comedy and drama at the most basic pitch stage, while a lot of other shows don't have a strong hook for the guy where you're describing the show.

Miyuki Shirogane and Loid Forger from this season also have that instant description benefit. "Two geniuses acting like idiots in an attempt to make the other confess romantically" and "He's a spy, she's an assassin" make the guy sound like a character in his own right, not just a vehicle for audience projection, making the show feel much more secure in its own niche.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

i dont think toradora is very comparable to these lightweight skit-based romcoms anyway, which is what all of this seasons ones are except maybe that cuckoos one i'm not familiar with

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

I wouldn't call Spy x Family a romcom, yes there are two adults who can conceivably be in a romance, but because the manga focuses on Anya so much they don't really get the time to be romantic outside of a few scenes..

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
This season also has Aharen-san wa Hakarenai in the "fluffy rom-com where nothing really happens, but it's kind of nice" category, and Aharen-san's two leads are both a lot funnier than either of these two. (Shikimori does have a way better supporting cast than Aharen-san does, though.)

Honestly, my main complaint about Shikimori is that's it's mostly a repetition of Izumi-kun saying "Is it really okay for us to be dating given that you're so awesome and I'm so boring and needy?" and Shikimori saying "Yes, I'm totally cool with the fact that you bring absolutely nothing to this relationship."

I can't help but compare it to Milo Murphy's Law, which is also about a young boy with preposterously bad luck, except that Milo's bad luck has made him resilient, plucky, and prepared for anything, whereas Izumi-kun is just cheerfully resigned to a life of daily random suffering.

No, but seriously, why do they all have Vaseline rubbed over their irises?

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I feel like claiming Izumi brings absolutely nothing to the relationship is a misreading directly addressed by the show. They all but turn to the camera and say directly to the viewer that relationships don't have to be exactly equivalent give and take to work. Not saying you can't dislike the show at all, but at least don't make things up.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
Shikimori's crime is that it's just boring.

They start the anime already dating and sure you can have an episode on how that happened, but literally nothing has progressed in half the season. There's no hook or edge to it other than "Isn't Shikimori just the most perfect girlfriend ever???"

And she's fine but girl is nowhere near Marin Kitagawa for how fun or relatable she is.

Like loving have her accidentally burn down his house, have him pick up an equally cute second girlfriend and have them be a thruple (okay Girlfriend/Girlfriend was terrible but the premise was funny). loving throw a pie in someone's face, anything to make it not just exactly the same as every other romcom I've watched in the past three years.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Take any tweet from MakeUpAGuy, make it a girl, and boom instant anime romcom.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Natural 20 posted:

They start the anime already dating and sure you can have an episode on how that happened, but literally nothing has progressed in half the season. There's no hook or edge to it other than "Isn't Shikimori just the most perfect girlfriend ever???"

And she's fine but girl is nowhere near Marin Kitagawa for how fun or relatable she is.

Like loving have her accidentally burn down his house, have him pick up an equally cute second girlfriend and have them be a thruple (okay Girlfriend/Girlfriend was terrible but the premise was funny). loving throw a pie in someone's face, anything to make it not just exactly the same as every other romcom I've watched in the past three years.

agreed on everything here. shikimori is tedious. you have the entire experience of the show by the end of the first episode.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

chumbler posted:

I feel like claiming Izumi brings absolutely nothing to the relationship is a misreading directly addressed by the show. They all but turn to the camera and say directly to the viewer that relationships don't have to be exactly equivalent give and take to work. Not saying you can't dislike the show at all, but at least don't make things up.

I mean, they say that, but I don't feel like it lands very well.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

Super Jay Mann posted:

I like Toradora and it’s very good but “My Love Story” is the pinnacle of the Nice Guy romcom.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
I'm glad (maybe?) I'm not alone in not getting the hype about Shikimori (not necessarily in ADTRW). It's sweet and nice and all but there just doesn't seem to be much to it beyond that. If that's your thing, terrific, it just isn't mine.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

the only thing that was good about the one episode of shikimori i watched was the kind of sleepy girl that bowled very slowly and got a strike

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

I'm glad (maybe?) I'm not alone in not getting the hype about Shikimori (not necessarily in ADTRW). It's sweet and nice and all but there just doesn't seem to be much to it beyond that. If that's your thing, terrific, it just isn't mine.

I think it's kinda supposed to be like animes like Blend S where the main reason to watch it is the one thing. I like Shikimori's expressions and that's good enough for me.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

It also doesn't help that in addition to having some big sequels to compete with Shikamori really doesn't stand out among the new shows like Ya Boy Kongming and Shokei Shoujo

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

To contrast, the show could be one of the most hated shows of this year on MAL unless something REALLY shits the bed. And it's not just a, "meh not my thing", but an outright visceral seeming hatred ESPECIALLY for Izumi which is legitimately disturbing to read and see and not even barely hidden what it's about given the amount of "betacuck" comments and posts. At some point in the past few years, Fandom really HAS grown more toxic and it is kind of surreal to see in real time.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Who gives a poo poo what MAL idiots think.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

I don't think MAL even registers to Japanese production companies since it's an english language site. It'd be like trying to leave comments for Ikea furniture in Cantonese.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

doomrider7 posted:

To contrast, the show could be one of the most hated shows of this year on MAL unless something REALLY shits the bed. And it's not just a, "meh not my thing", but an outright visceral seeming hatred ESPECIALLY for Izumi which is legitimately disturbing to read and see and not even barely hidden what it's about given the amount of "betacuck" comments and posts. At some point in the past few years, Fandom really HAS grown more toxic and it is kind of surreal to see in real time.

Fandoms have always been toxic to a certain extent, it's just way more obvious now because of the way social media has clumped everyone together.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Tales of Woe posted:

i dont think toradora is very comparable to these lightweight skit-based romcoms anyway, which is what all of this seasons ones are except maybe that cuckoos one i'm not familiar with

The cuckoo one is the subgenre of "girlfriend guessing anime", where the whole point of the series having the fans argue about which girl will win.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

chumbler posted:

Who gives a poo poo what MAL idiots think.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
please do not think you have to focus your eyes, your attention or any span of your brain on these things. you can stop. it doesn't matter. you do not have to see it

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
one of the most hated shows on mal: 7.02 average

bro there are dozens of other shows with a lower average this season, including many shows beloved on this subforum

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Kwyndig posted:

I don't think MAL even registers to Japanese production companies since it's an english language site. It'd be like trying to leave comments for Ikea furniture in Cantonese.

Anime production committees are starting to take western views into account. It's still a secondary audience, but English speaking viewers can help tip the scales on if a manga gets adapted, or if an adaptation gets a sequel.

Anime is cheap and manga's devouring the western comic market right now. Makes sense to get someone to put a finger on that particular pulse.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Strange Quark posted:

one of the most hated shows on mal: 7.02 average

bro there are dozens of other shows with a lower average this season, including many shows beloved on this subforum
Yeah the first episode twist of Shokei Shoujo certainly provoked some reactions lol

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i assure you that none of those are looking to myanimelist as a resource for western opinions

Irony Be My Shield posted:

Yeah the first episode twist of Shokei Shoujo certainly provoked some reactions lol

i mean. the hosed up thing is those weren't the majority of the reactions. the actual majority mal reactions were much stupider than that. it was people mad about the idea of lesbian fetishization and insane stuff like that

also not much of a "first episode twist" when it's what the basic description sold the story on

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
Is there another site that does review aggregates of anime like MAL does? Because Hollywood ignored RottenTomatoes until suddenly they didn't, and the fanbase being incredibly lovely wasn't something they took notice of until "what if superhero but woman" got the reactionary nerds in a tizzy.

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005

i imagine the streaming services share or sell their viewership metrics as part of the licensing deals, so I don't really think MAL is ever going to be a metric companies need to worry about

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Valve Steam Deck posted:

Is there another site that does review aggregates of anime like MAL does? Because Hollywood ignored RottenTomatoes until suddenly they didn't, and the fanbase being incredibly lovely wasn't something they took notice of until "what if superhero but woman" got the reactionary nerds in a tizzy.

Anilist is a fairly big one too, even if it's not as big.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
Also nobody takes MAL scores too seriously, we are talking about the site where fandoms will review bomb other series doing better than their favorite shows and where one time a random youtuber got a campaign going that got ecchi comedy Interspecies Reviewers to the #2 rated anime of all time spot.

Stink Billyums
Jul 7, 2006

MAGNUM
I found the scores on MAL to be pretty good for the first couple years of its existence, then the scores inflated as the site got popular. like rotten tomatoes it's now only good at telling you what's really bad.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Natural 20 posted:

I saw a clip of Shikamori getting very flustered over how much she's attracted to her boyfriend's mum, who keeps accidentally (?) hitting on her and if I didn't know it wouldn't go anywhere it might have been enough of a hook to get me into the show.

Villainess already showed that you can sucker a bunch of chumps like me into watching if you just make a big part of the premise that the heroine is bisexual.

Nephthys fucked around with this message at 13:49 on May 20, 2022

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

This is the first time anyone has made the show sound interesting lol

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

mal scores are good at telling you what the sort of people who watch anime youtubers think is good and bad, that's about it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Raenir Salazar posted:

I think it's kinda supposed to be like animes like Blend S where the main reason to watch it is the one thing. I like Shikimori's expressions and that's good enough for me.

Blend S, as an ensemble series, has more going on with it than Shikimori though so even if Maika's inability to not seem like a Sadist isn't that interesting, there's other characters with other traits to latch onto who get a decent amount of focus.