Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
Imagine being the student who made fun of him when you realized he was washing your car and then seeing in the news that he was a big time drug lord that hung out with neo nazis and killed a bunch of people

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

Cowslips Warren posted:

Same here. I don't remember a lot of high school teachers, but I do remember one history teacher who wanted us to be able to understand the Why of history instead of just spitting back years and who was on what side in what war.

That's tough when all the public school history texts deliberately strip out the whys of history (which have a left-wing bias.)

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009

Mescal posted:

lol that's perfect

Like you'd think that it would have been a horrible idea. After all sailors drink like fish. But they also know every drat place to hide a bottle. And they took great delight in making sure I didn't have any. The two times I tried to sneak a bottle on board, it was gone in an hour. Found, drunk and the bottle disposed of within the hour. They left me the labels. And they reminded me often that I couldn't legally drink. It was a tall ship, so it didn't sail that often, but they kept me busy doing something productive. And there were a few recovering alcoholics who made sure if I needed someone to talk to, I knew they'd be around. It worked out surprisingly well.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

They dry-docked ya, huh?

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Mescal posted:

That's tough when all the public school history texts deliberately strip out the whys of history (which have a left-wing bias.)

Speaking of, how do US textbooks handle the war of 1812, or does that just get memoryholed and claim a spontaneous fire broke out at the White House?

Zebulon
Aug 20, 2005

Oh god why does it burn?!

Randalor posted:

Speaking of, how do US textbooks handle the war of 1812, or does that just get memoryholed and claim a spontaneous fire broke out at the White House?

Pretty much just "Canadians marched to DC, burned down the White House, wandered back off to Canada" from what I remember of it.

HomestarCanter
Oct 21, 2008

Strong Bad,
you're a horse's twees.

Randalor posted:

When it comes to the War of 1812, the Americans think they won it, the Canadians know they won it, and the British don't remember fighting it.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Zebulon posted:

Pretty much just "Canadians marched to DC, burned down the White House, wandered back off to Canada" from what I remember of it.

HomestarCanter posted:

When it comes to the War of 1812, the Americans think they won it, the Canadians know they won it, and the British don't remember fighting it.

Oh, okay, I was just curious how it was portrayed in the US. From what I remember from school, it was presented as "US tried to annex Canada from the British, failed, the British managed to push into DC, burnt down the White House and left/were pushed out. Canada wasn't annexed, US didn't lose any land to the British, and a whole lot of people died for no reason."

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
I dont think my text book had anything about annexing Canada. It was just a half page that claimed it was an attempt by Britain to retake the colonies and most notable for burning down the white house and the bloody battles between signing the peace treaty and people finding out it was signed?

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

America starting a war over being allowed to sell guns to sell guns to France and otherwise ignore British imposed sanctions just doesn't play into the nationalist myths of either America or Canada to be taught in schools. In America if a reason is given at all it's the claim that Britain was press ganging American soldiers for no reason at all.

Terrible Opinions has a new favorite as of 14:19 on May 20, 2022

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Randalor posted:

Oh, okay, I was just curious how it was portrayed in the US. From what I remember from school, it was presented as "US tried to annex Canada from the British, failed, the British managed to push into DC, burnt down the White House and left/were pushed out. Canada wasn't annexed, US didn't lose any land to the British, and a whole lot of people died for no reason."

The US really emphasizes the Battle of New Orleans, where Andrew Jackson stopped a British invasion of New Orleans. A significant battle. So significant it actually took place after the treaty ending the war had been signed.

Anyway, the war of 1812 was basically an appendix to the Napoleonic wars, so it's ridiculous to pretend that either side really accomplished anything. It was ultimately one of the dumber wars the US has fought, and that is a long list of dumb wars.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

You mean another in a long list of wars america won

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Didn't America once fight a war because the newspapers told it to

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

In Canada it's remembered as "we burned down the white house" and also there's a chocolate store about it.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
A good war is like a good contract: everybody thinks they got the best of it!

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

In Canada it is immortalized in this comedy song
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WVC677-YmfM

Heck, I seem to recall the only important person we spoke about was Laura Secord. I guess you could say she was the Canadian version of Paul Revere?

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

AceOfFlames posted:

Remember the Maine!

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Zebulon posted:

Shame there's nothing about the six frigates, particularly Constitution

Phy has a new favorite as of 15:17 on May 20, 2022

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

I still get pissed off that one dude ignored the naming conventions of the frigates and stuck one with "Chesapeake"

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

AceOfFlames posted:

many but yes I think you're talking about 'Remember The Maine'.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

sweet geek swag posted:

The US really emphasizes the Battle of New Orleans, where Andrew Jackson stopped a British invasion of New Orleans. A significant battle. So significant it actually took place after the treaty ending the war had been signed.

Anyway, the war of 1812 was basically an appendix to the Napoleonic wars, so it's ridiculous to pretend that either side really accomplished anything. It was ultimately one of the dumber wars the US has fought, and that is a long list of dumb wars.

In media that…aged, there’s a country song made famous by Johnny Horton called The Battle of New Orleans. It was a childhood favorite of mine due to the imagery in the song writing, especially the verse about how they fired so many shots that the cannons melted, so they grabbed a gator and used him like a Looney Toons cannon instead. (I strongly doubt this even remotely happened IRL. It’s a funny old country song, not a documentary.)

Apparently Horton had to re-record the song with “British” replaced by “rebels” when he tried to sell the song overseas.

Genius editors have got no mercy, incidentally.

genius.com posted:

Andrew Jackson (“Old Hickory”), more than any other U.S. president, was very particular about all portraits or drawings of himself, both before and while in office as president. With good reason; by most accounts he was homely. Some said he looked like dracula with good hair, others said he looked like a hawk with arms and legs.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Hawks have legs

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
I'm also not sure he was too embarassed to be compared to a historical figure popularized 50 years after his death.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Shameful cowardice to sell in commonwealth countries. If anything songs should be edited to have more British killing.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Terrible Opinions posted:

Shameful cowardice to sell in commonwealth countries. If anything songs should be edited to have more British killing.

Oddly enough I think most commonwealth nations would agree.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Brawnfire posted:

Hawks have legs

But what if BOTH SETS of legs

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Canada wasn't even involved in the burning of DC.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Byzantine posted:

Canada wasn't even involved

Fixed all of history for you.

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

Nobody won the war of 1812. Just a ton of natives were pressganged into fighting on each side and died for some colonialist slapfight.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Fashionable Jorts posted:

Nobody won the war of 1812. Just a ton of natives were pressganged into fighting on each side and died for some colonialist slapfight.

Terry Pratchett posted:

According to the history books, the decisive battle that ended the Ankh-Morpork Civil War was fought between two handfuls of bone-weary men in a swamp early one misty morning and, although one side claimed victory, ended with a practical score of Humans 0, ravens 1,000, which is the case with most battles.

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged

America starting a war over being allowed to sell guns to sell guns to France and otherwise ignore British imposed sanctions just doesn't play into the nationalist myths of either America or Canada to be taught in schools. In America if a reason is given at all it's the claim that Britain was press ganging American soldiers for no reason at all.

Meh, when the Brits are basically holding an informal blockade around your country to intercept French-bound cargo (and grabbing something like 10,000 sailors in the process) it's kinda aggressive to put it mildly, and when you go so far as attacking US Navy vessels to impress people it is a bit too much for any sovereign nation to accept. Even the Brits recognized it and were going to cool things down (they did apologize for the attack on Chesapeake and they suspended the Orders in Council that sparked a lot of the conflict (right before the US declared war without having heard of that unfortunately)); real problem is a bunch of US warhawks decided on war and didn't care about any of the (successful!) diplomacy going on to prevent that. And surprise surprise picking a fight with a nation that had a veteran force from years of fighting Napoleon and was a superpower of the age with a brand new nation that was not universally enthused with the idea of war and had neglected forming much of a navy Did Not Go Well for the USA. The US managed to do enough damage to keep things to status quo ante bellum in the end, but it was an unbelievably stupid unnecessary war for both sides and had it gone to the bitter end I suspect the US would have been mauled, but Britain just did not need more fighting right after Napoleon. I do find it somewhat amusing/sad that right before then the US and France had the "Quasi War" from revolutionary France trying the same "you can't be neutral and trade with our enemies" ship seizing tactics; you'd think somebody would have learned something from that mess (hell, the British and Americans quietly worked together during that I understand, I would have thought Britain had a diplomatic opening there to get the US more strongly on their side and avert the latter 1812 conflict altogether).

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Does this excite you, girl?

Don't forget that we were salty about the British supplying arms to Tecumseh!

Absurd Alhazred posted:

A good war is like a good contract: everybody thinks they got the best of it!

I mean, we did basically get everything we wanted out of it, mainly because the British were too high over having finally beaten Napolean to care.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Yes sanctions are a form of state aggression. They just wouldn't be as big an issue if not for America's pathological need to sell stuff to multiple sides of a war.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Walter is killing people without any hesitation or remorse very quickly while Hank and Jesse, theoretically more hardened characters, get psychologically hosed up from inflicting any sort of violence on other human beings after the sorta rough first time Walt seems almost casual about it.

Byzantine posted:

Canada wasn't even involved in the burning of DC.

Canada wasn't even invented until like 1982

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

I was happily taking a shower and suddenly remembered that Ricky Gervais show Derek and was like "jesus christ"

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
e: ignore me

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

FreudianSlippers posted:

Walter is killing people without any hesitation or remorse very quickly while Hank and Jesse, theoretically more hardened characters, get psychologically hosed up from inflicting any sort of violence on other human beings after the sorta rough first time Walt seems almost casual about it.

Canada wasn't even invented until like 1982

I remember Bryan Cranston in an interview saying that there's a little Walter White in all of us.

The difference is where you draw the line.

For Walt, after the first time, it gets much easier, to the point he dissolves a child in acid, kills his partners, blows up part of a nursing home, organizes a mass prison murder spree, and it's just another Tuesday for him.

Todd could be a young Walter White. And that dude is probably the scariest fucker on the show.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

Brawnfire posted:

I was happily taking a shower and suddenly remembered that Ricky Gervais show Derek and was like "jesus christ"

don't remind me of ricky gervais, jesus christ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Walter White is faced with a kill or be killed moment very early into the series, and had been thinking he could magic up a solution other then kill that guy but he ends up forced to.

At that point, murder was a tool and he got more and more comfortable with it for the sake of his own personal success.

You could probably make a short YouTube clip of his ever escalating indifference to human life across each season for any human being who might cause a problem.

Jesse on the other hand is loving wrecked by the violence and death and barely ever returns to functioning.