Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

BiggerBoat posted:

My 11 year old likes horror movies so I let him watch the original IT tv miniseries and, man, that 2nd half or last third is rough

I can forgive the shoddy effects because you can basically see them using up their budget in real time as the series unfolds. But how the gently caress can none of the grown ups loving ACT and get so blown away by their child actor counterparts?

I've seen John Ritter, Annette O'Toole, Harry Anderson, Richard Thomas, Richard Masur and Dennis Christopher be GOOD in things, if not great, but geez. Bad acting always takes me right out of anything and all these grown up actors loving suck. It's not the writing. More like they only had one take or some poo poo.

Tim Curry chewing scenery is loving great though and saves the whole thing.
:ohdear: was he scared? That movie terrified me as a kid. Then again I wonder if the bar is higher for what constituted a "scary" movie with the prevalence of the internet and real life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

BiggerBoat posted:

My 11 year old likes horror movies so I let him watch the original IT tv miniseries and, man, that 2nd half or last third is rough

I can forgive the shoddy effects because you can basically see them using up their budget in real time as the series unfolds. But how the gently caress can none of the grown ups loving ACT and get so blown away by their child actor counterparts?

I've seen John Ritter, Annette O'Toole, Harry Anderson, Richard Thomas, Richard Masur and Dennis Christopher be GOOD in things, if not great, but geez. Bad acting always takes me right out of anything and all these grown up actors loving suck. It's not the writing. More like they only had one take or some poo poo.

Tim Curry chewing scenery is loving great though and saves the whole thing.

I still like it more than the movie remakes, which are 100% rough. At least the miniseries understood the tone the book was going for.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

It chapter 1 was a really good movie. Chapter 2 was really bad.

The miniseries is worse than chapter 2.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

oldpainless posted:

It chapter 1 was a really good movie. Chapter 2 was really bad.

The miniseries is worse than chapter 2.

Any movie with new pennywise is inherently bad. It's not even an adaptation of the novel in the new movies. They completely ignored the source material and just made a spooky jumpscare clown and copied the names. The only worse stephen king adapation was the dark tower with idris elba.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
If by "worse adaptation" you mean "is less faithful to the original" I'm pretty sure Running Man and Lawnmower Man have it beat handily. If you mean "is the worst thing which adapts Stephen King" then like half of the poo poo made from his work is worse.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Baron von Eevl posted:

If by "worse adaptation" you mean "is less faithful to the original" I'm pretty sure Running Man and Lawnmower Man have it beat handily. If you mean "is the worst thing which adapts Stephen King" then like half of the poo poo made from his work is worse.

I mean the ones that insult me the most personally. I have only read running man and lawnmower man once so I didn't really care that the movies sucked. Dark tower on the other hand, I've read that 20+ times and It 8 or so, so the remakes offend me. It's not about line-for-line faithfulness, it's about understanding the tone and the characters. Both of the modern adaptations totally missed the mark on all characters. The dark tower is especially annoying because they picked the correct guy to play Walter, but it's like they just told mcconaughghhghey that his character is "dark edgy wizard" and nothing else.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Running Man is not a terrible movie, but it does deviate pretty far from the source material. Lawnmower Man is also a fairly fun movie but the only connection is there is a man who may or may not have a lawnmower.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Baron von Eevl posted:

Running Man is not a terrible movie, but it does deviate pretty far from the source material. Lawnmower Man is also a fairly fun movie but the only connection is there is a man who may or may not have a lawnmower.

I don't mind deviations as much for short stories. 1408 deviates a good amount but it's one of my favorite adaptations. For It, even though the miniseries had bad special effects and bad adult actors, they still nailed the tone of the novel more. It isn't supposed to be funny, but the movie remakes unintentionally made it funny instead of scary. New pennywise approaches being spooky like...a clown, instead of being a supernatural demon thing that happens to appear as a clown sometimes.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

I actually thought the miniseries Pennywise came off more as an evil wisecracking clown while the film Pennywise felt more like an alien monster hiding itself under the paper thin disguise of a clown.

It's like Bela Lugosi and Christopher Lee. Both are quintessential Draculas but Bela feels more human and even somewhat mournful and sympathetic. He's a charismatic eastern noble first and blood drinking undead monster second. Lee's version is more like a human shaped beast that happens to have a fiefdom.

That being said It Part 2 is one of the worst films I've ever seen in a theater.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Baron von Eevl posted:

Lawnmower Man was a weird situation where King actually successfully sued to get his name taken off the movie after its release. I worked at a video rental store in the late 90s and we had a couple copies, ones with King's name on it and ones without.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
Still a tragedy no ones done a feature film actually based on kings "lawnmower man" short story. Obviously his best work by far. Would sweep the Oscars.

Someone hires a gardener to mow his lawn. The Gardner proceeds to strip off naked, get down on all four and eat the grass acting as a human lawn mower. story ends in cannibalism and ancient god worship. It's like four pages of bat poo poo insanity, it's great and all, but like seriously someone actually brought the rights to it? I'm assuming they hadn't actually read it before they did.

Was only half joking about wanting to see a feature film based on it. It would probably be absolutely terrible, but I would definitely watch it.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Panfilo posted:

As I've said, the toys gain sentience from a human believing they are a toy upon their creation. In most cases mass produced in a factory. But also Sid's Frankentoys and Bonnie's creation of Forky.

Mr. Potato Head existed as a gestalt that could move and use the pieces of himself. However I don't know how unique that really is, they're inconsistent if a dismembered part of a toy can move/see normally already.

Also, the toy doesn't even have to be humanoid, in one of the Toy Story shorts featuring kids meal toys there's a light up beyblade thing that clearly responds when Zurg is reluctant to leave the display in pursuit of Tiny Buzz. I'm also assuming interactive electronic games might also have sentience like Simon or Bop It.

Another thing I observed is that in most cases these toys don't exist long enough to develop past the "self aware but entirely dependent on a child for emotional needs" phase of their existence. Most of the really old toys we see have gone loving insane for one reason or another (Lotso, Gabby Gabby, Stinky, the cowgirl doll) or are consumed with ennui over the mortality of humans (understanding that kids grow up and lose interest in toys). The only truly enlightened toy is Bo Peep who knows what she is and doesn't let it define her existence. She's the only one that really makes the most out of her immortality and has empathy to not take out her hardships on others.

Don't forget the Speak-and-Spell and Etch-a-Sketch! And implicitly the magic 8-ball. (also I read beyblade as keyblade. Thanks, Kingdom Hearts) Even some of the cars!

Woody would also count as a really old toy there, given he's said to have been made at the same time as Jessie, Stinky and Bullseye. Of course I suppose Woody still counts as being overly dependent given the whole plot of the first movie is he's consumed by jealousy for the attention Buzz is getting, and used to being the most important one there.

IIRC, The Brave Little Toaster was even made by some of the same people as Toy Story? There's definitely some familiar themes that feel remixed, like how Sid's house recalls the appliance maintenance shop as a gruesome experience for the protagonists, and Toy Story 3 basically has drat near the same plot complete with the junkyard finale. (Though interestingly, the claw plays almost the opposite role thematically than the infamous electromagnet) Actually comes to mind suddenly that the daycare toys play basically the opposite role to Sid's toys in the original.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.

dr_rat posted:

Still a tragedy no ones done a feature film actually based on kings "lawnmower man" short story. Obviously his best work by far. Would sweep the Oscars.

Someone hires a gardener to mow his lawn. The Gardner proceeds to strip off naked, get down on all four and eat the grass acting as a human lawn mower. story ends in cannibalism and ancient god worship. It's like four pages of bat poo poo insanity, it's great and all, but like seriously someone actually brought the rights to it? I'm assuming they hadn't actually read it before they did.

Was only half joking about wanting to see a feature film based on it. It would probably be absolutely terrible, but I would definitely watch it.
Doesn't King sell the rights for all of his books at like, 1$? Specifically because he wants to see them made into movies.

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy
Not only did they not finish ANY story arc in the Halo TV Show they also never get to the Halo. I was expecting a "final scene of the final episode shows them arriving" thing but nope. Don't even now where it is by the end of the season.
Also, maybe dont let an obvious Covenant spy run around your base freely!
Meanwhile weird nerds are like "You cant show Masterchief take of his helmet!!! Masterchief cant have sex!!!!" as if these are the main problems the show has and not the terrible story pacing...

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

That Italian Guy posted:

Doesn't King sell the rights for all of his books at like, 1$? Specifically because he wants to see them made into movies.

That's just for student stuff.
https://nofilmschool.com/how-to-license-stephen-king-story
https://stephenking.com/dollar-baby/

But it's still pretty neat.

And I think it's less he wants them made into movies, and more he just likes people making stuff in general and sees this as helping out people starting off in their career.

Good for him.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Panfilo posted:

:ohdear: was he scared? That movie terrified me as a kid. Then again I wonder if the bar is higher for what constituted a "scary" movie with the prevalence of the internet and real life.

A little. He really liked it

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
the toy-based movie that traumatized me as a kid was 'The Mouse and his Child'. The book is very philosophical and the movie kind of tries to do philosophy as well, but I was too distracted by animals getting killed and a toy donkey being torn apart onscreen to appreciate it.

Zero_Grade
Mar 18, 2004

Darktider 🖤🌊

~Neck Angels~

dr_rat posted:

And I think it's less he wants them made into movies, and more he just likes people making stuff in general and sees this as helping out people starting off in their career.

Good for him.
It's kind of amazing how mediocre a track record he has for movie adaptations given how good a writer he can be. I mean, not all of his stuff is amazing and some are way too long, but you'd think due to his sheer prolificness he'd have more than like maybe half a dozen good movies (having said that, the high points are great). Also while I'm on the topic, I want a miniseries made out of his Nightmares and Dreamscapes short story anthology, cause that's some of his best work but none of them would work as full-length features.

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

Zero_Grade posted:

Also while I'm on the topic, I want a miniseries made out of his Nightmares and Dreamscapes short story anthology, cause that's some of his best work but none of them would work as full-length features.

Boy do I have news for you.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
Haha, yep: https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0481452/

Pity they didn't do any more of these. While it wasn't the best, I remember at the time think that it was generally a pretty fun watch.

There's a few other of his short story books that would also work.

dr_rat has a new favorite as of 15:47 on May 20, 2022

Zero_Grade
Mar 18, 2004

Darktider 🖤🌊

~Neck Angels~

Haha, I genuinely had no idea. I'll have to look that up!

Shame it doesn't seem they did some of the best stories in the book ("House on Maple Street", with "Moving Finger" and "Head Down" as runners-up). I guess that sorta counts as an IIMM.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Zero_Grade posted:

It's kind of amazing how mediocre a track record he has for movie adaptations given how good a writer he can be. I mean, not all of his stuff is amazing and some are way too long, but you'd think due to his sheer prolificness he'd have more than like maybe half a dozen good movies (having said that, the high points are great). Also while I'm on the topic, I want a miniseries made out of his Nightmares and Dreamscapes short story anthology, cause that's some of his best work but none of them would work as full-length features.

I lot of his stuff is just really hard to translate to the screen; at least to my mind's eye.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Zero_Grade posted:

Haha, I genuinely had no idea. I'll have to look that up!

Shame it doesn't seem they did some of the best stories in the book ("House on Maple Street", with "Moving Finger" and "Head Down" as runners-up). I guess that sorta counts as an IIMM.

Moving Finger would of been wild. There is two films called "the moving finger" but alas both appear to be Agatha Christie related and not king related, so no jeopardy related insanity to be had. :(

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
There's an adaptation of the finger with Tom Noonan. It was an episode of the TV show "Monsters."

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0650891/?ref_=nm_flmg_act_64

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Baron von Eevl posted:

There's an adaptation of the finger with Tom Noonan. It was an episode of the TV show "Monsters."

Oh excellent! Yep that looks just about the right amount of cheesy.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

IIRC the adaptation of -- I think it's 'The End of the Whole Mess' with Ron Livingston is pretty good. And the 'Crouch End' is hilariously bad. I don't know that I watched any of the rest.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
I seem to remember The Moving Finger being a pretty fun cheap little adaptation, which is really all that story needs. Also from N&D is The motherfucking Night Flier with Miguel motherfucking Ferrer. It's certainly not the best King adaptation but it might be the one that checks the most boxes like "faithful" "fun" and "loving crazy."

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Android Apocalypse posted:

I forgot what Levi looked like so I looked him up, and now I kinda wish he played Mr. Fantastic.

He's already Fandral.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

HopperUK posted:

IIRC the adaptation of -- I think it's 'The End of the Whole Mess' with Ron Livingston is pretty good. And the 'Crouch End' is hilariously bad. I don't know that I watched any of the rest.

The end of the whole mess is great because it’s just a guy telling a story. Worked really well.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Stephen Colbert should play Mr. Fantastic and it should be exactly like his portrayal in venture brothers

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Aphrodite posted:

He's already Fandral.

Who?

e: as I suspected, one of Thor's pals. Didn't realize because he's blonde lol

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

FFT posted:

Who?

e: as I suspected, one of Thor's pals. Didn't realize because he's blonde lol

Wait, really?

edit is edit: bloody hell

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

quote is not edit.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Grendels Dad posted:

Wait, really?

edit is edit: bloody hell

Not a huge surprise that you would miss/forget as the characters barely do anything in the Thor movies and I'm pretty sure he gets killed off in the third one.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

muscles like this! posted:

Not a huge surprise that you would miss/forget as the characters barely do anything in the Thor movies and I'm pretty sure he gets killed off in the third one.

I'm pretty sure the actor changed between the first and the second one. I remember because Ray Stenvenson remained throughout all three movies and I kind of started thinking "Man, Ray, you are wasting your time."

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

HopperUK posted:

the toy-based movie that traumatized me as a kid was 'The Mouse and his Child'. The book is very philosophical and the movie kind of tries to do philosophy as well, but I was too distracted by animals getting killed and a toy donkey being torn apart onscreen to appreciate it.

I watched this nonstop as a kid. I remember the donkey being loving ripped to pieces while he was screaming far more than anything else in that fuckery.

As an adult I rewatched it. Goddamn the 80's had some loving weird poo poo they aimed for kid entertainment. It was a mindfuck.

For King, iirc, in an interview he said that his books were his kids, but the movies were like grandkids: you are more hands-off with them, and kinda let them go where they go. I think only one or two movies has he refused to put his name on.

A Worrying Warlock
Sep 21, 2009
I'm still pissed that the proposed Mike Flanagan adaptation of Revival never went through, because that would have been a fantastic pairing. In fact, other than Frank Darabont, I think Flanagan might be one of the best recurring adaptors of King so far.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy
He used to be a lot more concerned about the movies, pretty sure I remember him bigging up a remake of The Shining in the 90s because he thought the Kubrick version was poo poo lol

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
And then never mentioned the miniseries again after it aired.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

He just didn't like that it changed his intended reading of The Shining. I get it. To be honest I respect his more recent attitude of 'yeah I don't know how to make movies so I don't get involved in all that'.

The adaptations of his stuff that drive me most nuts are the ones that are almost good. Like the 90s TV version of The Stand. Or yeah, The Dark Tower, which cast Roland so perfectly and then forgot what to do with literally anything else. We could have had a good version of The Gunslinger with Idris Elba in it, goddamn.

My actual favourite is the movie of Needful Things. It's exactly as stupid as it ought to be and it understands that its premise is goofy, but does not overplay that.