Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Paladin
Nov 26, 2004
You lost today, kid. But that doesn't mean you have to like it.

Hi all, throwing together a Whitehack mega dungeon in an Arcanum-esque Industrial Age setting where I want the monsters and loot to feel like the Venn diagram overlap of the SCP Foundation and the works of Øyvind Thorsby.

Other than Rutibex's book which I have purchased am and currently reading, any recommendations on modules, compendiums, and the like that would be good sources of inspiration for monsters, magic items, and weird poo poo to encounter? I have no issues converting material or adjusting it to fit, I just feel like the more weird monsters and magic items I can throw in the mix the better.

The Hackmaster monster books were our go to back in the day so that is the ground floor of weirdness I'm trying to build off of. I'm sure there are some Dungeon Crawl Classics modules that have that vibe if anyone can recommend any.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Paladin posted:

Hi all, throwing together a Whitehack mega dungeon in an Arcanum-esque Industrial Age setting where I want the monsters and loot to feel like the Venn diagram overlap of the SCP Foundation and the works of Øyvind Thorsby.

Other than Rutibex's book which I have purchased am and currently reading, any recommendations on modules, compendiums, and the like that would be good sources of inspiration for monsters, magic items, and weird poo poo to encounter? I have no issues converting material or adjusting it to fit, I just feel like the more weird monsters and magic items I can throw in the mix the better.

The Hackmaster monster books were our go to back in the day so that is the ground floor of weirdness I'm trying to build off of. I'm sure there are some Dungeon Crawl Classics modules that have that vibe if anyone can recommend any.

Skerples’ Magical Industrial Revolution (probably have the name wrong), Into The Odd, Electric Bastionland, Fire on the Velvet Horizon are where I’d start

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Paladin posted:

drat I need to pick up the pace I'm currently writting a dungeon module where D&D characters raid an SCP containment facility :v: You should check out the Dr Bob videos on YouTube they are a good collection of monsters that fit into D&D.

For stuff I can reccomend the Fiend Folio from 1e is a very good monster manual full of all the weird poo poo. The mega-module Dungeons of Dread is extremely good. It contains Lost Cavens of Tsojcanth but more importantly Expedition to the Barrier Peaks, both of which are full of weird rear end monsters. Expedition is litteraly a crashed spaceship full of aliens and robots, you can reskin it as an SCP facility easily. Expedition also has a bunch of scifi loot and special rules for disintegrating yourself trying to figure it out. Dark Sun campaign setting is also a great source of horrors. Oh and Gamma World!

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

Paladin posted:

Anomalous Subsurface Environment is a wonderful science fantasy megadungeon module with all sorts of weird stuff - it's definitely something you can pull things from.

Paladin
Nov 26, 2004
You lost today, kid. But that doesn't mean you have to like it.

These are all great, thanks!

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Do any of you have experience with the way armor works in either edition of Black Hack? Or any alternate armor rules?

Building the basic to-hit roll around armor type is a Problem when you're using a D&D base for different genres. But I haven't been able to wrap my head around how the Black Hack variants change the dynamic, since I've never played it.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Halloween Jack posted:

Do any of you have experience with the way armor works in either edition of Black Hack? Or any alternate armor rules?

Building the basic to-hit roll around armor type is a Problem when you're using a D&D base for different genres. But I haven't been able to wrap my head around how the Black Hack variants change the dynamic, since I've never played it.

Just build your specialty weapon system assuming that every AC value corresponds to a specific armor type. Even though the existance of monster natural armor and shields and enchanted armor and dexterity bonuses all make this not the case.

That's what Gary Gygax did for 1e AD&D :cheers:

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Now there'll be some quiet in this town.
In Black Hack 2e at least, you roll against an ability score to avoid damage. If you fail such a roll, you can then choose to use your armor. Using your armor means taking one of the "armor dice" a particular piece of armor grants you and putting it in a "broken" pile. Doing this lets you ignore all damage from that hit, but you're down one die now. You then have to repair that armor die later when you rest. As an example, plate and mail gives you 4 armor dice, which means you can selectively ignore all of the damage from 4 separate hits in the same expedition.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Oh, I understand how the mechanics work. I'm just curious about how it changes the game when the difficulty to hit is determined by the PC's ability score and level, and armor doesn't affect the to-hit roll at all.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Rutibex posted:

Just build your specialty weapon system assuming that every AC value corresponds to a specific armor type. Even though the existance of monster natural armor and shields and enchanted armor and dexterity bonuses all make this not the case.

That's what Gary Gygax did for 1e AD&D :cheers:

Apparently when actually running a game himself even he abandoned the 'Weapon type vs Armour' table for being a clunky waste of time.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

I'm still astonished that he didn't even hint at a task resolution system in 1e. Like, roll under stat on a d20 is right there, and I don't doubt he would have done that kind of thing all the time.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

sebmojo posted:

I'm still astonished that he didn't even hint at a task resolution system in 1e. Like, roll under stat on a d20 is right there, and I don't doubt he would have done that kind of thing all the time.

He teaches you the best task resolution system of all math

Sax Solo
Feb 18, 2011

The implicit 1E task resolution system is roll under d%, after weighing in all the factors you think are important, in 5% chunks.

IDK, but my guess is that Gygax did spitball percentage chances in actual play -- but 1E is what you get when you try to write out that spitballing as if it was a real codified system you were using. You weren't -- but you needed to do it to wrangle all the bullshit that had grown around 0E into an "official" way of playing that was all "by Gary Gygax" without Dave Arneson.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Deptfordx posted:

Apparently when actually running a game himself even he abandoned the 'Weapon type vs Armour' table for being a clunky waste of time.
Not only did he not use it, it doesn’t even work: http://deltasdnd.blogspot.com/2021/03/the-big-mistake-in-weapon-vs-armor.html?m=1

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Wow.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Yeah, the idea of weapon variation isn't a bad one, lots of systems use it. It's just done badly in 1E.

I also wanted to differentiate weaons a little more meaningfully in my current OSE game. So I included a few new weapon traits. Including Armour Piercing as a trait for weapons good against armour like maces.

Gives +1 to hit vs medium armour (Mail etc), +2 vs heavy armour (Plate).

Same for monsters, just decide what their armour is equivalent too, a Dragon has heavy armour for example.

Makes for real choices between weapons that do more damage (Swords etc) vs ones better against more armoured targets etc

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Honestly all you need for a complex weapon system is to lean into damage types. Some editions of D&D do this with skeletons, making them have damage reduction to piercing or slashing damage but not bludgeoning.

Just put similar resistances into every armor and suddenly the damage type matters, and weapons become more than their damage die.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
cavegirl has solved the osr alignment argument once and for all and also provided a character option

http://cavegirlgames.blogspot.com/2022/05/chaos-warriors.html

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
the keep on the borderlands is full of tax records

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
From my point of view, the Jedi are evil!

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

90s Cringe Rock posted:

cavegirl has solved the osr alignment argument once and for all and also provided a character option

I'm just laughing at the thought of showing this to ol' EGG and imagining his reaction. :psyduck:

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

90s Cringe Rock posted:

* No player character above the age of 17 may become or remain a Chaos Warrior

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

Gonna play a Chaos Warrior Chaos Monk hell yeah man: http://hillcantons.blogspot.com/2013/01/new-ll-class-chaos-monk.html

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Comrade Koba posted:

* No player character above the age of 17 may become or remain a Chaos Warrior

Powerful gently caress u dad energy

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

Cavegirl posted:

Ideas like 'lawful good' or 'chaotic neutral' are word games designed to stop you thinking clearly
The evidence for this is as abundant as it is indisputable

LatwPIAT
Jun 6, 2011

Playing Baldur's Gate I and II is making me really want to play something classic D&D-like.

Playing Baldur's Gate I and II is making me really hate how a lot of D&D actually plays like: D&D seems to be one of those games that really ends up better when ported to a computer game that can handle all the calculations in the background and don't mind if you treat a fight as a tactical puzzle that you get multiple attempts at. I want to look at cool magic items and think about tactical matrices of weapon types, I don't actually want to encounter a monster with immunity to +2 weapons and less and 90% Magic Resistance, because that's the kind of thing that I can't imagine going any other way than a surprise party wipe and/or a feeling of having to basically outguess the DM on which kind of monster he's going to have show up.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist
Combat just takes so long on tabletop compared to a computer game. If you had 3 BG style encounters, even throwaway ones that aren't major threats, it would take all night to resolve.

Aggressively using morale checks seems to help this somewhat, where a system like Knave has enemies making a check at half health, or if their leader dies, or if half of their number is killed, which can result in parley or retreat, which helps avoid spending several combat rounds finishing up a fight that's already decided as dumb monsters fight to the death.

In BG, you just rest between each encounter so there's not really a strategic attrition of resources happening very often either, whereas in Knave maybe losing a few hit points wrapping up an encounter that was decided several rounds ago could have longer term impact on the party since they may be weaker in a subsequent encounter.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

sebmojo posted:

B/X had "There's Always A Chance" as a roll-under resolution option (which I named one of my retroclones after).

I don't know why someone didn't release an XCOM-style 4e game, because its grid-based LOS combat system seems perfectly suited to all that positional math.

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'
Does anybody have a recommendation for equipment catalogs out there?

I’m thinking of mostly mundane equipment here, like the Arms and Equipment Guide from AD&D 2e, or maybe the GURPS Low Tech equipment gear. I want to have this kind of Sears-Roebuck, Whole Earth Provisions style catalog that players will be able to look through when “in town”. I’d prefer a physical book but if there’s a PDF that I can print and bind that fills the bill here, that’d be ideal.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Aurora's Whole Realms Catalogue, only available in PDF new but you might be able to find a used one out there.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
"In all, I included the details because of insistance of some avid palyers that were in touch with me, regretted listening to them, for the RPG is not suited to combat simulation... As I noted above, we never used the weapons vs. armor type adjustments. – Gary Gygax, ENWorld Q&A, 7th September, 2005"

every time this mealy-mouthed fucker even came close to admitting a mistake he blamed it on someone else

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

Rutibex posted:

Some editions of D&D do this with skeletons, making them have damage reduction to piercing or slashing damage but not bludgeoning.

I always felt that this was misguided: piercing should do basically nothing, blunt maybe some, but edged weapons are how to get through a bone.

more to the point, I think we completely ignored this rule in every game I've played.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

I feel like bare bone, no flesh to cushion the impact, blunt should be as effective as slashing.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Cutting through bone is pretty hard once it's dried out. You can try it for yourself the next time you have chicken wings or ribs.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist

Empty Sandwich posted:

I always felt that this was misguided: piercing should do basically nothing, blunt maybe some, but edged weapons are how to get through a bone.

more to the point, I think we completely ignored this rule in every game I've played.

I remember using it or something like it in 2e, but we also had weird possibly house rules that impacted what the thief could backstab--like a slime didn't really have a back to stab so you couldn't get bonus damage that way. Did we just make up that dumb rule as kids or did it have some foundation in a book?

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I find it difficult to make different types of weapons and armor more interesting in D&D combat. It's all so abstract that pretty much any advantage you could name boils down to a bonus to hit and/or damage. Usually vs. other specific types of weapons and armor, and table lookup is exactly what I want to avoid

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Empty Sandwich posted:

"In all, I included the details because of insistance of some avid palyers that were in touch with me, regretted listening to them, for the RPG is not suited to combat simulation... As I noted above, we never used the weapons vs. armor type adjustments. – Gary Gygax, ENWorld Q&A, 7th September, 2005"

every time this mealy-mouthed fucker even came close to admitting a mistake he blamed it on someone else

Weird, I don't remember ordering this poo poo sandwich.

I kid, but honestly it is a really lovely response. Coming from the video game world, one of the refrains I heard a lot was that player feedback is essential--- but that the specific complaints players put forward weren't always a good indicator of what those players actually want, and in particular players' ideas for how to fix issues need to be taken with a whole expanse of salt flats. If you're a designer and unable to actually ferret out what players aren't satisfied with, and make the informed and intentional decision as to whether the design will benefit from or support the necessary changes to meet the hopes of any particular players who are dissatisfied, then it's possible you're kind of failing as a designer.

Also lol at how many times over the years Gygax said that D&D isn't suited to combat simulation, yet it's increasingly become exactly that. At least by some definition of "simulation."

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

A Strange Aeon posted:

I remember using it or something like it in 2e, but we also had weird possibly house rules that impacted what the thief could backstab--like a slime didn't really have a back to stab so you couldn't get bonus damage that way. Did we just make up that dumb rule as kids or did it have some foundation in a book?

I may be misremembering but I'm almost certain that 2e had a backstab rule that specifically said you had to be able to identify a target's weakpoints or something like that. It could have been a houserule, yeah, but we definitely played the same way, nothing amorphous could be backstabbed.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Siivola posted:

Aurora's Whole Realms Catalogue, only available in PDF new but you might be able to find a used one out there.

Yeah, this is literally designed to be like a mail order catalogue. I bought a hard copy earlier this year for $70, and it was well spent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I thought part of the point of AD&D was to create a "tournament standard" game? It feels a lot more like the exact opposite of that. Like it was a playtest where he opened the gates for all the people he personally played/corresponded with to test out their house rules.