Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

I'M A LEAD FARMER, MOTHERFUCKER!

Oh yeah in case I gave the wrong impression I'm not trying to say the new battle group/organization system is better, just that my infantry line mans are throwing javelins and axes and they're killing the enemy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

MikeCrotch posted:

Tempted to play Sturgians again after quitting my last attempt due to the fact that Sturgians have the worst archers, subpar infantry and ok cavalry

I haven't played since the patch but previously I've found that the Sturgian Druzhinnik Champion are actually pretty good. They're like the Cataphracts where they're not as impressive on the initial charge compared to Butter Knights, but due to better armor they stay alive longer and end up with more kills. I guess it depends if you micro your cavalry to keep them out of melee or just let them do their own thing.

e: their slow speed does make them garbage at chasing down horse archers, though.

Godlessdonut fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Mar 21, 2022

EricBauman
Nov 30, 2005

DOLF IS RECHTVAARDIG

dogstile posted:

The new system is just worse in every way compared to the old one except "changing group sizes on the fly" which I never did or want to do anyway.

One of the main reasons I put the game down for another year or so.

I'm still on 1.6 and staying there because of the new system.
Going to be a hell of a shock when I finally do upgrade when other improvements make that worthwhile

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

dogstile posted:

The new system is just worse in every way compared to the old one except "changing group sizes on the fly" which I never did or want to do anyway.

yeah same, every time I boot the game back up I'm reminded of it, more specifically of what I can't do anymore because of it, and my enthusiasm plummets.

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Balls to you and your way of mortal opinions - you don't exist anyway!
Fun Shoe
This is an amusing article: a quick NPC lord perspective on what it's like to live in the same world as the PC playing on easy difficulty.

https://www.pcgamer.com/the-existential-horror-of-playing-mount-and-blade-2-on-easy-mode/

DasNeonLicht
Dec 25, 2005

"...and the light is on and burning brightly for the masses."
Fallen Rib
that was fun, thank you

PC Gamer posted:

With only a dozen gathered peasants, they've stamped out the region's banditry, carting in apprehended highwaymen for the city ransom brokers twice a day. Now they stand before you, offering their services as a mercenary in your king's war effort. You can't be blamed for what follows. You see only a probably-filthy vigilante; how could you know they're just one cavalry lance's worth of mercenary wages away from being a regicidal apex predator?

Aeble
Oct 21, 2010

dogstile posted:

What are those changes?

I just picked up the game again since my ancient PC couldn't run it right at (EA) launch, so I'm just poking around at mods to get to run around and hit dudes on the battlefield.

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007
Yeah any quick summary of the new changes? I feel like they have changed so little since release, besides slowly making skills actually function properly

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

Really wish we had dedicated servers, I haven't touched this game in like 8 months and multiplayer mods would help tremendously. I just want commander battles like in Warband where there's like 20 people per side each with 10 bots and no objectives, not this esports 5v5 bullshit

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer
I sort of like the new system. Being able to place my formations pre-battle is really nice, but I hadn't played since like 1.4 so I dunno if that was already a thing. I haven't gotten to the point where I am trying to set up separate skirmisher or reserve units yet though, so I dunno if there will be a sudden point where I hate the slider based system.

Aeble posted:

What are those changes?

I just picked up the game again since my ancient PC couldn't run it right at (EA) launch, so I'm just poking around at mods to get to run around and hit dudes on the battlefield.

Since launch so much has changed. I'm pretty sure the system being complained about is the new battle formation system. At launch the old one didn't exist either, but at one point they added a version of the old warband mod system of being able to say that certain unit types belong in certain formations from the party screen. Now it's more of a slider based system, which seems like it would suck if you wanted to micro up an army. You also get the pre set up everything now, with like visual placement, formations and initial orders.

UP AND ADAM posted:

Yeah any quick summary of the new changes? I feel like they have changed so little since release, besides slowly making skills actually function properly

There's so much that has changed since launch though it's hard to summarize tbh. This battle formation system thing seems to be the biggest individual change I've noticed. The terrain system is interesting in theory, but I haven't played enough to say if I like it or not. I do feel like I'm not running into the same old x number of maps problem I used to though.

Lots of little things I can think of like party/clan roles actually working, lots of unit/asset changes, spear bracing, forest bandits don't murder regular soldiers, the AI in general seems much more functional than on release. I feel like a lot of the changes have been gradual though like the sum of lots of small things to fix {insert system here}.

wilderthanmild fucked around with this message at 16:13 on May 16, 2022

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
The slider changes don't let you assign certain units to different groups, so you can't do things like say, put all your recruits into a "reserve group" so they don't try to join the shield wall against a bunch of axemen or w/e.

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer

dogstile posted:

The slider changes don't let you assign certain units to different groups, so you can't do things like say, put all your recruits into a "reserve group" so they don't try to join the shield wall against a bunch of axemen or w/e.

You kinda can with the priority settings. I was able to get all my shield soldiers into one unit and all my reserves into another using those filters. It is however very fiddly and annoying to use. I imagine rebalancing it constantly is much more annoying than just always having recruits in formation 5 or whatever.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

If you played total war or are a bit of a military history nerd know that the orders and formations that work in game have no bearing on remotely realistic doctrine

Ardent Communist
Oct 17, 2010

ALLAH! MU'AMMAR! LIBYA WA BAS!
Really looking forward to this mod update, artillery always makes battles more dynamic.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DX5ge8-JIEM

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Imo you can probably get an idea of the big features and changes they added over the last two years or whatever by watching the dev update videos

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

SMEGMA_MAIL posted:

If you played total war or are a bit of a military history nerd know that the orders and formations that work in game have no bearing on remotely realistic doctrine

I feel kind of bad for leaving my archers in a thin row ahead of my infantry because cavalry charges don't seem to actually hurt them.
But then the enemy infantry spawns right on top of my archer line, and I immediately lose all sympathy for them.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
I put this away until they finish it but at this rate they're just not gonna are they?

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

wilderthanmild posted:

You kinda can with the priority settings. I was able to get all my shield soldiers into one unit and all my reserves into another using those filters. It is however very fiddly and annoying to use. I imagine rebalancing it constantly is much more annoying than just always having recruits in formation 5 or whatever.

Yeah at the end of it, that slider is just a "preference" slider and doesn't actually reflect exact unit group statistics.

Outside of not being able to separate shield dudes and not shield dudes, the bigger issues are like, no pulling your javelins guys out to skirmish. No separating your bows and crossbows. No separating spearmen and shield dudes to move them around to counter different threats. No more retainer bodyguards/hit squad so get stabbed for your when you wade in too far and the entire enemy army spawns directly on top of you, which is something they've haven't prioritized tweaking for some reason??? Just make them walk in off the map edge or something.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
I started back up on this game and its weird how little has seemingly changed (at least for me in SP) since launch. But im a simpleton that just has everyone charge all the time, the whole order system doesnt interest me.

One thing I miss is bannerlord tweaks, because leveling is painfully slow on vanilla. But it seems like that got discontinued? what has taken its place, and can I use it on an existing save file? i faintly remember the tweaks mod had tweaks out of the box that I didn't need to mess with on my own. that would be preferable again this time around.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

buglord posted:

I started back up on this game and its weird how little has seemingly changed (at least for me in SP) since launch. But im a simpleton that just has everyone charge all the time, the whole order system doesnt interest me.

One thing I miss is bannerlord tweaks, because leveling is painfully slow on vanilla. But it seems like that got discontinued? what has taken its place, and can I use it on an existing save file? i faintly remember the tweaks mod had tweaks out of the box that I didn't need to mess with on my own. that would be preferable again this time around.

yeah this mod is the official successor to bannerlord tweaks because of mods getting abandoned but having the code on github: https://www.nexusmods.com/mountandblade2bannerlord/mods/2911

oh wait it looks like that mod isnt updated for the latest version of the game but someone forked it: https://www.nexusmods.com/mountandblade2bannerlord/mods/3503?tab=files

you can find other good mods by searching on nexus for ones updated recently. like this one that has a simple but very impactful QoL UI tweak: https://www.nexusmods.com/mountandblade2bannerlord/mods/2937

Shear Modulus fucked around with this message at 06:35 on May 18, 2022

EricBauman
Nov 30, 2005

DOLF IS RECHTVAARDIG
Are there mods that turn the clock back on the new troop management system?

I'm still playing 1.6 with RTS camera instead of the new system, but I know I can't keep doing it that way forever.
A mod that changed the controls in the pre-battle setup phase to match RTS camera would also be cool.

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer
Do captured nobles still escape really easily? I basically always rush to sell them or just let them go for the charm bonus, but I noticed how easy this war got while we had a ton of prisoners, so I was considering trying to collect the entire western empire.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

There are two perks you can get which each decrease the escape chance by 50%, then they can never run away.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
Gonna do a gimmick black flag run where I execute any lord I capture.

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Fun Shoe

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

Gonna do a gimmick black flag run where I execute any lord I capture.

Fair warning, it's hard to go back to playing normally after doing this. Yeah your lord relations will be garbage but that doesn't matter if you kill all the lords!

Shalebridge Cradle
Apr 23, 2008

aparmenideanmonad posted:

Fair warning, it's hard to go back to playing normally after doing this. Yeah your lord relations will be garbage but that doesn't matter if you kill all the lords!

That does sound like a self correcting problem

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

The game spawns more lords and you’ll have no allies.

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

Yeah, I must have killed 50 until I've noticed there's no point.

Shalebridge Cradle
Apr 23, 2008

alex314 posted:

Yeah, I must have killed 50 until I've noticed there's no point.

Executing nobility is its own reward

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
The other lords aren't anywhere near as strong, executing the kings and queens of your enemies is worth.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

Trip Report: executing one's mother-in-law has no appreciable effect.

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer
A few observations playing through a campaign this week. Mostly comparing to the last pretty old version I played, but also from the start.

Sieges are much better now. Early on I thought there were severe balance problems as the only reason the defenders ever had any success was when the attacker AI bugged out and did something stupid. Now it feels like you need at least a 1.5x, maybe more like a 2x advantage to reasonably take a fortress without massive casualties if you plan to assault with ram + ladders. I actually lost an assault with around 2x in that case, but it seems like it's usually pretty safe then. It used to be easy but tedious to just build a ram, break the gate, and rush in for an easy win. I think the biggest thing here is the AI seems much better at defending the breakthroughs. The gate especially used to be easy to just break through, envelop the square of defenders, kill them all, but now they seem to win that fight about as often as they lose it. Siege towers also work better now, they still bug out, but I saw them work more often than not in custom battle tests. I still don't use them though tbh. In campaign, my go to tactic has been to build trebuchets to crack the walls and assault. It takes time but less than starvation. When I last played a full campaign neither of these were really an option at all, as cracking the walls seemed to take forever and starvation the defenders always won out.

The Tactical AI tactically is much better than it used to be, but it's still kinda wonky. It's head and shoulders above what I remember warband being like. It does however make some weird decisions at times, like setting up archers behind a rock. Melee cavalry AI seems like the worst part as after their initial charge they just kind of scatter. It's fun occasionally, but it's usually just total chaos when lots of cavalry are on the field. Especially when horse archers are involved.

I think at some point they rebalanced how powerful archers are. They still work, but there was a point even low tier archers would just shred armies. The forest bandits used to be hilariously OP because of this. I haven't dug down deep into what it is.

Hideouts suck less since you never seem to find ones defended by insane numbers of bandits. They still outnumber you, but it's easy enough with mid to high tier troops. Still a little tedious if you aren't high athletics skill. Maybe some kind of variations on this, like a siege of a small bandit fort or something would add some fun.

After using it for a while I think I like the new order of battle system is alright. I personally like it for simple usages like being able to quickly split or combine units. Adding the ability to assign specific units to formations and be able to manage formations between battles would help a ton. Basically just give us this system combined with the old one.

I notice a lot more map variety, but I feel like they scaled back the ambition here at some point.

It feels like castle fiefs are better than they were, but I am still getting negative income from them once their garrisons grow a bit. Unfortunately, the AI never grants me loving towns no many how many I take.

I still enjoy the hell out of this, but I think it's a bit disappointing compared to what I originally expected 2 years ago. It's still a massive leap up from warband, but I almost feel like they need to just make a big push to get out of EA so long term modding can begin.

A couple questions:

Do caravans suck? Mine just seem to be a liability.

How do I get my wife pregnant? It used to be that it would just happen eventually, but I haven't seen it happen once. I have her leading a party now, do I need her in my party?

wilderthanmild fucked around with this message at 16:12 on May 20, 2022

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Fun Shoe

wilderthanmild posted:

how is babby formed? How girl get pragnent?
You gotta be together. Have your wife in party or go wait around in the castle where she's chilling until you get the notification.

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

wilderthanmild posted:

It feels like castle fiefs are better than they were, but I am still getting negative income from them once their garrisons grow a bit. Unfortunately, the AI never grants me loving towns no many how many I take.

There's a mod that lets you own towns after you conquer them. Well worth the install after saving Derthert's rear end in a huge battle 5 separate times + conquering 4 highly defended towns, and only getting some far off rinky-dink castle deep in enemy territory for my trouble.

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer
I decided to stop sieging towns and started just harassing enemy armies for fun. The wheel of fief unfairness decided I deserved a town that I didn't even participate in the siege of.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Last i checked caravans still suck, yeah. They're basically defenseless against enemy lords. Maybe if you built up the companion leading it with a bunch of movement speed and sight range upgrades so they can avoid them they'd work.

Who gets a fief I think has nothing to do with who helped take it and everything to do with who wins the vote. So, if the other clans and the king love you more than other clans they'll vote to give you more fiefs. Maybe clans without any fiefs and/or the people who helped capture it get a bonus in the vote, idk.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

Will modding allow remapping castles/towns? I really want the old imperial capital to be special. Like, the defenders don't retreat the keep, they retreat to the coliseum.

Edit: Hot drat! I just had some satisfying battles. I cannot stress enough how important it is to reform the cavalry between charges. It doesn't have to be fancy, just "follow me" after they sweep the field, get them roughly in the same spot and send the next charge.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts fucked around with this message at 05:17 on May 21, 2022

Sherbert Hoover
Dec 12, 2019

Working hard, thank you!
why the gently caress is this game progressing so slowly for real

fix your poo poo taleworlds

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Sherbert Hoover posted:

why the gently caress is this game progressing so slowly for real

fix your poo poo taleworlds

This quote is valid and applicable to any Mount and Blade game at any time and always will be

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
If you want a shortcut to making people like you, donate captured lords to dungeons at their garrisons. You'll earn a bunch of charm and influence