Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrGreenShirt
Mar 14, 2005

Hell of a book. It's about bunnies!

JerikTelorian posted:

Are there any optimization tricks for this game? It runs like complete dogshit on my system, and I can't figure out why. I have an i5-9600k, 32GB RAM, and a GTX3600Ti. I know my CPU is a touch old but like, I don't have performance issues like this in any other game.

Stations are usually OK, but when I'm on a planet all bets are off and it comes a single-digit slideshow. On the other hand I can run Destiny 2 while streaming twitch, running a linux VM, and doing ninety other things with pretty much no issue.

Some things that helped me were to drop Volumetric Effects down to standard, Shadow Quality down to standard or enhanced, turn on TAA Anti-Aliasing, and set FidelityFX Super Resolution to whatever works best.

hotdog feet posted:

Couple of things: any good get rich quick schemes that don't involve me getting handed stuff by other players? How can I efficiently get nanites?

Nanites are most efficiently farmed in the form of "Curious Deposits". Go to the NMSCoordinateExchange subreddit and search for runaway mould farms, go to one and mine Curious Deposits for runaway mould (they respawn if you go ~700m away), then shove 'em in a refiner and watch the nanites come rolling in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CaptainSkinny
Apr 22, 2011

You get it?
No.

If you only want to do nanites feeling legitimate, ship scrapping is a very effective way. Build money legit, buy ships and get nanites from the upgrades produced, and sell the other stuff for about a 75% total return on your purchase price. The better the ship, the better the upgrades produced, the more nanites.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

CaptainSkinny posted:

If you only want to do nanites feeling legitimate, ship scrapping is a very effective way. Build money legit, buy ships and get nanites from the upgrades produced, and sell the other stuff for about a 75% total return on your purchase price. The better the ship, the better the upgrades produced, the more nanites.

Yeah, this is how I do it. I'm usually capped on credits anyway (activated indium mines), so when I need nanites I just trash ships until I'm happy.

JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

OK I need industrial quantities of ferrite dust and I just don't know how to accumulate that. I'm up to my goddamned ears in activated stellar metals, but I am a pauper for fuckin ferrite dust. Any tips?

CaptainSkinny
Apr 22, 2011

You get it?
No.

JerikTelorian posted:

OK I need industrial quantities of ferrite dust and I just don't know how to accumulate that. I'm up to my goddamned ears in activated stellar metals, but I am a pauper for fuckin ferrite dust. Any tips?

Buy the basics like that at space stations in 3-Star economies. They let you buy in larger quantities. If the station doesn't have it, check the starship NPCs for what you need. Just be sure to bring units.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

JerikTelorian posted:

Equip a positron (the shotgun weapon) on your ship, find an airless moon, shoot the ground. Make sure you've got a lot of inventory space.

CaptainSkinny posted:

Buy the basics like that at space stations in 3-Star economies. They let you buy in larger quantities. If the station doesn't have it, check the starship NPCs for what you need. Just be sure to bring units.

This is good advice for everything that isn't ferrite dust generally speaking; you can get enough of just about every other material for "what you're likely to use" and for a lot of the frequently-used stuff like Carbon and Cobalt you can basically duplicate it for free by combining it with Oxygen in a refinery. For Ferrite dust, unfortunately, not many people sell it and the "50 dust = 1 plate of metal" conversion rate is so terrible that you end up chewing through it way, way faster than you find it, there's nothing that quickly dupli-converts to it (you can't even convert down to it if you convert it up into Pure Ferrite) and buying the plates directly (which don't stack as well, 10 per in your main inventory and 20 per in your storage) works as a supplement but rarely in the volumes you need for basebuilding.

For awhile I had a rusted metal refinery base, but once you include the time spent babysitting the refineries to make sure they don't evaporate your metal, "just fuckin' shotgun the moon" tended to be faster anyways.

Ursine Catastrophe fucked around with this message at 03:48 on May 18, 2022

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

You can also refine Ferrite Dust from Rusted Metal, Paraffinium, Pyrite, Dioxite, Phosphorus, Uranium and Ammonia; so if you want it in bulk you can set up mining camps on those resources and just convert it. (of course building mineral extraction requires Ferrite Dust to begin with)

CaptainSkinny
Apr 22, 2011

You get it?
No.

I just checked and every station and almost every trader has ferrite dust. Are you sure you're not looking for silicate powder? I ask because no one sells that. If that's the case, just mine the ground. I forgot this after I was so far into the game and started base building when I needed silicate powder for glass.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Felt like my bases usually ended up with a pit nearby where I just hoovered up sand whenever I needed.

CaptainSkinny
Apr 22, 2011

You get it?
No.

Oh man, three windows short.

Brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr...

...rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr Done!

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

CaptainSkinny posted:

I just checked and every station and almost every trader has ferrite dust. Are you sure you're not looking for silicate powder? I ask because no one sells that. If that's the case, just mine the ground. I forgot this after I was so far into the game and started base building when I needed silicate powder for glass.

Nope, Ferrite dust explicitly-- and it wasn't always "they had none" as much as "they had pocket lint". This was back when I had an idea to have a full base for every resource in game and needed a lot of metal plates, and the traders inevitably sold like "half the ferrite dust needed for a single extractor", when they had it at all. I ended up going through dozens of full stacks of it when all was said and done, so the idea of relogging in a station for a couple hundred at a time was...not appealing

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse
Fastest way to get ferrite dust by far is to find a planet with tons of small rocks lying around and make some strafing runs in your starship. You'll have more dust than you'll know what to do with before you know it. Same is true for carbon with a planet that has dense flora.

For silicate powder, land on any planet, load up the terrain manipulator, set it to the largest size, and start walking and tunneling at the same time. Change direction a bit each time you hit the max mining range, and stay above the bedrock layer to maximise the yield (since you can't mine the bedrock). And yes, you should use the largest size for this; the smaller sizes do provide more yield from the same area of material mined, but they're also much slower overall, and since silicate is unlimited, it doesn't matter how much rock you have to tunnel through as long as it's faster.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

dennyk posted:

Fastest way to get ferrite dust by far is to find a planet with tons of small rocks lying around and make some strafing runs in your starship. You'll have more dust than you'll know what to do with before you know it. Same is true for carbon with a planet that has dense flora.

For silicate powder, land on any planet, load up the terrain manipulator, set it to the largest size, and start walking and tunneling at the same time. Change direction a bit each time you hit the max mining range, and stay above the bedrock layer to maximise the yield (since you can't mine the bedrock). And yes, you should use the largest size for this; the smaller sizes do provide more yield from the same area of material mined, but they're also much slower overall, and since silicate is unlimited, it doesn't matter how much rock you have to tunnel through as long as it's faster.

Reading this, and I was all set to question the size. That makes sense, though.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

So I'm finally getting into NMS(now that I have a computer capable of properly running it), and I was wondering what is the easiest way to get some ship expansion slots. I have found a few from scrapping ships, but finding those is unreliable at best.
Also is the game supposed to teach you to group technology together for full effectiveness? Because I was 15 hours into the game and only figured it out by accident.
Oh, and I swear that every multi tool is garbage, I can't find anything good.

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse

Peachfart posted:

So I'm finally getting into NMS(now that I have a computer capable of properly running it), and I was wondering what is the easiest way to get some ship expansion slots. I have found a few from scrapping ships, but finding those is unreliable at best.
Also is the game supposed to teach you to group technology together for full effectiveness? Because I was 15 hours into the game and only figured it out by accident.

Early on in a ship's lifetime, buying storage slots for units is usually a reasonable deal. They get more expensive as you add more slots regardless of whether you use units or augmentations, though, so spend units first on the first several slots, then start using augmentations once new slots get to be too expensive for your tastes.

The only quick and reliable way to get augmentations is by scrapping ships. Better ship classes have a higher chance of dropping some augmentations, so stick to A or S class for the best odds. Explorers and Shuttles can be nice for this, as they aren't too expensive. Haulers are extremely overpriced and don't have a better chance of dropping storage augmentations, so avoid those when scrapping. Fighters are so-so, as they're more expensive than either Shuttles or Explorers, but not as absurd as Haulers.

Augmentations can sometimes be found as loot in derelict or crashed freighters, but that's a lot more effort than ship scrapping for worse odds. They are also received as rewards occasionally from frigate expeditions (from Trade or Industrial encounter types), once you have a freighter and frigate fleet, but again, it can be hit or miss; you'd be lucky to average about one a day if you're running all five daily frigate missions every day. They can add up over time that way, but it won't be quick.

For multi-tools, just keep checking for them at the station in every system you visit. You can also find them at various buildings on planets; sometimes at a multi-tool station, sometimes as a reward from an NPC or a monolith, sometimes from crashed ships, and always from Sentinel pillars. I've had Vera so long that I don't remember where she came from, but you'll come across an S-class multi-tool sooner or later.

And no, the whole adjacency bonus is completely undocumented in the game itself, as far as I know. One of those things you'd have to read a wiki or message board to learn about. Because most of the stats are "soft" stats that aren't visible anywhere in-game, I'm not sure anyone actually knows the exact details of how all the bonuses work, but the "make sure your best upgrade modules are each touching as many other modules as possible" rule of thumb usually works well enough.

JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

Equip a positron (the shotgun weapon) on your ship, find an airless moon, shoot the ground. Make sure you've got a lot of inventory space.

This is good advice for everything that isn't ferrite dust generally speaking; you can get enough of just about every other material for "what you're likely to use" and for a lot of the frequently-used stuff like Carbon and Cobalt you can basically duplicate it for free by combining it with Oxygen in a refinery. For Ferrite dust, unfortunately, not many people sell it and the "50 dust = 1 plate of metal" conversion rate is so terrible that you end up chewing through it way, way faster than you find it, there's nothing that quickly dupli-converts to it (you can't even convert down to it if you convert it up into Pure Ferrite) and buying the plates directly (which don't stack as well, 10 per in your main inventory and 20 per in your storage) works as a supplement but rarely in the volumes you need for basebuilding.

For awhile I had a rusted metal refinery base, but once you include the time spent babysitting the refineries to make sure they don't evaporate your metal, "just fuckin' shotgun the moon" tended to be faster anyways.

This advice was absolutely perfect, exactly what I needed. Nearly three stacks in ten minutes. Now I can get back to base crafting.

TracerM17
Mar 1, 2012
Nap Ghost

Peachfart posted:

I hate to suggest them, but those "15 things I wish I knew about NMS before I started" youtube videos are helpful for little things like that.

The Zombie Guy
Oct 25, 2008

There's some good info at Before I Play, and not just for NMS.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Also Basalt doesn't exist in my game, no one sells it and no planet has it.
Argh.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Peachfart posted:

Also Basalt doesn't exist in my game, no one sells it and no planet has it.
Argh.

It specifically shows up on volcanic worlds (I want to say if you see Phosphorus from orbit it should have Basalt, I don't remember if it shows up on the world scan) but yes, afaik no NPCs are set up to sell it because it was in the game but literally useless for at least a year or two before the Sentinels patch actually stuck it in a recipe

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
So do you guys ahve any vibe on how the game might play on Switch? I'm realizing it's probably the perfect 'play in bed to wind down' game, and I'm genuinely interested, but I know Switch ports can occasionally be pretty jank, so I wanna know if I should watch for it there ot just get it on PC.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Cleretic posted:

So do you guys ahve any vibe on how the game might play on Switch? I'm realizing it's probably the perfect 'play in bed to wind down' game, and I'm genuinely interested, but I know Switch ports can occasionally be pretty jank, so I wanna know if I should watch for it there ot just get it on PC.

If you have any intention of ever getting a Steam Deck I'd say "get it for PC" since console saves aren't (and probably won't ever be) cross-platform transferable

If not, then it's hard to say since Hello Games doesn't exactly have a backlog of example Switch games to see what their proficency is like, but it is a game that was made for the original PS4 in 2016, so my expectation is "30FPS locked and with occasional framerate hiccups but probably otherwise fine"

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

It specifically shows up on volcanic worlds (I want to say if you see Phosphorus from orbit it should have Basalt, I don't remember if it shows up on the world scan) but yes, afaik no NPCs are set up to sell it because it was in the game but literally useless for at least a year or two before the Sentinels patch actually stuck it in a recipe

That's a bit redundant, if a planet has Basalt on it, it will tell you by listing Basalt from orbit. Why would you look for other unrelated poo poo first?

Volcanic planets should always have it, though.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Libluini posted:

That's a bit redundant, if a planet has Basalt on it, it will tell you by listing Basalt from orbit. Why would you look for other unrelated poo poo first?

Because, and I repeat myself, "I don't remember if it shows up on the scan". I'm pretty sure the one I ended up getting Basalt from was one I found before it was useful and Basalt didn't appear as a resource; I wasn't sure if that was a bug or an oversight or just wonky.

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse

Libluini posted:

Volcanic planets should always have it, though.

The orbital scans only show what mineral deposits occur on a planet. Basalt isn't found in deposits, if I recall; it comes from mining various surface minerals, so it won't show up on an orbital scan.

TracerM17
Mar 1, 2012
Nap Ghost
I really wish there was a way to reduce the amount of storms on a planet, or some sort of weather shield I could deploy around bases. Super-heated storms every 5 minutes are a bit of bummer to my otherwise tranquil colony/base.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

If I ever enter a "settle down and build a base" phase, I'll probably download a weather mod and one that makes the day/night cycle quite a bit longer.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

I have a 'playdate' tonight with a bunch of online friends whom I actually haven't played online with before. We all have NMS so we'll be playing that.

I am unreasonably excited. I don't care if we just end up building some stupid base, I can't wait.

Gaspy Conana
Aug 1, 2004

this clown loves you

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I have a 'playdate' tonight with a bunch of online friends whom I actually haven't played online with before. We all have NMS so we'll be playing that.

I am unreasonably excited. I don't care if we just end up building some stupid base, I can't wait.

definitely share a trip report

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

TracerM17 posted:

I really wish there was a way to reduce the amount of storms on a planet, or some sort of weather shield I could deploy around bases. Super-heated storms every 5 minutes are a bit of bummer to my otherwise tranquil colony/base.

The constant nature of storms really puts a damper on my desire to actually explore planets. I'm not sure the actual time, but it feels like at least 50% of the time is the weather trying to kill you, and even with the specific environmental mod it still degrades so drat fast.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

I don't have access to mods but yeah, while they've reduced the chances of a planet having storms by a lot from what it was a few patches ago, it still completely eliminates it for me as a planet I'd like to build a base on. I wish there was some benefit, beyond storm crystals, to build a base on such a planet. Like, free power so you don't have to mess with the loving stupid wires or something. Power your base with a single lightning rod!

Also how is it that just about every freezing planet has beautiful blue skies but almost every "paradise" planet that's lush and green has yellow ones? Just give me Earth, Sean! Is it too much to ask for green grass, blue skies and blue oceans?

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Stare-Out posted:

I don't have access to mods but yeah, while they've reduced the chances of a planet having storms by a lot from what it was a few patches ago, it still completely eliminates it for me as a planet I'd like to build a base on. I wish there was some benefit, beyond storm crystals, to build a base on such a planet. Like, free power so you don't have to mess with the loving stupid wires or something. Power your base with a single lightning rod!

Also how is it that just about every freezing planet has beautiful blue skies but almost every "paradise" planet that's lush and green has yellow ones? Just give me Earth, Sean! Is it too much to ask for green grass, blue skies and blue oceans?

I found this miracle of a paradise planet:

Blue skies, green grass, no sentinels, no storms. I've never seen another one like it. You better believe I planted a base immediately and also went and got a star chart to find a settlement on it and make that my new settlement. Goodbye old horrible gamma world settlement.

It even put my settlement down in this cool crater. I love this place.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

StarkRavingMad posted:

I found this miracle of a paradise planet:

Blue skies, green grass, no sentinels, no storms. I've never seen another one like it. You better believe I planted a base immediately and also went and got a star chart to find a settlement on it and make that my new settlement. Goodbye old horrible gamma world settlement.

It even put my settlement down in this cool crater. I love this place.

Lucky! I'm in the Eissentam galaxy which is supposed to be the one with the most chill planets (and it is) but so many of them aren't to my exact specifications so far.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Stare-Out posted:

Lucky! I'm in the Eissentam galaxy which is supposed to be the one with the most chill planets (and it is) but so many of them aren't to my exact specifications so far.

Yeah, this one is in Eissentam, too. So you're in the right galaxy at least!

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Stare-Out posted:

Well, you only have approx 18 quintillion (and change) planets left to go!

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum
If it helps, yellow-sun systems have a comparatively extremely high rate of paradise planets.

(The real slog is trying to find a paradise activated indium planet)

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

I only jump from 3-star system to another no matter the color but they tend to be yellow from what I've seen. Also I don't care about activated indium because I'm nearly at the unit cap already and genuinely struggling to find things to spend money on. Even finding an S-class freighter probably wouldn't cost me a dime considering the amount of storage I've unlocked on my A-class one.

Would be nice if you could convert units straight into Nanites I guess.

The Zombie Guy
Oct 25, 2008

I found that weather is more of an inconvenience than a hazard. I keep a pile of Sodium in my exosuit cargo, and I've installed a bunch of hazard protection upgrades. So I just wander around doing my thing, and I use the quick menu to refill my shields as needed.

Now aggressive Sentinel planets, THOSE are a pain in the rear end.

ElZilcho
Apr 4, 2007

Has there been any update at all about the Switch version?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

ElZilcho posted:

Has there been any update at all about the Switch version?

It's slated for "summer 2022" and I could have sworn I heard July being thrown around, so I wouldn't expect any news until then at the earliest tbh-- they tend to play cards close to their chest nowadays with "sean murray tweeting emojis" being the only heads-up of releases days or weeks before they show up