Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Oxygenpoisoning posted:

I think all but one of his kids were born through IVF or surrogacy. He’s a big weirdo about the low birth rate. I think it’s he feels like he needs more vassals when he tries to take over the world.

He probably has an opinion about it that can be expressed in a little more than twelve words too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

FrozenVent posted:

They’re also all males except the latest secret one. Makes you think.

I forgot which thread I was in and thought this was about monkeypox cases.

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

Platystemon posted:

I forgot which thread I was in and thought this was about monkeypox cases.

Speaking of Monkeypox, google is telling me that our smallpox vaccines convey about 85% immunity to the monkeypox.

It also isn't that bad? Some people die (~1% for the strain they are tracking) the rest just hate life for a few weeks. Also there are very few cases, apparently a few dozen people is an "outbreak".

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

ASAPI posted:

Speaking of Monkeypox, google is telling me that our smallpox vaccines convey about 85% immunity to the monkeypox.

It also isn't that bad? Some people die (~1% for the strain they are tracking) the rest just hate life for a few weeks. Also there are very few cases, apparently a few dozen people is an "outbreak".

Yeah, if you were a part of the 07 dryvax trial or otherwise got a smallpox vaccine, you generally do not have to worry much about monkeypox.

Finally the experimental vaccines I was given without choice or consent pays off!

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
Smallpox vaccines leave a scar so monkeypox is coming back because the libs are attempting to brand you.

Wake up sheeple.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

boop the snoot posted:

Smallpox vaccines leave a scar so monkeypox is coming back because the libs are attempting to brand you.

Wake up sheeple.

Alex Jones I didn't know you were a goon.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
Yeah it's really not worth getting hyperconcerned about monkeypox right now, with COVID being barfed everywhere. We're still at the genome-sequencing portion of our show.

Once that comes back, we should be able to figure out what's going on. There's very obviously community spread going on, but we don't know *why*.

Here's the public health expert take in two minutes though:

https://twitter.com/SquawkCNBC/status/1527617303562657792?t=nNtpqCwYzwfQykmsgTkDQA&s=19

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

ASAPI posted:

It’s concerning that it’s appearing in so many places worldwide at the same time.

The less bad scenario here is that an unprecedented (and so far unidentified) series of superspreader events that sent it to all corners of the Earth. It’s still a mess to contact trace and more people will be sickened before containment is achieved, but if it’s the monkeypox we know and hate, it has a lot of things going against it for pandemic potential. It has distinctive symptoms. Its basic reproductive number isn’t all that high, though the effective reproductive number is higher than it was in past decades because so many people are immunologically naive to poxviruses, with the eradication of smallpox in the seventies and the cessation of routine vaccination against it.

The more bad scenario is that there is something intrinsically different about this strain of monkeypox and it could have less favorable dynamics.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Something like monkeypox would be far easier to halt the transmission of. All you need is for the general public to be aware of the risks and practice social distancing and isolation if they are presumed to have come in contact with someone with the virus. Pretty easy really, we should be able to stamp this out pretty quick.

:smithicide:

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
Just avoid it like the plague mask mandates.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

That Works posted:

Something like monkeypox would be far easier to halt the transmission of. All you need is for the general public to be aware of the risks and practice social distancing and isolation if they are presumed to have come in contact with someone with the virus. Pretty easy really, we should be able to stamp this out pretty quick.

:smithicide:

We'll have pubbies licking each other's open sores to own the libs within a week.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007
It's been a minute since I've taken environmental science, but isn't "long dormant and/or new diseases coming to infect us all" one of the easily predicted knock-on effects of climate change? So this is just our new normal?

Midjack posted:

We'll have pubbies licking each other's open sores to own the libs within a week.
I fully support this.

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

Midjack posted:

You know what? I am fine with that.

At this point I am cheering for the people that are that stupid. Eventually they will either die or get tired of being mortally ill "to own the libs".

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

stealie72 posted:

It's been a minute since I've taken environmental science, but isn't "long dormant and/or new diseases coming to infect us all" one of the easily predicted knock-on effects of climate change? So this is just our new normal?

I fully support this.

Monkeypox is not new or dormant, it just isn't usually found outside equatorial Africa.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

ASAPI posted:

You know what? I am fine with that.

At this point I am cheering for the people that are that stupid. Eventually they will either die or get tired of being mortally ill "to own the libs".

Current family drama is a rich relative who used to be mayor of his town wasn’t feeling great, crossed international border to attend large birthday gathering with many elderly relatives, had to be hospitalized on the drive back as of course he has covid, was hesitant to inform anyone of his diagnosis, angrily discharged himself early, drove home, and was immediately hospitalized again.

At least three people who attended the birthday have tested positive so yeah they’re not thrilled with him at the moment.

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

Monkeypox normally appears elsewhere because importers did something dumb. For example, the 2003 US Monkeypox outbreak started because a Texan imported infected African rodents to the US, and those rodents inflected prairie dogs, and then prairie dogs infected humans.

Notahippie
Feb 4, 2003

Kids, it's not cool to have Shane MacGowan teeth

stealie72 posted:

Yeah, the rate of potentially-pandemic diseases emergence is increasing over time due to a bunch of things including climate change (also increased urban/wildlife interface, increased global travel, and increased deforestation). So on the one hand this is the new normal, on the other hand the world is actually better than you'd think at identifying and stopping emerging diseases. COVID is unusual. Not so unusual that we probably won't see something similar in our lifetimes or my kids' lifetimes, but unusual enough that it was able to exploit the weaknesses in global response.

BaconAndBullets
Feb 25, 2011

golden bubble posted:

Monkeypox normally appears elsewhere because importers did something dumb. For example, the 2003 US Monkeypox outbreak started because a Texan imported infected African rodents to the US, and those rodents inflected prairie dogs, and then prairie dogs infected humans.

Where is Prairie Dog/Human transmission occurring?

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

BaconAndBullets posted:

Where is Prairie Dog/Human transmission occurring?
Guessing every subdivision built in the last 30 years in a plains state/The Front Range.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

golden bubble posted:

*Looks at the prairie dog town right outside her door and sighs*

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Those dry, dusty days where the wind is throwing sand and dirt in your eyes?

Prairie dog poo poo particles.

bengy81
May 8, 2010
Crazy people will try to pet prairie dogs, or keep them as pets. Last place I lived some lady was caught with like 100 of the little dudes in her garage. She was trying to save them from being destroyed during a new construction project.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
There was a pack of them on a pot farm I worked on out near Florence. A pot farm with dirt floors in their greenhouses. Never saw one in a greenhouse, but I can only assume they've popped up inside given how poorly the place was built, cheap the company was, all that jazz cabbage.

CRUSTY MINGE fucked around with this message at 16:25 on May 20, 2022

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Wait- I get a prairie dog and monkeypox!?

gently caress yes. Bootleg Outbreak, baby!

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
So the agreement that he was in the room for absolutely didn't happen and I DEMAND YOU TELL PEOPLE ABOUT MY COCK SCARS TO PROVE YOU'RE LEGIT
https://twitter.com/LethalityJane/status/1527665626390487040?t=MbA-zsfj0YzMiub_YqZTHg&s=19

https://twitter.com/Popehat/status/1527665010263982080?t=UW1dq6fE8K8jMzY3TWzeEA&s=19

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Thanks, I hate it. When these images haunt me tonight I will be cursing your name in retaliation.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

facialimpediment posted:

So the agreement that he was in the room for absolutely didn't happen and I DEMAND YOU TELL PEOPLE ABOUT MY COCK SCARS TO PROVE YOU'RE LEGIT
https://twitter.com/LethalityJane/status/1527665626390487040?t=MbA-zsfj0YzMiub_YqZTHg&s=19

https://twitter.com/Popehat/status/1527665010263982080?t=UW1dq6fE8K8jMzY3TWzeEA&s=19

https://twitter.com/equiss_folly/status/1527664581681860608

:discourse:

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
Get the woman to say "it's really, really, small"

Elon posts pics of his dick to own the libs or whatever.

CRISIS MANAGEMENT

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
Elon’s dick is viral today.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Today?

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
btw Tesla stock's currently down 9.5%, 34% in the last month

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

facialimpediment posted:

btw Tesla stock's currently down 9.5%, 34% in the last month

Inshallah

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.

My god,..it’s full of stars!

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

stealie72 posted:

Guessing every subdivision built in the last 30 years in a plains state/The Front Range.

Aren't they a known vector for all sorts of nasty poo poo? So cute though. I remember going to the sonora desert museum forever ago and seeing them run all over the place. It's easy to see why people wanna help them I feel

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
They definitely carry plague.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

My wife and I had a bit of a road trip this summer. She suddenly stopped on a country road in Kansas.
"Prairie Dogs! They are so cute!"
We hear little barks as her face to turns red and she covers her mouth in embarrassment.
"What's wrong?"
"I'm dumb."
"Huh?"
"You are going to make fun of me. I had only ever seen them in a zoo, so my brain just assumed they were from Africa. Now I feel dumb because it's in the name- Prairie Dog!"

It was adorable. And I tried to catch one. No chance in hell of success, but I wanted to pet it.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Unleash the Black Footed Ferrets and let them rid us of some of these pesky prarie dogs.

Natty Ninefingers
Feb 17, 2011

davecrazy posted:

My god,..it’s full of stars!

A dead cat, bouncing down the stairs.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

CommieGIR posted:

Unleash the Black Footed Ferrets and let them rid us of some of these pesky prarie dogs.

There are colonies being set up in Wyoming. Can't remember where I read about it, but apparently progress is being made on trying to restore the population.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
I have seen the mountaintop, and atop it are used car lots each stocked with tens of thousands of Teslas with "make us an offer" placards on the windshields. Elon has long since been forced to retreat into seclusion by a legion of Karens and Darrens whose entire identities were tied to being "Tesla people."