Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

The Titanic posted:

Speaking of drop ships, I recall Rexzilla posted about sc again.

Now we seem to be gearing back up for more of this tactical troop type stuff that Rexzilla was all into.

Are we looking at a relaunch of Theaters of War and a return of Rexzilla to hype sc again for another year of totally normal and fluid content that will stop in exactly one year from when it began?

Will they go for a longer contract? :3:

I doubt we ever see theatres again. Crobear didn’t even mention it once in his 10 page plea to the backers

Or maybe he did but I don’t know if anyone can be assed to read the entirety of it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Bootcha posted:

And the reason they're doing it NOW is because I'm pretty sure Matt Sherman doesn't work at CIG anymore so no one remembers why they weren't working on ship to ship boarding.

Right so basically , it’s not working and will never work

We will sell a ship telling you it’s working , but only if everything is absolutely stock still

Do they really expect players will just be like. Yep I’m gonna get boarded. Better power everything down and take my hands off the flight controls. It’s the noble thing to do

Unless part of their “hacking” just means it completely powers down the ship and turns it into a static prop

Hmmmmm

4th Stimpire Queen
May 4, 2022

Contemplate with nice thoughts and utterances.

Blue On Blue posted:

Do they really expect players will just be like. Yep I’m gonna get boarded. Better power everything down and take my hands off the flight controls. It’s the noble thing to do

Unless part of their “hacking” just means it completely powers down the ship and turns it into a static prop

I'm more interested in the whole concept tbh.

Like, how is this dropship supposed to stop and hold a ship? It has no tractor beam, not enough weapons to damage subsystems or something like that.

Also, it has no stealth so how is it supposed to even get close?

Also, the whole docking thing is cool to look at but it's a single entry point in the ship soooooo...anyone who has played an fps knows that defenders will just camp the spot/ spam grenades etc and your cool assault force will die in seconds.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars
You put more thought into it than CIG did. Their marketing concluded that people might want boarding ship, they have nothing except for concept art, but they sell it anyway. Backers buy it. That's it.

JugbandDude
Jul 19, 2016

Remember when you were young, you shone like the sun

Shine on you crazy diamond!

The Titanic posted:

I still enjoy how the most star citizens official videos can provide is slow passes of ships, or people walking or sitting somewhere doing an emote.

A decade in and gameplay itself is still so shoddy and broken that getting any clips of it would totally ruin the pretend atmosphere they are trying so hard to project.

Even these highly curated videos are still janky af.

Look at the first few seconds as the Legionnaire is approaching the Carrack, why is the camera bobbing?
    a) does the ship have an external observation camera controlled remotely by the pilot?
    b) or is the player moving the ship in noclip and trying to make it look realistic?

We all know the answer.

Zero_Grade
Mar 18, 2004

Darktider 🖤🌊

~Neck Angels~

That Legionnaire ship looks like rear end and is maybe the dumbest concept they've come up with yet. Wait no, the tank is still dumber.

4th Stimpire Queen posted:

There's a real chance that SC might just stand as a freakish anomaly on the landscape for quite some time
:hmmyes: but not for the reasons they suspect

FishMcCool posted:

How else would you deliver fresh bartender AI to the frontline?
OK, I'll admit that the concept of tactical insertion drop bartenders got a laugh out of me. Stern-faced dudes in suits blasting out of orbit to deliver a precision hairy roberts to critical areas of the battle.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

the legionnaire looks really bad and the breaching docking port or whatever looks like the expand dong meme

Incitatus
Dec 16, 2005

The Meat Man was out of wings, Mr. William Ash More!:argh:

Zero_Grade posted:

Stern-faced dudes in suits blasting out of orbit to deliver a precision hairy roberts to critical areas of the battle.

The ship's entry had been tumultuous. The bartenders were clearly shaken, yet not a single body stirred.

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y4yXQdHzTj4

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"
Star Citizen: United in Purchase

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Invictus is my favourite Star Citizen holiday because it's the one time of year where I can buy ships on sale!

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Blue On Blue posted:

I doubt we ever see theatres again. Crobear didn’t even mention it once in his 10 page plea to the backers

Or maybe he did but I don’t know if anyone can be assed to read the entirety of it

They never talked about it before it suddenly appeared either.

Remember that cig has nearly 800 people and growing. At least 25 of them are hard at work on star citizen.

That leaves a lot left to work on other mystery projects like maybe river tech or marketing strategy.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

I'm more interested in the whole concept tbh.

Like, how is this dropship supposed to stop and hold a ship? It has no tractor beam, not enough weapons to damage subsystems or something like that.

Also, it has no stealth so how is it supposed to even get close?

Also, the whole docking thing is cool to look at but it's a single entry point in the ship soooooo...anyone who has played an fps knows that defenders will just camp the spot/ spam grenades etc and your cool assault force will die in seconds.

Look at how cute you are talking about actual gameplay. :)

Do you not realize dreams? The boarding, the lights flickering, the fires, the guns firing into the smoke over alarms klaxoning and flashing. Suddenly, gravity is lost in both ships as a near miss from a powerful weapon from a nearby idris piloted by DuckMySick666 misses both ships and hits another attacking freighter!

Oh my gosh the action and drama that will be had!!! I almost can't contain myself and am buying a package now to live this moment!!! :homebrew:

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

:lol: that intro immediately made me think of this:

https://youtu.be/8ZZ2NLEIEDI

Hit that nostalgia. :)

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Just to quote it again but this is lovely because when you ask the question:

So if out of 800-ish people, and you have 25 of them working on a game... what are a lot of the others doing?

And this is your answer. Movie cinematics and art! Yay! Question answered!

Chances are they are also making this kind of stuff for other movies as well and... the backers will never know wink wink nudge nudge.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable
I can't even imagine what star citizen could actually be if Chris valued programmers as much as he values artists, and if the company valued making a product as much as they did about making it look like they have a product.

By now you might actually have something that has almost as much functionality as X4 and actually is mostly bug free and working. :shrug:

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard
https://twitter.com/Roball_TV/status/1527241732827533312
https://twitter.com/listening2day/status/1527321092750049283

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
CIG selling a broken and hacked to pieces Cryengine mod to EA or CDPR is maybe my favourite backer delusion.

4th Stimpire Queen
May 4, 2022

The Titanic posted:

So if out of 800-ish people, and you have 25 of them working on a game... what are a lot of the others doing?

And this is your answer. Movie cinematics and art! Yay! Question answered!

I love how CR said they'd not show gameplay cause "this would pull valuable resources away from our game development teams that are working hard" while gently caress knows how many people are working on movies and art to milk whales.

Totally makes sense, for someone making a game.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

That Coffee Cup in the Forest... posted:

With the most recent Letter from the Chairman, Chris was able to confirm that the "Coffee Cup in the Forest" dream is still alive... meaning that, with the level of persistence they will have, simply leaving a coffee cup out in the wilderness will be there for all to see, until someone else comes to pick it up... or nature takes its course, etc.

In that sense, we can assume it will eventually be "recaptured by time" and just removed from the server (and when there are no players in proximity.) Similarly "AI Janitors" might clean up populated areas more regularly to help with the problem of "trash" accumulation, but this can be done with players in proximity.

With replication, we know that eventually that coffee cup will be replicated to that same spot on the forest floor on all servers... effectively when "no one is looking". In most cases with the technology they're developing, the game world is so large that this replication will be near-instant. But in populated areas... lets say the TDD, where it might be several minutes or longer before a player is out of proximity, could that cause any problems? Or are there any exploits that could be taken advantage of by this? Knowing that something can't be replicated to the same spot on all servers?

I don't know, and I don't think this has been done in this way anywhere before, so just sort of a fun theory crafting session... how should these edge cases be handled gracefully?

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Fidelitious posted:

As far as I can tell, Persistent Entity Streaming just means that you save dropped items to a database that can be indexed by location so that you can load those items back when someone else shows up.

I can see why it's important for them in terms of the same stuff showing up across servers, although I assume this isn't their solution for "firing lasers across server boundaries". But this isn't exactly ground-breaking stuff so I'm not really sure what everyone's so excited about.
Yes.

It's exciting because it has a snazzy CI¬G-hype term invented by CRobber himself, as opposed to some silly mundane description like the ones everyone else use for the same thing.

NumptyScrub
Aug 22, 2004

damn it I think the mirrors broken >˙.(
Ok, installed SC for the free fly and so far I can confirm they have not fixed the performance issues lol. Running at 4k with the options all turned up I can get:

Elden Ring: pinned at 60fps and between 5-15% CPU utilisation
Cyberpunk 2077: 50-70fps and sits between 20-30% CPU

Store Citizer: 30-45fps (with stuttering) and CPU goes from 30-80% in spikes

Also holy lol I tabbed out after looking around the room to type this and when I tabbed back in, I had fallen through the floor and I'm stuck in geometry under the map :ughh:

What was the suicide key combo again?

marumaru
May 20, 2013

time to install an ssd, commander

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

NumptyScrub posted:

Ctrl-Shift-Meta-⌘-F14

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

marumaru posted:

time to install an optane, commander

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

NumptyScrub posted:

Ok, installed SC for the free fly and so far I can confirm they have not fixed the performance issues lol. Running at 4k with the options all turned up I can get:

Also holy lol I tabbed out after looking around the room to type this and when I tabbed back in, I had fallen through the floor and I'm stuck in geometry under the map :ughh:

Alt-f4

NumptyScrub
Aug 22, 2004

It's fine, I 30k'd a minute after I posted that :suicide:

marumaru posted:

time to install an ssd, commander

Good point, maybe my PCIe 4 M.2 isn't quick enough to handle Cryengine games :cry:

4th Stimpire Queen
May 4, 2022

NumptyScrub posted:

Thank you for your sacrifice.

.random
May 7, 2007

Is there a term yet for the long-lasting impact installing Stair Cottongin has on your computer, even after attempting to uninstall? Maybe “the long star citizen”?

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Prop Wash posted:

I can’t wait to see the high-performance jump seats.

Tippis posted:

They're like regular jump seats, but with a red stripe and an embroidered TURBO logo.

:wrong:

Kavros
May 18, 2011

sleep sleep sleep
fly fly post post
sleep sleep sleep
just a reminder that star citizen converts MORE of the graphical processing work to CPU if you lower your graphical quality settings, and bottlenecks harder. so if you're having performance issues the first advice is to set graphics settings to highest

I'm on a 3070ti with a whatever the quality equivalent cpu is and all the every rams or whatever, and on star citizen my average fps is somewhere in the 20s if i do none of the things that are recommended for fps improvement, which largely boil down to "leave capped servers and pick whichever server region has nearly nobody on it because the time zone is like 4am there" and "go places nobody else is ever" and "never enter cities" and "never go on planets" and "never install the game"

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Did you increase your page file?

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Wing commander was released in September 1990. Microsoft bought Digital Anvil in December 2000 (and kicked Chris into an "original concept" role). If Wing Commander took around a year or so of development (as games tended to do in those old times) then soon enough Chris will have spent more time "developing" SC than all the time he spent in the Wing Commander series.

And has made much more money doing so.

NumptyScrub
Aug 22, 2004

.random posted:

Is there a term yet for the long-lasting impact installing Stair Cottongin has on your computer, even after attempting to uninstall? Maybe “the long star citizen”?

NGL after trying it in 2019 I "uninstalled", deleted all the directories manually, then a few months later decided I may as well reformat and start from scratch. Not because of SC directly, but definitely informed by previously having SC installed (the other piece was a couple of botched gamepass installs stealing a half TB of unusable space)

Just did a beer run so I have something to do while waiting for clipping / 30k's to resolve :v:

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

That's clearly pre-alpha concept art. The TURBO doesn't stand out unless you run at 8k because of the intricacies of the fabric and thread simulation. :colbert:

marumaru
May 20, 2013

citizen in the franxx

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

NumptyScrub posted:

It's fine, I 30k'd a minute after I posted that :suicide:

So... pretty sure they defeated that 30K error.

That was the milestone in chris' missive that was the major time where SC started to be real I thought.

:thunkher:

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Thank you for your sacrifice.

NumptyScrub
Aug 22, 2004

marumaru posted:

(van)duuling in the franxx

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NumptyScrub
Aug 22, 2004

The 30k is real and terrible and is not my friend :suicide:

Finally got to the show after 3 deaths (one avoidable) and tooled about in the display Carrack for a bit

Got the prompt to rent one and it was zero aUEC?!?!?!

I pressed that Rent button with mucho gusto and guess what...

Managed to successfully rent 2 of the 5(6?) ships on display, now I need to spend the 30+ minutes finding the spaceport, finding the spawn console, spawning a ship, finding the hanger, failing to take off in time and getting blown up, spawning the second ship, finding that hangar and maybe getting into spess? :confuoot: