Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How many quarters after Q1 2016 till Marissa Mayer is unemployed?
1 or fewer
Her job is guaranteed; what are you even talking about?
View Results

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

TACD posted:

can’t we just agree that all computers are bad

but my Amiga...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dietrich
Sep 11, 2001

TACD posted:

the real tech nightmare is rehashing OS holy wars from the turn of the century

can’t we just agree that all computers are bad

can confirm.

Owling Howl
Jul 17, 2019

HelloSailorSign posted:

Quick, get a linux user in here.

The people I know from that period who were way into Linux, freeware, open source, data must be free, empire of evil etc all use Apple stuff today :confuoot:

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Arivia posted:

microsoft is only supporting windows 10 until 2025. so yeah, same lifetime for this PC as with mom's macbook!

Just install Windows 11 op

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
Your operating system is, indeed, a piece of poo poo.

Not mine though.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Wisdom is hating all computers and phones regardless of manufacturer. They're all very lovely and no matter what they will frustrate you and you will grow to hate them.

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

I plan to live forever, of course, but barring that I'd settle for a couple thousand years. Even 500 would be pretty nice.
What if humans are biological computers though?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

HelloSailorSign posted:

Quick, get a linux user in here.

*promptly appears* I can run it on my Z80, take that Apple!

I think we can end the derail now.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

quarantinethepast posted:

Yeah, we suck. We're bad. Disgusting.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Universe is computer. Evolution is the code. We are an undocumented feature.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

Can they run linux?

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

My eyes roll back into my head, an image appearing across the whites of my eyes. I have successfully run Doom on a human

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

the car engine gets throttled to 10% of capacity via a software update to 'ensure your battery lasts' while making every other experience as slow as possible to get you to upgrade.

I mean CA diesel engines already do this with urea injection systems. Real fun to find out how it works at 2 am in the middle of the Delta with 4 tons of grapes on the back of the rental truck.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Nenonen posted:

Universe is computer. Evolution is the code. We are an undocumented feature.

those fuckers skipping QA again

moonmazed
Dec 27, 2021

by VideoGames

Mr. Fall Down Terror posted:

i've been addicted to opium.

wow i didn't know contrapoints posted here!

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Professor Beetus posted:

Just install Windows 11 op

windows 11 made the baffling choice to remove the ability to click on the audio button on your Taskbar and bring up a volume slider.
it's like 4 clicks now and a huge pain.

also every corner is rounded now, so it looks like a child's toy.

never thought I would be the grognard but here we are.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Owling Howl posted:

The people I know from that period who were way into Linux, freeware, open source, data must be free, empire of evil etc all use Apple stuff today :confuoot:

After an entire day of fixing computer poo poo, the last thing you want to do is computer janitor your phone. It does suck that I can’t whip up a random app that is useful to only me and sideload it without getting the App Store involved but the trade off is worth it.

Fake E: Laughing that Cupertino decided to capitalize App Store but I’m guessing that Android capitalizes play store so w/e.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Arivia posted:

My 7600k is blacklisted from running Windows 11 and Microsoft won’t say why despite it meeting their CPU requirements in every way. All electronics companies do this poo poo to one degree or another. I’ll get less than 10 years of support for Windows on my desktop because of this, so yeah, we can all make comparisons to make whomever sound better or worse.

Use Linux and your laptop will last until the heat death of the universe :smuggo:

E:

Goddamn it :negative:

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

I plan to live forever, of course, but barring that I'd settle for a couple thousand years. Even 500 would be pretty nice.
I appreciate the existence of WSL so I can do Linux poo poo without actually having to dedicate a whole partition to it, I never cared for the desktop environments

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Shrecknet posted:

windows 11 made the baffling choice to remove the ability to click on the audio button on your Taskbar and bring up a volume slider.

In Plasma you can adjust the volume by hovering over the audio button and using the scroll wheel. Has MS finally stolen that one?

TearsOfPirates
Jun 11, 2016

Stultior stulto fuisti, qui tabellis crederes! - Idiot of idiots, to trust what is written!

Antigravitas posted:

In Plasma you can adjust the volume by hovering over the audio button and using the scroll wheel. Has MS finally stolen that one?

That's available in Windows 10 as well.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Shrecknet posted:

Thank God, Windows XP is back :woop:

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Those rounded corners are loving wretched

Also, props to KDE Plasma. It'll take stable Wayland support on Nvidia for me to entirely switch to Linux across the board, but in terms of the quality of its desktop environment I have no qualms, I find it nicer to use than Win10.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.
Classic Start solves all the UI issues from the newer tabletized Windows OS'.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Mister Facetious posted:

Thank God, Windows XP is back :woop:

In some ways Windows XP had the best user interface of any Windows, but Luna wasn't one of those ways. On my retro rig I turn that poo poo off and use the Classic theme. In fact, I'd like to have a proper high-DPI version of Windows Classic, they had the right balance of flat and skeuomorphic design 25 years ago.

Kaal posted:

Classic Start solves all the UI issues from the newer tabletized Windows OS'.

Doesn't get rid of the garbage "apps" and the horrific maze of system settings that combines Metro, Windows NT, and Windows 3.x programs into a nightmare clickfest.

Woolie Wool fucked around with this message at 14:51 on May 21, 2022

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.

I appreciate the existence of WSL so I can do Linux poo poo without actually having to dedicate a whole partition to it, I never cared for the desktop environments

there are windows implementation of bash shells like mobaxterm if that's all you needed. They even have a huge number of common and uncommon linux packages

ozmunkeh
Feb 28, 2008

hey guys what is happening in this thread
Yeah WSL2 and the new terminal give you the best of both worlds. A functional desktop environment and the ability to drop into a shell when you need to without having to install a bunch of half-implemented windows ports of command line tools or, god forbid, something as hellish as cygwin. Integration with vscode is also pretty super.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Shrecknet posted:

Actually you can just click the network icon and there's a volume control there. No idea why they confusingly combined them but you can still adjust system volume with a single click.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

ozmunkeh posted:

A functional desktop environment

Professor Beetus posted:

Actually you can just click the network icon and there's a volume control there.

:lmao:

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.

Combined Network/Sound/Battery pop up menu reminiscent of the android and ios pulldown quick settings things

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker

ozmunkeh posted:

Yeah WSL2 and the new terminal give you the best of both worlds. A functional desktop environment and the ability to drop into a shell when you need to without having to install a bunch of half-implemented windows ports of command line tools or, god forbid, something as hellish as cygwin. Integration with vscode is also pretty super.
I've always been one of those idiots who do software development under Windows almost entirely because my dev machine is my personal system. While I've always been comfortable using virtual machines for Linux, my target environment, WSL, vscode, and Terminal have been gamechangers for me.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Watermelon Daiquiri posted:

Combined Network/Sound/Battery pop up menu reminiscent of the android and ios pulldown quick settings things

You can also add and remove things as you need them, so it doesn't have to look like a mobile phone interface if you prefer.

e: This isn't really a tech nightmare so I'll shut up about it now.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
I suppose I'll ask this here since you guys know more about it than me but

I work in graphics and some shops use Windows. So what the gently caress is up with that OS constantly telling me I can't save something I've worked on because It's "in use"? I'll open up an InDesign layout, make an edit, close it and tell to to save but it says "no" and makes me re-write it under a different name, which fucks up my job folders.

I don't have anything else open. I'll quit every other app that's running and I still can't:

Open flle>edit file>close file>save file

Doesn't happen to me on a MAC but happens a LOT on a PC/Windows. Perhaps I am an idiot.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses

BiggerBoat posted:

I suppose I'll ask this here since you guys know more about it than me but

I work in graphics and some shops use Windows. So what the gently caress is up with that OS constantly telling me I can't save something I've worked on because It's "in use"? I'll open up an InDesign layout, make an edit, close it and tell to to save but it says "no" and makes me re-write it under a different name, which fucks up my job folders.

I don't have anything else open. I'll quit every other app that's running and I still can't:

Open flle>edit file>close file>save file

Doesn't happen to me on a MAC but happens a LOT on a PC/Windows. Perhaps I am an idiot.

What type of volume are you saving it to (hard disk, network share, ???) and/or are you using any antivirus software that isn’t Defender?

InDesign works on files with hidden attributes in the background and some processes get really grabby with those. It’s almost always because something is preventing a hidden/temp file from being swapped in or overwriting the old file.

Sophis is particularly bad about this kind of stuff.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

kefkafloyd posted:

What type of volume are you saving it to (hard disk, network share, ???)

Both, and it never seems to matter. Usually over a network onto a server though. It's not just InDesign. It's Acrobat, Photoshop, MS Word, Illustrator and it's in any shop I've worked in that uses PC's. Not sure about the virus software but the only times I've run into it were in the environments I described.

Seriously, it was:

OPEN>EDIT>CLOSE>SAVE

"File is in use/can't save"

So I'd have to constantly rename poo poo and then get confused which one was the working file.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
It's a question of what is using it it shouldn't self-reference the program. Possibly one drive?

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Something is holding a handle on the file.

Sysinternals Process Explorer has a "Find handle…" under "Find…" that you can paste a path into and it lists all the processes holding your file hostage. That's how you can find the culprit.

Hobnob
Feb 23, 2006

Ursa Adorandum
It may be getting too far into the weeds for you, but MS have a program which you can download, Process Explorer, that will show you which applications and processes have which files open.

Odd though, because you'd usually only get that kind of error if something else was trying to write to the file.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Could it possibly be windows indexing or backup settings?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Indexers typically don't request the kind of lock on a file that would prevent you from writing to it.