Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Hrist posted:

The music has been replaced by acapella renditions by Sonic himself. They haven't shown it off yet, because people will be upset when they find out they got Modern Sonic to do it instead of Classic.

I mean, I'd pay money to hear Kanemaru sing Angel Island Zone

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fawf
Nov 5, 2009

It's Me, It's Me, It's DDD

I could accept an acapella soundtrack but only if it's done by the right artist

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oa0giRkQdQM

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Jaleel white acapella or no buy

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

Fawf posted:

I could accept an acapella soundtrack but only if it's done by the right artist

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oa0giRkQdQM

How the gently caress did you record audio of me taking a morning dump and proceeding to make breakfast yesterday?

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

KingKalamari posted:

See, Carnival Night is the one stage I actually wish they'd gone with the beta track instead of the final version. The beta tracks sound like a fun romp, the final tracks sound like a sick clown longing for the sweet embrace of death...

The beta track is too upbeat for getting stuck with that barrel at. The final version feels like a descent into madness which mirrors the players frustration as they don't know how to get past the barrel.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

I like the structure of the release tracks, where the first act is the traditional bombastic Sonic track, then the second act pitches it down a bit, like it's ready to get down to business. The beta tracks lack that, they just don't work the same as a pairing.

I'm getting the game on PC so I'm not that worried either way, if the originals aren't in there then someone will get to work modding them in within an hour of release (or vice versa for the beta tracks).

Hell, if the game is broadly built off of the Mania framework then they can probably finish modding the tracks in within the hour.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

https://twitter.com/afewbruises/status/1527438000451334145?s=21&t=O4BIlVYpz4cQg46O6ocYHw

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Today is your last chance to buy a Sonic 3 & Knuckles ROM on Steam.

Palmtree Panic
Jul 28, 2007

He has no style, he has no grace
Movie Sonic is in the new Chip N Dale movie. The original movie design.

https://twitter.com/sonicstadium/status/1527570123854434304

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1-cXng7soac

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BFDmywMboP4

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

Palmtree Panic posted:

Yeah, there was a leak a while back that mentioned that. It’s a fun idea but I’m not sure I trust the movie to actually make it funny.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Everything I've seen of that movie disgusts me.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Hitlersaurus Christ posted:

Yeah, there was a leak a while back that mentioned that. It’s a fun idea but I’m not sure I trust the movie to actually make it funny.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zGjs1DOF2Hs
It is funny.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Palmtree Panic posted:

Not only is he in the movie but he’s apparently plot relevant as well (arguably more so than Gadget, Zipper, and Monty for that matter)

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Really bold of that movie to throw shade at bad cgi when they couldn’t even use traditional animation for the cartoons drawn that way, and had to use 3D models with crappy cel-shading instead.

I have seen YouTube channels using blender to “fake” cel animation to greater effect.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Why'd they trim the part where he sheds a tear?

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Larryb posted:

Not only is he in the movie but he’s apparently plot relevant as well (arguably more so than Gadget, Zipper, and Monty for that matter)

Around the same level of plot relevance imo

Pants Donkey posted:

Really bold of that movie to throw shade at bad cgi when they couldn’t even use traditional animation for the cartoons drawn that way, and had to use 3D models with crappy cel-shading instead.

I have seen YouTube channels using blender to “fake” cel animation to greater effect.

Yeah there's certain spots where it looks real bad and certain characters start looking like they came out of a PS2 game.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Everything I've seen of that movie disgusts me.

If it weren’t a Lonely Island movie, I wouldn’t have even thought twice about watching it. I’ll be watching it today. Tim Robinson voices Ugly Sonic.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

i love sonic hes so fast and cool

Baggot
Sep 9, 2009

Hail to the King, baby.

Triple Troubles is best

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.

Detective No. 27 posted:

If it weren’t a Lonely Island movie, I wouldn’t have even thought twice about watching it. I’ll be watching it today. Tim Robinson voices Ugly Sonic.

Why the Rescue Rangers though? Why not just make it a sequel to Who Framed Roger Rabbit, but just set it in the modern day and have the main character be the grandson/daughter of Eddie or something

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Willo567 posted:

Why the Rescue Rangers though? Why not just make it a sequel to Who Framed Roger Rabbit, but just set it in the modern day and have the main character be the grandson/daughter of Eddie or something

You're watching the youth of yesterday become the grouchy old farts of tomorrow who can only do two things, remember things they used to enjoy and complain about new things, right before your eyes.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Willo567 posted:

Eddie Valiant was a grown rear end man in the middle of the ‘30s so we’re already in great grandchild territory.

Also I dunno. I didn’t make the movie. The cynical part of me says probably because there’s more nostalgia mining out of Rescue Rangers than Roger Rabbit. I’ll post some impressions after I watch the movie in a few hours, but it looks like it’s a meta story about the nature of nostalgia. I haven’t read any reviews yet.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Its true. I remember classic sonic being good and complain about new sonic being bad. But that's because they were and it is respectively

Hrist
Feb 21, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Willo567 posted:

The Ducktales reboot did really well as fa as I know. So that's probably why. I don't know why they put Sonic in the movie though. I guess one of the companies just had the assets on hand and were like, "Yeah, we can depreciate the wasted cost we threw away on the first version of the movie a little move if we throw him in this script." Assuming there was a completed Ugly Sonic movie to begin with :tinfoil:

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
I think actual kids like episodic cartoons and teens and strange adults like myself tend to like stuff with continuity. It’s why stuff like Teen Titans Go and Big City Greens are so big and stuff like Owl House only gets two seasons or so

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Hrist posted:

The Ducktales reboot did really well as fa as I know. So that's probably why. I don't know why they put Sonic in the movie though. I guess one of the companies just had the assets on hand and were like, "Yeah, we can depreciate the wasted cost we threw away on the first version of the movie a little move if we throw him in this script." Assuming there was a completed Ugly Sonic movie to begin with :tinfoil:

From what I understand the film makes reference to more than just Disney properties (there was a My Little Pony cameo in one of the trailers as well)

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
why?

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005
the rescue rangers film is not a rescue rangers story, its about the "cartoon actors" from the 90s rescue rangers tv show coping with life as former c-list celebrities. this brings them into contact with another c-list cartoon celeb, ugly sonic

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

why is Tigra there, that seems kinda weirdly specific. was there a Tigra show at some point?

hatty posted:

I think actual kids like episodic cartoons and teens and strange adults like myself tend to like stuff with continuity. It’s why stuff like Teen Titans Go and Big City Greens are so big and stuff like Owl House only gets two seasons or so

kids up to age 5 or 6 tend to watch episodic cartoons
around the 7-12 range they start wanting to watch things with a storyline

shows like owl house tend to get a cold treatment by networks because they take more time and money to produce, not because there isn't an audience for them.
also because the creator of owl house publicly criticized disney ceo bob chapek

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Augus posted:

why is Tigra there, that seems kinda weirdly specific. was there a Tigra show at some point?

She's from Avengers: United They Stand apparently, a cartoon from 1999. Looking at the cast list she's the only Avenger who didn't appear in a later Avengers cartoon, so she's there with other washed up characters.
It is a weirdly specific pull.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

They also reference that CGI Beowulf movie that everyone forgot about.

It's like Ready Player One but somehow even more pathetic and stupid.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

I also hate it when things that once existed are put into movies

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Willo567 posted:

The rights to that movie are a gordian knot that has kept any possible sequel in the lowest circle of development hell for 30 years now. Maybe we’ll see something new if Disney eventually buys Warner Bros. or when the media corporations finally merge into a dystopian Omega Monopoly.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

They also reference that CGI Beowulf movie that everyone forgot about.

It's like Ready Player One but somehow even more pathetic and stupid.

Popstar was really good, the concept of this thing looks awful but the people behind and in it might pull a rabbit out of a hat.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

The movie was pretty good. It was more or less a movie about Chip and Dale repairing the estranged friendship within the confines of a crime thriller. It’s got some meta moments and lingers on nostalgia, but it wasn’t some thoughtful exploration on the nature of nostalgia or something like I expected. It’s still a Disney rear end movie, so I was a fool for thinking it would go out of that comfort zone. The villain A fat middle aged Peter Pan has been kidnapping toons who owe him money and forcefully making then undergo surgery to change their features to make them legally distinct characters and forcing them to star in bootleg Disney movies.

Even without the rights issues, I think they did a pretty good decision for it to not be a direct sequel to Who Framed Roger Rabbit. From a danger standpoint, they’re kinda in a corner since WFRR establishes that toons can only die from Dip. This movie has some dangerous moments so it’s kinda clear that toons can die from normal rear end things. (There is a blink and miss bottle of Dip at one point.) Given that it takes place in the modern day, they make good use of the fact that there’s different animation styles. One of my favorite parts was when they go to a place in LA called The Uncanny Valley, that’s populated by 2000s era “realistic” CGI characters.

Ugly Sonic: Ended up being pretty great. Both Chip and Dale meet him at different points in the movie at the convention he’s at and both of them are independently freaked out by his human teeth. There would be these lingering closeups, which was a pretty solid gag. He ends up saving the day in the end. So there’s some weird redemption for the character design.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

It was fine. I guess it helps that I had low expectations. I’d say better than Ready Player One because there is a by-the-numbers plot about friendship than RPO’s…whatever. And the trappings of Hollywood washups at least justifies the crossovers better.

That still doesn’t really make up for the fact that a lot of the movies humor is still just sticking references or characters in the background in the hopes you clap like a trained seal upon cue. So there’s a chase and you got He-Man and Pumbaa and Voltron milling about. Or they’re sneaking around a spa and you get Scrooge McDuck swimming in a money jacuzzi. There is some mildly creative use of this, but I am just really tired of nostalgia being dangled in front of me like keys. Maybe if there was a more cohesive connection to the crossover like only Disney Afternoon characters or just only Disney characters, and I have to specify that I mean actual Disney characters and not IPs they paid to use or just outright own.

Also, apparently Disney had zero permission to use Sonic. I believe he’s called Ugly Sonic throughout the movie, and the design is different from the original movie design. I guess they’re gambling that Paramount or SEGA isn’t going to waste time and money suing over a notorious fuckup. So we get what may be one of the more bizarre circumstances of IP law.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
It's not that bizarre, it's solidly protected parody. Like Dumb Starbucks.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

He’s literally Disney’s Sonic OC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Pants Donkey posted:

It was fine. I guess it helps that I had low expectations. I’d say better than Ready Player One because there is a by-the-numbers plot about friendship than RPO’s…whatever. And the trappings of Hollywood washups at least justifies the crossovers better.

That still doesn’t really make up for the fact that a lot of the movies humor is still just sticking references or characters in the background in the hopes you clap like a trained seal upon cue. So there’s a chase and you got He-Man and Pumbaa and Voltron milling about. Or they’re sneaking around a spa and you get Scrooge McDuck swimming in a money jacuzzi. There is some mildly creative use of this, but I am just really tired of nostalgia being dangled in front of me like keys. Maybe if there was a more cohesive connection to the crossover like only Disney Afternoon characters or just only Disney characters, and I have to specify that I mean actual Disney characters and not IPs they paid to use or just outright own.

Also, apparently Disney had zero permission to use Sonic. I believe he’s called Ugly Sonic throughout the movie, and the design is different from the original movie design. I guess they’re gambling that Paramount or SEGA isn’t going to waste time and money suing over a notorious fuckup. So we get what may be one of the more bizarre circumstances of IP law.

Sonic's famous red shoes are never shown purposefully to avoid infringing on copyright.