Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

Lager posted:

I absolutely support this idea, and now I will harass Marvel to cast Muggsy Bogues as Wolverine.

"I'm the best there is at what I do...and what I do is love my momma, bub"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Gotta be a real pain for Rogue to "not use her powers" when playing basketball. Like that suggests that she knows exactly how much of her strength and stuff is residual Carol Danvers, AND that she can turn that part off and play at regular Rogue levels if she wants.

GokuGoesSSj69
Apr 15, 2017
Weak people spend 10 dollars to gift titles about world leaders they dislike. The strong spend 10 dollars to gift titles telling everyone to play Deus Ex again

theironjef posted:

Gotta be a real pain for Rogue to "not use her powers" when playing basketball. Like that suggests that she knows exactly how much of her strength and stuff is residual Carol Danvers, AND that she can turn that part off and play at regular Rogue levels if she wants.

I'd be more worried about accidentally brushing my arm or something against her face. She'd be very hard to guard.

Jagermonster
May 7, 2005

Hey - NIZE HAT!

OnimaruXLR posted:

I've always been more of a fan of the X-Men playing basketball like they did in the 90s, and only partly because baseball sucks

Mostly because of the potential for cooler fashion ensembles

Just try and tell me this wouldn't serve as effective counter-programming against WB and Space Jam

I think I remember this book. Doesn’t gambit charge up the basketball and absolutely wreck Wolverine for some reason on the next page?

King Baby
Sep 30, 2021
Just watched Mr.Sunday Movie talking about deleted Strange 2 scenes. I’m thinking the guy that wrote Dr.Strange 2 is a DC guy that wanted to see a lot of Grant Morrison Wildstorm stuff come to life on screen. Which is cool to me.The battle with evil strange and the music notes reminded me a lot of Final Crisis then anything else. The alternate world they land on seems a lot like The Authority or The Justice Lords with the Super heroes in control of world affairs. It was bugging me how little we learn about their world of heroes that over step (WHO ELECTED YOU!?!?) and now I hear there was a deleted scenes where the Wanda from their earth was lobotomized to keep her in line. This movie really got the wind taken out of it’s sails coming out last instead of first. It would have killed the mystery of Wanda/Vision and Loki but they both gave up on that 4 episodes in.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Jagermonster posted:

I think I remember this book. Doesn’t gambit charge up the basketball and absolutely wreck Wolverine for some reason on the next page?

IIRC, Gambit goes nuts making shot after shot with Jubilee cheering him on, before Wolverine cuts the pole because Gambit was cheating (using his less obvious mutant super agility). I don't remember if Gambit charges the ball after that point.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I feel like all those "X-Men play sports" all end with them all using powers and then wrecking poo poo. And honestly it would be weird if they just had them play a basketball game and then drink some gatorade.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Gambit used to or still does have a luck power. I don't think it's as powerful as like, Longshot or Domino, but it was something that came up every now and then.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Who first wrote Gambit? His whole thing was being the "super coolest dude" that says garcon and poo poo

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Shageletic posted:

Who first wrote Gambit? His whole thing was being the "super coolest dude" that says garcon and poo poo

Chris Claremont (X-Men 266). He really was toned down at first, just a thief that Storm met who said chere a lot. He didn't really get cartoonishly NORLEANS until around when X-Men TAS came out.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

I have a collector card somewhere that says one of his powers is Emotion Control.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I always assumed he had some kind of superhuman horniness power. Checks out.

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.
I enjoyed the Chip n Dale movie that just aired on Disney+. It had some pretty good gags in it, and some surprise guests. If you're interested at all I'd suggest watching it before the gags get spoiled for you.

I was a big fan as a kid, and this played on that nostaligia pretty well I think.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

STAC Goat posted:

I feel like all those "X-Men play sports" all end with them all using powers and then wrecking poo poo. And honestly it would be weird if they just had them play a basketball game and then drink some gatorade.

One ends with Rogue waving at Reagan in Air Force One.

Medullah posted:

Chris Claremont (X-Men 266). He really was toned down at first, just a thief that Storm met who said chere a lot. He didn't really get cartoonishly NORLEANS until around when X-Men TAS came out.

I always remember how thick it was laid on in X-Men Legends. "STRANGE VOODOO 'ROUND HEAH."

ilikedirt
Oct 15, 2004

king of posting
Gambit slowly morphing into the lightning bug from the princess and the frog

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

howe_sam posted:

What do you think people mean when they play shirts vs skins?
Gambit and Wolverine are on opposite teams though, so they're not playing shirts and skins

OnimaruXLR posted:

I've always been more of a fan of the X-Men playing basketball like they did in the 90s, and only partly because baseball sucks

Mostly because of the potential for cooler fashion ensembles

Just try and tell me this wouldn't serve as effective counter-programming against WB and Space Jam
There's so much there, from Rogue wearing a torn up shirt over her full body suit to Jubilee wearing her sunglasses to Gambit wearing a do-rag, it's great.

Let's not forget that the 90s X-Men TAS adapted that scene roughly, but ended it with Wolverine spiking the ball

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8hO2SK3SJOo

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Joe Fisto posted:

I enjoyed the Chip n Dale movie that just aired on Disney+. It had some pretty good gags in it, and some surprise guests. If you're interested at all I'd suggest watching it before the gags get spoiled for you.

I was a big fan as a kid, and this played on that nostaligia pretty well I think.

It even technically ties to this thread since it features Tigra from the Avengers cartoon no one liked.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

There are rumors going around that in Black Panther 2 Namor is going to be a major part of the film. He is no longer from Atlantis. Instead he is from Tlalocan and all of his Atlantean backstory has instead been changed to Aztec. I'm a big fan of this change if true. Atlantis is already played out in pop culture and Aquaman already got to it first anyway.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

X-O posted:

There are rumors going around that in Black Panther 2 Namor is going to be a major part of the film. He is no longer from Atlantis. Instead he is from Tlalocan and all of his Atlantean backstory has instead been changed to Aztec. I'm a big fan of this change if true. Atlantis is already played out in pop culture and Aquaman already got to it first anyway.

Interesting story potential there as well if they focus on Black Panther and Namor as similar-yet-opposed guardians of peoples viewed as "uncivilized" or "developing." I can see why they'd want to make that change and I'm not terribly broken up about it.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I think I’m like kind of sad if they completely ditch the original idea but I admit I can’t verbalize why and I don’t really have a problem with the change. So shrug.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

Arist posted:

Interesting story potential there as well if they focus on Black Panther and Namor as similar-yet-opposed guardians of peoples viewed as "uncivilized" or "developing." I can see why they'd want to make that change and I'm not terribly broken up about it.

Also both guardians of "hidden" countries, though Wakanda has since revealed itself. The thing I keep wondering is why an Aztec Atlantis equivalent would need to attack Wakanda. I can't see it just being a resource grab. Maybe we'll learn that they have ancient history, give us an excuse to head to the Ancestor Plane again.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Better still have ankle wings, that's all I'm sayin'. Stupid-rear end ankle wings or I'm done

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I’m out if it means Namor doesn’t wear bikini shorts.

ilikedirt
Oct 15, 2004

king of posting

STAC Goat posted:

I’m out if it means Namor doesn’t wear bikini shorts.

The leaks seemed to have confirmed an updated but still bikini centric costume. He has like a neckpiece and some fancy boots but otherwise just a speedo

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

ilikedirt posted:

The leaks seemed to have confirmed an updated but still bikini centric costume. He has like a neckpiece and some fancy boots but otherwise just a speedo

I saw boy shorts, like he upgraded from a green speedo to some green boxer briefs. Sensible really.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

theironjef posted:

Also both guardians of "hidden" countries, though Wakanda has since revealed itself. The thing I keep wondering is why an Aztec Atlantis equivalent would need to attack Wakanda. I can't see it just being a resource grab. Maybe we'll learn that they have ancient history, give us an excuse to head to the Ancestor Plane again.

The rumor is Namor approaches the Wakandans for help keeping their society secret because some kind of tech (which Riri Williams has some kind of attachment to) has made it possible for people to discover it. They work together at first but something happens that ends up turning them against each other.

There is a very blurred piece of concept art out of Namor if you're interested in seeing it and finding out how you'll see the world at 80 when you have severe cataracts.

https://comicbookmovie.com/black_pa...93905#gs.1kl16p

X-O fucked around with this message at 01:21 on May 23, 2022

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I'm surprised no one's posted about this yet.

https://twitter.com/_sulcata/status/1527365764700811264

how long until they just put him all the way in like Tarkin

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Other than the plot point in the previous posts, why are we spoiling this stuff? This isn't a hill I'm going to die on, just curious. Something like the main villain of the film is going to be central to most of the trailers and marketing.

I'm mostly okay with the change because the reality of the movie landscape is that Aquaman is just super similar and DC got there first, though I do wonder whether the Marvel Atlantean characters will still have the same names. Being from an Aztec mythology I would expect to hear something different.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Lobok posted:

I'm mostly okay with the change because the reality of the movie landscape is that Aquaman is just super similar and DC got there first, though I do wonder whether the Marvel Atlantean characters will still have the same names. Being from an Aztec mythology I would expect to hear something different.

I believe that Attuma is supposedly also in the film and is named that. Not sure about any other specific characters.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

TwoPair posted:

I'm surprised no one's posted about this yet.

https://twitter.com/_sulcata/status/1527365764700811264

how long until they just put him all the way in like Tarkin

This is a completely appropriate fate for a man like Stan Lee.

ilikedirt
Oct 15, 2004

king of posting
If anybody would be for being digitized and used in perpetuity, it would be stan lee

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.
The only reason Stan wouldn't like it is it means he's not seeing any money.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Stan invented using someone’s image after their death, you know.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

Aphrodite posted:

This is a completely appropriate fate for a man like Stan Lee.

I immediately searched the news from last year to see if Kirby did it first

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

X-O posted:

Oh God please yes There has been a lack of cool Aztec stuff in movies -aside from animation-, besides people were already crazy Black Panther in my country (It's my belief that the whole 'country that wasn't colonized and thrived' theme really stroke a chord) , if they do things right we are all gonna be on the moon lol

A talking coyote
Jan 14, 2020

Desperado Bones posted:

Oh God please yes There has been a lack of cool Aztec stuff in movies -aside from animation-, besides people were already crazy Black Panther in my country (It's my belief that the whole 'country that wasn't colonized and thrived' theme really stroke a chord) , if they do things right we are all gonna be on the moon lol

Seriously, America was cool but her being from inter dimensional space Mexico takes a little wind out of the sails.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

I've lost track of what's rumor, what's known-but-not-official "rumor" and what some website just made up. Is there an actor pegged for this role everyone's spoiler bar-ing?

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Bruceski posted:

I've lost track of what's rumor, what's known-but-not-official "rumor" and what some website just made up. Is there an actor pegged for this role everyone's spoiler bar-ing?

From a quick search, it seems like they're being played by Tenoch Huerta

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Got the eyebrows for it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

ilikedirt posted:

If anybody would be for being digitized and used in perpetuity, it would be stan lee

While it's something I can see Stan Lee being cool with, I just think it's a gross move because his abusive family would be the ones getting paid.