Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

Colin Mockery
Jun 24, 2007
Rawr

pnac attack posted:

imo at least *try* to make things better, or remove yourself from the equation (which would make things better)

could also bitch about how unsatisfying computer touching is, huck your starbucks cup out the window, and post about it i guess

it is the official position of the thread that you should not kill yourself

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
Personally, I cope by doing what I love: researching, writing, and making memes. :shobon:

two-time fee
Jan 13, 2022

pnac attack posted:

or remove yourself from the equation (which would make things better)

:rolleyes:

Crazypoops
Jul 17, 2017

early days pandemic playing through death stranding as drunk and high as possible with music blasting was the closest I've ever felt to god

Leroy Diplowski
Aug 25, 2005

The Candyman Can :science:

Visit My Candy Shop

And SA Mart Thread
I was in a pretty similar place wrt climate depression a few years ago and it took some time to get through it.

There's a book called "the End of the ocean" that I found pretty compelling. It's about a guy who winds up in a climate refugee camp in France where he and many people around have pretty much lost all hope in life.

He eventually finds this derelict sailboat in the yard of some abandoned house near the camp and starts fantasizing about fixing it up and sailing away. There's no way he can actually sail the boat but he begins to share and build a little community around this fantasy. They spend time sitting in the boat together and doing little projects on the boat. This in turn gives him the strength to actually make decisions for himself and help others in small but meaningful ways.

Everyone is different but I see a lot of similar fantasies in this thread, other online spaces, in my friend group, and in myself. Lots of folks have been throwing themselves into gardening, biking, habitat restoration and other survivalist-lite activities. For me this survival fantasy placebo gets me up in the morning and keeps the sadbrains at a manageable level.

Not trying to prescribe any specific activity to anyone but just sharing from my own life and celebrating the good kind of cope.

emTme3
Nov 7, 2012

by Hand Knit

pnac attack posted:

imo at least *try* to make things better, or remove yourself from the equation (which would make things better)

could also bitch about how unsatisfying computer touching is, huck your starbucks cup out the window, and post about it i guess

motherfucker, we're not allowed to post about things that would actually make things better, remember?

IAMKOREA
Apr 21, 2007

Leroy Diplowski posted:

I was in a pretty similar place wrt climate depression a few years ago and it took some time to get through it.

There's a book called "the End of the ocean" that I found pretty compelling. It's about a guy who winds up in a climate refugee camp in France where he and many people around have pretty much lost all hope in life.

He eventually finds this derelict sailboat in the yard of some abandoned house near the camp and starts fantasizing about fixing it up and sailing away. There's no way he can actually sail the boat but he begins to share and build a little community around this fantasy. They spend time sitting in the boat together and doing little projects on the boat. This in turn gives him the strength to actually make decisions for himself and help others in small but meaningful ways.

Everyone is different but I see a lot of similar fantasies in this thread, other online spaces, in my friend group, and in myself. Lots of folks have been throwing themselves into gardening, biking, habitat restoration and other survivalist-lite activities. For me this survival fantasy placebo gets me up in the morning and keeps the sadbrains at a manageable level.

Not trying to prescribe any specific activity to anyone but just sharing from my own life and celebrating the good kind of cope.

Thanks for the book recommendation I'll try it!

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

pnac attack posted:

I don't think you should advocate for people to kill themselves here or in any other thread but maybe that's just me

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

I love how people kramer into doomer threads demanding positivity and receipts of our action, and after a couple pages it usually ends up with a suggestion we commit suicide.

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

Hubbert posted:

Personally, I cope by doing what I love: researching, writing, and making memes. :shobon:

i cope by learning how to make non-meat protein sources more satisfying to eat so im not caught flat footed when meat gets too expensive / completely unavailable

the trick to making tasty tofu is to fry it in a little chili oil and try to get in the habit of freezing your tofu blocks and thawing them out as-needed, this improves the texture in my opinion

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

pnac attack posted:

I wish I could Kramer into other threads, and either (1) berate people into doing things they are already doing, or (2) indirectly tell them to ... kill themselves?

blatman posted:

i cope by learning how to make non-meat protein sources more satisfying to eat so im not caught flat footed when meat gets too expensive / completely unavailable

the trick to making tasty tofu is to fry it in a little chili oil and try to get in the habit of freezing your tofu blocks and thawing them out as-needed, this improves the texture in my opinion

give us a recipe!!!!

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

blatman posted:

I've tried and failed to make good tofu a few times now, and I also find the quality of tofu dishes at restaurants is super hit or miss. But man, some good fried tofu from a chinese place is so loving good. If I can just learn to do it my drat self!!!! I have some in the freezer for my next attempt right now, extra firm bay bee

Bleu
Jul 19, 2006

https://twitter.com/bigblackjacobin/status/1527716091597934594 lol, lmao, etc

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

Hubbert posted:

I wish I could Kramer into other threads, and either (1) berate people into doing things they are already doing, or (2) indirectly tell them to ... kill themselves?

give us a recipe!!!!

empty whippet box posted:

I've tried and failed to make good tofu a few times now, and I also find the quality of tofu dishes at restaurants is super hit or miss. But man, some good fried tofu from a chinese place is so loving good. If I can just learn to do it my drat self!!!! I have some in the freezer for my next attempt right now, extra firm bay bee

i'm short on time right now so imma give you guys the coles notes version:

-squeeze out the water, cut into cubes (I use extra firm tofu, it still has quite a bit of water in it. if your tofu block breaks during this stage it doesn't matter just cut it up anyway)
-heat up oil in wok (I use a little bit of chili oil, use non-chili oil if you don't want heat or consider diluting it with regular cooking oil), if you're adding ginger or garlic add it to the oil, once the ginger/garlic starts trying to launch itself out of the pan u add the cubes, flop them around a bunch until all sides are coated in hot oil
-add sauce (hoisin sauce, decent soy sauce, sweet n sour sauce are my go-to's for this) and flop it around a bunch with a spatula or do that wok flip move where you launch everything out of the pan then back in
-wait until sizzling goes down then flip the cubes around a bunch, every time you flip the sizzling will temporarily increase in intensity and when it decreases a bunch it's time to flip
-once everything looks adequately browned it's done, if you want to add MSG do it before it's browned too much

whole process takes like 10-15 minutes, you can turn it into tofu fried rice by just microwaving some leftover rice and frozen veggies, dumping them on top with some soy sauce and mixing it up real good until the soy sauce induced sizzling dies down, the tofu will still retain the flavor of their own sauce while the rice+veg mixture will be lightly soy sauced

edit: didn't cspam used to have a cooking thread? i think 2022 is a good time for everyone to reevaluate their cooking methods because of everything going on

blatman has issued a correction as of 19:30 on May 20, 2022

Leroy Diplowski
Aug 25, 2005

The Candyman Can :science:

Visit My Candy Shop

And SA Mart Thread

IAMKOREA posted:

Thanks for the book recommendation I'll try it!

Np, also read "the world gives way" especially if you liked Aurora. It's another generation ship story but even more of a climate change analogy and tackles a lot of the philosophical topics that come up itt.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

empty whippet box posted:

don't give up, people making it at restaurants have a lot more practice than you. you'll get there.

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

skooma512 posted:

I love how people kramer into doomer threads demanding positivity and receipts of our action, and after a couple pages it usually ends up with a suggestion we commit suicide.

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

who are the malthusian ecofascists now?

:smug:

emTme3
Nov 7, 2012

by Hand Knit
nothing any individual can do is meaningful action, including suicide. it's too late for suicide to matter!

doing the needful at any meaningful scale requires armies. armies that don't currently exist.

T-Paine
Dec 12, 2007

Sitting in the Costco food court unmasked, Bible in hand, reading my favorite Psalms to my five children: Abel, Bethany, Carlos, Carlos, and Carlos.

skooma512 posted:

The worst posters on the forum are not very creative or good at the whole words thing in general

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

T-Paine posted:

The worst posters on the forum are not very creative or good at the whole words thing in general

I'll have you know that I am actually very good at whole words :mad:

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Sleng Teng posted:

born in the biosphere collapse, molded by it

it’s called neuroplasticity :nsa:

pnac attack
Jul 7, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

WorldsStongestNerd posted:

IRL I also consume products and actively make the environment worse with my lifestyle.

maybe don't

emTme3 posted:

motherfucker, we're not allowed to post about things that would actually make things better, remember?

no one told me

emTme3 posted:

nothing any individual can do is meaningful action, including suicide. it's too late for suicide to matter!

doing the needful at any meaningful scale requires armies. armies that don't currently exist.

what are armies made of

there are alternatives to hedonism besides suicide, individual action is the only action an individual can take, and every action is meaningful

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Why hurry? Might as well stick around to see what happens.

Mr. Sharps
Jul 30, 2006

The only true law is that which leads to freedom. There is no other.

https://youtu.be/8vWIenK4p60

frying tofu is a good place to start and this vid is a good primer. tons of good recipes on that channel too + the context and technique behind them. their mapo tofu recipe is great

emTme3
Nov 7, 2012

by Hand Knit

pnac attack posted:

what are armies made of

armies are made of people, weapons, ammo, food, organization, a unifying ideology. when i see anything like the red/green army developing on these wasted shores, you can be sure i'll be the first to join up and throw my body into the gears of the machine.

quote:

there are alternatives to hedonism besides suicide, individual action is the only action an individual can take, and every action is meaningful

you're a loving moron. there is absolutely no action that one can take within capitalist coordinates that does anything but make the problem worse. the problem is the system itself. the only 'meaningful' actions worth taking are extremely illegal.

and as for alternatives to hedonism, why don't you check out my site, so you can purge yourself of ignorance and pussified liberal tendencies and turn yourself into a cold-eyed steel-hearted revolutionary subject.

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

Mr. Sharps posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8vWIenK4p60

frying tofu is a good place to start and this vid is a good primer. tons of good recipes on that channel too + the context and technique behind them. their mapo tofu recipe is great

that channel is 10/10, and I love it dearly

pnac attack
Jul 7, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

emTme3 posted:

armies are made of people, weapons, ammo, food, organization, a unifying ideology. when i see anything like the red/green army developing on these wasted shores, you can be sure i'll be the first to join up and throw my body into the gears of the machine.

you're a loving moron. there is absolutely no action that one can take within capitalist coordinates that does anything but make the problem worse. the problem is the system itself.

and as for alternatives to hedonism, why don't you check out my site, so you can purge yourself of ignorance and pussified liberal tendencies and turn yourself into a cold-eyed steel-hearted revolutionary subject.

be the change dude. life still exists outside those systems, i've seen your site and it'd be a lot more useful if you quit having lil tantrums and taking it down. "purge yourself of ignorance" is an insanely arrogant line, not exactly on track to build an army or even a goddamn squat with that poo poo

Kunabomber
Oct 1, 2002

Pillbug

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

IAMKOREA
Apr 21, 2007

pnac attack posted:

be the change dude. life still exists outside those systems, i've seen your site and it'd be a lot more useful if you quit having lil tantrums and taking it down. "purge yourself of ignorance" is an insanely arrogant line, not exactly on track to build an army or even a goddamn squat with that poo poo

Biosphere collapse: be the change dude

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

IAMKOREA
Apr 21, 2007
Hey dude, have you tried just like running for city council in your suburb and getting them to build communist apartment blocks with light rail connections? Maybe make personal motor vehicle ownership illegal? Reduce meat consumption by 95 percent? End aviation? Make the US military just like, stop existing? Be the change dude.

T-Paine
Dec 12, 2007

Sitting in the Costco food court unmasked, Bible in hand, reading my favorite Psalms to my five children: Abel, Bethany, Carlos, Carlos, and Carlos.
"I got multiple ten win streaks in the unreasonably difficult 2019 game Noita" I will tell the bedraggled rag-wearing youth as they and I both starve. "Many people never even beat it once."

El Scandelouse
Jan 10, 2003

Love, Drunkchat.

tiberion02
Mar 26, 2007

People tend to make the common mistake of believing that a situation will last forever.

IAMKOREA
Apr 21, 2007

pnac attack posted:

Glenn posters: is this guy yours? This is just too much

NeatHeteroDude
Jan 15, 2017

IAMKOREA posted:

Glenn posters: is this guy yours? This is just too much

Please transfer him to our thread permanently, thank you

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

pnac attack posted:

Please explain how we can live outside of the ecosystem. let me guess your hero is musk?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eraflure
Oct 12, 2012

Checking out the questions in my 12yo students' annual examination.

"Where do you see yourself in 30 years?"

:lmao: