Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
In a thread in AI a bunch of people were arguing that speeding was safe and necessary because can you imagine NOT keeping up with traffic going 30 mph over the speed limit? that would be so dangerous!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Wow, UP TO a whole thousand dollars

heated game moment posted:

In a thread in AI a bunch of people were arguing that speeding was safe and necessary because can you imagine NOT keeping up with traffic going 30 mph over the speed limit? that would be so dangerous!

Were they screaming about hydraulic flow

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

That happens here too, it's a pretty common brainworm

Blockade
Oct 22, 2008

Im sincerely bothered by people saying their disability (unspecified) is why we must have car centric infrastructure everywhere and why they cant take public transit

My sister in law cant drive a car due to her disability

mystes
May 31, 2006

My disability (brainworms)

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

TeenageArchipelago posted:

were they turning right on red? or just blasting through a red?

thinking about it, most pedestrian fatalities are probably red-light related. Maybe we can get rid of red lights?

No the stop 4 lanes of busy traffic via blinking lights kind

mazzi Chart Czar
Sep 24, 2005
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JbqNUqdZlwM
Good video. I want really small streets where I live. Streets that look more like secret paths.

Had this really messed up thought. What if the reason we are starting to see a sort of end of car-concentric living is due to baby boomers collectively becoming too old to drive and are transforming the usa, yet again, to fit their needs and wants.

mazzi Chart Czar has issued a correction as of 23:22 on May 20, 2022

Petanque
Apr 14, 2008

Ca va bien aller

unfortunately, this will happen regardless

Persiflagist
Mar 7, 2013

AnimeIsTrash posted:

i like cars and think tehre should be more of them

theyre cool

cool av
Mar 2, 2013

Fitzy Fitz posted:

It was really nice of the city to make our buses fare-free, but they're still not going to get much ridership when routes stop at 6 pm and some routes only run once an hour. I really try to take the bus but it constantly screws me.

there’s a bus route on my commute i could use but the service is so irregular I walk the entire route (first to last stop) instead. even if the drat gps tracking or live ETAs worked I could at least use it SOMETIMES but they can’t even get that working.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

i was thinking moveable cities but that discriminates against people in a coma or iron lung

mazzi Chart Czar
Sep 24, 2005
Enjoyable cities.

Edit: Livable cities?

mystes
May 31, 2006

mazzi Chart Czar posted:

Had this really messed up thought. What if the reason we are starting to see a sort of end of car-concentric living is due to baby boomers collectively becoming too old to drive and are transforming the usa, yet again, to fit their needs and wants.
If that was actually happening I could deal with that being the reason

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

actionjackson posted:

i was thinking moveable cities but that discriminates against people in a coma or iron lung

I watched a documentary about movable cities and let me tell you, the City of London loved the idea.

Just look at what moving cities can accomplish

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=plA7N05y81M

Greatbacon
Apr 9, 2012

by Pragmatica

mazzi Chart Czar posted:

Enjoyable cities.

Thriving Cities

edit: some actual content for thread

Denver's Department of Climate Action, Sustainability & Resiliency (man what a loving mouthful) launched a straight-up $400 cash rebate for any resident buying an e-bike in the city. Plus more for those with low income or for cargo bikes.

https://www.denvergov.org/Governmen...Bikes#section-2

https://coloradosun.com/2022/05/13/denver-e-bike-rebates-popular-climate-change/

It blew through it's budget in like 19 days (too soon for me to get around to actually using it) but it got me thinking and my wife & I are gonna sell our second car and get some e-bikes!

Greatbacon has issued a correction as of 00:39 on May 21, 2022

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

mazzi Chart Czar posted:

Enjoyable cities.

Shouldn't do these peoples job for them. They wanna call it something else let's hear it, if they just wanna complain they can be ignored because that's a very clear sign that they just want people to stop talking about it Defund-style

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

I'm sure this person cares deeply about people who can't walk, and isn't just using the existence of disabled people to preserve their comfortable status quo.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Speed limits are set for revenue generation not safety. gently caress off.

mystes
May 31, 2006

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

Yeah like those speed limits in school zones, everyone knows that kids would be safer if you drove through them at 100mph

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

terminal car brain, hate to see it folks

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

Just remembered this lmao

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XxyKQR0cJng

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

also this one:

https://abcnews.go.com/Business/tesla-autopilot-steered-driver-barrier-fatal-crash-ntsb/story?id=68936725

quote:

The driver who died after his Tesla crashed into a highway barrier while using autopilot had previously complained about the system aiming him towards the same barrier, according to newly released documents from the National Transportation Safety Board.

"Many times, when the driver went past the crash location in the left lane, the Tesla would steer left toward the gore point area and he would have to manually take control to stay within the left lane," the NTSB documents stated.

"The family explained that it happened so often that he had told both his brother and his wife about the problem," it added.

The man even attempted to show his family how the car steered left when they passed the location once, the documents said.

The man's phone data showed the game "Three Kingdoms" was active at the time of the fatal crash.

The NTSB also released information about a second fatal crash involving Tesla's autopilot in Florida in May 2019.

The driver engaged the autopilot system about 10 seconds prior to the crash, according to the NTSB, and his hands were not detected on the steering wheel at the time of the crash.

Car brain makes you use the autopilot in the spot where the autopilot has tried to kill you enough times that you knew that you could reproduce it for family so that you can play your games

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

mystes posted:

Yeah like those speed limits in school zones, everyone knows that kids would be safer if you drove through them at 100mph

Acutally the only correct answer is that there are no public roads near schools in the first place. If you drive your child to school your are an unfit parent. Get this liberal bullshit "school zones" idea out of here and shut down all roads that border a school, to start with.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

:lol: no they aren't you loving dumbass. This is the kind of poo poo that teenagers believe.

Speed limits are routinely "too low" relative to how wide and straight the roads are, but this has nothing to do with police ticketing people, and everything to with:

• the (generally wealthy) people who live in that area complained until a local politician pulled strings to get the limit reduced; and/or
  • the road was over designed in the first place because North American road design guidelines are terrible

Police absolutely do not need speed limits to issue tickets, you can go to any busy suburban intersection and see dozens of moving violations in an hour. They do primarily enforce speed limits because it's easy.

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

DID NOT VOTE FOR FETTERMAN

Absolutely. Slow/safe drivers are unironically responsible for road rage and at the end of the day they're deluding themselves because there's nothing you can do to make driving safe.

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

Blockade posted:

Im sincerely bothered by people saying their disability (unspecified) is why we must have car centric infrastructure everywhere and why they cant take public transit

My sister in law cant drive a car due to her disability

Wonder if they can talk to people with similar disabilities in countries that aren't so carbrained

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

Excluding speed traps they're generally set by the design of the road

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

I have a hard time believing speed limits are set for revenue generation in an era when the cops don't pull anyone over for anything. At least around here.

Do 100mph all the way out to the airport if you want. Treat the parkway like your own personal Nurburgring, if you'd like. They'll come clean up the mess after you smear yourself (or someone else), but up until that point you aren't getting pulled over.

Sphyre
Jun 14, 2001

gently caress you gently caress you gently caress you gently caress YOU

e: gently caress off!!

Sphyre
Jun 14, 2001

"revenue gathering" is a catch all term used by car brains to oppose anything which would require them to follow the loving rules

:getout:

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

It would be nice if there were some way to fix issues with car safety without just directly dumping money into the police armored fighting vehicle fund.

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown
I'm still just amazed that people can be ok with a guaranteed number of fatalities every year in exchange for sacrificing hours a day doing something unpleasant

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

mystes posted:

If you look through the violations, pretty much all of them for the first-place car are in school zones.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
Enemy No. 1 of the I Hate Cars Thread: Sammy Hagar
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RvV3nn_de2k

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

Mayor Dave posted:

I'm still just amazed that people can be ok with a guaranteed number of fatalities every year in exchange for sacrificing hours a day doing something unpleasant

see also: right turn on red

Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009
Smellrose
Right turn on red is just an American thing, right? Like jaywalking.

As a Texan pedestrian, I rarely see any driver slow down for pedestriaslns at a crosswalk. Maybe 1 in 30 will actually stop to let someone pass.

mazzi Chart Czar posted:

Lol. Baby boomers would rather run over a farmers' market than give up driving.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Pryor on Fire posted:

It would be nice if there were some way to fix issues with car safety without just directly dumping money into the police armored fighting vehicle fund.

I mean there's a fun and most importantly equitable way to do it cameras logging the times license plates go past them and then billing you if you cover the distance between them too fast, a bunch of European countries do it.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Blockade posted:

https://twitter.com/thornhawthorne/status/1527646165096865797

wut about people who are disabled in a way they cant drive a car?

https://twitter.com/modacitylife/status/1525803483814838272

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Learn to recognize

Learn to recognize

Learn to recognize

Cugel the Clever posted:

There are solidly left-wing folk who, like a lot of us, have been steeped in car-brain their entire lives and will argue vehemently against a bike or bus lane taking away a car lane or parking, with the complaint that the former cater to gentrifying elites while the latter are absolute necessities for working class drivers.

SKULL.GIF posted:

We call these people wreckers.