Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters
good news, loyal subjects of the empire!

https://mobile.twitter.com/tigersgoroooar/status/1526630786924961796

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
so royal mail just announced record profits of £758m. Sure is good it got sold off becuase it wasn't profitable

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
The power of the free market hard at work already!

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

having pried up and sold everything that was nailed down, the government moves on to selling the nails themselves

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Remember when Osborne was going to privatise the land registry

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Bringing back the good old Victorian times.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hIb0JUwwXyE&t=215s

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

happyhippy posted:

Bringing back the good old Victorian times.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hIb0JUwwXyE&t=215s

You can always do the Japanese homeless thing of getting imprisoned to get food and housing.

e:
But, you might ask, wouldn't it be cheaper to just subsidise their food and homeless shelters?

Why yes, it would! But then, where would the very moral and proper suffering come from?

Private Speech has issued a correction as of 16:29 on May 19, 2022

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

Jose posted:

so royal mail just announced record profits of £758m. Sure is good it got sold off becuase it wasn't profitable

Valko
Sep 18, 2015
https://twitter.com/justyce1980/status/1527251917428166657

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

EAT. SHIT.

Abundance of suffering is the bedrock of british universal suffrage.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

imagine if corbyn had done this. also lol

https://twitter.com/StefGotBooted/status/1527309129353637888?s=20&t=Ai5tUtfufCygRb-4G4_i0g

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

which is why we must work hard to exclude everyone who doesn't belong to our club in the party

Clyde Radcliffe
Oct 19, 2014

https://twitter.com/JuliaDavisNews/status/1512666586829754370

Welcome to Putin's Britain.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
ahahahahaha i just found something amazing. you probably work at a place with a "absence management" policy, and many many of you will have been impacted by it. if you have ever hit a sickness "staging trigger", you have experienced it, the whole NHS runs some variant on it. this is all derived from something called The Bradford Factor, and it has many many euphemisms. the simplest way to describe it is like this:

(Number of occasions of absence in previous year) ^2 x (Total days absent in the previous year) = Bradford score/attendance score

if you look in your current sickness absence policy you will almost certainly find some variation on this with obfuscated language or slight variation. The Bradford Factor is broadly used as an attendance management tool in the UK in the public and private sectors. the cabinet office gushed about it in a report on public sector absence management in 2004, describing it as a sophisticated scientific formula to fairly deal with sickness absence. after all it's a Factor, it's got math in it and as such it is a near univerally applied metric.

there are two major problems here. first, look at that equation again, and in fact lets simplify it to (x^2)(y)=z. see the problem? here, let an economist tell it:

but that must be a misunderstanding, right? we'll just go check the literature, find the article the The Bradford Factor is based on - oh, there isn't one? or a book, or an article or a seminar or a video or, let alone anything peer reviewed literally anything that describes the theoretical underpinning of this equation...

because there is no Bradford.

there are a handful of folksy origin stories like it came out of a school named Bradford but they're all completely unverifiable. there is no theory written by a Bradford, no human resources consultant or writer named Bradford, and the school named Bradford it allegedly comes from has repeatedly said it has nothing to do with them. he's made up.

so if you've ever had a manager tell you "i'm sorry but you've hit your trigger, we'll need to have a staging meeting" know that what's actually happening is a totally made up unscientific nonsense has been applied so punishing you isn't your managers fault somehow and the constant fear you might have of hitting a higher trigger is the entire function of the policy.

quote:

The one advantage that the Bradford factor might have is that it
encourages managers to collect the data in the first place and to look
at them critically. At its introduction, it may also have the effect of
impressing on workers that they are being watched. However, it is not
a magic formula. It creates incentives by itself that are not obviously
the ones that someone managing absenteeism would want to create.
Linked to an explicit set of actions, in the way that the Prison Service
apparently does, it seems to us to have much potential for injustice.
Finally, whatever else it might be, it is not ‘a formula for measuring an
employee’s irregularity of absence’. This remark shows deep
misunderstanding on the part of whoever originally wrote it, and a lack of
critical faculties in those who have copied it.

(source: Treble, J. and Barmby, T. (2011) Policy implications for firms. Worker Absenteeism and Sick Pay, pp. 175-190.)

see kids, a business management degree helps you learn all kinds of fun poo poo lmao

CoolCab has issued a correction as of 02:01 on May 20, 2022

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

CoolCab posted:

ahahahahaha i just found something amazing. you probably work at a place with a "absence management" policy, and many many of you will have been impacted by it. if you have ever hit a sickness "staging trigger", you have experienced it, the whole NHS runs some variant on it. this is all derived from something called The Bradford Factor, and it has many many euphemisms. the simplest way to describe it is like this:

(Number of occasions of absence in previous year) ^2 x (Total days absent in the previous year) = Bradford score/attendance score

if you look in your current sickness absence policy you will almost certainly find some variation on this with obfuscated language or slight variation. The Bradford Factor is broadly used as an attendance management tool in the UK in the public and private sectors. the cabinet office gushed about it in a report on public sector absence management in 2004, describing it as a sophisticated scientific formula to fairly deal with sickness absence. after all it's a Factor, it's got math in it and as such it is a near univerally applied metric.

there are two major problems here. first, look at that equation again, and in fact lets simplify it to (x^2)(y)=z. see the problem? here, let an economist tell it:

but that must be a misunderstanding, right? we'll just go check the literature, find the article the The Bradford Factor is based on - oh, there isn't one? or a book, or an article or a seminar or a video or, let alone anything peer reviewed literally anything that describes the theoretical underpinning of this equation...

there are a handful of folksy origin stories like it came out of a school named Bradford but they're all completely unverifiable. there is no theory written by a Bradford, no human resources consultant or writer named Bradford, and the school named Bradford it allegedly comes from has repeatedly said it has nothing to do with them. he's made up.

so if you've ever had a manager tell you "i'm sorry but you've hit your trigger, we'll need to have a staging meeting" know that what's actually happening is a totally made up unscientific nonsense has been applied so punishing you isn't your managers fault somehow and the constant fear you might have of hitting a higher trigger is the entire function of the policy.

(source: Treble, J. and Barmby, T. (2011) Policy implications for firms. Worker Absenteeism and Sick Pay, pp. 175-190.)

see kids, a business management degree helps you learn all kinds of fun poo poo lmao
I'm not sure about this criticism? Aggregating numbers into a single metric for comparison purposes is entirely normal. The real mathematical criticism seems to be how the formula is set up, where the power of two on the number of absences rapidly inflates the input. Arguably, it's even worse than that, since you can rewrite it as

(Number of occasions of absence in previous year) ^3 x (Average days absent per absence in the previous year)

Meaning you're far better served staying absent if there's the smallest chance that you might "relapse". Like, these are roughly equal cases from the PoV of the Bradford Factor:

10x 1 day absence (10 days total)
5x 8 day absence (40 days total)
4x 16 days absence (64 days total)

Admittedly it might be a good idea to encourage workers to stay away until they're not contagious, but the logic also encourages workers to go to work while potentially being contagious if they haven't taken a sick day yet.

A Buttery Pastry has issued a correction as of 06:16 on May 20, 2022

CancerCakes
Jan 10, 2006

A Buttery Pastry posted:

I'm not sure about this criticism? Aggregating numbers into a single metric for comparison purposes is entirely normal. The real mathematical criticism seems to be how the formula is set up, where the power of two on the number of absences rapidly inflates the input. Arguably, it's even worse than that, since you can rewrite it as

(Number of occasions of absence in previous year) ^3 x (Average days absent per absence in the previous year)

Meaning you're far better served staying absent if there's the smallest chance that you might "relapse". Like, these are roughly equal cases from the PoV of the Bradford Factor:

10x 1 day absence (10 days total)
5x 8 day absence (40 days total)
4x 16 days absence (64 days total)

Admittedly it might be a good idea to encourage workers to stay away until they're not contagious, but the logic also encourages workers to go to work while potentially being contagious if they haven't taken a sick day yet.

You forgot the best option

1 X 1000 days

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

A Buttery Pastry posted:

yeah that was the overall conclusion of the book on the topic - it incentivizes people to stay home longer and come in sick, totally counterproductive and enormously punitive and used as if it was a sophisticated tool of some kind, it's not at all.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

CancerCakes posted:

You forgot the best option

1 X 1000 days
I excluded it for being longer than a year. :v: But yeah, you could stay away an entire year and get a lower score than someone who has seven separate sick days.

CoolCab posted:

yeah that was the overall conclusion of the book on the topic - it incentivizes people to stay home longer and come in sick, totally counterproductive and enormously punitive and used as if it was a sophisticated tool of some kind, it's not at all.
It's very management.

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

My Bradford Factor was so high when they decided to medically retire me!

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

CoolCab posted:

funnily enough my (maybe ex we're a bit distant) partner is literally a university lecturer in HR management, I should ask her about it :v:

I bet there would be a lot of complaints involved

Private Speech has issued a correction as of 09:36 on May 20, 2022

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

leopards eating faces etc

https://twitter.com/Peston/status/1527583568263884802?s=20&t=Q2dDyQ0Ig8tFxjlVDEZJVQ

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
I know someone who broke their leg and had to take 2 weeks off, and for the next year their manager was like "we need to look into ways of getting your Bradford scores under control" if she took another sick day

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

I imagine it would also have been along racial grounds, except, these are Tory staffers we're talking about

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

MikeCrotch posted:

I know someone who broke their leg and had to take 2 weeks off, and for the next year their manager was like "we need to look into ways of getting your Bradford scores under control" if she took another sick day

"Well you could fix the lovely air conditioning so it actually works and the office is slightly less of a haven for bacteria & viruses" usually goes down well.

Facehammer
Mar 11, 2008

https://twitter.com/RobinMulvihill1/status/1527586955273314305?t=OSsxyrnoUsI238YGtw6Q_Q&s=19

Hell, they'd even get my vote.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

gonadic io posted:

I imagine it would also have been along racial grounds, except, these are Tory staffers we're talking about

I think many of them are 'just' civil servants not tory party.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall

MikeCrotch posted:

You control your Bradford score by setting a union on your boss and hoping whoever shows up is in the appropriately vindictive mood. We had a full day on it at rep training and the lecturer started that day with "this is my attempt to radicalise you before sending you off to help your fellow workers"

It just appeared out of the ether, the soulless pinnacle of a century of taylorism, and became the go to excuse for obvious disability discrimination. It significantly damages the attendance, workforce retention and profitability of every company that touches it and that's fine because none of those things are the point.

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

Spangly A posted:

You control your Bradford score by setting a union on your boss and hoping whoever shows up is in the appropriately vindictive mood. We had a full day on it at rep training and the lecturer started that day with "this is my attempt to radicalise you before sending you off to help your fellow workers"

It just appeared out of the ether, the soulless pinnacle of a century of taylorism, and became the go to excuse for obvious disability discrimination. It significantly damages the attendance, workforce retention and profitability of every company that touches it and that's fine because none of those things are the point.

The precursor to "the algorithm" as the goto justification for incredibly discriminatory behaviour.

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

Civil servants being thrown under the bus, civil servants being bullied to return to the office when there aren't enough spaces, civil servants being called lazy and unproductive, civil servants being told that the government want to reduce their size by 1/5

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007

CoolCab posted:

this sounds hellish and dystopian and I live in loving america

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

it's no secret that Britain's been trying to imitate the Yanks since 1979, if not earlier

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Venomous posted:

it's no secret that Britain's been trying to imitate the Yanks since 1979, if not earlier

I mean at-will employment is worse but lol this is dystopian as hell

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

the labour right insisting that they didn't poll the right kind of redf wall voters

https://twitter.com/MetroMayorSteve/status/1527738988252958720?s=20&t=8bKBCZl20suR9NoConu15A

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

I hate him I think more tha anyone else working in journalism

https://twitter.com/guardian/status/1527666779933270016?t=GOLVfh4jxxQVNGaqehtsew&s=19

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

It's a fine speech but it doesn't even look like it's got that much attention with that small a crowd.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Lostconfused posted:

It's a fine speech but it doesn't even look like it's got that much attention with that small a crowd.

the speech wasn't meant for her colleagues. most speeches aren't

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Lol this guy literally wrote starmers conference speech

https://twitter.com/NewStatesman/status/1527687837105238017?t=_AuMMY_precRm2fKgNZfVA&s=19

Man Musk
Jan 13, 2010

Man Musk
Jan 13, 2010

Brutal what happened to Clyde Radcliffe. He ain't wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose
Jul 24, 2007