Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Lumbermouth posted:

Okay phew I was worried that the person who said "I'm Batman" wasn't Batman.

I’d have gone with “Batman! Eeehhhh!” from Batman Forever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

dorium posted:

I’d rather have a bag of hamburgers

I can hear this post in Billy Baldwin’s voice

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

Egbert Souse posted:

In the six years UHD has been around, a grand total of five 20th Century Fox titles released prior to 2000 have been released on UHD (nine if you count Star Wars OT and TPM).

Universal is close to 50 including boutique licenses.

Disney is literally the only major studio not licensing titles for UHD to boutique labels.

Why does Disney hate money? Like, Disney+ and Hulu are not going to lose subscribers if they released Big Trouble in Little China on 4k.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

Cemetry Gator posted:

Why does Disney hate money? Like, Disney+ and Hulu are not going to lose subscribers if they released Big Trouble in Little China on 4k.

Pure speculation, obviously.

They probably like to keep their options open, and licensing would preclude them doing their own release, or cannibalize sales of their own releases.

They might also be keeping them in their back pocket for when they need to inexpensively drive growth on D+. I could see "Fox/Touchstone movies for adults in 4K for the first time" as something they could add to the service to bring in new eyes in year 5 or something like that.

It's Disney, man. It took them a while to get on board with home video for their "evergreen" titles at all. They didn't want to do it, they wanted to keep doing theatrical rereleases. It also took them a while to get on board with DVD - they liked DIVX. 4k Bluray might be the thing they've always been worried about - the final copy of a movie you ever buy.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

TheScott2K posted:

- the final copy of a movie you ever buy.

inshallah

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

Between vanilla bluray and UHD it feels that way with a lot of these! That Back to the Future UHD set feels like the copy of BTTF I'm gonna watch forever. I don't know what else they're getting out of that print. My Criterion bluray of F For Fake? I guess HDR would be nice but let's be real - that's pretty much as good as that movie can look.

Getting Old probably figures into it but I look at my library and for most of them I don't think "there's the DVD of that movie" like I did in the pre-HD days, I think "there's that movie."

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

its true, my UHD's are like "this is kinda it". its gotten far enough at this point that I'm buying some true all timers for me on VHS. I've regressed if anything, just to feel that rush again.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

TheScott2K posted:

Between vanilla bluray and UHD it feels that way with a lot of these! That Back to the Future UHD set feels like the copy of BTTF I'm gonna watch forever. I don't know what else they're getting out of that print. My Criterion bluray of F For Fake? I guess HDR would be nice but let's be real - that's pretty much as good as that movie can look.

Getting Old probably figures into it but I look at my library and for most of them I don't think "there's the DVD of that movie" like I did in the pre-HD days, I think "there's that movie."

I don't know, I never thought that something better than Blu-Ray would come along, but here we are. Right now, I don't know if anything could top HDR, but we won't know for another 10 years.

The only reason I figured something better than DVD would come along was because my dad told me all about the invention of blue lasers in like 1999, and how they could be used to make a higher resolution DVD.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
UHD as a format feels different from blu ray just because of how few mediocre/bad ones there are compared to the early days of blu ray. Like, the lessons of those early blu rays were learned and for the most part carried over to UHD. If a catalogue film comes out on UHD it's a pretty good bet that it's going to be done the right way(there are always exceptions of course).

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

It’s that time of year again, we are one week from the Vinegar Syndrome halfway to Black Friday sale! FAQ for those who need it. Titles released before February 2022 will be on sale. That’s everything from Flesh for Frankenstein down if you’re on the website. Subscriber price is about $500-600 this time. Site goes down Monday, so if something is low stock you may want to get it now.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

TheScott2K posted:

Pure speculation, obviously.

They probably like to keep their options open, and licensing would preclude them doing their own release, or cannibalize sales of their own releases.

They might also be keeping them in their back pocket for when they need to inexpensively drive growth on D+. I could see "Fox/Touchstone movies for adults in 4K for the first time" as something they could add to the service to bring in new eyes in year 5 or something like that.

It's Disney, man. It took them a while to get on board with home video for their "evergreen" titles at all. They didn't want to do it, they wanted to keep doing theatrical rereleases. It also took them a while to get on board with DVD - they liked DIVX. 4k Bluray might be the thing they've always been worried about - the final copy of a movie you ever buy.

From what I've read by insiders, Disney either wants something to be a big moneymaker or not do it at all. Every licensing deal over the last three decades has been a "special" sort of thing. Anchor Bay getting the ABC Films and "B-tier" Disney films, Mill Creek getting B/C-tier Touchstone, Criterion only doing one-offs, and Kino Lorber initially only getting unreleased ABC Films/Touchstone/Selznick points to it being someone making a deal with the right person at the right time.

What's strange is that TCM has had a fruitful partnership with Disney for years between having a special block monthly and their classic film festivals featuring titles, so it's not like they're opposed to working with outside entities. Let alone another major!

Delzuma
Dec 4, 2004

Rageaholic posted:

You and me both. It's (Tron) supposedly in 4K already on Disney+, right? So never say never, although maybe that doesn't mean anything.

Still just the 1080p version despite my monthly checks to see if they've upgraded it.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Man, Netflix has Jackass 4.5 out now and it's in 4K HDR on there, so I imagine Jackass Forever could be too since they were likely shot at the same time using the same cameras and such. Why didn't Paramount put it out on UHD? Is the market just too niche or something? It's out on regular Blu, and I'll probably pick that up at some point. But I want to see dick trauma in glorious 4K!

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Do you guys set new stuff aside until you have time to watch it or just put everything on the shelf as soon as you get it?

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Gripweed posted:

Do you guys set new stuff aside until you have time to watch it or just put everything on the shelf as soon as you get it?
I set new stuff aside until I have time to watch it before putting it on the shelf, but I try to make a point to watch new discs ASAP to make sure they're in working order so I can return them within the return window if they aren't.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Gripweed posted:

It's actually pretty rare that I don't watch something like immediately as soon as I get my hands on it, or at least within a day or two.

The main exception is for horror, sometimes I'll wait to watch it in October, in which case yea it gets filed on the shelf until then.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Depends on the mood I'm in and what I'm buying. If it's something random it could go either way, if it's something I've looked forward to for a while and/or to the point I preordered it (I rarely preorder stuff), it's either top priority or close to it. An example of the latter was the recent release of Out of the Blue, which I wanted to watch as soon as I could and am glad I did

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
My roommate tends to keep a more "normal" schedule most of the time these days, so I have to share the TV, so now I have an enormous backlog :negative:

I used to be able to watch a bunch of movies on Saturday and Sunday from like 6am until ~3pm, now I'm lucky if I get one of those days a month.

I'm not actually complaining, because I can usually pick movies she would like, it's just untested movies, like from Vinegar Syndrome or Severin, are safer choices for me to watch when she's sleeping.

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:

Gripweed posted:

Funny you ask, the other day I was thinking a similar thing. Sometimes I get new titles and keep them together on the table or whatever for a week or two, like Turning Red/Singing in the Rain/12 Monkeys/Days of Bagnold Summer I got on the same day early last week. They don't belong together by any metric and will eventually be put on the shelf, but it feels like they're a family for now.

It will be a bit before I do watch them; need a 4k player for 12 Monkeys, and Turning Red will be at least nine months from now. By the end of my Spring Film Festival next weekend, I will have watched 65 films (including Doom House :supaburn: ) since March 27, 54 of which I'd never seen before (and 9 more I had seen before but not on the new Blu-ray.) Only 3 were streamed/downloaded. I will still have a backlog of a couple dozen titles unwatched and doubtless will be more by the time the Fall Film Festival comes around :pwn: Meanwhile Summer means nights by the river, I'm sure I'll see a few films during the coming warm months, but nothing like the past 8 weeks.

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

I intended to watch 365 films in 365 days, but moving and depression got in the way. I want to watch all the stuff I bought, but most of the time I get home from work and just slump into bed and waste time before I sleep. Plus it’s more fun to watch stuff with a friend and my roommate doesn’t want to watch movies. Need a movie buddy with the same schedule as me. :smith:

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

https://twitter.com/KLStudioClassic/status/1528027841593344002

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

I’m pretty sure I can guess the answer, but is that Eurocrypt of Christopher Lee box set a good buy if you’re a fan of classic 70s tits in a castle style horror?

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

Gripweed posted:

I’m pretty sure I can guess the answer, but is that Eurocrypt of Christopher Lee box set a good buy if you’re a fan of classic 70s tits in a castle style horror?

I still need to watch my set, but the first volume is all 60’s Lee and not all of it is horror. You’d probably fair better with the second volume. Trailers for both sets to see what kind of films are included.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xlgTsO9BoHQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rwip-vy3R-M

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Whoof. Torture Chamber of Dr. Sadism looks like a must buy, and Christopher lee in a nerd sex comedy sounds entertaining, but the rest of the movies in those bundles look pretty rough. Thanks for the heads up

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Gripweed posted:

Whoof. Torture Chamber of Dr. Sadism looks like a must buy, and Christopher lee in a nerd sex comedy sounds entertaining, but the rest of the movies in those bundles look pretty rough. Thanks for the heads up

I watched Torture Chamber for the Halloween Challenge last year and it's an incredibly silly film.

My review from then, spoiled just in case you wish to go in blind.

The Blood Demon aka Castle of the Walking aka The Snake Pit and the Pendulum aka ... my personal favorite:

The Tortures of Dr. Sadism (1967)

This just might be one of the funniest movies I've watched in a long time. Also, this is not a comedy.

Count Regula (Christopher Lee) was sentenced to death by quartering after killing a virgin girls. Thirty five years later, he's still holding a grudge and is looking to get revenge on the descendants who he hold responsible for his death.

This is a supremely silly film, which is a tone I don't think the filmmakers were going for. Before his quartering, Regula has a spiked mask (ala an Iron Maiden) affixed to his face. Except the mask is a big 'ol smiley face. The opening credits are superimposed over a scene of Regula being led from his dungeon cell to his place of execution, except I pretty sure the actors were just walking around in circles on the set. Our hero rides to an ominous castle, his journey set to some of the drat jauntiest music ever composed. Our heroine and her maid are attacked by highwayman, but when the hero chases them off, one just drapes himself across his horse and rides off. The cross through a forest in which dozens of murdered men mannequins were hanged. At the climax Lee orders his servant to slit the throat of the final girl, and they don't even try to hide the fact that it's a mannequin. It's the fakest thing ever.

Just so, so, silly.

1 out of 5 executioner hooded horses (so you don't know their identities).

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!
I’m seeing a bunch of relatively recent UHDs at $15 on Amazon per Blu-Ray.com. Seems like Warner releases. Figured people might wanna pick up Dune on the low, etc.

EDIT: Woke up this AM, bought The Suicide Squad UHD and had BBY pricematch it for $15. Good Monday!

Also, The Batman arrived yesterday (shout out USPS) and it looks great!

Oh and today my eBay purchase of Walk Hard Unrated shows up. Thank you for every blabbing about that.

It led me to see if Eurotrip Unrated was on eBay AND.... it led me to discover that it's back on the map for Jun 14. Presumably the unrated edition. Can't wait to be 15 again and be completely horrified at everyone's actions in that movie.

Boywhiz88 fucked around with this message at 14:11 on May 23, 2022

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!
Kino Lorber announced a Tropic Thunder UHD. Let’s loving gooooooooo

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Boywhiz88 posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vuziQsUrbeM

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Boywhiz88 posted:

I never bought the Blu-ray because people said that the “Director’s Cut” was just too much added poo poo that didn’t work. So my choices were a messy special version, or a barebones theatrical cut that was rarer and getting price gouged.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Always good to include both, I like the director's cut myself.

I forget, is this VCR line director's cut only or theatrical? I remembered there being some quality RDJ stuff in the longer version.

https://getyarn.io/yarn-clip/52d4b950-9155-4ad4-8bfd-ea7673c960b8

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1lMYus_Cmhk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R-fQPTwma9o

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
In "been available for a while but only in a box set" news, Patriot Games is getting an individual UHD release today. I have a lot of nostalgia for 90s Harrison Ford so I've been wanting this one to get an individual release because I had no interest in owning Sum of All Fears or Shadow Recruit.

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT
Hell yeah, Eureka is doing a UHD release of Police Story 1-3, as well as a standalone Blu of Police Story 3:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QYipGi0qPXY

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

Since we are a little more than a day a way from Vinegar Syndrome’s sale, I’m gonna throw out some thoughts on titles I’ve seen from them.

Beastmaster - an absolute classic of fantasy films. Incredibly fun film with a stellar presentation and features to compliment it.

Blades - it’s Jaws, literally beat for beat, but with a lawn mower. Very stupid, but still fun

Blood Harvest - strange and occasionally otherworldly slasher. Features Tiny Tim in a supporting role.

Christmas Evil - essential holiday horror. It feels very dirty despite not that much graphic content. It’s one of John Waters fave films and he provides a commentary track

Cutting Class - fun school slasher with a very young Brad Pitt. It’s got some good humor and a bit of mystery too.

Def by Temptation - an urban vampire tale from a black writer, director and actor, James Bond III.

Dolemite (and the other Rudy Ray Moore films) - essential blaxploitation films. They’re all ridiculously fun to watch.

Fade to Black - a slasher about a cinephile gone mad. Great movie for those who love golden age Hollywood.

Hell Comes to Frogtown - wrestler Rowdy Roddy Piper fights mutant frogs in the post-apocalypse wastes to save babes and the human race. Nuff Said

Hobgoblins - a Gremlins ripoff most known for being on MST3K. It’s a real goofy movie.

Home Grown Horrors vol 1 - a three pack of low budget horrors. All three bite off more than they can chew, but the effort and love shows.

Jack Frost - it’s the one with the killer snowman you probably saw the case for in Blockbuster. Very silly but fun.

Lust in the Dust - a western comedy staring Divine and Tab hunter. Big and bawdy. Not quite John Waters good, but still fun

Pandemonium - a comedy school slasher. Very broad in it’s jokes. Doesn’t always land, but it’s still funny.

Raw Force - kung fu, zombies, human trafficking, cannibals, evil monks, Cameron Mitchell, this movie has everything.

Spookies - a half made movie cobbled together with extensive reshoots from the producer, it’s occasionally incoherent, but always weird and wild.

Surf II - a strange tale of evil cola turning surfers in to evil zombies. Probably to closest we’ll get to a Bill & Ted or Beavis & Butt-head horror-ish movie. It does have some cringey 80’s humor about sex and gender just FYI

Tammy and the T-Rex - just buy it. It’s so silly and fun. Seriously, if you only buy one things, make it this

Ticks - a surprisingly good monster bug movie. Decently character focused and a great UHD presentation

Unmasked part 25 - a meta slasher/romantic comedy. It’s a strange film, but has such an interesting concept that it explores.

Wacko - a spoof movie for horror, think Airplane or Naked Gun. Appropriate since George Kennedy is in it. Not as good as those, but still funny.

Xtro 3: Watch the Skies - I think this was a TV movie, and it looks like one. There’s some cool alien effects near the end.

Rush Week - surprisingly good college slasher. Nothing special tho. Does have an okay gay representation, well at least for an 80s horror film. I know, low bar.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

https://twitter.com/dawnofthediscs/status/1529532975787958274

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

edit: wait, I got Vinegar Syndrome and Severin mixed up. I thought the Severin sale was up next. This question is actually about Vinegar Syndrome

Since the Christopher Lee box sets don't look like what I'm after, could you guys recommend any Severin tits in a castle type movies? Vampire Lovers is an exemplar of the genre. Classic British or European horror in a classy setting like a castle or a mansion, probably some professional men in suits having discussions in rooms, and shameless nudity.

Also, do they have any good gay stuff?

Gripweed fucked around with this message at 02:12 on May 26, 2022

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Also Disconnected, Psychos in Love, and from their partner labels Last Matinee

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I am imploring you all once again to buy Christmas Evil.

Also, because I hadn’t watched them until this past year, Surf II, Alphabet City, Fade to Black, Alien Private Eye, and Raw Force.

Honorable mention to The Outing/The Lamp just because it was filmed here in Houston and features a security guard who likes to sing opera at night. It’s not great but it has a certain charm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Ooo yeah Alphabet City loving owns